china, China, CHINA

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Hardartery

Re: china, China, CHINA

Post by Hardartery » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:09 pm

mbasic wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:11 am
Hardartery wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:12 pm Their opinions are outlandish, try to convince a Chinese national that smoking is dangerous. Go ahead, I double dog dare you.
I laugh-choked on my coffee reading^

this example is perfect
I have my moments.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:52 pm

omaniphil wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:31 am
mgil wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:07 pm There’s been some stuff said here that’s clearly wrong.

That’s about all I can say.
and said with such confidence. Color me skeptical.
There’s some stuff that, well, the actual data is contradictory.

Regarding some of the physics, making a tsunami isn’t trivial as I’m sure we can all agree. However, lighting off a transient isn’t going to be the same as seismic forces. Maybe the integral is the same but duration of the impulse matters when trying to move a fluid.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:42 am

omaniphil wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:31 am
mgil wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:07 pm There’s been some stuff said here that’s clearly wrong.

That’s about all I can say.
and said with such confidence. Color me skeptical.
he's doubtful torpedoes can get into his harbor without being invited

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:23 am

Anyone keeping up with China?

I think this is going to be the beginning of the end for their little false economy thing.

I forget the specifics, but unemployment rate for the 18-35 age range is 25% or something .... and that is their own (CCP) self-published figure. So figure its really 45%. Population growth is down, and probably has gone down for a while. ....same thing: if gov't admits its X, its probably a lot worse than that. How can GDP be 5% or whatever with those figures?

Rumors of banks failing/run on banks .... but no cash.

IDK, could this be the next world calamity? (2008 Great Recession --> C19 epidemic --> Ukraine war --> China spurring a world wide recession again)

Seafoam

Post by Seafoam » Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:14 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:23 am Anyone keeping up with China?

I think this is going to be the beginning of the end for their little false economy thing.

I forget the specifics, but unemployment rate for the 18-35 age range is 25% or something .... and that is their own (CCP) self-published figure. So figure its really 45%. Population growth is down, and probably has gone down for a while. ....same thing: if gov't admits its X, its probably a lot worse than that. How can GDP be 5% or whatever with those figures?

IDK, could this be the next world calamity? (2008 Great Recession --> C19 epidemic --> Ukraine war --> China spurring a world wide recession again)
We (USA) will wait just before they go under and then offer a helping hand with a big smile. China will be the next Japan for the West. Seeing as Korea is right now.

hector

Post by hector » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:18 pm

Seafoam wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:14 am
mbasic wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:23 am Anyone keeping up with China?

We (USA) will wait just before they go under and then offer a helping hand with a big smile. China will be the next Japan for the West. Seeing as Korea is right now.
Just read that China now has the oldest work force in the world. (Unemployed youth probably a factor there.)

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:28 pm

What are the chances China turns into an overseas Mexico of sorts ?

....like massive amounts of men sneaking into the US (via our porous southern border) for work because China is turning into a dystopian shit hole?

I bet its a whole lot easier to get the Chinese authorities (for now**) to get a 'passport' to got "visit" Mexico (for business or pleasure) than it is to get to directly to the US. Getting into Canada isn't so easy. I bet getting into Europe of someother countries (from China, being a chinese national) isn't as easy, and then .... once more.... it isn't as easy to get from Europe or another modern country into the USA, because imigration, customs, etc.
...compared to, literally, just walking across the Mexican border.

I wonder how long it will be before the Chinese mainland catches on and locks down this avenue of exodus.

---------------

Edit: googling this now, I guess its a thing that has been going on for a while now and I'm out of date with things.

hector

Post by hector » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:33 pm

mbasic wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:28 pm What are the chances China turns into an overseas Mexico of sorts ?

....like massive amounts of men sneaking into the US (via our porous southern border) for work because China is turning into a dystopian shit hole?

I bet its a whole lot easier to get the Chinese authorities (for now**) to get a 'passport' to got "visit" Mexico (for business or pleasure) than it is to get to directly to the US. Getting into Canada isn't so easy. I bet getting into Europe of someother countries (from China, being a chinese national) isn't as easy, and then .... once more.... it isn't as easy to get from Europe or another modern country into the USA, because imigration, customs, etc.

I wonder how long it will be before the Chinese mainland catches on and locks down this avenue of exodus.

---------------

Edit: googling this now, I guess its a thing that has been going on for a while now and I'm out of date with things.
The incentives for China letting men go to the US are interesting.

They have an interest in letting some number of men go abroad if they’ll send back significant remittances.
They have an interest in letting some men go if those men can later act in an intelligence capacity. (Lots of stuff to do besides reporting.)
They have an interest in letting some men go as a sort of pressure release valve, to mitigate that terrible single male to single female ratio.

But there’s some number of men they don’t want to leave. And some individuals they won’t want to leave.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:10 am

hector wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:33 pm
mbasic wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:28 pm What are the chances China turns into an overseas Mexico of sorts ?

---------------

The incentives for China letting men go to the US are interesting.

They have an interest in letting some number of men go abroad if they’ll send back significant remittances.
They have an interest in letting some men go if those men can later act in an intelligence capacity. (Lots of stuff to do besides reporting.)
They have an interest in letting some men go as a sort of pressure release valve, to mitigate that terrible single male to single female ratio.

But there’s some number of men they don’t want to leave. And some individuals they won’t want to leave.
That all makes a lot of sense.

In typically CCP/Chinese fashion, they fail at being discreet and/or at covering stuff up very well. You got 40-60 Chinese-dudes all caught enmasse? on the same "trip"? and paid the same trafficker/guide to arrange all this?