Average 2 Savage 2

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Tommy1507

Re: Average 2 Savage 2

Post by Tommy1507 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:51 am

Wayne wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:45 am

From memory I think there is a way to use the single to adjust the training day weights - think the rows are hidden. I’ve not tried it but might work for you.

Personally I’d probably just keep going as it will ramp up quickly if you’re repping put 5+ each time and take the benefit of increased work capacity from nailing large sets with little rest.
Yes i am doing the single every week for the main lifts. Maybe i'll do them every other week when the weights get heavier in the second block. At least for DL and squat. I am not logging the single so that it don't adjust the daily training weight, because i am yet not so confident in judging RPE8.

Then i'll just stick with the weight and minimal rest pause
. I think even with +3% for training max when hitting 5 more reps it will take some time to adjust to a little bit challenging weights. But that's also a nice change coming from very high intensity SS/HLM stuff

Wayne

Post by Wayne » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:08 am

Tommy1507 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:51 am
Wayne wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:45 am

From memory I think there is a way to use the single to adjust the training day weights - think the rows are hidden. I’ve not tried it but might work for you.

Personally I’d probably just keep going as it will ramp up quickly if you’re repping put 5+ each time and take the benefit of increased work capacity from nailing large sets with little rest.
Yes i am doing the single every week for the main lifts. Maybe i'll do them every other week when the weights get heavier in the second block. At least for DL and squat. I am not logging the single so that it don't adjust the daily training weight, because i am yet not so confident in judging RPE8.

Then i'll just stick with the weight and minimal rest pause
. I think even with +3% for training max when hitting 5 more reps it will take some time to adjust to a little bit challenging weights. But that's also a nice change coming from very high intensity SS/HLM stuff
Yea it is a change - does feel a little ‘wrong’ if you’re not used to it though!

On one of the tabs there is a way to adjust the auto regulation - so if you hit +5 reps you could tell the spreadsheet to adjust up your training max by a higher percentage?

FredM

Post by FredM » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:38 pm

I'm loving this. I had 2 months of effing around with no program and lost 5 lbs (second son was born) and unsurprisingly lost some strength. I'm in week 3 and my e1rms are already mostly back (squat and bench are probably never completely coming back with the weight loss, but only down 5%). Chose the 6 day split RIR template and just do them every day I can in 20-30m workouts. Averaging 5/wk. Everything feels pretty easy, takes very little time, and working out almost every day is actually helping me sleep a little better with the babies.

Highly recommend. Will post an update on actual strength gainz in a month or 2.

Looking forward to losing 10 lbs on this over the next 2-3 months and trying a bulk with the hypertrophy version. Mostly the bulking and getting jacked-er part. Not looking forward to sets of 12-15 pulls/squats.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:49 am

Finishing up the SBS standard mesocycle 1 in a couple of weeks. Wanting to run the SBS Hypertrophy. I do the 5X per week. Goals are to generally maintain strength and look good naked.

Any recommendations on movement selection, rest time, reps and sets?

Current plan:
---Default reps and sets
---2 minute rest periods
---Movement selection:
HB Squat, Leg Press, Eccentric HB Squat
Bench, Incline, DB Bench
Deadlift, RDL
OHP, DB Press
Pulldown, NG Pulldown, DB Row, Chest Supported Row (all at 3x10)

dw

Post by dw » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:17 am

aurelius wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:49 am Finishing up the SBS standard mesocycle 1 in a couple of weeks. Wanting to run the SBS Hypertrophy. I do the 5X per week. Goals are to generally maintain strength and look good naked.

Any recommendations on movement selection, rest time, reps and sets?

Current plan:
---Default reps and sets
---2 minute rest periods
---Movement selection:
HB Squat, Leg Press, Eccentric HB Squat
Bench, Incline, DB Bench
Deadlift, RDL
OHP, DB Press
Pulldown, NG Pulldown, DB Row, Chest Supported Row (all at 3x10)

Not sure if you've read other posts about this transition before but you should put some thought into what TMs you want to start with. I found 85% of my strength program TMs worked pretty well although your average set RPE may be kind of low at first.

100% of your strength program TM will be a mistake even if your conditioning is very good. If you compare the progression logic of the two programs you'll find the TMs don't imply the same level of strength in both contexts.

Two minute rests seems miserable to me for the more exhausting movements like squats.

Cleverusername

Post by Cleverusername » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:19 pm

Just completed my second go around with the reps to failure template. (Just the first 14wks)
This time I tried the 5x frequency. I worked out Monday -Friday.

Loved the short sessions with the 5x. Left plenty of time to do accessories/ bro work.

My main movements: beltless SGDL, TnG bench, OHP, conventional deadlift.
Secondary movements: CGB, Medium grip Bench, seated OHP, Lunges, RFESS, Axle deadlift.
Misc upper back everyday

Did this whole run on a small calorie deficit.

-5lbs body weight
E1RMs
+5 Bench & OHP
+16 deadlift
+25 BL SGDL

Going to run the 5x again. Keeping it all the same except for the bench movements.

InsideOutside

Post by InsideOutside » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:22 am

Coming up the week 4 of the LF last set RIR 4x per week split.

I was finding myself feeling beat up when the frequency was higher on other programs but it seems that LF and me click well.
Mindset wise it’s me saying it’s either Upper or Lower and away I go

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Sun May 09, 2021 3:51 pm

How many tricep accesories is too much when benching and pressing literally almost everyday of the week on this program? I've been doing four sets of lying tricep extensions once a week but that don't feel like enough

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Mon May 10, 2021 6:18 am

Glad to see this forum back up!

I'll be running the SBS template for the first time in 2 weeks - using the Hypertrophy template but going for double progression for the accessory work (if all reps are completed -> add +1 rep on each set next week, and when target end range is met -> increase weight by x% and start over from minimum rep range) [hence why the different colour scheme - I used the program builder].

My workout week is always Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. All accessory work supersetted.

I'll be doing direct calves and biceps work twice a week because they don't seem to grow (to be honest, I neglect calves and usually only carry out 3 sets of direct biceps work a week, so I'll try to increase volume). I haven't added any tricep accessory work due to pressing every day - but I may add some EZ triceps extensions (similar to Lord Muffin's post above) if I feel I have the capacity for it - plus depends on how long my workouts will take.

My questions:
  • 1) I want to swap lunges with something else - but I'm not sure what. I already do back squats and front squats (I lover the latter). I was thinking buying a dip belt and come up with a form of belt squat? Or a landmine squat?
  • 2) Given the way my workout days are structured, would you change around any accessories?

Wayne

Post by Wayne » Mon May 10, 2021 1:27 pm

You could try split squats if you hate yourself enough?

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Tue May 11, 2021 1:26 am

I currently do DB split squats and I vehemently hate them!

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue May 11, 2021 4:55 am

LoudMuffin wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:51 pm How many tricep accesories is too much when benching and pressing literally almost everyday of the week on this program? I've been doing four sets of lying tricep extensions once a week but that don't feel like enough
Personally I don't think there is such a thing as too much triceps lol...

Not sure what you have in that garage but if you've got a curl bar and an incline bench (or a bench you can prop up on an incline) incline skullcrushers are boss. If you're limited on gear a much cheaper option would be to get a few bands (or even one honestly) and use it for pressdowns, etc.

Edit: You can also start close grip benching in one of the bench slots... I don't remember exactly how A2S2 is laid out but it can be done I'm sure...

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue May 11, 2021 5:01 am

xuerebx wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:18 am 1) I want to swap lunges with something else - but I'm not sure what. I already do back squats and front squats (I lover the latter). I was thinking buying a dip belt and come up with a form of belt squat? Or a landmine squat?
If you're already doing two bilateral squats (I can't believe I'm about to say this) I'd say suck it up and keep a unilateral movement in. Got an SSB? Hatfield split squats aren't as horrible as normal split squats.
xuerebx wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:18 am 2) Given the way my workout days are structured, would you change around any accessories?
Same as LM... more triceps lol

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Tue May 11, 2021 7:31 am

Thanks for your input! I'll add some incline skullcrushers with the EZ bar. Used to do them with dumbbells but don't feel the stretch as much as with an EZ bar.

As for an SSB - unfortunately I don't have one. Tried looking around locally and no one sells them, and they become pricey to import them to Malta. It seems I'll have to suck it up and do split squats...maybe I'll try with a barbell instead of with dumbbells.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue May 11, 2021 8:16 am

xuerebx wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:31 am Thanks for your input! I'll add some incline skullcrushers with the EZ bar. Used to do them with dumbbells but don't feel the stretch as much as with an EZ bar.

As for an SSB - unfortunately I don't have one. Tried looking around locally and no one sells them, and they become pricey to import them to Malta. It seems I'll have to suck it up and do split squats...maybe I'll try with a barbell instead of with dumbbells.
I also found that doing splits with my rear foot on a bench (bulgarian, elevated, whatever you want to call them) were a lot less horrible than straight up split squats...

AllM1ght

Post by AllM1ght » Tue May 11, 2021 1:31 pm

Chipping in on split debate.
I like front foot elevated the most, with barbell

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Wed May 12, 2021 12:32 pm

@AIIM1ght - similar to this?

But would you hold the barbell like a deadlift (sort of), or on your back?

dw

Post by dw » Wed May 12, 2021 1:37 pm

xuerebx wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:32 pm @AIIM1ght - similar to this?

I hadn't heard of this before but the ROM looks very good. I did non-elevated split squats for about four weeks and it always bothered me that my knee didn't flex nearly as much as it does during squats.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed May 12, 2021 9:01 pm

xuerebx wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:32 pm @AIIM1ght - similar to this?

Nobody was talking to me, but if you wanted to hold the bar in front, you could use a Zercher hold. A deadlift hold would be tricky.

Otherwise, hold it across your back.

ETA: I guess you could use a Jefferson deadlift setup, if you really wanted.

AllM1ght

Post by AllM1ght » Wed May 12, 2021 11:33 pm

Yeah similar to that, I just have the bar high bar position.
Balance isn't as demanding with these as rear foot elevated.
Can vary height and stance with then, I usually use a thick 20kg bumper to stand on.