Tip Toeing in my Vibrams

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

MarkKO

Re: Tip Toeing in my Vibrams

Post by MarkKO » Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:43 pm

Renascent wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:45 pm
MarkKO wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:45 pmI just think arranging events outside work seems pointless and, to me, is just an added stress of something I need to go to that I don't really want to but will be considered rude for being absent.
This is the part that, in my experience, invites unnecessary retaliation.
Which is why I'll grit my teeth, show up and leave at the earliest polite interval.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:03 am

Hardartery wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:51 pm Part of it is the BS business school notion of Team Building. They think you are more productive if everyone is friends and that it builds loyalty to the company (As in you won't jump ship as readily). It's not true at all, the only people motivated to stay by these things are the least useful members of the staff.
This is a relic from the past I think. My grandfather was a stock broker and worked for a bank that's defunct now, but back in the day they paid for Country Club memberships, New Orleans Athletic Club memberships, paid staff breakfast and lunches every day, the works. When you worked there for like 30 years you got a Rolex. Today's perks are the clumsy Christmas meal once a year and the "big picknick" with Nathan's hotdogs in the breakroom.

I think now that companies think mostly in terms of ROI for investors and that nobody stays at a job more than 5 years now that's all gone and never coming back.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:51 pm

(11.1.2022)
Low-Bar Squats
135 x 10
225 x 10 x 2
275 x 7 x 2
295 x 5 x 2
315 x 3 x 2
335 x 2 x 2
345 x 1 x 2
225 x 8

Seated Reverse Calf Raises
60 x 35 x 7

Standing Barbell Calf Raises
225 x 25 x 4
135 x 25 x 2

Standing Cable Leg Extensions
45 x 15 x 3
50 x 10 x 3

Kneeling Cable Crunch
65 x 21 x 3

Weighted Sissy Squats
25 x 15 x 2
35 x 10 x 2

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:59 pm

SnakePlissken wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:03 am
Hardartery wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:51 pm Part of it is the BS business school notion of Team Building. They think you are more productive if everyone is friends and that it builds loyalty to the company (As in you won't jump ship as readily). It's not true at all, the only people motivated to stay by these things are the least useful members of the staff.
This is a relic from the past I think. My grandfather was a stock broker and worked for a bank that's defunct now, but back in the day they paid for Country Club memberships, New Orleans Athletic Club memberships, paid staff breakfast and lunches every day, the works. When you worked there for like 30 years you got a Rolex. Today's perks are the clumsy Christmas meal once a year and the "big picknick" with Nathan's hotdogs in the breakroom.

I think now that companies think mostly in terms of ROI for investors and that nobody stays at a job more than 5 years now that's all gone and never coming back.
Where I work now is the first place I've worked that actually seems to have an idea about doing little things to make people want to stay. Beyond decent pay and conditions, that is. The pay is good and by the book, they don't try to diddle you out of overtime rates and stuff.

Periodically they do a lunch for us, usually on a Friday; or bring around cakes or pastries at break time. On Saturday they buy everyone a feed for break time.

From my perspective, that's plenty. What I don't want is events OUT of work hours. That just seems excessive.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:54 pm

MarkKO wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:59 pm

Where I work now is the first place I've worked that actually seems to have an idea about doing little things to make people want to stay. Beyond decent pay and conditions, that is. The pay is good and by the book, they don't try to diddle you out of overtime rates and stuff.

Periodically they do a lunch for us, usually on a Friday; or bring around cakes or pastries at break time. On Saturday they buy everyone a feed for break time.

From my perspective, that's plenty. What I don't want is events OUT of work hours. That just seems excessive.
Welp, tomorrow's the big potluck day. I came into the office to find a giant tailgate tent set up amongst a sea of desks. I reviewed a bunch of accounts that some of my employees worked, while my colleagues argued over balloon colors and cut out football jersey graphics from Google image searches. I'd say it was surreal, but I shouldn't have been surprised in the least, and was just glad to be left to my own devices.

Tomorrow, only one of my employees will be working in the office, and only for a half day, so I told her not to worry about bringing anything. At this point, I won't be assed to bring anything either.

Next month is the supposed dinner party outside of work hours. I'm sure they're looking forward to showing their asses for that one, but I won't be there (unless my boss threatens to note my lack of participation in my performance review, as has happened once before).

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:57 pm

(11.2.2022)
Deadlift
225 x 8
315 x 8
405 x 6 x 2
455 x 3 x 2
475 x 1 x 2

Straight-Legged Deadlifts
315 x 8 x 5

Seated Cable Leg Curls
45 x 16
50 x 12 x 5
55 x 8 x 2

Lying Cable Knee Raises
70 x 12 x 3

alek

Post by alek » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:27 pm

Renascent wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:54 pm Next month is the supposed dinner party outside of work hours. I'm sure they're looking forward to showing their asses for that one, but I won't be there (unless my boss threatens to note my lack of participation in my performance review, as has happened once before).
Boss #1: "So, how did ol' Renascent do for us this year?"

Boss #2: "Good. Good... But. He didn't come to the after hours dinner party."

#1: "What!?"

#2: "I know. I've talked to him about participating in work functions outside of work hours, but he just wants to keep his private time that we don't pay him for to himself."

#1: "Well now, that's just outrageous. Tell him that if he doesn't attend our event that has nothing to do with our work, then he'll get a bad mark on his everything to do with our work review."

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:19 am

Renascent wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:54 pm
MarkKO wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:59 pm

Welp, tomorrow's the big potluck day. I came into the office to find a giant tailgate tent set up amongst a sea of desks. I reviewed a bunch of accounts that some of my employees worked, while my colleagues argued over balloon colors and cut out football jersey graphics from Google image searches. I'd say it was surreal, but I shouldn't have been surprised in the least, and was just glad to be left to my own devices.

Tomorrow, only one of my employees will be working in the office, and only for a half day, so I told her not to worry about bringing anything. At this point, I won't be assed to bring anything either.

Next month is the supposed dinner party outside of work hours. I'm sure they're looking forward to showing their asses for that one, but I won't be there (unless my boss threatens to note my lack of participation in my performance review, as has happened once before).
I work with a dude from Kansas. According to him, work functions aren't an American thing at all. He must have never gotten invited to them. I should ask him what his secret is and tell you.

Serious though, how does anything like that have a place on a performance review?

hector

Post by hector » Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:15 pm

Saw your 300lb benches on IG. Looking good!!!

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:20 pm

(11.3.2022)
Bench Press
135 x 10
225 x 11
255 x 8
285 x 4 x 4
305 x 2 x 4
275 x 3 x 2
225 x 8

Barbell Hang Rows
225 x 12 x 2 (Pronated)
225 x 12 x 2 (Supinated)
265 x 5 x 2 (Pronated)
265 x 6 x 2 (Supinated)

Landmine T-Bar Rows
200 x 10 x 8

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:21 pm

alek wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:27 pm
Renascent wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:54 pm Next month is the supposed dinner party outside of work hours. I'm sure they're looking forward to showing their asses for that one, but I won't be there (unless my boss threatens to note my lack of participation in my performance review, as has happened once before).

#2: "I know. I've talked to him about participating in work functions outside of work hours, but he just wants to keep his private time that we don't pay him for to himself."

#1: "Well now, that's just outrageous. Tell him that if he doesn't attend our event that has nothing to do with our work, then he'll get a bad mark on his everything to do with our work review."
Pretty much how things went two years ago. Now they're planning a Thanksgiving lunch for management, another one for Christmas, and the ... thing outside of work.

Plenty of future opportunities for me to really show my ass by not being present.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:32 pm

Renascent wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:21 pm
alek wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:27 pm

Pretty much how things went two years ago. Now they're planning a Thanksgiving lunch for management, another one for Christmas, and the ... thing outside of work.

Plenty of future opportunities for me to really show my ass by not being present.
My last corporate gig I was on steady nightshift in charge of the operations centre. 10 hour nights. There was no shift differential for anyone, and the "Perks" were only ever done during the day, like feeding everyone lunch for the Friday company meeting once a month. They didn't give nightshift a damn thing. The bonus was never having to really deal with anyone that worked normal hours. They got pissy about me n calling in to the weekly meeting for my department (At 3:00 PM) They wanted me to wake up essentially in the middle of my night and listen to drivel for an hour or so. What they got was me snoring over the phone that was dialed in to the Polycom because nobody said I had to be awake, just connected via phone.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:42 pm

MarkKO wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:19 amSerious though, how does anything like that have a place on a performance review?
Heh.

They like call these little get-togethers "team-building exercises." So if you decline to participate, well, now you're not a team player. Some of the supervisors who planned the potluck are only supervising one or two employees at the moment, due to the, uh, wage shortage situation. I've got more than that, so I don't normally have time to plan parties.

When I used to attend these things, I'd get shit about not partaking in conversations or declining to play the part of the rooster. Our management team is a mixture of uptight, hyper-Christian teetotalers who generally mind their own business and don't cause me any strife, and the rest of the team are really loud, pedestrian types who earnestly watch primetime network television and talk about the "sad state of today's world" because they get their news from Facebook.

Being a millennial myself, it's hard to sit there and listen to older folks (who refuse to update their outlook on the world) whine about millenials, drone on about how much money they like to spend and where they spend it, and occasionally catch the Holy Ghost over football. Oh, and gay people suck. And "trannies" are confusing the kids of today. Fucking shame.

Some of those folks think they're being lewd and edgy with the off-color remarks about certain groups of people; I think a lot of my co-workers are insecure bigots who hide behind Jesus, and probably have fully-clothed sex in their pajamas, save for poking their uglies through the peehole. So, jokes about "who washes the dishes" in same-sex couplings don't really rate as raunchy, in my book.

There is not a soul I can discuss video games with, nor lifting, and I rarely watch TV, so I've usually not got an in with some of these conversations. I don't understand the offense of my silence in those situations. Nobody listens to Slayer or second-wave goth rock (they're gospel, country, and R&B fans), and video games are for kids -- or so my director says. Screens are killing the dying art of interaction; real men get fucking plastered and scream, from an armchair, at millionaires running across a hundred yards with a football for four hours -- or so my director says.

Anyway...

Our director had some really passive aggressive shit to say in the management meeting about me choosing to remain at my desk and get some work done instead of the customary overeating and whatever they call "mingling." I'd get him some Neosporin for the butthurt, but that wouldn't go over well.

Someone offered me some (fried) fish, possibly operating under the assumption that I was being health-conscious by cutting a wide berth around the festivities and eating the lunch I brought instead.

Someone else "sweetly" asked if I was going to eat [our] food, implying I've some issue with other people's kitchens or didn't want to eat what they brought for, uh, vanity reasons. I didn't take the bait. I just thanked them for the offer, and told them that I "might" partake.

I'm probably gonna hear some shit about it next week when my immediate boss is back in town. I wouldn't be surprised if there's paperwork involved, too. She and I had a lengthy, fruitless disagreement last week, and the residual acrimony is still fresh.

I've put out some feelers in the last few weeks; gotta get the hell outta there. Tired of being told -- indirectly -- that I'm creating a toxic environment by just wanting to do my work at work and be left the hell alone.
Last edited by Renascent on Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:45 pm

hector wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:15 pm Saw your 300lb benches on IG. Looking good!!!
Thanks!

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:38 pm

Dude. The place you work sounds like torture.

Where I work, there’s no one to talk to about lifting, poison dart frogs, or experimental Germanic pagan folk music. But at least they don’t make me participate in any nonsense. (Also, I’m not management)

Hope you can get out of there.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:54 pm

Renascent wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:42 pm
MarkKO wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:19 amSerious though, how does anything like that have a place on a performance review?
Heh.

They like call these little get-togethers "team-building exercises." So if you decline to participate, well, now you're not a team player. Some of the supervisors who planned the potluck are only supervising one or two employees at the moment, due to the, uh, wage shortage situation. I've got more than that, so I don't normally have time to plan parties.

When I used to attend these things, I'd get shit about not partaking in conversations or declining to play the part of the rooster. Our management team is a mixture of uptight, hyper-Christian teetotalers who generally mind their own business and don't cause me any strife, and the rest of the team are really loud, pedestrian types who earnestly watch primetime network television and talk about the "sad state of today's world" because they get their news from Facebook.

Being a millennial myself, it's hard to sit there and listen to older folks (who refuse to update their outlook on the world) whine about millenials, drone on about how much money they like to spend and where they spend it, and occasionally catch the Holy Ghost over football. Oh, and gay people suck. And "trannies" are confusing the kids of today. Fucking shame.

Some of those folks think they're being lewd and edgy with the off-color remarks about certain groups of people; I think a lot of my co-workers are insecure bigots who hide behind Jesus, and probably have fully-clothed sex in their pajamas, save for poking their uglies through the peehole. So, jokes about "who washes the dishes" in same-sex couplings don't really rate as raunchy, in my book.

There is not a soul I can discuss video games with, nor lifting, and I rarely watch TV, so I've usually not got an in with some of these conversations. I don't understand the offense of my silence in those situations. Nobody listens to Slayer or second-wave goth rock (they're gospel, country, and R&B fans), and video games are for kids -- or so my director says. Screens are killing the dying art of interaction; real men get fucking plastered and scream, from an armchair, at millionaires running across a hundred yards with a football for four hours -- or so my director says.

Anyway...

Our director had some really passive aggressive shit to say in the management meeting about me choosing to remain at my desk and get some work done instead of the customary overeating and whatever they call "mingling." I'd get him some Neosporin for the butthurt, but that wouldn't go over well.

Someone offered me some (fried) fish, possibly operating under the assumption that I was being health-conscious by cutting a wide berth around the festivities and eating the lunch I brought instead.

Someone else "sweetly" asked if I was going to eat [our] food, implying I've some issue with other people's kitchens or didn't want to eat what they brought for, uh, vanity reasons. I didn't take the bait. I just thanked them for the offer, and told them that I "might" partake.

I'm probably gonna hear some shit about it next week when my immediate boss is back in town. I wouldn't be surprised if there's paperwork involved, too. She and I had a lengthy, fruitless disagreement last week, and the residual acrimony is still fresh.

I've put out some feelers in the last few weeks; gotta get the hell outta there. Tired of being told -- indirectly -- that I'm creating a toxic environment by just wanting to do my work at work and be left the hell alone.
I wish you could come over here. You would love it.

I feel very bad for you.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:40 pm

Heh.

Anyway...

Sometimes you need a push to leave a place, and they are providing it. My family is at my house, not the damn office. I went there for a paycheck not a life. I'm sure you can find somewhere more prefessional and less "Friendly".

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:36 pm

Hardartery wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:40 pm
Heh.

Anyway...

Sometimes you need a push to leave a place, and they are providing it. My family is at my house, not the damn office. I went there for a paycheck not a life. I'm sure you can find somewhere more prefessional and less "Friendly".
This is something that should get taught in schools.

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:11 pm

Renascent wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:42 pm Nobody listens to Slayer
You could’ve saved yourself a lot of time and just typed this. Fuck these people.

I’m not entirely, or even mostly, joking.

Been back down in your neck of the nation for a few days, staying til just before the holiday. It has been goddamn gorgeous out and I had a great session at the commercial gym I use here - really friendly staff who now know the routine and welcome me back in without redoing the contract or any of that shit. Not to bring football into your place, as I know it’s not your thing, but Baton Rouge is going to be total mayhem tomorrow. I dunno why pics off my phone suddenly are too big to attach here, but the highlight of my day was the Zippy’s sign: NICK SABAN LIKES TO VAPE AND LISTENS TO NICKELBACK.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:18 am

Don't miss any of those oddities living in Louisiana especially the football mind control. I loved being an LSU and Saints fan growing up, but boomers complaining about young people that waste hours of their weekend getting fat watching football are laughable. They're usually "supervisors" and don't do jack shit at work either. Agreed with everyone else though you should leave. Tbh you should leave Louisiana if your roots aren't too deep there. Louisiana is a dump and there are way better places to live and way better jobs outside of it.