Tip Toeing in my Vibrams

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Renascent
Desperado

Re: Tip Toeing in my Vibrams

Post by Renascent » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:28 pm

Hardartery wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:29 am I poked fun at the Sailor Moon thing a little, but I have been known to listen to this on loop for a heavy workout:
This doesn't strike me as odd at all. I know quite a few people will listen to classical/orchestra/a cappella stuff during workouts, but I think I need a beat. Cocteau Twins (on occasion) is about as far as I can stray from needing some kind of steady rhythm.

Ironically, I used to find lifting with music to be really distracting. Got used to having an entire, silent gym to myself way back, and it would jar the shit out of me whenever the football kids would show up and plug their phones into a speaker (or asshole trainers who would bring the modern-day equivalent of a boom box to create "ambience" for their clients).

Lifting inside of a house (and a much smaller space) made me realize I'd prefer not to hear my joints click and squelch the whole time, so I'm definitely a pro-music lifter now.

Besides, the right bangers get me amped as fuck.
Hardartery wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:29 amJust to throw it our there that I am not less weird than anyone else and meant no ill will, just joking around.
Nah, it's fine. I took no offense.
Last edited by Renascent on Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:31 pm

augeleven wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:04 am Oh we’re spamming Renascent’s log with workout songs? Cool.

I’m not a big jpop fan, but this song came across my radar due to its unnecessarily complex chorus rhythms.

Specifically around 1:30
Honestly, this ain't far off from what I've been listening to lately. Been on a synthwave kick for a few months now, and it doesn't seem to be letting up. My transition into middle-age will have a soundtrack!

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:32 pm

(8.16.2022)
Cable Pull-Aparts
30 x 12 x 5

Cable Overhead Front Raise
30 x 12 x 5

Single-Arm Cable Y-Raise
15 x 12 x 3

This was supposed to be a lower-body session, but my schedule got thrown off again.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:40 pm

(8.17.2022)
Bench Press
135 x 10
225 x 10
245 x 10
275 x 5 x 2
305 x 2 x 5
315 x 1 x 3
295 x 2 x 2
275 x 3 x 3

Some work stress may be letting up, though some major life changes are set to take place in less than two weeks. Being a creature of habit, I've been dreading the transition and probably not reacting well (internally, anyway).

We finally have running water in the gym/storage property, but every step forward means two steps back, so the list of obstacles continues to grow. For now, I would just like to reestablish a rhythm that won't threaten actual progress with lifting. Raring to sink that fucking four-plate squat and divert my focus towards something else, but I am not certain I'm ready to fail.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:39 am

'Major life changes' has an ominous ring to it.

I, like you, do not react well to these internally. We should start a club.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:19 am

Renascent wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:31 pm
augeleven wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:04 am Oh we’re spamming Renascent’s log with workout songs? Cool.

I’m not a big jpop fan, but this song came across my radar due to its unnecessarily complex chorus rhythms.

Specifically around 1:30
Honestly, this ain't far off from what I've been listening to lately. Been on a synthwave kick for a few months now, and it doesn't seem to be letting up. My transition into middle-age will have a soundtrack!
I find this stuff okay for accessory work, much like I will listen to some Funk (Like James Brown or the million one hit wonder songs of the era) or The Black Keys or some Classic Rock like what was on the radio when I was in High School. When I go heavy it needs to be something more like the above Opera or heavy stuff like some Pantera or old Metallica or something. It needs to either pound the adrenaline into my system or transport me to the right headspac for focus. That thing that Dave Tate talks about, among others, of getting your head essentially in it's own world is easier to do with that stuff.
In that vein, I remember having a conversation with Schoonie (Brian Schoonveld, who you guys may never have heard of) at a Boston contest. We're sitting there between at the Conan's Wheel watching the guys go, I was resetting the implement between competitors. We were watching each guy come up and do his thing to psyche up and analyzing, and one guy comes upo and is kind of freaking out a little and yelling at himself and foing the whole "My family is being attacked" scenario mentally to get himself up for it. Schoonie leans over and says (Quietly, so as not to mess the guy up) how none of the big Pro lifters do that, he'd been studying everybody at contests and talking to the big name guys and NONE of them do that. They all get into the headspace quietly and without the yelling. I have, since then, seen a couple of guys that are big name do the wild yelling thing, but not many. It's kind of like the loud guy at the gym, he usually isn't that impressive but he wants everyone's attention. It made me break down my approach a little. Just to be clear, I'm talking about when you go into that "Zone" where you can't hear anyone and get literal tunnel vision for the lift. Like, it's hard to see the ref or hear him, you are just kind of guessing whether or not you saw the signal sometimes.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:13 pm

MarkKO wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:39 am 'Major life changes' has an ominous ring to it.
A family member is moving (back) in, indefinitely. Not a bad thing in itself, but I don't do well with shakeups of routines.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:23 pm

Hardartery wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:19 amI find this stuff okay for accessory work, much like I will listen to some Funk (Like James Brown or the million one hit wonder songs of the era) or The Black Keys or some Classic Rock like what was on the radio when I was in High School. When I go heavy it needs to be something more like the above Opera or heavy stuff like some Pantera or old Metallica or something. It needs to either pound the adrenaline into my system or transport me to the right headspac for focus.
Metallica works for me, but they're one of those bands that I come back to seasonally. Every couple of months, I suddenly get bitten by an earbug and wind up listening to them for days on end.

When I worked a manual labor job some time ago, "Fight Fire With Fire" was the song I'd get amped to during the drive to work.
Hardartery wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:19 am... one guy comes upo and is kind of freaking out a little and yelling at himself and foing the whole "My family is being attacked" scenario mentally to get himself up for it.
I usually don't mind personal rituals, but this made me giggle, because it vaguely reminded me of the story Arnold told in Pumping Iron about giving the wrong advices to some guy who ended up getting kicked offstage at a bodybuilding show for screaming and yelling.

But yeah, in a gym setting, that shit is annoying when somebody's purposely overselling their own enthusiasm.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:25 pm

(8.18.2022)
Barbell Hang Rows
225 x 11 x 2 (Pronated)
225 x 11 x 2 (Supinated)
255 x 7 x 2 (Pronated)
255 x 7 x 2 (Supinated)

Weighted Neck Curls
35 x 30 x 2
40 x 20 x 2

Landmine T-Bar Rows
200 x 10 x 8

Straight-Arm Pulldowns
100 x 9 x 5
90 x 10 x 2

Kneeling Single-Arm Iliac Pulldowns
50 x 12 x 4

Standing Single-Arm Cable Reverse Flyes
25 x 10 x 3

Standing Cable Crunch
95 x 25 x 3

Setup needs work. If I can figure out a way to set up some kind of brace between the rack posts without obstructing the path of the plates, I'm there.

Ab Wheel Rollouts
10 x 4

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:44 pm

Renascent wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:13 pm
MarkKO wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:39 am 'Major life changes' has an ominous ring to it.
A family member is moving (back) in, indefinitely. Not a bad thing in itself, but I don't do well with shakeups of routines.
Very understandable

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:12 pm

(8.19.2022)
Overhead Press
155 x 7
165 x 7
175 x 6 x 2
185 x 4 x 3
195 x 3 x 2
205 x 2 x 3
210 x FAIL
210 x 1

Yazmin Press
185 x 7 x 5
195 x 5 x 3

Cable Hip Adduction
40 x 11 x 4
30 x 16 x 2

Rope Pushdowns
65 x 15 x 2
75 x 10 x 2
80 x 7 x 2

Barbell Hang Shrugs
225 x 20 x 2
315 x 10 x 3

Overhead RTEs
80 x 12 x 4, 10 x 2

Incline Dumbbell Hammer-Strength Low Rows
40 x 15 x 3

Standing Cable Y Raise
15 x 10 x 3

Seated Incline Dumbbell Curls
25 x 12 x 3

Ab Wheel Rollouts
10 x 4

For the second time this week, someone used the measuring cup next to the coffee maker for something other than making coffee. Seems it was used to measure peanut oil, or coconut oil, or olive oil -- not sure which -- and just left there.

Not realizing this, I made and consumed about a good three cups during today's session, and didn't figure out until much later that the reason I kept having to make quick bathroom breaks during rest periods was due to what was basically a laxative.

Shit breaks aside, this session still went on pretty long. Didn't exactly intend for that to happen, even if it's Friday night.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:44 am

Maybe some idiot was making bulletproof coffee.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:07 am

MarkKO wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:44 am Maybe some idiot was making bulletproof coffee.
Nah, I think it was just an honest mistake.

It's a pain in the ass to have to run the auto-clean mode again, though.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:09 pm

MarkKO wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:44 am Maybe some idiot was making bulletproof coffee.
I am thoroughly mystified by this. In what reality is this doing anything different than putting cream in your coffee? From a straight up nutritional point of view. I mean, unless you're using salted butter, in which case you could add salt to your coffee with the cream. Mmmmmmm, yummy, lol.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:02 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:09 pm
I am thoroughly mystified by this. In what reality is this doing anything different than putting cream in your coffee? From a straight up nutritional point of view. I mean, unless you're using salted butter, in which case you could add salt to your coffee with the cream. Mmmmmmm, yummy, lol.
I suspect it was my kid's doing. ADHD-diagnosed, slightly spectrummy (I forget the exact clinical term they gave us). Where mindfulness is concerned, he and I are practically opposites. Whenever he's tasked with cleaning up the house, I always explicitly request that he leave my keys or any other daily-use belongings exactly where he found them, unmolested, or else I wind up on a nationwide search for some shit I really need in order to leave the house.

After washing dishes, he never puts everything back in the proper place. Kept rearranging toothbrushes for some reason last week, which annoyed the shit out of me. I think he even ate a giant block of gouda cheese in a sitting while doing chores, probably out of boredom; supposedly he has no recollection of even doing it.

He's been on a brownie kick lately, and I suspect he was cooking or something. He won't cop to it, though.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:10 pm

Renascent wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:02 pm
I suspect it was my kid's doing. ADHD-diagnosed, slightly spectrummy (I forget the exact clinical term they gave us). Where mindfulness is concerned, he and I are practically opposites. Whenever he's tasked with cleaning up the house, I always explicitly request that he leave my keys or any other daily-use belongings exactly where he found them, unmolested, or else I wind up on a nationwide search for some shit I really need in order to leave the house.

After washing dishes, he never puts everything back in the proper place. Kept rearranging toothbrushes for some reason last week, which annoyed the shit out of me. I think he even ate a giant block of gouda cheese in a sitting while doing chores, probably out of boredom; supposedly he has no recollection of even doing it.

He's been on a brownie kick lately, and I suspect he was cooking or something. He won't cop to it, though.
He most probably has a perfectly good reason for doing stuff like that, which makes sense to him and no-one else. Makes it hard to explain.

My wife is similar in that respect. She doesn't look at things the way I do.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:29 pm

MarkKO wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:10 pm

He most probably has a perfectly good reason for doing stuff like that, which makes sense to him and no-one else. Makes it hard to explain.

I was thinking that it sounds like me and my wife. My stuff has a place, and if it isn't there I will straight up leave the house without it and not realize it. It has to be where it goes for me, and she never puts anything in the same place twice. Ever. So, I'm used to that bit, we've been married almost 30 years. I just don't understand the Bulletproof coffee thing. What is supposedly in the butter that isn't in cream? Having made butter, I am at a loss to understand why someone would ruin the flavour of their coffee for no discernible benefit....

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:11 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:29 pm

I was thinking that it sounds like me and my wife. My stuff has a place, and if it isn't there I will straight up leave the house without it and not realize it. It has to be where it goes for me, and she never puts anything in the same place twice. Ever. So, I'm used to that bit, we've been married almost 30 years. I just don't understand the Bulletproof coffee thing. What is supposedly in the butter that isn't in cream? Having made butter, I am at a loss to understand why someone would ruin the flavour of their coffee for no discernible benefit....
It was a fad. Like most fads, it was taken up by people who don't think much before doing something. I seem to remember that it was part of this movement that held if you significantly increased fat consumption you would burn more fat and lower cholesterol or something.

I think you were meant to use coconut oil instead of butter because that fat was superior or some such. Certainly the price is superior, which I suspect had something to do with it.

I think the next fad was eating only meat. Or something.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:20 pm

For the most part, I think this is true. This is also how my wife attempted to describe the manifestations of his diagnoses to me, back when my understanding (and tolerance?) of it was rather poor.

Dude just straight up gets bored doing mundane tasks, which I understand to a large degree. "He creates his own stimuli" is how a behavioral therapist once described it to us.

My concern arises whenever he's either unable or unwilling to articulate the logic behind his actions and movements. In a world where "good kids" and "bad kids" are defined by the ability to sit still, shut up, and defer (or respond quickly) to authority figures (of questionable stature) when expected, kids like him can meet trouble in the unlikeliest of scenarios.

He used to catch a lot of shit from strangers for stuff like not using "ma'am" or "sir" when addressing adults, or even acknowledging people in positions of power that would normally be seen as obvious. As a household, we generally don't subscribe to a lot of social conventions that are considered normal in our surroundings, and I've heard that there are genetic elements to things like ADHD, so there's that.

On the other hand, I'm of the opinion that a lot of "conditions" are over-diagnosed, and everyone's got a place somewhere on any given spectrum. I think the strictures of modern society haven't yet caught up to the modern human brain.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:52 pm

Renascent wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:20 pm

For the most part, I think this is true. This is also how my wife attempted to describe the manifestations of his diagnoses to me, back when my understanding (and tolerance?) of it was rather poor.

Dude just straight up gets bored doing mundane tasks, which I understand to a large degree. "He creates his own stimuli" is how a behavioral therapist once described it to us.

My concern arises whenever he's either unable or unwilling to articulate the logic behind his actions and movements. In a world where "good kids" and "bad kids" are defined by the ability to sit still, shut up, and defer (or respond quickly) to authority figures (of questionable stature) when expected, kids like him can meet trouble in the unlikeliest of scenarios.

He used to catch a lot of shit from strangers for stuff like not using "ma'am" or "sir" when addressing adults, or even acknowledging people in positions of power that would normally be seen as obvious. As a household, we generally don't subscribe to a lot of social conventions that are considered normal in our surroundings, and I've heard that there are genetic elements to things like ADHD, so there's that.

On the other hand, I'm of the opinion that a lot of "conditions" are over-diagnosed, and everyone's got a place somewhere on any given spectrum. I think the strictures of modern society haven't yet caught up to the modern human brain.
It's got to be harder where stupid little conventions like that are held in such high regard. There really is no purpose to them beyond giving certain individuals arbitrary superiority based on nothing they have actually achieved or do but simply because of where they happen to be sitting or standing.

Hell, *I* can't always explain the logic behind why I do things the way I do anyway. It's just the right way as far as my mind works and that's about it.