Tool guys let’s talk about what I should do

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mouse

Re: Tool guys let’s talk about what I should do

Post by mouse » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:57 am

broseph wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:56 am I’m building a deck. The palm nailer is the best kept secret in deck construction that I’m aware of.
I tinkered with picking one of these up because I'm restarting the deck rehab I started in 2020 before the great deck board drought.

Used it as an excuse to relegate my old corded 7-1/4 Skil saw to backup for a fancy new cordless saw because HD had a battery deal going. However they apparently decided to run this deal without stocking any of the batteries they were giving away. The guy at HD1 told me HD2 across town had them in stock, so I drove over there... and they still didn't have them. So I persuaded the assistant manager into giving me a battery combo pack they DID have on the shelf as a fill-in for the deal. Had I not gotten hosed on the price of lumber by driving across town I would have thought I made out pretty good...

Saw a spoiler for labor day that HD will be running a pretty decent sale on the Milwaukee M12 stuff including some new gen combo kits if anyone needs stuff. I'm probably going to be financially irresponsible and buy the 6 amp battery kit because one of the freebies you can get is the fuel version oscillating tool for $200 and I kinda hate the little $20 corded walmart special I have...

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:20 pm

Minor highjack, I'm building a little rig for my hangboard to put over my squat rack pullup bar. I did this:

The top bit is used to keep it up, and the little piece sticking out of the bottom basically braces the whole thing against the bottom bar to keep it from rotating.

What I wasn't sure about was the best way to fasten it, especially given that I don't think I can use metal L brackets on the inside while keeping a snug fit and an undamaged pullup bar. Right now I have the screws coming in from the top because it seemed like those would do better under tension than shearing. It's quite snug on the fat bar up top. It does creak a good bit when I weight it, which makes me not very confident. The picture from the side seems to show that it's rotating a bit but staying pretty true. I think the top piece of wood would be stronger if I had the grain perpendicular to the bar, rather than parallel, so maybe I should change that board out for 3 or 4 perpendicular pieces that would go over the top of the bar?

I suppose I'm hoping someone has a bit more experience joining wood in tension-bearing scenarios. It needs to be able to hold ~250lbs, since I would be adding weight to the pulley to take it off of myself in some scenarios. I could also devise a rope setup to attach the pulley directly to the bar if only needing to support ~200lbs would be significantly easier.

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:33 pm

So I bought the Milwaukee mid torque impact while it was on sale for cyber Monday and today was the first time I played with it.

Just putting on my wife's snow tires but the lug nut mode is way nicer than I anticipated. In reverse it will ramp up quick to break them loose but then cut the RPMs way down once it feels the torque drop out. Then in drive it will fasten until it hits ~35 ft lbs and then stops so a dumb dumb (or kid) doesn't accidentally over torque them...

Originally had my eye on the high torque, but a friend and fellow shitbox connoisseur has one that he swears by, and it was way cheaper so...

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:31 pm

Any opinions on rolling/folding miter saw stands? Looking at Dewalt or Rigid. I'm open to other options, but what I've seen looks to be either far more than the Dewalt or are cheap garbage.

Dewalt:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-32-1 ... /202935041

Rigid:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Univ ... /206992161

I picked up a Dewalt rolling/folding stand for my job site table saw, and it's awesome for my needs and awoke something inside me that now demands that I get something similar for the miter saw (which I am now getting the itch to upgrade to a sliding model).

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:57 pm

Picked up a Milwaukee M12 3/8 stubby impact. I am unstoppable now.

Hoping it's worth it, my football sized corded Harbor Freight impact is nice but it's just way too big to use in a lot of cases. Not going to be using it much since I am mostly done doing suspension work to my shitboxes, but considering I only paid $189 for a battery, charger and impact it's very nice to have

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:05 am

murphyreedus wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:31 pm Any opinions on rolling/folding miter saw stands? Looking at Dewalt or Rigid. I'm open to other options, but what I've seen looks to be either far more than the Dewalt or are cheap garbage.

Dewalt:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-32-1 ... /202935041

Rigid:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Univ ... /206992161

I picked up a Dewalt rolling/folding stand for my job site table saw, and it's awesome for my needs and awoke something inside me that now demands that I get something similar for the miter saw (which I am now getting the itch to upgrade to a sliding model).
I had a Delta stand and a Ridgid. I really liked the Ridgid, the Delta was garbage, I hate Dewalt stuff in general so I don't buy it usually. Slide is the miracle you've been hoping for on a compound, it really is awesome.

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:05 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:57 pm Picked up a Milwaukee M12 3/8 stubby impact. I am unstoppable now.
My truck would hurt your feelings...

I really want one of those because it's so little but I don't know how useful it would be because of ya know... the rust. My mid is (so far) small enough to fit in the spots where I need it the most...

Speaking of Milwaukee...

I broke the paddle of my angle grinder today, not exactly happy. Still works without it and I was able to cut off the old sway bar link (that was exactly doing anything if you saw my IG) but I guess it's time to test that warranty...

Miter saw stands: pretty sure my father in law has that Dewalt and it seems nice enough.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:05 am

Hardartery wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:05 am I had a Delta stand and a Ridgid. I really liked the Ridgid, the Delta was garbage, I hate Dewalt stuff in general so I don't buy it usually. Slide is the miracle you've been hoping for on a compound, it really is awesome.
I had a chance to check out the Dewalt in a store, and it didn't wow me enough to spend the extra money. Ordered the Ridgid and put it together yesterday. Seems like a really nice stand for my needs, and is nice and stable in the vertical storage position. Now I just need to find a sliding saw.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:37 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:05 am
Hardartery wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:05 am I had a Delta stand and a Ridgid. I really liked the Ridgid, the Delta was garbage, I hate Dewalt stuff in general so I don't buy it usually. Slide is the miracle you've been hoping for on a compound, it really is awesome.
I had a chance to check out the Dewalt in a store, and it didn't wow me enough to spend the extra money. Ordered the Ridgid and put it together yesterday. Seems like a really nice stand for my needs, and is nice and stable in the vertical storage position. Now I just need to find a sliding saw.
I was actually just gonna pop in and say we have that Dewalt stand on our chop saw at work and that my feelings on it echo yours... is what it is... not for that price hahaha

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:00 am

Not to flood a training log with more power tool battery talk:
I've been living in the 1980s with my dad's old Ingersoll Rand corded drill, but have been thinking of coming to the 21st century with some cordless tools and understand that you basically need to marry a brand because of the batteries or spend beaucoup bucks and have half a dozen chargers.

I've always swayed toward Milwaukee because they've always been a good brand, but do they hold their reputation for cordless power tools vs the makitas, dewalts, etc out there and worth the extra money?

mouse

Post by mouse » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:14 pm

Work gloves, has anyone ever found a pair that hold up over say... a year of cutting firewood?

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:34 pm

mouse wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:14 pm Work gloves, has anyone ever found a pair that hold up over say... a year of cutting firewood?
No. And all gloves suck, in every way. When forced to use them I used the cheap knit ones that came in a bale from Northern Tool and treated them disposable.. did I mention I hate gloves?

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:02 pm

mouse wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:14 pm Work gloves, has anyone ever found a pair that hold up over say... a year of cutting firewood?
Not really. I just buy the cheap leather ones that come in multipacks, and toss them as they wear out. I also tend to lose them and often get them muddy/wet/gross, so don't really want to sink money into anything nicer when those are like $2/pair.

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:48 pm

Work gloves: when I needed gloves for work I tried a lot of things. The best thing I found was the tight fitting knit gloves with rubber palms, Atlas Fit or equivalent. For late fall/early spring there is Atlas Therma fit, with just enough insulation to keep the hands from freezing. For actual winter, layer the Therma fit under a loose pair of mittens with idiot strings, take the mittens off when you need glove dexterity. I never found any leather gloves to match the combined dexterity and durability of rubber coated knit fabric.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:13 pm

I have to head down south to my brother's place to help him put a gate on his existing fence, and he decided to spring a new foundation for a shed on me too, so I decided I wanted to use some of my corporate thank you bucks on some fancy new sawhorses...

https://toughbuilt.com/product/c700-saw ... table-test

Here's my experience with Home Depot today:

The following takes place on July 11th 2023 between the hours of 7:00 am and 3:10 pm:

- decided to use some corporate thank you bucks on some new sawhorses

- cash out $100 corporate bucks for HD gift card

- see that Store A has a quantity of ~6 in stock

- confirm with my wife she'd be able to stop, as she would be 5 min from there for a doctor's appt

- place order with $100 gift card and ~$40 card

- *time elapses*

- confirm with wife on how to pick up order, notice order only shows qty 1

- check main website, account shows half of my order has been cancelled

- call Store A and am informed by very rude woman they only have 1, and that online qtys are not legitimate

- while on the phone I confirm the full gift card has been depleted and the rude woman informs me I will need to 'get the other to get a refund'

- perturbed, I cancel the remainder of the order without pickup, thinking it will trigger a refund

- it doesn't, so I call customer service, who confirms they issued a full refund, but that I need to go to 'any location' to collect it

- perturbed, I go to Store B down the road from my employer, and confirm the situation

- Manager (kid) attempts to initiate the refund, and can't

- my entire lunch break later, I am told something happened, and that 'they' accidentally refunded me ~$5 in tax and 'they' need to figure it out, manager (kid) assures me he will call me in 2-3 days, at which point I can come back and get my money

- very perturbed, make the unwise financial decision to just order the shit on Amazon

- stewing, call customer service back to find out just why they're holding my shit hostage

- discover that the system tried to send me ~$29 to my email, and that Store B fucked up trying to refund the $100 and somehow turned it into an IT issue?

- discover the whole 'show up in person' is not required and that CS can submit a req to refund it at any time, so she sends it to resolution and says I should see a new code in 24-48 hrs

- 20 minutes later receive a call from HD (that I almost don't answer, thinking it might be Store B telling me to come back)

- talk to a very concerned and apologetic resolution rep who asks some poignant questions about how this all went down

- Rep offers to refund me the full $100 + ~$29 the system says it owes me as an apology

- for a moment I think about trying to take them for more but then appreciate she's willing to make this all happen while I'm on the phone, giving me a new code immediately

- take a deep breath and place a new order, this time taking the free ship to home for this Friday

- cancel my Amazon order and receive my gift card balance back immediately :|

So here I am, hoping I'll have some new sawhorses to bring with me this weekend... but at least they only cost-to-me $9...

5hout

Post by 5hout » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:20 pm

@mouse The thing is, those sawhorses are amazing and worth it.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:24 pm

5hout wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:20 pm @mouse The thing is, those sawhorses are amazing and worth it.
I'm counting on it, I'm still using my dad's old hand me downs for everything and it's not exactly a stable platform...

Edit: totally worth it