What’s on Netflix?!?

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: What’s on Netflix?!?

Post by Allentown » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:56 am

Hulu is reviving King of the Hill. I am thrilled. My wife hates it.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:42 pm

convergentsum wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:23 amNetflix' income the last few years has been legendary, yet it is over this period that it has earned its reputation for killing off promising series after one season. How many subscribers would they need to have in order for them to better support these series?
Each show is its own enterprise and must justify its existence. A few Netflix shows drives viewership (Stranger Things and popular rerun shows). Netflix is looking for the next Stranger Things. Meet that mark or be cancelled. With Netflix moving to limit password sharing they can better focus on what paying/loyal customers watch. Maybe the Season 1 cancellations will not be so prevalent?

Netflix does not subsrcibe to the old HBO model of quality over quantity. HBO would continue a 'prestige' series even if viewership was low. The Leftovers never had a big viewership but was loved by critics. I think Sopranos had low viewership its first couple of seasons. The point was the 'best' shows were on HBO. Overall HBO loyalty and customer superiority (we watch HBO) kept it in business for decades. It is funny to watch Warnermedia fail to understand HBO's success while Apple becomes the new HBO (Apple hired the HBO executive when Warner media bought HBO).

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:28 pm

Last of Us giving us the bizzarro world Ron Swanson arc we never knew we needed...
Allentown wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:56 am Hulu is reviving King of the Hill. I am thrilled. My wife hates it.
*approaches with cautious optimism*

KotH is one of those eternally watchable shows for me... and Mike Judge has proven he can bring back Beavis and Butthead without making it feel cheap so... expectations will be high...

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:50 pm

Fuck Netflix for cancelling 1899

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:39 am

mouse wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:28 pm Last of Us giving us the bizzarro world Ron Swanson arc we never knew we needed...
Bingo. Holy smokes what an amazing third episode, definitely got a bit dusty in my living room towards the end last night. Wholesome.

convergentsum

Post by convergentsum » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:21 am

dw wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:23 am
convergentsum wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:23 am
aurelius wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:50 pm
mouse wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:14 amRemember theft is always on the table
Annoying PSA guy: People complain about streaming services canceling shows and this ^ is why. I understand ALL of the streaming services gets expensive, but we have to support the art we want with $$$ or it won't get made.
Netflix' income the last few years has been legendary, yet it is over this period that it has earned its reputation for killing off promising series after one season. How many subscribers would they need to have in order for them to better support these series?

Do you really doubt there's a correlation between tracked viewership and renewal rates?
It seems sensible, and it's what I would do if I were a netflix exec; but I'm not commenting on that, I'm looking at how well that theory corresponds with Netflix' observable behaviour -- sadly much of the data that drives their decisions is private/secret; AFAIK they do not typically even share viewing figures even with the producers of their own content (source: an interview with Charlie Brooker [black mirror]).

convergentsum

Post by convergentsum » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:24 am

aurelius wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:42 pm
convergentsum wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:23 amNetflix' income the last few years has been legendary, yet it is over this period that it has earned its reputation for killing off promising series after one season. How many subscribers would they need to have in order for them to better support these series?
Each show is its own enterprise and must justify its existence. A few Netflix shows drives viewership (Stranger Things and popular rerun shows). Netflix is looking for the next Stranger Things. Meet that mark or be cancelled. With Netflix moving to limit password sharing they can better focus on what paying/loyal customers watch. Maybe the Season 1 cancellations will not be so prevalent?

Netflix does not subsrcibe to the old HBO model of quality over quantity. HBO would continue a 'prestige' series even if viewership was low. The Leftovers never had a big viewership but was loved by critics. I think Sopranos had low viewership its first couple of seasons. The point was the 'best' shows were on HBO. Overall HBO loyalty and customer superiority (we watch HBO) kept it in business for decades. It is funny to watch Warnermedia fail to understand HBO's success while Apple becomes the new HBO (Apple hired the HBO executive when Warner media bought HBO).
We're very close to cancelling netflix. They were the first streaming service I subscribed to a few years back (I was desperate for black mirror) and I loved it, but I barely watch it now.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:52 am

Cunk on Earth is pretty funny if you’re into watching a long cohesive Daily Show interview.

The only reason I started watching it was because the host is an actress from After Life which was a British dark comedy with Ricky Gervais I enjoyed.

(Both shows are Netflix)

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:34 am

broseph wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:52 am Cunk on Earth is pretty funny if you’re into watching a long cohesive Daily Show interview.

The only reason I started watching it was because the host is an actress from After Life which was a British dark comedy with Ricky Gervais I enjoyed.

(Both shows are Netflix)
I desperately want to watch this with my wife. She has remained resistant so far. I'm going to show her this and see if it changes her mind:

If not, I think she might be a danger to have around my kids. Or an alien or something.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:16 am

Diane Morgan appears in Frayed too.
She is just splendid.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9214692/

The lead in this is Sarah Kendall, who you may have seen if you watch Taskmaster (UK)

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:19 pm

Bumping this for Night Agent. Fun show.

hector

Post by hector » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:35 pm

Started watching Poldark on Amazon.
British soldier (and minor squire) comes back to England after revolutionary war. His house is fucked up, fortune lost, his cousin married his gf.
Period piece. Technically a romance? Limited violence, but there is an antagonist that takes secret boxing lessons to fight the protagonist and later almost eye gouges him.
Still, extremely limited violence, no nudity, but I like it anyway, even if I can’t clearly articulate why.
Main character is a man of the people, still a douche, but tries to do right.
I love it, but am not sure who I’d recommend it to.

Minor aspect, but one part I enjoy is seeing how British people thought about the French Revolution while it was occurring. Interesting dynamic in how even though British and French hate each other, the nobles still have much in common and sympathized with each other.
Another interesting part was seeing how wealth explicitly qualified someone to be a magistrate back then.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:08 am

New season of Black Mirror is out. I’m only 2 episodes in, but it feels like it has taken a big step up. They’re leaning harder into people=shit instead of “what if you got stuck in your phone?!?”

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:39 am

broseph wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:08 am New season of Black Mirror is out. I’m only 2 episodes in, but it feels like it has taken a big step up. They’re leaning harder into people=shit instead of “what if you got stuck in your phone?!?”
A solid endorsement.

Looking forward to bingeing on it this Sunday with a few beers after work all week.

hector

Post by hector » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:12 am

GlasgowJock wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:39 am
broseph wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:08 am New season of Black Mirror is out. I’m only 2 episodes in, but it feels like it has taken a big step up. They’re leaning harder into people=shit instead of “what if you got stuck in your phone?!?”
A solid endorsement.

Looking forward to bingeing on it this Sunday with a few beers after work all week.
There are a couple new seasons I’m excited about. Looking forward to a day off so I can start season 3 of either Witcher or Warrior.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:39 pm

hector wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:12 am There are a couple new seasons I’m excited about. Looking forward to a day off so I can start season 3 of either Witcher or Warrior.
Ditto on Warrior, very happy that it got un-cancelled.

hector

Post by hector » Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:15 pm

TimK wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:39 pm
hector wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:12 am There are a couple new seasons I’m excited about. Looking forward to a day off so I can start season 3 of either Witcher or Warrior.
Ditto on Warrior, very happy that it got un-cancelled.
Haven’t watched Warrior yet.

Saw first episode of Witcher season 3. Outstanding.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Jul 04, 2023 4:53 am

With the Arnold stuff, there’s been some other muscle culture stuff added as well. Muscle and Mayhem is a decent watch. It’s a documentary about American Gladiators. Interesting to see how the show fell apart behind the scenes.

The documentary gets a little muddled in the middle and focuses oddly on steroid use twice (it feels like an editor got lost in the process), but it finishes strong.

The Arnold documentary is good. I wasn’t expecting much from the third episode but it finished well also.

OverheadDeadlifts

Post by OverheadDeadlifts » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:38 am

hector wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:15 pm Saw first episode of Witcher season 3. Outstanding.
Yeah the first episode was promising but the rest was mostly awful.

If I wasn’t a long time fan of the source material I’d probably have dropped the show halfway through season 2.
SpoilerShow
If you’d told me Radovid is now in the show as Vizimir’s adult brother instead of son and is gay for Dandelion I’d have laughed at your funny joke. Its like a bad fanfic.

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:10 pm

Ngl Black Mirror's latest series was pretty underwhelming tbh aside from the first episode and perhaps 'Loch Henry' (though only because I was working on it)

Unrelated; Re-watching The Sopranos on Sky Go after a decade since my last viewing. Sweet Jesus it's such good TV.