MarkKO's training log

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

MarkKO

Re: MarkKO's training log

Post by MarkKO » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:15 pm

MailmanMuscle wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:53 pm
MarkKO wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:05 pm I am very happy to report that I'm still able to move vaguely normally. Bending down requires some care, but otherwise I'm OK and just sore. Experience dictates that a day or two at work will do wonders.
Seems like a promising update. Hope you’re back to normal sooner than later. 🤞🏾
Thanks! I should be, I've had this happen enough over the years I now have a fairly good idea of what to expect and so far everything is promising.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:19 pm

Ok, so after a day at work I'm pretty much back to normal. This is the quickest my back has resolved. Ever. Win.

Could have trained, didn't to be on the safe side and I have my mind on other things anyway.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 pm

Didn't train until today.

One round
Reverse hyper with bodyweight
Bulgarian bag high pulls
Windmills with bodyweight
Windmills with 44 lbs DB

2x0x237 lbs, 1x209 lbw, 2x1x231 lbs log clean
2x3x182 lbs log clean and press
4x6x127 lbs neutral grip military press
3x8x76 lbs Dicks press supersetted with 3x12x54 lbs upright rows
3x12x50 lbs Tate press
3x3x220 lbs stone extensions

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:08 pm

Lower back was pretty tight when I got up, and for the first time didn't loosen up at all when I got to the gym and did a bunch of buttwalks and bodyweight reverse hypers. It actually got tighter.

I took the hint and left.

The weights for South Coast Strongest also came out and they are quite a bit beyond my capacity right now. Farmers walk is 275 lbs per hand, which I've never even come close to. I know 220 lbs is fine, but an extra 55 lbs per hand in under three months is a big ask. Log for reps is 253 lbs, which I don't know if I could even clean let alone press. The final nail in the coffin is the stone to platform run, which starts at 264 lbs to five feet and goes all the way to 352 lbs to around three and a half feet.

So that's three from five events I would almost definitely zero two of, possibly three. It just doesn't seem like a smart idea.

MailmanMuscle

Post by MailmanMuscle » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:03 pm

MarkKO wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:08 pm Lower back was pretty tight when I got up, and for the first time didn't loosen up at all when I got to the gym and did a bunch of buttwalks and bodyweight reverse hypers. It actually got tighter.

The weights for South Coast Strongest also came out and they are quite a bit beyond my capacity right now. Farmers walk is 275 lbs per hand, which I've never even come close to. I know 220 lbs is fine, but an extra 55 lbs per hand in under three months is a big ask. Log for reps is 253 lbs, which I don't know if I could even clean let alone press. The final nail in the coffin is the stone to platform run, which starts at 264 lbs to five feet and goes all the way to 352 lbs to around three and a half feet.

So that's three from five events I would almost definitely zero two of, possibly three. It just doesn't seem like a smart idea.
What weight class(es) are those implements for? That strikes me as pretty heavy for middleweights and lighter, and probably still a lot for many heavyweights.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:10 pm

MarkKO wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:08 pm Lower back was pretty tight when I got up, and for the first time didn't loosen up at all when I got to the gym and did a bunch of buttwalks and bodyweight reverse hypers. It actually got tighter.

275 is a shock initially but it isn't as deadly as you fear, my second contest ever (The first of the infamous Boston shows) was 275 per hand for the HW after only 180 at the NASS Nationals a few months earlier. You can probably just jump straight to it and see how far you can get and work up to comp distance instead of slowly working up the weight. I have gone as heavy as 385 per hand in training (A session with Hugo Girard and Geoff Dolan and some other guys back in the day. It was the Pro weight for a contest we were all doing).

Log Press is what it is. Work that clean heavier than comp, use the ab shelf and not your belt to pop it up. You can gain from working heavy cleans without the press, and Incline BP will help the press.

Always carry the stones as high as you can. Do NOT pull it to waist height and try to shuffle along that way. Get it at least rolled up high on the chest if not shouldered, you don't have it in the tank to pop it up after doing a hunched over shuffle to the platform it's much easier to get it high when you pick it. The higher you can carry it, the better it will go. You don't really need to see where you're going, the distance won't be far enough to require line of sight. You'll know when you bang into the platform that you have arrived and can dump the stone.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:03 pm

MailmanMuscle wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:03 pm

What weight class(es) are those implements for? That strikes me as pretty heavy for middleweights and lighter, and probably still a lot for many heavyweights.
Those are for the under 231 lbs class. I agree, they seem heavy. It just goes to show how strong a lot of guys in that class are 🤷‍♂️

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:15 pm

Hardartery wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:10 pm

275 is a shock initially but it isn't as deadly as you fear, my second contest ever (The first of the infamous Boston shows) was 275 per hand for the HW after only 180 at the NASS Nationals a few months earlier. You can probably just jump straight to it and see how far you can get and work up to comp distance instead of slowly working up the weight. I have gone as heavy as 385 per hand in training (A session with Hugo Girard and Geoff Dolan and some other guys back in the day. It was the Pro weight for a contest we were all doing).

Log Press is what it is. Work that clean heavier than comp, use the ab shelf and not your belt to pop it up. You can gain from working heavy cleans without the press, and Incline BP will help the press.

Always carry the stones as high as you can. Do NOT pull it to waist height and try to shuffle along that way. Get it at least rolled up high on the chest if not shouldered, you don't have it in the tank to pop it up after doing a hunched over shuffle to the platform it's much easier to get it high when you pick it. The higher you can carry it, the better it will go. You don't really need to see where you're going, the distance won't be far enough to require line of sight. You'll know when you bang into the platform that you have arrived and can dump the stone.
Oh, I don't doubt I could get 275 lbs off the ground and take a few steps. I doubt 10 metres though, let alone 10 metres, drop, reset and do another 10. My grip simply isn't that good yet.

The log clean is an issue for me currently. It won't be for that much longer, but I still need to learn how to do it better. Right now I struggle with 231 lbs. I don't think I'm getting 253 lbs at all yet. In six months? Absolutely, I can see that. Pressing it might be a different matter, or it might not.

Stones are another one I can absolutely see myself having a reasonable time with at those weights in six months or so. Right now, if l I'm having a bad day 220 lbs isn't leaving the floor. Getting 264 lbs five feet off the ground? I think even on a good day that's not happening currently. I *might* be able to get it to a metre, maybe four feet if I really got everything right.

I'm not really too bummed missing the June competition. I like the events, and until I saw the weights figured it wouldn't be too bad for me at all but as soon as I saw the weights I realised it was a little too much too soon.

Don't get me wrong, the November competition will be heavy, but I'll have a good six months to prepare instead of 10-12 weeks. Plus, I'm pretty confident that I could do the yoke, truck pull and car deadlift now. The stones I'll definitely be able to do at least one or two of, and the press medley likewise, even if it's only the first implement.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:26 am

Actually made it in today. Mark gave me a free week instructing simply to train one to three times for 30 to 60 minutes.

3xbar, 10xbar, 8x132 lbs, 6x176 lbs, 4x220 lbs, 2x264 lbs, 0x308 lbs

Supersetted with five pullups after every set

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:07 am

It's week six, but probably also week one given the last two weeks. It's definitely not last week, whatever it is.

Over the last couple of days my left hip has started locking up 🤷‍♂️ it may or may not be related to whatever is going on in that area already because since my back poppy incident it feels very odd to brace or perform any kind of valsalva. Not painful, but definitely not comfortable and it makes it really difficult.

Two rounds
Back raises
Hanging leg raises

6x15 m x 198 lbs/hand farmer's walk. Pick was not comfortable with the hip, walk was OK although I was limping a bit after each run just until it unlocked
4x15 m x 440 lbs yoke walk, similar issue to the farmer's.
4x8x110 lbs chest supported T-bar rows, meant to be Pendlays but that hip thing turns out to mean I absolutely cannot exert any force in the bottom position. Even on the chest supported rows setting up made it lock up so I had to do them with the left foot off the footplate
4x10x308 lbs shrugs
4x5 pullups

This hip thing is weird.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:25 am

Ok, another week where I trained once. I've been sitting on this for a while because I'm superstitious and now I feel like explaining even though I wonder why anyone would be interested in my ramblings. You keep coming back though, so obviously there's something and I shall oblige with pleasure.

About a month ago we started the process of buying our first home. We've been saving for probably around five years now, and I don't know what the property market is like Stateside but here is it a clusterfuck. Well, not for sellers. Hoo boy are they having a good time.

Anyway, I figured we'd see where we're at at to me surprise the bank said, no worries, we know you can pay a bigger mortgage you just don't have a big deposit but it might be enough, so let's have a crack.

We got preapproved, found an apartment that fits what we need (we want a house, but baby steps, they are EXPENSIVE unless you live out in whoop-whoop); made an offer, which was accepted and I've been mentally totally consumed with sorting out final approval for the last three weeks. My wife has a legitimately super stressful job (child protection) so I figured I have a decent tolerance for stress so I'd run this one. Turns out I do have a decent tolerance for stress but real problems focusing on more than three things. So it was work, training and family; or work, family and buying a home. Not being insane I picked the adult one.

Anyway, yesterday we got unconditional approval and exchanged contracts so we're locked in. I'm over the moon, this has been something we've worked for for a really long time and made the necessary sacrifices and it feels amazing to achieve it. Cherry on top is we didn't have to get close to our maximum loan and saved 60K.

We haven't got keys yet, but we have paid the deposit and signed so it now it is down the our solicitor to talk to our bank and arrange full payment.

This is training related, ultimately, I promise.

Anyway, as soon as we get keys I'll have carpet to pull up, floors to prepare and apply vinyl as well as paint walls not to mention move. I'm really excited to do this.

So without any rancour at all I'm probably only going to be training once or twice a week for around half an hour at most.

So that's my story, I'll be here but without much work.

Typically as happens with me when I go through a stressful period (Like this, or a peak, or a ton of pressure at work), as soon as the main stress is alleviated (securing the home to all extents and purposes) I get sick. This one is a doozy. I think I started getting cellulitis in my left knee on Wednesday because I spent Monday and Tuesday laying kicks while wearing knee pads all day. Milwaukee make good knee pads and my knees don't get beat up thanks to them but it seems like four to five our stretches in them is great incubation for bacteria. Anyway. Yesterday I start getting a sore throat, figured it's just a cold and wake up in the middle of the night shivering, knee swollen and with a blinding headache. Some topical and oral antibiotics, sleeping tablets and Paracetamol later I manage some kind of sleep and head to work. Didn't feel amazing, but the antibiotics seemed to be immediately helping the knee. Hit a wall at lunch and by the time I got home I was shaking. Turns out I'm running a fever of 103 F.

Don't care, I'm in far too good a mood with the apartment and the install I'm currently on which I built a lot of and so far is going right to plan.

Also, I babble when I'm feverish. My wife pointed this out earlier.

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:39 am

Big congratulations, @MarkKO! Your excitement and decisions around this are entirely justified. Happy for you.

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:30 am

Congrats!

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:48 am

Congratulations, it's great when the work and saving pay off

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:00 am

Thanks all. Appreciate it.

Made it to the gym today, and of course I already planned a kind of holding pattern that I should be able to keep going with for a fair while.

Dumbbell flys supersetted with pull aparts
10×22 lbs/15
10×33 lbs/15
10×44 lbs/15
3×10×55 lbs/3×15

Bench supersetted with pullups
10×bar/5
8×132 lbs/5
6×176 lbs/5
4×220 lbs/5
1×264 lbs/5, meant to hit a double but missed the second
9, 2, 2×176 lbs/5 which was a rest/pause set. I'll shoot for 20 unbroken and then add 10 lbs

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:43 am

DB lateral raise supersetted with chest supported DB flys
10×22 lbs/10×22 lbs
10×27 lbs/10×27 lbs
3×10×33 lbs/3×10×33 lbs

Incline bench supersetted with bent over DB rows
10×bar/10×44 lbs
8×132 lbs/8×66 lbs
6×176 lbs/8×88 lbs
4×198 lbs/8×88 lbs
1×220 lbs/8×88 lbs, another meant to hit a double and missed the second
8, 3, 4×132 lbs/8×88 lbs same as the other day, I'll shoot for 20 unbroken and then add 10 pounds.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:39 pm

Had time to do a third day. I sort of planned for this.

Seated leg extensions supersetted with seated hamstring curls
10×88 lbs/10×88 lbs
10×110 lbs/10×110 lbs
10×132 lbs/10×132 lbs
3×10×154 lbs/3×10×154 lbs

SSB squat
10×bar
8×149 lbs
6×237 lbs
4×325 lbs
2×413 lbs, which actually felt pretty good. Easier than I expected.
8, 3, 3×325 lbs again same deal where I'll shoot for 20 unbroken and then add 10 pounds.

First time squatting since late last year. Don't think I've squatted that wasn't zercher or to a box since November or December last year. Ankle held up fine, a little tight initially but it opened up quickly. The whole weird back thing only was really noticeable when I unracked. I'm not complaining.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:09 pm

Yo! Congrats on the house! And the return to squats.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:01 am

Renascent wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:09 pm Yo! Congrats on the house! And the return to squats.
Thanks man! I missed squats. And bench. And pullups.

I enjoyed training this week more than I have in a few months.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:50 pm

First weighted vest walk in a while. Single lap, came in with a reasonable time and heart rates.