Average 2 Savage 2

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

dw

Re: Average 2 Savage 2

Post by dw » Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:19 pm

dw wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:46 pm Just found out my gym has a multi hip machine (that machine featured in the article for standing abduction and flexion).

Definitely going to start using this. I was actually thinking of giving up on the seated abduction/adduction machine anyway.

Tried hip flexion. I like it but the max weight of the machine is too light. Unsure if shortening the radius of the thing you push would make it harder? (I'm bad at mechanics.)

Otherwise rep ranges are going to be way too high.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:53 pm

dw wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:19 pm
dw wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:46 pm Just found out my gym has a multi hip machine (that machine featured in the article for standing abduction and flexion).

Definitely going to start using this. I was actually thinking of giving up on the seated abduction/adduction machine anyway.

Tried hip flexion. I like it but the max weight of the machine is too light. Unsure if shortening the radius of the thing you push would make it harder? (I'm bad at mechanics.)

What's "too high?"

dw

Post by dw » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:13 pm

Renascent wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:53 pm

What's "too high?"
I did 5 sets of 10 thinking RPE was reasonably high and then decided to AMRAP last set to be sure and just gave up in frustration at 15 reps. Felt like I had 20 or so. And this is a novel movement so that number will likely go up pretty fast.

I'm not saying too high for hypertrophy to be possible but too high for me to be willing to do it. It's also unilateral which makes it twice the slog.

dw

Post by dw » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:20 pm

Update #2:

Used the multi hip machine for standing leg abduction. Felt really good, novel stimulus, glutes sore in a unique way.

Definitely will sub for seated abduction and will probably get some ankle attachments so I can do it on cable stacks where multi hip machines are not available (I have the impression these are rather rare but I never would have noticed them before).

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:22 pm

I've nearly finished an 8 month cut and lost just shy of 10kg. My next step (as suggested by everyone, include Trexler himself!) is to go on a very slow 1 year bulk. I've decided to run A2S Hypertrophy.

I can only workout 3x a week, and 4 exercises per workout (MAX 5 which I may miss sometimes). I might also put in some direct ab work after a workout, again depending on time. This is the life of a father with a new born.

Anyway, I've asked this question in the A2S subreddit but thought of getting some more insight here. I want to get the most out ofy little time available, and my objective is purely hypertrophy.

1. I was suggested to remove the leg curl and extensions with some form of DB deadlift (or good morning?) and DB split squat. Makes sense - although I would prefer non -single leg exercises due to time constraints.

2. I replaced the BB OHP with CG bench press (to have some tricep focus) and removed the OHP auxiliary. I don't feel I get anything out of the BB OHP.

3. Optional accessories which I may super-set are incline DB curls and rear delt flyes. I think I'll use a myo-rep approach for these.

4. My plan is to have 4 good sets for each exercise (and 3 for back + accessories following a "meet 12 reps target for all 3 sets and then increase weight" scheme). Any changes in the quick set-up tab which you've considered? I increased the intensity by 5% on the romanian DL so that the weight is higher but there are less reps as high rep DL wear me out very quickly.

Thanks! Any input is highly appreciated. I'll be running this starting FY2023.

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:30 pm

xuerebx wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:22 pm Thanks! Any input is highly appreciated. I'll be running this starting FY2023.
If I were to run something like this 3x a week with hard session time cutoffs I'd probably pick lifts with a higher raw stimulus magnitude (like a DL variant instead of a leg curl, maybe some kind of barbell press over a dumbbell or machine press), and maybe make the last lift of the day (and maybe the accessory work) some sort of myorep scheme instead of doing 4 sets across on it. I'm sure this will still work fine either way.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:04 am

xuerebx wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:22 pm I've nearly finished an 8 month cut and lost just shy of 10kg. My next step (as suggested by everyone, include Trexler himself!) is to go on a very slow 1 year bulk. I've decided to run A2S Hypertrophy.

I can only workout 3x a week, and 4 exercises per workout (MAX 5 which I may miss sometimes). I might also put in some direct ab work after a workout, again depending on time. This is the life of a father with a new born.

Anyway, I've asked this question in the A2S subreddit but thought of getting some more insight here. I want to get the most out ofy little time available, and my objective is purely hypertrophy.

1. I was suggested to remove the leg curl and extensions with some form of DB deadlift (or good morning?) and DB split squat. Makes sense - although I would prefer non -single leg exercises due to time constraints.

2. I replaced the BB OHP with CG bench press (to have some tricep focus) and removed the OHP auxiliary. I don't feel I get anything out of the BB OHP.

3. Optional accessories which I may super-set are incline DB curls and rear delt flyes. I think I'll use a myo-rep approach for these.

4. My plan is to have 4 good sets for each exercise (and 3 for back + accessories following a "meet 12 reps target for all 3 sets and then increase weight" scheme). Any changes in the quick set-up tab which you've considered? I increased the intensity by 5% on the romanian DL so that the weight is higher but there are less reps as high rep DL wear me out very quickly.

Thanks! Any input is highly appreciated. I'll be running this starting FY2023.
Why do you train your arms so little ?

Unless you already have those 24 inches pythons I would add direct arm work every workout.

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:40 am

janoycresva wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:30 pm
xuerebx wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:22 pm Thanks! Any input is highly appreciated. I'll be running this starting FY2023.
If I were to run something like this 3x a week with hard session time cutoffs I'd probably pick lifts with a higher raw stimulus magnitude (like a DL variant instead of a leg curl, maybe some kind of barbell press over a dumbbell or machine press), and maybe make the last lift of the day (and maybe the accessory work) some sort of myorep scheme instead of doing 4 sets across on it. I'm sure this will still work fine either way.
Valid points, and I get what you mean about RSM. I just thought that the curl and extension variation was shown to be more hypertrophic on certain regions of the leg. But anyway, I'll change them accordingly. Thanks!

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:43 am

@CheekiBreekiFitness lol, barely 14". It's a time constraint that's why I don't have them after every workout. In the past I did have arms after every workout but I didn't really see much difference to be honest. But that's just me and my luck...

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:51 am

xuerebx wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:43 am @CheekiBreekiFitness lol, barely 14". It's a time constraint that's why I don't have them after every workout. In the past I did have arms after every workout but I didn't really see much difference to be honest. But that's just me and my luck...
I mean look at it this way: you're training your legs every workout, but you don't have time to train arms correctly even once a week.

Based on my experience (I have really bad arm genetics so developing them is a challenge) if you want your arms to grow it has to be done with enough volume and intensity, and this requires you have some energy to allocate specifically to them. Doing 3 sets of triceps pushdowns far away from failure every workout might be very low stimulus even if you train them every workout.

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:13 am

Well they are hit indirectly through rows and chin ups, but I get what you mean. What would you suggest for day 2 (insead of rear delt flye) and on day 3?

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:43 am

xuerebx wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:13 am Well they are hit indirectly through rows and chin ups, but I get what you mean. What would you suggest for day 2 (insead of rear delt flye) and on day 3?
Here's what I would do:
- don't remove the rear delts flyes, just superset them with one of your multi-joint exercises (you'll need those rear delts !)
- for each day, pick one exercise for triceps (lying triceps extension, dumbbell triceps extension, JM press, etc.), take a weight that's 10-15RM, and do as many reps you can in 7 minutes. Don't be afraid to go to failure. Do the same for biceps (incline curls, cable curls, ez bar curls etc). That's 14 minutes per session, and that should be plenty of volume.

Also in general get your work capacity up so that you can superset things and cram a lot of volume in those 3 sessions a week. If you're lifting for hypertrophy this is the name of the game. If you want a good example of how much volume can be done in 3 one hour sessions a week check out MythicalStrength doing 5/3/1 Building the Monolith

dw

Post by dw » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:45 am

xuerebx wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:43 am @CheekiBreekiFitness lol, barely 14". It's a time constraint that's why I don't have them after every workout. In the past I did have arms after every workout but I didn't really see much difference to be honest. But that's just me and my luck...

You're doing something wrong. The concept of stalling shouldn't really apply to hypertrophy work unless you're very advanced imo.

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:11 am

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:43 am
xuerebx wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:13 am Well they are hit indirectly through rows and chin ups, but I get what you mean. What would you suggest for day 2 (insead of rear delt flye) and on day 3?
Here's what I would do:
- don't remove the rear delts flyes, just superset them with one of your multi-joint exercises (you'll need those rear delts !)
- for each day, pick one exercise for triceps (lying triceps extension, dumbbell triceps extension, JM press, etc.), take a weight that's 10-15RM, and do as many reps you can in 7 minutes. Don't be afraid to go to failure. Do the same for biceps (incline curls, cable curls, ez bar curls etc). That's 14 minutes per session, and that should be plenty of volume.

Also in general get your work capacity up so that you can superset things and cram a lot of volume in those 3 sessions a week. If you're lifting for hypertrophy this is the name of the game. If you want a good example of how much volume can be done in 3 one hour sessions a week check out MythicalStrength doing 5/3/1 Building the Monolith
Thanks a lot man, I appreciate it! I will try to include in between sets of lower body compound movements instead of sitting around waiting for the timer. I usually have 30-40 minutes for a workout so I need to be super efficient.

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:37 am

dw wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:45 am

You're doing something wrong. The concept of stalling shouldn't really apply to hypertrophy work unless you're very advanced imo.
I'm pretty sure I just have below average genetics when it comes to building muscle and making appreciable strength gains. I've been working out for 2 years and progess has always been slow. I cut for 8 months because I was skinny fat and unhappy with how I looked (after a failed bulk). Now I'm just...normal? Hopefully the coming slow bulk will be different. Still look and feel much better than 2 years ago , but still...

dw

Post by dw » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:55 am

xuerebx wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:37 am
dw wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:45 am

I'm pretty sure I just have below average genetics when it comes to building muscle and making appreciable strength gains. I've been working out for 2 years and progess has always been slow. I cut for 8 months because I was skinny fat and unhappy with how I looked (after a failed bulk). Now I'm just...normal? Hopefully the coming slow bulk will be different. Still look and feel much better than 2 years ago , but still...

To me poor genetics just means you need more volume than the average person at your stage of advancement. And I am speaking from experience.

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:05 pm

Yes you're most probably right man. It sucks but I've got no choice but to just do more!

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:06 am

Thanks for your advice guys! I've updated the program with as much volume as I think I can fit in 45min.

EDIT 05/12: @CheekiBreekiFitness tried the myoreps today for bis and tris and only took an additional 10min, which I think I can reduce slightly if I ready the weights efficiently. Thanks for suggesting myoreps! I always thought that was a technique for advanced lifters.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:27 am

xuerebx wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:06 am Thanks for your advice guys! I've updated the program with as much volume as I think I can fit in 45min.

EDIT 05/12: @CheekiBreekiFitness tried the myoreps today for bis and tris and only took an additional 10min, which I think I can reduce slightly if I ready the weights efficiently. Thanks for suggesting myoreps! I always thought that was a technique for advanced lifters.
Glad you like it. Actually it's been a staple in bodybuilding training since immemorial times, with different names (myoreps, rest pause training, DC training etc). I think that there's no such thing as training advanced, intermediate and novice. The human physiology does not change miracoulously when you get your bench your squat and your deadlift above some arbitrary numbers. Lifting is not complicated: lift a heavy weight many times and you'll get bigger muscles. That applies to pretty much everyone.

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:32 am

Yes you're obviously right - I just thought that didn't want to "major in the minors" by utilizing techniques other than straight sets at my stage but glad to see I was wrong.