Adjustable bench recommendations?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Hardartery

Re: Adjustable bench recommendations?

Post by Hardartery » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:25 am

James wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:26 am Wouldn't less arch because you don't have a seat mean more ROM?

Sliding really isn't a problem if you have a decent bench top or a roll of shelf liner.
I admit that you guys have lost me here. I cannot imagine how an arch has any impact on incline ROM unless a guy is lowering the bar to the abs and not the pecs. Unless thoracic arch is somehow related to having a seat for someone's biomechanics. I also don't see how it makes much difference as to leg involvement. I am unaware of anyone doing incline Larsen Press, which frankly sounds like a terrible idea. Mike T's setup should allow more weight because you can apply a lot more force agains a fixed rack base than you can when relying on friction to keep your feet planted.

Bliss

Post by Bliss » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:08 am

James wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:59 am Turns out I didn't need to take a picture because Mike T put up an IG story and he's not using a box anymore. He switched to setting it up like I do. Except he uses a bar instead of a pipe he found in a scrap pile and he faces to the back of the rack to use the floor cross member to brace his feet. Which is pretty smart.

Have a screenshot for when the story goes down.

Edit: Also totally stealing the idea of marking the center point on the bench feet.
can't edit the post...

Bliss

Post by Bliss » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:21 am

Cool, cheers for tha­t!
It looks like he is also additionally wedging the bar into the J-hooks from abo­ve with safeties. Lo­oks sturdy enough.

Only thing I'd think about still, is to make some sort of we­dge to avoid the edge of the lower bench foot digging into the floor and/or to maximize its footprin­t.

Re the discussion of seat/arch/ROM:

KOTJ, if i understand what you meant cor­rectly - seat at 90 degrees to the back support of a proper incline bench (at wh­atever angle you cho­ose, the lower part is also adjustable to give a 90 degree between them)
--
Good ass support al­lowing to set a good arch
--
Technique more akin to a flat bench, ar­ch, leg drive, more weight BUT reduced ROM, surely?

Which are all fair points you make, but are they important if one would treat in­cline as a hypertrop­hy-only movement, for (upper)-titty gains mainly?

You'd then argue that for BB style incli­ne benching you would in fact prefer no arch, no legdrive, more ROM, moar pump, less weight for more volume.

Skander

Post by Skander » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:46 am

hector wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:09 pm
quikky wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:52 am I've replaced my Rep flat with this Rep adjustable: https://www.repfitness.com/benches/adju ... 5200-bench

Been pretty happy with it.
You’re living the dream!!!
I’m not going to buy anytime soon, but I still wonder how (if at all) noticeable the gap is when flat benching?
It's not very noticeable because the inclining portion of the bench is about the same size as my entire old rogue flat bench. So most of the time when flat, I don't even use the "seat" of the belt.

This does mean that the whole thing is fairly large and sometimes a bit of a space hog. Sometimes I'm doing lifts on the same side of my gym as the bench and it means I don't have a lot of space there. Same issue if you're limited on space behind the rack.

quikky

Post by quikky » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:57 am

hector wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:09 pm
quikky wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:52 am I've replaced my Rep flat with this Rep adjustable: https://www.repfitness.com/benches/adju ... 5200-bench

Been pretty happy with it.
You’re living the dream!!!
I’m not going to buy anytime soon, but I still wonder how (if at all) noticeable the gap is when flat benching?
It's not an issue at all because the pad is big, and my butt is on the bottom of the larger pad. There is no gap, essentially.