MarkKO's training log

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Hardartery

Re: MarkKO's training log

Post by Hardartery » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:51 am

MarkKO wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:22 am Bang on cue started feeling flat as all hell as work finished. This time I decided to take some pre workout when I got to the gym, that same nootropic one with no stimulants. I almost opted for a nap on the couches before training.

Friday log clean and press away
4x187 lbs, 1x187 lbs so that's one more rep to the first set than last time. I'll get five next time. I leaned back a bunch more and that helps.
4x8x143 lbs, first two sets strict which, unsurprisingly, was good advice from @Hardartery
10, 8, 7 pullups, callous tear seems to have healed fully but man these were hard today
5L/5Rx60 lbs DB clean and press away
5L/5Rx71 lbs DB clean and press away (I need to go back and check, I think previously I've logged these as 77 lbs which they definitely aren't)
4L/4Rx82 lbs DB clean and press away which was a nice surprise
3L/2Rx82 lbs DB clean and press away, two on the right because on the third the collar gave out and the plates fell off the back
2x15x132 lbs T-bar rows
3x102 lbs, 3x82 lbs, 8x62 lbs, 10x42 lbs, 26x22 lbs tricep pushdowns with failure on rep 27. Ok, so what happened is, I didn't look at the stack closely enough to see that someone had loaded up two 11 lbs plates right at the bottom, under the 20 lbs plates. I just put the usual four 20s on and was shocked when they felt so damn heavy. I didn't discover what had happened until I'd stripped off two 20s.
3x35 facepulls
2x12 metres x 264 lbs sandbag carry. Longitudinal pick is getting easier, or rather it's still hard as hell but I can do it even when I'm tired now. Legs were heavy though, from Wednesday. Couldn't move as fast.

Then my mate Greg was doing yoke walks, and we'd kind of planned on my joining him because he likes that I get in his ear and push him. I've never done a yoke before.

20 metres x 507 lbs
40 metres x 507 lbs
5x40 metres x 330 lbs, which was Greg's working work. I used these to just move as fast as I possibly good without the yoke flailing around.

Yoke is much easier than farmer's walks for me.

The pressing also felt a ton better with both implements today. I just need to work on my balance with log leaning back, because leaning makes the press so much easier. The DB felt amazing today. I took the collar mishap as a cue to stop, but really if it hadn't I would have been tempted to keep going.
You will find that the Log Press has direct carry over from your Bench once you are comfortable with that lean. I am sure you will hit a spot where the weight just jumps way up for you as you have a solid Bench.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:22 am

Hardartery wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:51 am
MarkKO wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:22 am Bang on cue started feeling flat as all hell as work finished. This time I decided to take some pre workout when I got to the gym, that same nootropic one with no stimulants. I almost opted for a nap on the couches before training.

Friday log clean and press away
4x187 lbs, 1x187 lbs so that's one more rep to the first set than last time. I'll get five next time. I leaned back a bunch more and that helps.
4x8x143 lbs, first two sets strict which, unsurprisingly, was good advice from @Hardartery
10, 8, 7 pullups, callous tear seems to have healed fully but man these were hard today
5L/5Rx60 lbs DB clean and press away
5L/5Rx71 lbs DB clean and press away (I need to go back and check, I think previously I've logged these as 77 lbs which they definitely aren't)
4L/4Rx82 lbs DB clean and press away which was a nice surprise
3L/2Rx82 lbs DB clean and press away, two on the right because on the third the collar gave out and the plates fell off the back
2x15x132 lbs T-bar rows
3x102 lbs, 3x82 lbs, 8x62 lbs, 10x42 lbs, 26x22 lbs tricep pushdowns with failure on rep 27. Ok, so what happened is, I didn't look at the stack closely enough to see that someone had loaded up two 11 lbs plates right at the bottom, under the 20 lbs plates. I just put the usual four 20s on and was shocked when they felt so damn heavy. I didn't discover what had happened until I'd stripped off two 20s.
3x35 facepulls
2x12 metres x 264 lbs sandbag carry. Longitudinal pick is getting easier, or rather it's still hard as hell but I can do it even when I'm tired now. Legs were heavy though, from Wednesday. Couldn't move as fast.

Then my mate Greg was doing yoke walks, and we'd kind of planned on my joining him because he likes that I get in his ear and push him. I've never done a yoke before.

20 metres x 507 lbs
40 metres x 507 lbs
5x40 metres x 330 lbs, which was Greg's working work. I used these to just move as fast as I possibly good without the yoke flailing around.

Yoke is much easier than farmer's walks for me.

The pressing also felt a ton better with both implements today. I just need to work on my balance with log leaning back, because leaning makes the press so much easier. The DB felt amazing today. I took the collar mishap as a cue to stop, but really if it hadn't I would have been tempted to keep going.
You will find that the Log Press has direct carry over from your Bench once you are comfortable with that lean. I am sure you will hit a spot where the weight just jumps way up for you as you have a solid Bench.
I can totally see that happening. It feels a lot like sandbag to shoulder, if I'm in the right position it moves great but if I'm slightly off it is really GD hard. Also thank you for saying I have a solid bench.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:14 am

It's week two of block three and that flatness hasn't gone anywhere. I think I'm just a bit burnt out from work, but until the new year I won't be working any weekends which I think will do wonders. This coming weekend is the last one any work is happening, but I am 'away' because Saturday is the Christmas party so it turns out we're going to going to Sydney on Friday to visit family who are going overseas for Christmas and will be there all weekend. Actually, @Renascent I have to credit you with the inspiration for this because you mentioned having to visit extended family which is where I got this idea. So thanks.

Monday bench
4x2x253 lbs
9x253 lbs, not the 10 I want to make an equal PR and move up in weight but given how I've been feeling still plenty ok. Also managed to nix the unrack issue. All I have to so is get further back on the pad, to where I would be if it was in the right position.
10, 6, 5, 5 pullups. Seems like I can now almost guarantee that first set being 10. The later sets less so.
10x132 lbs, 8x132 lbs, 10x132 lbs JM press off pins and it is time to replace that exercise. I'm not getting anything in my triceps now, I think I've just exhausted it's usefulness for the time being.
2x15x132 lbs T-bar rows
2x15x3 chains/side chain flys, 21x3 chains/side chain flys with failure on the 22nd
2x50 facepulls
3/side x 132 lbs STS
2/side x 165 lbs STS
1/side x 187 lbs STS
2x12 metres x 264 lbs sandbag carry with which I'm getting a lot better at picking the pace up on

This was a bargaining day. I kept going by telling myself that if I got through the next exercise, then I could go home if I really wanted to.

As to the JM press, I don't know the exact mechanism behind it but I seem to find that a lot of upper body pushing exercises stop feeling right after six months or so. Doesn't happen with anything for my legs, or my back. But after that time it does seem like pushes just stop being felt in the muscles they're meant to be felt in. Whatever the reason, I'll put close grip incline press in that slot and see how that runs.

As long as I feel it mostly in my triceps, I'm happy.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:16 pm

MarkKO wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:14 am It's week two of block three and that flatness hasn't gone anywhere. I think I'm just a bit burnt out from work, but until the new year I won't be working any weekends which I think will do wonders. This coming weekend is the last one any work is happening, but I am 'away' because Saturday is the Christmas party so it turns out we're going to going to Sydney on Friday to visit family who are going overseas for Christmas and will be there all weekend. Actually, @Renascent I have to credit you with the inspiration for this because you mentioned having to visit extended family which is where I got this idea. So thanks.
:D

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:35 am

This whole flat and lack of focus BS is becoming an unwelcome trend. I am somewhat stressed at work though, as are most of my colleagues and much as I hate to admit it I think that's bleeding into my performance a little. I should probably stop complaining about it.

Wednesday SSB squat
4x2x352 lbs with seven second rests between sets
60-90 second rest, focus just gone (estimated)
5x2x352 lbs with seven second rests between sets
60-90 second rest, focus MIA again (estimated)
2, 5x352 lbs with seven second rests between sets
5x3x374 lbs DL on stiff bar against mini bands in four minutes and 48 seconds, so I get to add 2.5 per cent next time
3x25x308 lbs reverse hyper
2x25 air squats done as Hatfield squats
25 walking lunges, left knee hurt a little as the bottom nut nothing like last week. Also noticeably better pump in the right quad so I'm still going to need to watch this

Seven seconds between squat sets wasn't deliberate, that just turned out to be what three breaths was today and it was consistent AF which is nice but probably also made life a bit harder. I'm pissed at myself for racking the bar twice but it is what it is. I knew nine doubles would be hard on a good day. I just can't count under pressure so ended up with 10.

I ditched pullups and facepulls (again, did it last Wednesday too) because I think I very, very mildly strained my biceps on the sandbag on Monday. I noticed at work yesterday and today certain movements were painful beyond DOMS so I thought I'd be smart and give them a couple of days.

Band tension on the DL was a little more this time because of how I set them up and this wasn't deliberate but will be repeated for sure. I left the bands quite slack between the pegs, so there was less to stretch over the bar.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:40 am

MarkKO wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:14 am As to the JM press, I don't know the exact mechanism behind it but I seem to find that a lot of upper body pushing exercises stop feeling right after six months or so. Doesn't happen with anything for my legs, or my back. But after that time it does seem like pushes just stop being felt in the muscles they're meant to be felt in. Whatever the reason, I'll put close grip incline press in that slot and see how that runs.
Interesting. As much as modern lifters like to deride Louie Simmons and Westside, I think that accomodation is actually a thing and exercises have to be rotatated to avoid it. And just like you I feel that upper body lifts get stale quicker than the others.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:29 am

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:40 am
MarkKO wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:14 am As to the JM press, I don't know the exact mechanism behind it but I seem to find that a lot of upper body pushing exercises stop feeling right after six months or so. Doesn't happen with anything for my legs, or my back. But after that time it does seem like pushes just stop being felt in the muscles they're meant to be felt in. Whatever the reason, I'll put close grip incline press in that slot and see how that runs.
Interesting. As much as modern lifters like to deride Louie Simmons and Westside, I think that accomodation is actually a thing and exercises have to be rotatated to avoid it. And just like you I feel that upper body lifts get stale quicker than the others.
The longer I do this, the more I realise just how smart Louie was.

I'm not sure why it's limited to upper body pushes for me, though.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:58 am

MarkKO wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:29 am

Difference in fibre types maybe? The weight jumps are also smaller for upper body usually, which I am not saying is wrong, but the stimulus maybe isn't enough with small increases. I found that using stupid weight for shoulder raises, for example weights that I can't initially complete a full reps with, actually do wonders for that progression. When I used lighter DB's and tried to ease my way up I got nowhere. A forced big jump triggered the revelation and change in tactic. I was surprised to discover that I wasn't going to simply tear something that way.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:39 pm

Hardartery wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:58 am
MarkKO wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:29 am

Difference in fibre types maybe? The weight jumps are also smaller for upper body usually, which I am not saying is wrong, but the stimulus maybe isn't enough with small increases. I found that using stupid weight for shoulder raises, for example weights that I can't initially complete a full reps with, actually do wonders for that progression. When I used lighter DB's and tried to ease my way up I got nowhere. A forced big jump triggered the revelation and change in tactic. I was surprised to discover that I wasn't going to simply tear something that way.
Possibly.

The thing with me is not so much that I can't add any more weight or the exercise gets too easy. It's that I stop feeling the exercise in the muscle the way I used to. The difficulty/intensity doesn't change, but what I feel in the target muscle does. It'll go from target muscle straining pretty much in isolation to everything BUT the target muscle straining.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:41 am

Ok, Friday. Actually felt better going in.

Friday axle clean and press away
5x192 lbs
4x10x136 lbs, first two sets strict. I'll add five pounds to these next time
10, 8, 7 pullups. Biceps seem ok
5L/5R x 60 lbs DB clean and press away
2, 3L/5R x 82 lbs DB clean and press away
0L/1R x 99 lbs monster DB clean and press
25x132 lbs T-bar rows
10x88 lbs, 6x77 lbs, 6x66 lbs, 6x55 lbs, 9x44 lbs, 13x33 lbs tricep pushdowns with failure on 14
60, 40 facepulls
24 metres x 264 lbs sandbag carry

I need to rework my DB clean and press. The monster DB won't let me hold it on my shoulder the way I do with the handle. I either need to rotate my shoulder way out, which even with the handle means I can't move jack shit; or I need to figure out how to hold the monster DB like I do the handle with my elbow pointing higher. I shall consult with Mark about this on Monday.
Last edited by MarkKO on Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:21 am

MarkKO wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:41 am Ok, Friday. Actually felt better going in.

5x192 lbs
25x132 lbs T-bar rows
10x88 lbs, 6x77 lbs, 6x66 lbs, 6x55 lbs, 9x44 lbs, 13x22 lbs tricep pushdowns with failure on 14
60, 40 facepulls

I need to rework my DB clean and press. The monster DB won't let me hold it on my shoulder the way I do with the handle. I either need to rotate my shoulder way out, which even with the handle means I can't move jack shit; or I need to figure out how to hold the monster DB like I do the handle with my elbow pointing higher. I shall consult with Mark about this on Monday.
Your upper arm is too short for the form that you want with the Monster DB. It's just mechanics, you can't suddenly make your arm longer. The only way you are getting that thing on end is with a straighter arm and a higher elbow. It will not feel right, it will feel like you are cheating. No rule on minimum arm bend, if I find a video later I'll share it I know there are some Pro guys on video demonstrating what I'm talking about. You also might need more shoulder rotation, which you may or may not actually possess at the moment. So I'm going to suggest something that you will likely hate and certainly find humbling at first, and that's doing some Bent Press with a DB.
Just to add to this, and you may already know this, it's not really a DB Press. You are ideally performing a short ROM Jerk with the DB. That's what Novikov is doing, popping it slightly and dropping under fast enough to straighten his arm. If he doesn't get enough pop he turns it into a short ROM Bent Press. Hate me later.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:16 pm

Hardartery wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:21 am
MarkKO wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:41 am Ok, Friday. Actually felt better going in.

5x192 lbs
25x132 lbs T-bar rows
10x88 lbs, 6x77 lbs, 6x66 lbs, 6x55 lbs, 9x44 lbs, 13x22 lbs tricep pushdowns with failure on 14
60, 40 facepulls

Your upper arm is too short for the form that you want with the Monster DB. It's just mechanics, you can't suddenly make your arm longer. The only way you are getting that thing on end is with a straighter arm and a higher elbow. It will not feel right, it will feel like you are cheating. No rule on minimum arm bend, if I find a video later I'll share it I know there are some Pro guys on video demonstrating what I'm talking about. You also might need more shoulder rotation, which you may or may not actually possess at the moment. So I'm going to suggest something that you will likely hate and certainly find humbling at first, and that's doing some Bent Press with a DB.
Just to add to this, and you may already know this, it's not really a DB Press. You are ideally performing a short ROM Jerk with the DB. That's what Novikov is doing, popping it slightly and dropping under fast enough to straighten his arm. If he doesn't get enough pop he turns it into a short ROM Bent Press. Hate me later.
No, that's exactly what I'm going for. The only reason I have the exercise in is because it's so technical that I figured it wasn't one I could rely on being able to muscle my way out of.

I thought the issue was my arm length, which is why I figured I needed to rework things. I also don't seem to have any kind of strength in that rotated position at the moment. So the bent presses could be a godsend, if I can get stronger in that bent position it should set me up reasonably well. I work up from the handle anyway, so I might start doing that as a bent press and then as the weight goes up start pressing/jerking. I'll look up some bent pressing, I've got a reasonable idea of how to do them but I need to refresh my memory.

The other thought I had is to see if I somehow get the monster on end with the caps on, even though they add 22 lbs. That would have to be with a higher elbow and straighter arm, but if I can get into position at least I'd get an idea if pressing it would be feasible. I have my doubts simply because of my arm length though.

The last option is to just get better at starting in that rotated position. My shoulder mobility isn't horrible, so I should be able to get somewhere with that.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:49 pm

MarkKO wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:16 pm

5x192 lbs
25x132 lbs T-bar rows
60, 40 facepulls

No, that's exactly what I'm going for. The only reason I have the exercise in is because it's so technical that I figured it wasn't one I could rely on being able to muscle my way out of.

I thought the issue was my arm length, which is why I figured I needed to rework things. I also don't seem to have any kind of strength in that rotated position at the moment. So the bent presses could be a godsend, if I can get stronger in that bent position it should set me up reasonably well. I work up from the handle anyway, so I might start doing that as a bent press and then as the weight goes up start pressing/jerking. I'll look up some bent pressing, I've got a reasonable idea of how to do them but I need to refresh my memory.

The other thought I had is to see if I somehow get the monster on end with the caps on, even though they add 22 lbs. That would have to be with a higher elbow and straighter arm, but if I can get into position at least I'd get an idea if pressing it would be feasible. I have my doubts simply because of my arm length though.

The last option is to just get better at starting in that rotated position. My shoulder mobility isn't horrible, so I should be able to get somewhere with that.
Treat it like a Jerk, all the force comes through the torso from the legs. You don't really need a lot of triceps or pressing power if you can get the DB into position, it's more about pop and drop under. Ideally you want to catch it at extension with no need for any actual press, just catch and stabilise.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:09 pm

Hardartery wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:49 pm
MarkKO wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:16 pm

5x192 lbs
25x132 lbs T-bar rows
60, 40 facepulls

Treat it like a Jerk, all the force comes through the torso from the legs. You don't really need a lot of triceps or pressing power if you can get the DB into position, it's more about pop and drop under. Ideally you want to catch it at extension with no need for any actual press, just catch and stabilise.
This makes sense, but putting that into practice is going to be interesting. I'm far from uncoordinated but I'm not particularly quick.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:29 am

Monday really Mondayed today. I had to go an install a laundry which ended up taking all day and still isn't done which pissed me off. I finished later than I planned so decided to cut training short. Very short, in fact. I even skipped my warmup.

Monday bench
3x292 lbs, still no five but at least the unrack was better
5x5x209 lbs in five minutes and 48 seconds, so I get to add 2.5 per cent next time. Wrapless still.
10, 3x5 pullups
75 facepulls

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:25 am

Much better than Monday but decided to do another abridged day simply because I need to make it through this and next week. I could absolutely have done today in full, but how that would have left me for Friday is another matter.

Wednesday spider bar squat
5x468 lbs, with absolutely one more at least if I'd really wanted it. Very pleasant surprise. My head did feel like it was about to explode on rep five though
5x5x369 lbs in eight minutes and 16 seconds and to be honest I wasn't even remotely pushing the pace.
2x25 air squats done as Hatfield squats
3x25x308 lbs reverse hyper
2x40 facepulls

My left knee is still somewhat sore BUT that soreness did not increase during or after training which is positive.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:57 pm

Ok, so a few things.

First up, a return to reason and a cessation of trying to ride two horses with one backside. I'm not going to entertain the idea doing strongman and powerlifting. I'll just end up doing both badly, and I'm not that good a powerlifter that I can afford to do anything to torpedo my performance. I actually suspect that some of the flatness and lack of focus I've been struggling with were simply un-uttered concerns about this.

Second, sandbags are out. Not because they're not doing what I want (they are) but they are frying my biceps too and that's starting to be a problem because it's getting into my elbows. Between the SSB, spider bar and pulling against bands I think my weakness in the back is addressed well enough.

Third, I suspect that the knee issue I've been having is probably linked to the strongman work. I first noticed achy knees after the first time I pressed the axle and DB, and it hasn't really gone away since. Something about the leg drive seems to irritate my knees. So, nixing the strongman work should have a decent chance of eliminating the knee pain. The week off over Christmas should speed this up.

Clean and press away I'm going to keep, but as an assistance exercise because my shoulders do seem happier with overhead work being included. I'll just press strict exclusively.

Friday close grip incline bench with fat bar
5x190 lbs
4x10x145 lbs, so everything goes up by five pounds next week
10, 6, 6, 5 pullups
2x8, 1x9x134 lbs fat bar clean and press way (strict, because knees)
3x10x132 lbs T-bar rows
10x80 lbs, 8x60 lbs, 12x40 lbs, 22x20 lbs tricep pushdowns with failure on rep 23
3x35 facepulls

This was the best session I've had in a while. Funny, that.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:36 am

MarkKO wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:57 pm Ok, so a few things.

First up, a return to reason and a cessation of trying to ride two horses with one backside. I'm not going to entertain the idea doing strongman and powerlifting. I'll just end up doing both badly, and I'm not that good a powerlifter that I can afford to do anything to torpedo my performance. I actually suspect that some of the flatness and lack of focus I've been struggling with were simply un-uttered concerns about this.

Second, sandbags are out. Not because they're not doing what I want (they are) but they are frying my biceps too and that's starting to be a problem because it's getting into my elbows. Between the SSB, spider bar and pulling against bands I think my weakness in the back is addressed well enough.

Third, I suspect that the knee issue I've been having is probably linked to the strongman work. I first noticed achy knees after the first time I pressed the axle and DB, and it hasn't really gone away since. Something about the leg drive seems to irritate my knees. So, nixing the strongman work should have a decent chance of eliminating the knee pain. The week off over Christmas should speed this up.

Clean and press away I'm going to keep, but as an assistance exercise because my shoulders do seem happier with overhead work being included. I'll just press strict exclusively.

5x190 lbs
10, 6, 6, 5 pullups
3x10x132 lbs T-bar rows
10x80 lbs, 8x60 lbs, 12x40 lbs, 22x20 lbs tricep pushdowns with failure on rep 23
3x35 facepulls

Strongman is definitely harder on the system than PL. PL can beat you up in specific ways for sure, but Strongman does not limit itself to narrow confines it seeks out new and different avenues to beat you up. It is fun, and doing a contest should really just be a bit of fun for most people. No one is getting to any serious level of professional success at it without a lot of drugs and dedication. I laugh out loud whenever I see PLers talk about "Retiring" from PL and moving to Strongman, as if it will be easier on them somehow.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:24 am

Hardartery wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:36 am

5x190 lbs
10, 6, 6, 5 pullups
3x10x132 lbs T-bar rows
3x35 facepulls

Strongman is definitely harder on the system than PL. PL can beat you up in specific ways for sure, but Strongman does not limit itself to narrow confines it seeks out new and different avenues to beat you up. It is fun, and doing a contest should really just be a bit of fun for most people. No one is getting to any serious level of professional success at it without a lot of drugs and dedication. I laugh out loud whenever I see PLers talk about "Retiring" from PL and moving to Strongman, as if it will be easier on them somehow.
The beating up I could deal with I think, if it was all I did.

But I've put a fair bit of effort into PL and have a ways to go to achieve what I want. I'm not prepared to risk that to try some shiny new toy.

I'm not good at focusing on more than one or two things at once. There's so much I would need to learn and work on for strongman that PL would have to go out the window and that was never something I was going to be prepared to do.

The one thing I think I'll bring back will be sandbag to shoulder and possibly even the carries in the period after meets where I focus on building work capacity, but they'll be limited to that period.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:43 am

MarkKO wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:24 am
Hardartery wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:36 am

5x190 lbs
10, 6, 6, 5 pullups
3x10x132 lbs T-bar rows
3x35 facepulls

The beating up I could deal with I think, if it was all I did.

But I've put a fair bit of effort into PL and have a ways to go to achieve what I want. I'm not prepared to risk that to try some shiny new toy.

I'm not good at focusing on more than one or two things at once. There's so much I would need to learn and work on for strongman that PL would have to go out the window and that was never something I was going to be prepared to do.

The one thing I think I'll bring back will be sandbag to shoulder and possibly even the carries in the period after meets where I focus on building work capacity, but they'll be limited to that period.
Was the strongman work mean to supplement powerlifting training, or just a separate aim altogether?