What’s on Netflix?!?

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

dw

Re: What’s on Netflix?!?

Post by dw » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:10 am

Wilhelm wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:40 pm Ozark may be the most overrated show in years.

Also just learned of this comedy from Oz.
Going to give it a try as soon as we finish watching season 5 of Rake.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4651812/
Bump.

I agree, frequently poor writing on many different levels, from procedural detail to character consistency to inability to sustain plotlines to stray bits of dialogue. Just finished S3 and it was by far the best but still not great.

I think Jason Bateman does a great job of keeping his character believable through subdued acting alone.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:16 am

augeleven wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:22 pm
aurelius wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:17 pm I've enjoyed She Hulk. But we need more Tim Roth.
SpoilerShow
I can’t imagine that he is not the big bad for the season. Should be an interesting couple of episodes left
Haven't watched a single episode, just from gleaning what I have from clickbait links, stills, and some memes they're likely building toward
SpoilerShow
The Leader

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:24 am

mouse wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:16 am
augeleven wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:22 pm
aurelius wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:17 pm I've enjoyed She Hulk. But we need more Tim Roth.
SpoilerShow
I can’t imagine that he is not the big bad for the season. Should be an interesting couple of episodes left
Haven't watched a single episode, just from gleaning what I have from clickbait links, stills, and some memes they're likely building toward
SpoilerShow
The Leader
Dunno if any of you read the Immortal Hulk series that wrapped up recently, but goddamn was it one of the best comic series I've read. (Tachiyomi app with ReadComicsOnline on a tablet)

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:42 pm

There’s a documentary on Netflix regarding infinity.

It’s a hot mess.

hector

Post by hector » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:21 pm

Saw Dr Sleep today.

Sequels to 80's masterpieces sometimes (usually?) fail.

Not this one.

Couple easter-egg/shootouts to the Gunslinger/Dark-Tower universe which I always appreciate.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:35 pm

Andor is the best Star Wars.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:57 pm

Allentown wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:35 pm Andor is the best Star Wars.
1st episode was meh for me. Worth sticking with?

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:24 am

aurelius wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:57 pm
Allentown wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:35 pm Andor is the best Star Wars.
1st episode was meh for me. Worth sticking with?
It definately picks up.
It feels to me like Winter Soldier: a genre show that happens to be set in a sci-fantasy universe. Some minor CGI changes and it would be a thriller set in the cold war era Soviet Union.
I've always liked the Galaxy Far Far Away more than the Star Wars, I think. This show feels like it takes place SOMEWHERE, and not in a medium-large room with TVs for walls and perhaps a box in the middle of the floor. The characters feel like PEOPLE, and not goofy, incompetent 2D characters (looking at you, Book of Boba Fett, turning the lead into comic relief).
I just really like it.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:52 am

Finally got through Dahmer... it was alright and Evan Peters does a decent job playing him but honestly Richard Jenkins is more interesting as his father. I can see why the actual families would be pissed. In trying to make the show focus on the societal failings around his case they wander a bit too far into making him look almost sympathetic.

One major (minor) criticism:
SpoilerShow
Ryan Murphy just can't fucking help himself in the last episode and has to do a super AHS influenced scene with John Wayne Gacy killing a dude in his clown get up. I'm no serial killer scholar (even though I do know a bit about the cases), but I don't think there was any evidence that Gacy cosplayed as his Pogo character while actually committing the murders. That one stupid scene completely took me out of it...
And an inappropriate thought:
SpoilerShow
If no one has done it yet, someone with some editing skills really needs to hurry up and capitalize on the viral low hanging fruit that would be splicing in Jenkins lines as the dad in Step Brothers with scenes in Dahmer. It's SUPER SUPER easy. The best example is how amazingly the bit from Step Brothers where he admits he used to pretend to be a T-Rex and terrorize neighborhood cats would mash up with the Dahmer's father coming to grips with and admitting his own homicidal thoughts/tendencies....

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:26 am

Okay, I actually like some of the work done on She Hulk.

The fourth wall stuff comes together in the end and makes sense insofar that it’s an effort to stray from the formula used in the prior MCU.

Is it great tv? No, but it’s entertaining and works well to bridge gaps.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:55 pm

mgil wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:26 amOkay, I actually like some of the work done on She Hulk.

The fourth wall stuff comes together in the end and makes sense insofar that it’s an effort to stray from the formula used in the prior MCU.

Is it great tv? No, but it’s entertaining and works well to bridge gaps.
It as least informs me that Disney is aware the Marvel formula is played out. How many more of these nonsense films can they make before audiences just stop going? I think Black Panther 2 will be a huge dud.

JonA

Post by JonA » Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:47 am

I think the best thing about the Rings of Power season is actually the "Gandalf ROASTS Rings of Power" Youtube series with the deep fake impersonations. Watching Boromir bitch about the plot armor when Bronwin gets shot by arrows is hilarious.

hsilman
✓ Registered User

Post by hsilman » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:40 am

We still need to finish RoP S1, but honestly it's been fine. People really overestimate how much the vast majority of people give a shit about the actual "source material" for shows.

Literally read today "I just can't understand 'who' they made the ROP for. The largest demographic of people who watched it were middle aged males. The same males who watched the PJ movies. Many of which read the books."

LOL, you think "many" people read the books? I'd be amazed if more than 1% of people who watch RoP or the movies read the books. And especially not any of the stuff RoP is "inspired by"(ie not LOTR/The Hobbit).

Bruh, it's a generic-ish fantasy show with some grounding in Tolkien lore. It's fine. It won't be remembered in a decade, but so what? People are so delusional about what the "average viewer" cares about.

quikky

Post by quikky » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:28 am

hsilman wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:40 am We still need to finish RoP S1, but honestly it's been fine. People really overestimate how much the vast majority of people give a shit about the actual "source material" for shows.

Literally read today "I just can't understand 'who' they made the ROP for. The largest demographic of people who watched it were middle aged males. The same males who watched the PJ movies. Many of which read the books."

LOL, you think "many" people read the books? I'd be amazed if more than 1% of people who watch RoP or the movies read the books. And especially not any of the stuff RoP is "inspired by"(ie not LOTR/The Hobbit).

Bruh, it's a generic-ish fantasy show with some grounding in Tolkien lore. It's fine. It won't be remembered in a decade, but so what? People are so delusional about what the "average viewer" cares about.
I think it's less about source material accuracy per se and more about the ultimate result on screen. Consider this: who is a more compelling writer, Tolkien, or the writing staff of RoP? When you are dealing with very high quality source material, as a rule of thumb, the more you deviate from it, the worse the outcome. (See Game of Thrones towards the end of the show). So, it's not a matter of how many LoTR nerds are watching it, but rather that you are taking one of the best works of fantasy fiction, and having far less talented writers deviating from it to form their own interpretation. It can work sometimes, but most of the time you will simply dilute the original quality and bring a cheap imitation to the masses.

The fact that you said it won't be remembered in a decade is exactly the problem. From what I understand, this is the most expensive TV show ever created. I am sure Amazon is not okay with the show being forgotten in a decade. They wanted this to be The Next Big Thing, the reason why people might sign up for Prime, their new TV cash cow, etc. Their goal is not some generic fantasy show that pays some bills.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:36 pm

Andor continues to be the best Star Wars.
Finally watching Midnight Mass. I think I am near the end of the series, I enjoy it but Hill House is a far superior show.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:23 am

FYI don’t waste your time watching The Watcher on Netflix. It’s lame and unsatisfying.

In other news, I’m really really really hoping the Fallout series coming from Amazon won’t suck. But I can’t imagine them actually doing a good job of capturing the the vibe from the games while AND writing a decent story.

dw

Post by dw » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:05 am

broseph wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:23 am FYI don’t waste your time watching The Watcher on Netflix. It’s lame and unsatisfying.

In other news, I’m really really really hoping the Fallout series coming from Amazon won’t suck. But I can’t imagine them actually doing a good job of capturing the the vibe from the games while AND writing a decent story.
I agree, I like the wacky, throwaway style humor of the 3D FO games but it would take great skill to actually sustain a drama in that style. Something like the GoG movies which whether you like them or not are expertly written.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:12 am

broseph wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:23 amIn other news, I’m really really really hoping the Fallout series coming from Amazon won’t suck. But I can’t imagine them actually doing a good job of capturing the the vibe from the games while AND writing a decent story.
I think they can. Fallout is overly serious, dark humor, and background absurdity. The absurdity comes through the 1950’s aesthetics and cartoonish design. If they try to bring the absurdity into foreground it will just become silly. Look at a movie like Idiocracy. The movie and characters took the setting seriously. Only we as outsiders understood the absurdity. Did f course that was far more light and silly than Fallout.

Maybe a slap stick Fallout could work? But it would be a different tone from the games. I have hope man. Rings of Power was better than okay. And fallout won’t be burdened by a bunch of internet trolls screaming about canon.

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:02 pm

broseph wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:23 am FYI don’t waste your time watching The Watcher on Netflix. It’s lame and unsatisfying.
The lame unsatisfying ending was annoying as hell.

At least Prime UK have released seasons 4 to 6 of Animal Kingdom, woot.

dw

Post by dw » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:07 pm

GlasgowJock wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:02 pm
The lame unsatisfying ending was annoying as hell.

At least Prime UK have released seasons 4 to 6 of Animal Kingdom, woot.
I just recently started watching this, a few episodes into S2.

It's the very essence of Americanization compared to the movie imo, for good and ill.