Tip Toeing in my Vibrams

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

DCR

Re: Tip Toeing in my Vibrams

Post by DCR » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:56 am

SnakePlissken wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:18 am Louisiana is a dump and there are way better places to live and way better jobs outside of it.
… as I’m spending more and more time here and eventually gonna be effectively living here full time while keeping a crash pad in NY. :|

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:08 pm

DCR wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:56 am
SnakePlissken wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:18 am Louisiana is a dump and there are way better places to live and way better jobs outside of it.
… as I’m spending more and more time here and eventually gonna be effectively living here full time while keeping a crash pad in NY. :|
Dont let what i said give you too much negative bias. A lot of people from out of state like it there, but when you grow up there you see a lot of the bad shit and go somewhere else and realize where you came from had a lot of bad qualities.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:27 pm

broseph wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:38 pmHope you can get out of there.
Definitely working on this.

Once a kind of apathy sets in, it can be mistaken for arrogance (which wouldn't do me any favors). Even as an introvert, I'm starting to resent how much I've come to dread basic, daily interactions.
MarkKO wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:54 pmI wish you could come over here. You would love it.
A break from the States would probably do a lot of good right now.
Hardartery wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:40 pmSometimes you need a push to leave a place, and they are providing it.
Heh.

During a heated conversation with my boss awhile back, she asked, "If you hate working with me so much, why don't you leave?"

When I responded that I was most definitely working on that, she got super offended, which honestly kinda caught me off guard. Then she made some weird, miscalculated threat about her own retirement date.

Whatever drugs these people are on, I want no part.
DCR wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:11 pmNot to bring football into your place, as I know it’s not your thing, but Baton Rouge is going to be total mayhem tomorrow.  I dunno why pics off my phone suddenly are too big to attach here, but the highlight of my day was the Zippy’s sign: NICK SABAN LIKES TO VAPE AND LISTENS TO NICKELBACK.
Honestly, I've nothing against football as an athletic pursuit. I was never cut out for it, but I respect the skills it takes to be a competent player at any position.

While I know that fanaticism exists in many different sports (and other "unathletic" forms of entertainment, for that matter), there are aspects to the culture down here that never stuck to me.

I have no idea why so many lawyer billboards have the faces of college football players all over them. Seems like a lazy show of folksiness.

I've known way too many dudes who acted as though their dicks might fall off if LSU didn't absolutely trounce some other unlucky, outmatched team in a blowout -- or a protracted assault.

The two things I've always had to keep under wraps, in order to keep a job, are my atheism and the fact that I don't watch or follow football. I could probably survive a sex scandal or being outed as a spouse abuser, but not those other, aforementioned sins.
SnakePlissken wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:18 am... boomers complaining about young people that waste hours of their weekend getting fat watching football are laughable.
Yeah, it's that false sense of superiority that always gets in my ass.

It was always hard for me to listen to armchair quarterbacks (uncles, bosses, talking heads at the barbershop), especially the ones whose identities tended to hinge very strongly on the performance of a sports team. I always read such traits as a dearth of personality, however unfair that might be (I'm mostly speaking of people who never had any interest in physical pursuits of any kind, but have plenty of criticisms about what a WR or QB "should've" done).
SnakePlissken wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:18 amTbh you should leave Louisiana if your roots aren't too deep there. Louisiana is a dump and there are way better places to live and way better jobs outside of it.
Roots here are deep enough, I guess, that it's advantageous enough for me to remain here for now. I also don't mind the slow pace of living and the low-ish cost of living, but otherwise, yeah, I agree with you.
Last edited by Renascent on Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:31 pm

SnakePlissken wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:08 pm
DCR wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:56 am
Dont let what i said give you too much negative bias. A lot of people from out of state like it there, but when you grow up there you see a lot of the bad shit and go somewhere else and realize where you came from had a lot of bad qualities.
Pretty well said.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:32 pm

(11.7.2022)
Overhead Press
155 x 10
175 x 6 x 3
185 x 4 x 3
195 x 3 x 2
205 x 1 x 2
210 x 1 x 2

Yazmin Press
185 x 7 x 4
195 x 5 x 4

Rope Pushdowns
70 x 14 x 2
75 x 10 x 2
80 x 8 x 2

Barbell Hang Shrugs
255 x 20 x 2
315 x 12 x 3

Overhead RTEs
80 x 10 x 1, 9 x 5
85 x 6 x 2

Kneeling Cable Crunch
65 x 20 x 3

Seated Dumbbell Reverse Flyes
25 x 12 x 3

Honestly thought the pressing would go a lot worse after nearly three weeks since the last session. Ate well enough today, so maybe that helped.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:03 am

Renascent wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:27 pm

Once a kind of apathy sets in, it can be mistaken for arrogance (which wouldn't do me any favors). Even as an introvert, I'm starting to resent how much I've come to dread basic, daily interactions.
MarkKO wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:54 pmI wish you could come over here. You would love it.
Hardartery wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:40 pmSometimes you need a push to leave a place, and they are providing it.
Heh.

During a heated conversation with my boss awhile back, she asked, "If you hate working with me so much, why don't you leave?"

When I responded that I was most definitely working on that, she got super offended, which honestly kinda caught me off guard. Then she made some weird, miscalculated threat about her own retirement date.

DCR wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:11 pmNot to bring football into your place, as I know it’s not your thing, but Baton Rouge is going to be total mayhem tomorrow.  I dunno why pics off my phone suddenly are too big to attach here, but the highlight of my day was the Zippy’s sign: NICK SABAN LIKES TO VAPE AND LISTENS TO NICKELBACK.
Honestly, I've nothing against football as an athletic pursuit. I was never cut out for it, but I respect the skills it takes to be a competent player at any position.

While I know that fanaticism exists in many different sports (and other "unathletic" forms of entertainment, for that matter), there are aspects to the culture down here that never stuck to me.

I have no idea why so many lawyer billboards have the faces of college football players all over them. Seems like a lazy show of folksiness.

I've known way too many dudes who acted as though their dicks might fall off if LSU didn't absolutely trounce some other unlucky, outmatched team in a blowout -- or a protracted assault.

The two things I've always had to keep under wraps, in order to keep a job, are my atheism and the fact that I don't watch or follow football. I could probably survive a sex scandal or being outed as a spouse abuser, but not those other, aforementioned sins.
SnakePlissken wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:18 am... boomers complaining about young people that waste hours of their weekend getting fat watching football are laughable.

It was always hard for me to listen to armchair quarterbacks (uncles, bosses, talking heads at the barbershop), especially the ones whose identities tended to hinge very strongly on the performance of a sports team. I always read such traits as a dearth of personality, however unfair that might be (I'm mostly speaking of people who never had any interest in physical pursuits of any kind, but have plenty of criticisms about what a WR or QB "should've" done).
SnakePlissken wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:18 amTbh you should leave Louisiana if your roots aren't too deep there. Louisiana is a dump and there are way better places to live and way better jobs outside of it.
Roots here are deep enough, I guess, that it's advantageous enough for me to remain here for now. I also don't mind the slow pace of living and the low-ish cost of living, but otherwise, yeah, I agree with you.
I mean this in all seriousness: consider looking at Australia's skilled worker visa program for you and your other half. Goodness knows we're running short of qualified people in all kinds of industries.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:20 am

Renascent wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:27 pm Roots here are deep enough, I guess, that it's advantageous enough for me to remain here for now. I also don't mind the slow pace of living and the low-ish cost of living, but otherwise, yeah, I agree with you.
I will admit it is nice how the pace of living is there, but there are a lot of other places like that too. Cost of living I think will depend heavily on where you live in the state. One of my Dad's cousins lives in Des Allemands and his flood insurance, home insurance, and car insurance are all insanely high (skyrocketed after the Atchafalaya flooding) to the point where even he is considering moving and the man's literally a tug boat captain that makes really good money, but his only reason for sticking around is they like the people there and his youngest kids are still in high school.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:25 am

MarkKO wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:03 am

Heh.

I mean this in all seriousness: consider looking at Australia's skilled worker visa program for you and your other half. Goodness knows we're running short of qualified people in all kinds of industries.
New Zealand would probably be happy to have him as well, they have a pretty nice program to bring in people as well. Either way, sounds like a win.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:22 am

Hardartery wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:25 am
MarkKO wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:03 am

Heh.

New Zealand would probably be happy to have him as well, they have a pretty nice program to bring in people as well. Either way, sounds like a win.
There's that too.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:19 pm

MarkKO wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:22 am
MarkKO wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:03 amI mean this in all seriousness: consider looking at Australia's skilled worker visa program for you and your other half. Goodness knows we're running short of qualified people in all kinds of industries.
There's that too.
I'm not totally against uprooting and starting fresh, but I'd have to convince the rest of the family (not that they're particularly fond of the southern US, either).

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:20 pm

(11.8.2022)
High-Bar Squats
225 x 10 x 2
285 x 5 x 2
315 x 2 x 9
275 x 4 x 3
225 x 4 x 2

Deadlift
225 x 8
315 x 8
405 x 7
455 x 4 x 2
475 x 2 x 2

Straight-Legged Deadlifts
315 x 10 x 4

Seated Cable Leg Curls
45 x 16
50 x 12 x 5
55 x 9 x 2

Seated Reverse Calf Raises
60 x 35 x 6

Standing Barbell Calf Raise
225 x 25 x 4
135 x 25 x 2

Cortisol-fueled dreams, here we come.

I tried the same set scheme for calf raises last week, and couldn't fully plantarflex for a few days. Not sure if it was the quasi-drop set at 135 or the layoff prior to that session. Felt good, though.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:23 am

Renascent wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:19 pm
MarkKO wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:22 am
MarkKO wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:03 amI mean this in all seriousness: consider looking at Australia's skilled worker visa program for you and your other half. Goodness knows we're running short of qualified people in all kinds of industries.
There's that too.
I'm not totally against uprooting and starting fresh, but I'd have to convince the rest of the family (not that they're particularly fond of the southern US, either).
It's worth a shot 🤷‍♂️

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:05 pm

(11.9.2022 -- Morning)
Bench Press
135 x 10
225 x 11
255 x 7
285 x 3 x 5
225 x 7 x 4

(Evening)
Barbell Hang Rows
225 x 12 x 2 (Pronated)
225 x 12 x 2 (Supinated)
265 x 5 x 2 (Pronated)
265 x 5 x 2 (Supinated)

Straight-Arm Pulldowns
95 x 10 x 7

Kneeling Single-Arm Iliac Pulldowns
50 x 12 x 4

Cable Pull-Aparts
30 x 10 x 4

hector

Post by hector » Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:15 pm

So many sets of benching 225 for > 10. You'll be ready for the NFL combine!

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:33 pm

hector wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:15 pm So many sets of benching 225 for > 10. You'll be ready for the NFL combine!
The most I've ever done in a set was 12 or so.

Those kids would put me to shame.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:13 pm

(11.11.2022)
Overhead Press
155 x 10
175 x 6 x 3
185 x 4 x 3
205 x 2 x 4
210 x 1 x 2

Yazmin Press
185 x 8 x 4
195 x 6 x 2
205 x 4

Rope Pushdowns
70 x 13 x 2
75 x 11 x 2
80 x 8 x 2

Barbell Hang Shrugs
255 x 20 x 2
315 x 15 x 3

Overhead RTEs
80 x 12 x 4
85 x 8 x 2

Dumbbell Silverback Shrugs
75 x 20 x 3

Cable Overhead Front Raise
35 x 10 x 4

Ab Wheel Rollouts
12 x 3

Spent most of my time at work yesterday blasting Nuclear Assault through my earbuds, and the vibe kinda carried over through today. Never was much of an East Coast thrash guy, but they've definitely got at least a few bangers.

Today's session was disjointed (and unexpected), but fun.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:26 pm

(11.17.2022)
Weighted Pull-Ups
50 x 5 x 9

Cable Hip Adduction
35 x 12 x 5

Cable Hip Abduction
35 x 12 x 5

Lateral Plate Raises
25 x 12 x 4

Face Pulls
55 x 12 x 4

Kneeling Cable Crunch
65 x 20 x 3

Lying Cable Knee Raise
85 x 9 x 3
60 x 15 x 2

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:53 am

Your arms look jacked AF

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:21 am

MarkKO wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:53 am Your arms look jacked AF
Right? :shock:

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:00 am

lheugh wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:21 am
MarkKO wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:53 am Your arms look jacked AF
Right? :shock:
Heh. I figured it might've been the angle. Or the wonky bicep.

I spent the last few days undereating and not lifting much else besides a bottle of tacky glue and a pair of scissors, so it must be a trick of the light.