MarkKO's training log

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

MarkKO

Re: MarkKO's training log

Post by MarkKO » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:45 am

Week four of block two started not as I would have intended.

A good day at work finishing a little later than usual put me a little off training, but I figured I'd just get in and do what I could before 1800 at which point I would leave. A fair compromise, no?

True to my word I changed, warmed up and started squatting.

Monday bow bar squat
2x1x385 lbs

That's it. I couldn't brace for shit and everything felt off so I packed up my toys and went home. I figure I won't do myself any favours by digging deeper into whatever hole I'm physically in right this minute.

I'm glad I didn't decide to tough it out because as soon as I got home I felt like I'd been hit by a truck.

Best guess I can come up with is the diet is really starting to bite and going back to training four days a week is starting to impact accumulated fatigue. I'm also somewhat congested so quite possibly might have some cold or flu shit going on.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:57 pm

Still absolutely knackered and I have no good reason for it. Still congested too so I'm really leaning towards some kind of bug being the main cause now as opposed to the diet.

I also think I may do well to pivot training somewhat for a block or two. It's all well and good for me to be chafing at the bit to do the meet in September but I should really focus on being able to do it well more than anything.

I'm tossing around a couple of ideas in my head and one them is shifting all my lifts to the same model as my floor press. The other is going back to three days a week and alternating squat one week and deadlift the next.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:20 am

Ended up resorting to caffeine-laced Paracetamol to get me through the day (not because I had any pain but I do have them in my lunch bag, and on site there is no convenient coffee). I was still almost struggling to keep my eyes open by the time work finished.

Tuesday bench
3x264 lbs
3x8x220 lbs
3x8 pullups
2x25x22 lbs chest supported dumbbell flys

That took me through to 1800 and was plenty.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:34 am

Feeling somewhat better today, but decided to again just train till 1800 and leave.

Thursday sumo DL on stiff bar
3x474 lbs which felt pretty good. Hook grip might be starting to be less agonising too.
3x6x385 lbs with straps
50 m x 352 lbs backwards sled drags with the usual only rest being turning the sled around every 10 metres
3x12 GHR

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:48 am

Definitely back to normal. Carbon went and reduced my calories because my loss rate wasn't as much as before, and I know exactly why that happened. The days I was feeling wrecked I was a little higher on the scale due to what I'm guessing was inflammation. I'm going to go ahead an ignore that drop because the last week of the diet is coming up.

Friday floor press with football bar, mid grip
5x215 lbs which moved as well as it has to this point
4x10x170 lbs and the first five reps of each set were FAST. Everything goes up by five pounds now.
3x8 pullups
3x12x44 lbs DB seated press
3x10x176 lbs machine chest supported row
3x20x22 lbs chest supported DB flys

This week and next week are turning into a run-in of the next two blocks in terms of some slight changes in exercise selection and a movement towards double progression across all exercises.

I seem to have a very tight what I think is left teres, or something in that area. Certain movements 'hurt' but not in the way that they would hurt if I had an actual injury. I think it's some kind of knot deep somewhere that is possibly a progression of that left trap BS. Certain positions benching or floor pressing are uncomfortable but not painful, and in a weird way just feel like different parts are pulling at each other.

My intention is to roll that area thoroughly this weekend and see what develops.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:15 pm

Got my backside out to go for a weighted vest walk. The weather was too nice not to, and it's a very long weekend for me so yeah. Nothing fast, but not as slow as I expected.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:50 pm

It's week five of block two, and before I forget I did go for a weighted vest walk on Sunday as well. Came in faster than Saturday by a bit but nowhere near a 'fast' time.

Monday SSB squat
3x413 lbs
3x8x325 lbs, a fourth set is there which will happen next week
30 m x 352 lbs backwards sled drag
2x10x225 lbs barbell rows with bench grip
2x20x225 lbs reverse hyper
2x50 facepulls

I was going to post squat and row videos but the squat video quality is GD awful because I placed the camera like a very, very stupid person.

Squats were great on the knee and moved pretty well as they should at this weight. It's actually identical loading to when I last did did 3, 4x6-8 with the SSB in late 2020 when, coincidentally I'm pretty sure I weighed around the exact same.

*checks records*

Ok, no, I was around 22 pounds heavier when I last did that.

Not that any of that has any relevance TBH.

The whole tight teres thing seems to be easing up, and tomorrow benching will be something of a test to see how it responds.

The plan going forward that I've hinted at already is for blocks three and four to be somewhat of a notable pivot from my usual system. The idea which I think I mentioned at least in passing is that I want to have as good a shot as I can at adding some lean mass once the diet ends at the end of this week.

To that end, almost every lift is moving to double progression. Experience dictates I can usually maintain a fairly consistent rate of increase for eight to 10 weeks, which is exactly two blocks. It'll also let me generate a nice amount of fatigue and have a block back at my usual system to lead into peak.

Because of this whole shoulder tightness BS combined with what is around a 25% increase in benching volume i figured the SSB would be a wiser option. I does mean I miss out really practising my competition squat but I still have a full block plus peak and I'd rather be a tad rusty with a straight bar than do something to my shoulder.

I'm not expecting any miracle of any kind because I'll be looking to maintain my weight but I do think I'll come out of this better than I am going in. The scale should remain around 209 lbs give or take a pound either side for the next three months at least. The range Carbon set is 208-211 lbs and I will stick to that.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:55 pm

Tuesday bench
3x264 lbs
3x8x220 lbs
2x8 pullups
2x12x66 lbs decline DB bench
2x 10/side x 132 lbs DB row
2x20x22 lbs chest supported DB fly

This all felt perfectly fine. Left shoulder thing whatever it is actually loosened up after training which I'm counting as a win. I also suspect it might be my subscapularis, not just the teres but TBH with my sketchy knowledge of anatomy we'll just say it's something around my left armpit or thereabouts.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:28 am

3x474 lbs, got a little out of position on the third rep early on but nothing disastrous. Also it's not so heavy I can't muscle it a little.
6, 4, 6x385 lbs the four because I fell over backwards on rep five. The TUT on these sets is kicking my backside, because while my work capacity isn't bad it isn't geared towards holding position without breathing. If I get nothing else out of pulling sumo, I'll get comfortable holding position.
30 m x 352 lbs backwards sled drags
2x12 GHR
2x10x198 lbs close grip lat pulldown
2x50 facepulls

It'll be a while before I get 4x8 for those deadlifts.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:50 am

Friday floor press with football bar
5x220 lbs
2x10x176 lbs
2x8 pullups
2x12x44 lbs seated DB press
2x10x176 lbs machine chest supported rows
2x20x22 lbs chest supported DB flys

I obviously poked and prodded the left teres area to see what it was doing and one thing that became very clear was that the floor press made it significantly *less* tight for a short period. After training it also hasn't gotten tighter than before training. Whatever the hell is going on, it doesn't seem to be related to or aggravated by pressing.

Block three begins next week and I have a pretty good idea of how the new setup is panning out after this week and the week before.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:24 pm

Went for a weighted vest walk before the rain started again. It's meant to be pouring all weekend so I wanted to get at least one walk in. Middling kind of time but it felt like I was going a lot faster than I was.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon May 01, 2023 2:39 am

Block three starts today, and so does the maintenance phase.

Monday SSB squat
3x413 lbs
4x8x325 lbs, so everything goes up five pounds
50 m x 352 lbs backwards sled drags
4x8x220 lbs BB rows
4x20x220 lbs reverse hyper
2x50 facepulls

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue May 02, 2023 2:47 am

Today was another train till 1800 day, but only because I don't like leaving the gym after 1800 because time and things to do at home.

Tuesday bench
3x264 lbs
4x8x220 lbs, so I get to add five pounds to everything
4x8 pullups, last rep on set four was very borderline. This will be plenty challenging for a while

That's it. It doesn't look like much and took a little longer because I was helping one of the guys with his squat but it also felt productive for whatever that's worth.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu May 04, 2023 2:53 am

Another train till 1800 and leave day, but I was also adamant that I'd get at least one set of pulls with more than six reps.

3x474 lbs
3x7, 5x385 lbs which were some of the hardest sets of anything I've ever done. I almost blacked out after set two. The technique is starting to click though, it's just super hard for me because of how long a rep takes and I'm not used to holding my air that long.
4x12 GHR

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri May 05, 2023 2:44 am

Friday floor press with football bar
5x220 lbs
10x165 lbs, misloaded. Dang.
10x176 lbs
2x8x176 lbs
4x8 pullups
2x12, 2x10x44 lbs seated DB press
12, 3x10x176 lbs chest supported machine rows
4x25x22 lbs chest supported DB flys, I'll add five pounds next week

This was a phenomenal session. I got a pump everywhere I trained, which isn't a given for me.

If I can maintain this during the coming two blocks I'm going to be in a great position. I think chasing progress across all the lifts I do is something that will be good for me. I wasn't not working hard before, but this adds a whole new element that I've been missing for a good six months.

The tightness is my teres/subscapularis or whatever also is abating somewhat which is good. It isn't completely gone, but is significantly improved compared to where it was this time last week. It would seem that training is not aggravating it.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri May 05, 2023 9:47 pm

Took advantage of the weather and went for a weighted vest walk. If I can I'll go tomorrow as well. Reasonably fast time, which I didn't expect.

First week of maintenance in the books and much as I expected the scale is still going down. Carbon didn't adjust anything this checkin which is fine, I'm sure it'll catch on if this persists which experience dictates it will.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat May 06, 2023 7:05 pm

Caught a break in the weather and went on another weighted vest walk. It felt really fast but came in a tad slower than yesterday.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon May 08, 2023 2:45 am

Week two of block three is here.

Monday SSB squat
3x424 lbs
4x8x336 lbs so everything goes up 10 pounds again
4x10x220 lbs barbell rows, so these go up 10 pounds as well
4x20x220 lbs reverse hyper
2x50 facepulls

Left knee complained a tad towards the end of squats but I think that's because it was the first time in a while I was squatting without actually thinking about my knee so I moved a bit differently. No issue I don't think.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue May 09, 2023 2:21 am

Tuesday bench
3x270 lbs
3x8, 6x225 lbs. I already knew I was only getting six by rep five but then just off my chest on six something happened and I felt a kind of shock through my rear delt into my tricep immediately preceded by what felt like the bar dropping. I saved the rep but that right rear delt and tricep tightened all the way up.
4x8 pullups, zero issue. Felt completely normal
10x66 lbs DB decline bench and called it there because the right rear delt and tricep while not painful felt very tight and definitely uncomfortable.
2x25x27 lbs chest supported DB flys, called it after set two because my right rear delt/trap started feeling really tight

It's a couple of hours later and honestly, the right rear delt/tricep feels very similar how my left side felt with the recent 'teres' or 'subscap' issue, to the point that even the same movements are uncomfortable. Hopefully that means it'll go down the exact same path and clear itself up over the next couple of weeks without needing any break from pressing.

I deliberately didn't do the single arm DB rows simply because of how much tension they put on my whole upper body. It seemed like a bad idea until I know if this new thing is going to go the way I hope or not.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri May 12, 2023 1:51 am

My right shoulder/tricep/teres area is better, but still tight. Feels very similar to how the left felt and rolling the equivalent area has a similar effect so all in all it is progressing much as I initially hoped. Still decided to be cautious and do no more pressing this week.

Also didn't train Thursday simply because I just didn't want to and felt better for it. Even today (Friday) it was touch and go.

Carbon increased my calories as I expected it would this checkin because I had consistently weighed in well below the minimum required maintenance weight. I'll see what my waist is at tomorrow.

Friday Sumo DL on stiff bar
5x1x495 lbs, hook grip
10x1x275 lbs paused off the floor, took around five or six minutes to get through these

That was it. I wanted to get an idea of how well I could stay in positon with repeated heavier singles and the answer is just fine providing I concentrate. The pauses were just to practice the hard start portion of the lift.