Tip Toeing in my Vibrams

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

heidikay

Re: Tip Toeing in my Vibrams

Post by heidikay » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:47 pm

Renascent wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:00 am a trick of the light.
Dig the Chameleons reference.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:59 pm

heidikay wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:47 pm
Renascent wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:00 am a trick of the light.
Dig the Chameleons reference.
:D

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:05 pm

(11.18.2022)
Low-Bar Squat
225 x 10 x 2
275 x 6 x 3
325 x 3 x 6
345 x 1 x 3
275 x 6
225 x 6

Standing Cable Leg Extension
50 x 10 x 6

Weighted Sissy Squats
25 x 14 x 2
35 x 10 x 2

Seated Dumbbell Reverse Flyes
25 x 12 x 4

Ab Wheel Rollouts
12 x 3

• Didn't squat anything that I haven't done before, but this was surprisingly enjoyable, and inexplicably cathartic. Maybe it's the doggedness and optimism that comes with returning from a layoff, but I left work like a bat out of hell with squats on the brain.

• Didn't have a "bad" day, per se, but I think other people -- even strangers -- seem privy to the fact that I am ... psychologically (?) in flux right now. Even had some random stranger say, "Smile, man! It's not that bad!" as I hastily ducked out of the building at lunch, looking through and past sets of needy eyes that wanted some kind of reciprocated acknowledgement. I don't think I was scowling or anything; all I wanted was some fresh air (and a Nuclear Assault break in my car).

I hate seasonal anxiety. I've no (reasonable) issue with other people demanding the warmth of the herd, or familiar comforts, but a sense of dread kicks in when I realize I can't always be allowed to exist in the backdrop.

• Made a quick grocery run after squats to get a few things, and fucked up by driving through some kind of winter festival. That, and eyeballing grocery prices that have crept up within the past week, momentarily put me on edge. Kinda forgot that a damn holiday is next week. I'm already anticipating more demands at work to spend money on props for an overwrought camraderie production (or, as the boss likes to call it, "fellowship."). Not looking forward to spending time with extended family next week, but am trying to keep my mouth shut on that one.

• I'm hoping to get up early enough to deadlift outside before the all-day rains come tomorrow. We'll see.

• Sissy squats: I see them as a great argument for the existence of 35 LB plates, because it's a pain in the ass to hold more than one plate to the chest. Conversely, I could just get a weighted vest, but that'll have to wait. Too many irons in the fire right now. But a lot of fun could be had with a vest.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:13 pm

Renascent wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:05 pm (11.18.2022)
Low-Bar Squat
225 x 10 x 2
275 x 6 x 3
325 x 3 x 6
345 x 1 x 3
275 x 6
225 x 6

Standing Cable Leg Extension
50 x 10 x 6

Weighted Sissy Squats
25 x 14 x 2
35 x 10 x 2

25 x 12 x 4

Ab Wheel Rollouts
12 x 3

• Didn't squat anything that I haven't done before, but this was surprisingly enjoyable, and inexplicably cathartic. Maybe it's the doggedness and optimism that comes with returning from a layoff, but I left work like a bat out of hell with squats on the brain.

• Didn't have a "bad" day, per se, but I think other people -- even strangers -- seem privy to the fact that I am ... psychologically (?) in flux right now. Even had some random stranger say, "Smile, man! It's not that bad!" as I hastily ducked out of the building at lunch, looking through and past sets of needy eyes that wanted some kind of reciprocated acknowledgement. I don't think I was scowling or anything; all I wanted was some fresh air (and a Nuclear Assault break in my car).

I hate seasonal anxiety. I've no (reasonable) issue with other people demanding the warmth of the herd, or familiar comforts, but a sense of dread kicks in when I realize I can't always be allowed to exist in the backdrop.

• Made a quick grocery run after squats to get a few things, and fucked up by driving through some kind of winter festival. That, and eyeballing grocery prices that have crept up within the past week, momentarily put me on edge. Kinda forgot that a damn holiday is next week. I'm already anticipating more demands at work to spend money on props for an overwrought camraderie production (or, as the boss likes to call it, "fellowship."). Not looking forward to spending time with extended family next week, but am trying to keep my mouth shut on that one.

• I'm hoping to get up early enough to deadlift outside before the all-day rains come tomorrow. We'll see.

• Sissy squats: I see them as a great argument for the existence of 35 LB plates, because it's a pain in the ass to hold more than one plate to the chest. Conversely, I could just get a weighted vest, but that'll have to wait. Too many irons in the fire right now. But a lot of fun could be had with a vest.
I have never heard the term seasonal anxiety before, but it is very appropriate.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:30 am

Renascent wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:05 pm looking through and past sets of needy eyes that wanted some kind of reciprocated acknowledgement.
Well said. It feels like a really silly thing to whine about, but I don’t think non-introverts can grasp how heavy this can feel.

I get up early, do cardio, and get to work early so I can eat and meditate in my car before going in. But coworkers still say “you must not be a morning person!” after they say good morning and ask how the roads were (“how were the roads?” is a customary Midwest winter greeting, even when all parties drove the same roads at the same time).

No matter how much mental prep I perform, these interactions visibly drain me before I even have a chance to muster a response.
(or, as the boss likes to call it, "fellowship.").
Tell me you’re an evangelical without telling me you’re an evangelical.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:53 pm

How does anyone else know how it is for you? Maybe it is that bad, and telling otherwise doesn't actually improve anything. Tell my wife to smile and she's laible to shank you. Cheerful people are energy vampires, they suck the life right out of you just by forcing you to deal with their BS. That was the big positive of night shift when I worked it, night shift people don't care. They just want to work in peace and then leave and the less forced interaction the better.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:54 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:53 pm

How does anyone else know how it is for you? Maybe it is that bad, and telling otherwise doesn't actually improve anything. Tell my wife to smile and she's laible to shank you. Cheerful people are energy vampires, they suck the life right out of you just by forcing you to deal with their BS. That was the big positive of night shift when I worked it, night shift people don't care. They just want to work in peace and then leave and the less forced interaction the better.
I think this might be a uniquely American thing. I have never had said to me, or heard said to anyone, to smile more by a stranger. The response over here would very likely be a blank look at best, but most likely something along the lines of 'get fucked', because we a pretty direct kind of people.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:57 pm

MarkKO wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:54 pm

I think this might be a uniquely American thing. I have never had said to me, or heard said to anyone, to smile more by a stranger. The response over here would very likely be a blank look at best, but most likely something along the lines of 'get fucked', because we a pretty direct kind of people.
I appreciate that directness, I like it. Women primarily get the "Smile" nonsense, at least in the US (I honestly don't know if it happens in my home country of Canada because I am male and left when I was 20). My wife hates it with a passion.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:28 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:57 pm
MarkKO wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:54 pm

I appreciate that directness, I like it. Women primarily get the "Smile" nonsense, at least in the US (I honestly don't know if it happens in my home country of Canada because I am male and left when I was 20). My wife hates it with a passion.
I'm not in a position to definitively say whether it happens here to women either either. I just haven't heard it nor heard women say anything about it happening. My wife certainly hasn't ever mentioned it. What she does get, and gets understandably angry about, is an assumption that she can speak any of the Sudanese languages simply because she is black. She doesn't look even remotely Sudanese.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:44 pm

MarkKO wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:13 pmI have never heard the term seasonal anxiety before, but it is very appropriate.
For a long time, I'd use the term as a shorthand phrase to acknowledge my own cyclical periods of malaise.

Come to find out that it's a thing™. I tend to experience a summer version as well, depending on how hectic my extended environment becomes.
broseph wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:30 am
Renascent wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:05 pm looking through and past sets of needy eyes that wanted some kind of reciprocated acknowledgement.

Well said. It feels like a really silly thing to whine about, but I don’t think non-introverts can grasp how heavy this can feel.
Yep. It does feel like a silly thing to whine about at times, though I usually only confide in my wife and try to keep a stiff upper lip everywhere else. Whether or not my public poker face is actually effective might be up for debate now.
broseph wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:30 am I get up early, do cardio, and get to work early so I can eat and meditate in my car before going in.
I'm finding myself doing this a lot more often lately.
Hardartery wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:53 pmHow does anyone else know how it is for you? Maybe it is that bad, and telling otherwise doesn't actually improve anything. Tell my wife to smile and she's laible to shank you.
Heh.

My wife's told me stories about when she'd head to the French Quarter with college friends for a night out. On a couple of occasions, she witnessed stranger girls getting punched in the face or snatched by the hair because they didn't smile (or acquiesce in a similar fashion) when ordered to do so by some "badass" with whiskey dick and the emotional maturity of a toddler.

I remember seeing a lot of articles crop up -- mid-2020 -- about introverted people (especially women) expressing a kind of relief from masking up to circumvent other people's (bosses, strangers with an odd sense of entitlement, etc.) demands to "smile more."

I still wear the damn thing on my face in the presence of certain people at work for this very reason. Seems to irk a few, and deflate others.
Hardartery wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:57 pmI appreciate that directness, I like it. Women primarily get the "Smile" nonsense, at least in the US (I honestly don't know if it happens in my home country of Canada because I am male and left when I was 20). My wife hates it with a passion.
Yep.

At the risk of speaking outside of my wheelhouse and co-opting somebody else's fight, so to speak, a couple of my fem acquaintances expressed enjoyment at the mask mandate stuff because it (momentarily) skewed social dynamics away from a previously-estsblished norm that they apparently didn't miss.

I won't go down the rabbit hole of gender norms and expectations, but I am vaguely reminded of a former co-worker. Any time he'd hold a door for a woman and didn't receive enthusiastic gratitude as his "payment", said woman automatically became an ungrateful (or entitled) bitch, whore, or cunt, as far as he was concerned.

Of course, I don't mean to equate my own experience(s) with what a lot of women likely encounter on a regular basis throughout their lives ("be pretty, make me feel comfortable enough to invade your personal space without an invite, and don't gimme no sass!").

But, as someone who was reared by a single mother, alongside two sisters, any time a stranger with a dick opened an unwanted interaction with "Smile, pretty lady!", it was reasonably assumed that some real sleazebag, "nice guy" verbiage was soon to follow, if dude did not get the response he wanted.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:50 pm

(11.19.2022 -- Morning)
Deadlift
225 x 10
315 x 8
405 x 6
455 x 3 x 3
475 x 1 x 2

(Afternoon)
Barbell Good Mornings
185 x 8 x 7
195 x 6 x 2

Seated Cable Leg Curls
45 x 16
50 x 12 x 4
55 x 9 x 4

Seated Reverse Calf Raises
60 x 35 x 4
50 x 45 x 3

Seated Barbell Calf Raise
225 x 40 x 3

Half-Kneeling High-Pulley Cable Chop
35 x 12 x 4

Incline Side Lying Hip Raise
12 x 3 (Feet Up)

Face Pulls
50 x 15 x 3

Thought I was gonna try out reverse lunges today, but I barely survived the good mornings, and I woke up with a sore ass, so no.

And fuck hamstring cramps.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:29 pm

Renascent wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:50 pm (11.19.2022 -- Morning)
Deadlift
225 x 10
315 x 8
405 x 6
455 x 3 x 3
475 x 1 x 2

(Afternoon)
Barbell Good Mornings
185 x 8 x 7
195 x 6 x 2

Seated Cable Leg Curls
45 x 16
50 x 12 x 4
55 x 9 x 4

60 x 35 x 4
50 x 45 x 3

225 x 40 x 3

35 x 12 x 4

12 x 3 (Feet Up)

Face Pulls
50 x 15 x 3

Thought I was gonna try out reverse lunges today, but I barely survived the good mornings, and I woke up with a sore ass, so no.

You are getting it done with the pulls, nice progression. You might want to watch that lockout though, you are doing a kind of shrug forward and out at the top instead just pulling back, which is probably fine enough, but you are also getting an arm bend like you are trying to curl it and then the arm straightens back out. Biceps involvement like that can get you hurt on a pull, so you might want to analyze that a little.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:53 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:29 pm
Renascent wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:50 pm (11.19.2022 -- Morning)
Deadlift
225 x 10
315 x 8
405 x 6
455 x 3 x 3
475 x 1 x 2

(Afternoon)
Barbell Good Mornings
185 x 8 x 7
195 x 6 x 2

Seated Cable Leg Curls
45 x 16
50 x 12 x 4
55 x 9 x 4

60 x 35 x 4
50 x 45 x 3

225 x 40 x 3

35 x 12 x 4

12 x 3 (Feet Up)

Face Pulls
50 x 15 x 3

You are getting it done with the pulls, nice progression. You might want to watch that lockout though, you are doing a kind of shrug forward and out at the top instead just pulling back, which is probably fine enough, but you are also getting an arm bend like you are trying to curl it and then the arm straightens back out. Biceps involvement like that can get you hurt on a pull, so you might want to analyze that a little.
I see what you're talking about. It never feels like the tension in my arms changes, but I'll keep an eye on that.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:46 pm

Renascent wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:44 pm
MarkKO wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:13 pmI have never heard the term seasonal anxiety before, but it is very appropriate.
For a long time, I'd use the term as a shorthand phrase to acknowledge my own cyclical periods of malaise.

Come to find out that it's a thing™. I tend to experience a summer version as well, depending on how hectic my extended environment becomes.

Yep. It does feel like a silly thing to whine about at times, though I usually only confide in my wife and try to keep a stiff upper lip everywhere else. Whether or not my public poker face is actually effective might be up for debate now.
broseph wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:30 am I get up early, do cardio, and get to work early so I can eat and meditate in my car before going in.
Hardartery wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:53 pmHow does anyone else know how it is for you? Maybe it is that bad, and telling otherwise doesn't actually improve anything. Tell my wife to smile and she's laible to shank you.
Heh.

My wife's told me stories about when she'd head to the French Quarter with college friends for a night out. On a couple of occasions, she witnessed stranger girls getting punched in the face or snatched by the hair because they didn't smile (or acquiesce in a similar fashion) when ordered to do so by some "badass" with whiskey dick and the emotional maturity of a toddler.

I remember seeing a lot of articles crop up -- mid-2020 -- about introverted people (especially women) expressing a kind of relief from masking up to circumvent other people's (bosses, strangers with an odd sense of entitlement, etc.) demands to "smile more."

I still wear the damn thing on my face in the presence of certain people at work for this very reason. Seems to irk a few, and deflate others.
Hardartery wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:57 pmI appreciate that directness, I like it. Women primarily get the "Smile" nonsense, at least in the US (I honestly don't know if it happens in my home country of Canada because I am male and left when I was 20). My wife hates it with a passion.
Yep.

At the risk of speaking outside of my wheelhouse and co-opting somebody else's fight, so to speak, a couple of my fem acquaintances expressed enjoyment at the mask mandate stuff because it (momentarily) skewed social dynamics away from a previously-estsblished norm that they apparently didn't miss.

I won't go down the rabbit hole of gender norms and expectations, but I am vaguely reminded of a former co-worker. Any time he'd hold a door for a woman and didn't receive enthusiastic gratitude as his "payment", said woman automatically became an ungrateful (or entitled) bitch, whore, or cunt, as far as he was concerned.

Of course, I don't mean to equate my own experience(s) with what a lot of women likely encounter on a regular basis throughout their lives ("be pretty, make me feel comfortable enough to invade your personal space without an invite, and don't gimme no sass!").

But, as someone who was reared by a single mother, alongside two sisters, any time a stranger with a dick opened an unwanted interaction with "Smile, pretty lady!", it was reasonably assumed that some real sleazebag, "nice guy" verbiage was soon to follow, if dude did not get the response he wanted.
I'm getting curious enough that I may try to figure out how to make enquiries about how that goes over here. It just doesn't seem like anything I've seen or heard anyone male I know feel comfortable saying here.

houzi

Post by houzi » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:40 am

MarkKO wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:46 pm

Heh.

Yep.

I'm getting curious enough that I may try to figure out how to make enquiries about how that goes over here. It just doesn't seem like anything I've seen or heard anyone male I know feel comfortable saying here.
Im wondering about the UK too, i honestly dont think ive ever seen that be a common occurance with regards to asking women to smile all the time. I feel like if a bloke tied that theyd get told to F off pretty sharpish. Where i live in asia now, i can say without doubt that is not a thing.

However, i do remember being a teenager working a part time supermarket till job. Some old woman told me i should look more happy. Im 17, working a morning shift at a place i hate, just pay for your food and leave me alone!

Anyway, Nice pulls @Renascent !

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:16 am

houzi wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:40 am
MarkKO wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:46 pm

Heh.

Yep.

Im wondering about the UK too, i honestly dont think ive ever seen that be a common occurance with regards to asking women to smile all the time. I feel like if a bloke tied that theyd get told to F off pretty sharpish. Where i live in asia now, i can say without doubt that is not a thing.

However, i do remember being a teenager working a part time supermarket till job. Some old woman told me i should look more happy. Im 17, working a morning shift at a place i hate, just pay for your food and leave me alone!

Anyway, Nice pulls @Renascent !
Well, we share more mannerisms with the UK than the US so that doesn't surprise me. I do recall on occasion hearing something along the lines of 'cheer up, it may never happen' but that's somewhat different I think.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:12 pm

houzi wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:40 amHowever, i do remember being a teenager working a part time supermarket till job. Some old woman told me i should look more happy. Im 17, working a morning shift at a place i hate, just pay for your food and leave me alone!
Exactly.

It kinda bugs me when people around my age complain about a lack of smiling when there's a tired, disengaged youngster at the till who's not feeling very talkative. They've little investment in the pleasantries that are expected to come with a menial job, and little incentive to entertain strangers (on top of all the other shit they have to do at such a job).
houzi wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:40 am Anyway, Nice pulls @Renascent !
Thanks!

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:14 pm

(11.22.2022)
Bench Press
135 x 10
225 x 11
255 x 7
285 x 4
295 x 3
305 x 2
315 x 1 x 2
320 x 1 x 2*
295 x 2 x 2
275 x 3 x 2
255 x 4 x 2
235 x 5 x 5

*Botched the unrack on the second single. Ass came up.

Barbell Hang Rows
225 x 12 x 2 (Pronated)
225 x 12 x 2 (Supinated)
265 x 6 x 2 (Pronated)
265 x 6 x 2 (Supinated)

Weighted Neck Curls
35 x 30 x 2
40 x 20 x 2

Landmine T-Bar Rows
200 x 10 x 8

Pec started cramping during the penultimate set.

Straight-Arm Pulldowns
90 x 12 x 5

Kneeling Single-Arm Iliac Pulldowns
50 x 12 x 2
60 x 10 x 2

Half-Kneeling Cable Chops
25 x 12 x 4

Elevated-Feet Side Lying Hip Raise
12 x 3

25 x 10 x 4

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:38 pm

(11.23.2022)
Overhead Press
155 x 10
175 x 6 x 3
185 x 4 x 3
195 x 3 x 1, 2 x 1*
205 x 1 x 2
155 x 5

*Failed third rep.

Yazmin Press
185 x 7 x 4
195 x 5 x 4

Rope Pushdowns
75 x 12 x 2, 10 x 2
80 x 8 x 2

Barbell Hang Shrugs
265 x 20 x 2
315 x 15 x 2

Overhead RTEs
80 x 12 x 2, 10 x 2
85 x 8 x 2

Single-Arm Cable Shrugs
60 x 12 x 4

Cable Pull-Aparts
30 x 10 x 4

Probably time to oil the pulleys. I was getting hungry during the accessory shit, and thought that might've been the reason the tricep extensions felt more demanding so suddenly, but not so. Them shits is squeaking, and the cable's barely moving over the groove, so I may do some equipment checks tomorrow, schedule permitting.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:13 pm

(11.28.2022)
Weighted Pull Ups
55 x 6 x 8

Cable Hip Adduction
35 x 12 x 6

Lateral Plate Raise
25 x 12 x 3

Cable Hip Abduction