Which flat bench? Rep FB-3000 or Rogue?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

laikabear

Which flat bench? Rep FB-3000 or Rogue?

Post by laikabear » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:53 pm

I'm looking at replacing my current flat bench. I currently have this one by Adidas. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GI ... UTF8&psc=1 It was $80 when I bought it.

The bench has been perfectly fine for my use, except it is about 1" too short (too close to the ground).

I have the Titan T-3 rack and the Adidas bench is 16.5" from the floor. The westside spacing on the safeties starts literally ONE hole too high for me to use the bench as is. I had 2 pieces of leftover butcher block countertop in the garage and I've been putting the bench on that to elevate it enough to set the safeties appropriately. It works but it's annoying.

I'd rather have a solution where I can have the bench flat on the ground and not sitting on the butcher block. It's just janky. I'm looking at replacing it with a taller bench. I was looking at the Rep FB-3000 which is 17.5" tall and I am hoping to be able to order one if they restock.

However I was also mulling over Rogue, which has 2 flat benches, both 18" tall, as they are available to order without the need to do any website-stalking, albeit with delayed shipping. The Rogue has a one piece flat bench which looks nice, and a bolt-together flat bench that is $20 more. Why is the bolt-together one more expensive? It seems like the one piece bench would be more desirable. Although I can't see the shipping price for the Rep bench, it looks like the Rogue benches are about twice as expensive, and I'm not sure that my needs justify spending more.

Thoughts? I'm willing to entertain additional options or smart ideas regarding the bench I already own.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re: Which flat bench? Rep FB-3000 or Rogue?

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:21 pm

I've had the Rep FB-3000 for very nearly 4 years now.
The pad has held up very well.
There is a very slight depression at either end (i rotate it session by session) but it's not something i even notice.
*I actually just looked, and it's basically miniscule.
Pretty good for regular use 3 times a week.
They do sell replacement pads, but i'm not close to needing one.

Mine sits level on all four feet, but i've seen at least one comment about someone who got one that didn't
Not enough that it leads me to think it's super common.

They didn't have the FB-5000 when i ordered mine, but it isn't a lot more than the 3000.
$149, but it's out of stock.
*Just looked and the 3000 is out of stock too.

The feet on mine are never in my way, but the 5000 does have the tri leg design.
Come to think of it, i honestly can't remember if the not level comment was about a 3000 or a 5000.

I'm sure Rogue would be a great choice too.

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:17 pm

Yeah there are not any in stock, it's a wait and keep checking situation. I think if you like the Rep bench then I will patiently try to get one of those. I saw a few reviews on a (now defunct) Amazon listing for that one that said the same thing - it was off-kilter. But most reviews were positive.

Then again, some of those people may just have uneven flooring and the bench is making them notice.

gtl

Post by gtl » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:49 am

Had a Rogue flat bench, sold it to buy the Rep FB 5000
Found another Rogue flat bench for $50 this summer
Bought it, sold it

I like the Rep bench. Quality isn't as good as Rogue IMO, but the pad is better, the wheels are nice, etc. My feet are not perfectly flat. Not terrible, but I can tell a difference.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:36 am

@laikabear, not that you asked, but the Rep adjustable benches are nice also. The 5000 series are as sturdy as a flat bench and provide lots of options. They can be heavy to move around.

FredM

Post by FredM » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:31 am

I love rogue. But I wouldn’t trade my Rep FB 5000 for literally any rogue bench. It’s the best value in my home gym by a mile. The only way I could imagine a more perfect bench is if I weighed another 10-20 lbs so it was a little harder to move on my slick wooden platform— which it does a little sometimes during my setup now that I weigh less. But it’s still a tank.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:51 am

FredM wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:31 am I love rogue. But I wouldn’t trade my Rep FB 5000 for literally any rogue bench. It’s the best value in my home gym by a mile. The only way I could imagine a more perfect bench is if I weighed another 10-20 lbs so it was a little harder to move on my slick wooden platform— which it does a little sometimes during my setup now that I weigh less. But it’s still a tank.
Do you have the older (rectangular metal front foot) or newer version (square rubber front foot) of the FB-5000? I have the old style and glued some rolled rubber flooring pieces on the feet. Really helped with the sliding. I don't know if the new version is better or not.

FredM

Post by FredM » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:51 am

murphyreedus wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:51 am
FredM wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:31 am I love rogue. But I wouldn’t trade my Rep FB 5000 for literally any rogue bench. It’s the best value in my home gym by a mile. The only way I could imagine a more perfect bench is if I weighed another 10-20 lbs so it was a little harder to move on my slick wooden platform— which it does a little sometimes during my setup now that I weigh less. But it’s still a tank.
Do you have the older (rectangular metal front foot) or newer version (square rubber front foot) of the FB-5000? I have the old style and glued some rolled rubber flooring pieces on the feet. Really helped with the sliding. I don't know if the new version is better or not.
Newer one. It's mostly a non issue. I've adjusted to setting it up so my head is as far up as possible so I don't need to adjust it until set 5 or later. It probably moves a cm or 2 during setup. If I competed or was strong enough to care about strength I might try to find a solution - which would probably be just adjusting my bench setup so I get my arch/tightness by pushing my feet against the bench instead of the floor.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:18 am

I have the Rogue Flat Utility Bench, mostly because I could actually order one. I haven't used the Rep one but I don't think the Rogue one offers anything special that would justify paying 2x as much. Shipping on my Rogue one was pretty cheap (they sent UPS Ground) so might be worth making sure Rep will send via something comparable instead of just via freight which would wipe out any savings.

For $60 more more I'd probably get the FB-5000 if both were in stock just because I think wheels and a handle are nice to have when moving stuff around but it's hardly a dealbreaker either way.

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:50 am

Thanks for all the replies, guys!
mgil wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:36 am @laikabear, not that you asked, but the Rep adjustable benches are nice also. The 5000 series are as sturdy as a flat bench and provide lots of options. They can be heavy to move around.
I haven't gotten to the point yet where I want to do any exercises that require an adjustable bench. I'm pretty basic. :)
brkriete wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:18 am I have the Rogue Flat Utility Bench, mostly because I could actually order one. I haven't used the Rep one but I don't think the Rogue one offers anything special that would justify paying 2x as much. Shipping on my Rogue one was pretty cheap (they sent UPS Ground) so might be worth making sure Rep will send via something comparable instead of just via freight which would wipe out any savings.

For $60 more more I'd probably get the FB-5000 if both were in stock just because I think wheels and a handle are nice to have when moving stuff around but it's hardly a dealbreaker either
I'm curious what the shipping cost is from Rep, but I can't add the bench to my cart to find out since it's not in stock. The reason I didn't look at the 5000 series is that they are 1/2" shorter than the 3000. I think I need a bench a full 1" taller than the one I have to be in the range I need for the safeties on my rack.

SquatsALot

Post by SquatsALot » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:01 pm

Another option, assuming you don't already have them, is to get straps as your safeties. They can hang down quite a bit from the hole that they are slotted into. Might be easier to find straps right now than it is to find the bench you want.

PuddingFace

Post by PuddingFace » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:35 pm

I would consider adding an extra set of holes if you have a drill. A small bit & step bit to enlarge the hole to 11/16” Are cheap and the process would be easier than you may think.

I see titan offers some different hook options, does the length difference between any of the hooks drop the bar low enough for you Bench comfortably?

I have the Rep FB-3000. No issues at all, though it does rock slightly on my floor. I think its a floor issue more than a bench issue - a single thickness of cardboard to shim one corner fixes it, which is simple enough. Actually now that i think about it, its probably a credit to the bench if it rocks - concrete floors aren’t dead flat, so if the bench rocks it means the bench’s feet are on plane and the bench doesn’t deflect.

laikabear

Post by laikabear » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:34 pm

SquatsALot wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:01 pm Another option, assuming you don't already have them, is to get straps as your safeties. They can hang down quite a bit from the hole that they are slotted into. Might be easier to find straps right now than it is to find the bench you want.
That is true about the strap safeties. I have pin and pipe safeties and have never used anything else. For whatever reason, just looking at straps makes me feel un-confident. I am sure that they may even be stronger than pin and pipe, but they LOOK dangerous to me. I like looking and knowing exactly (rigidly) where the safeties will stop the bar, and the U-shape of straps seems ambiguous. I'm sure that is just my brain being biased.
PuddingFace wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:35 pm I would consider adding an extra set of holes if you have a drill. A small bit & step bit to enlarge the hole to 11/16” Are cheap and the process would be easier than you may think.

I see titan offers some different hook options, does the length difference between any of the hooks drop the bar low enough for you Bench comfortably?

I have the Rep FB-3000. No issues at all, though it does rock slightly on my floor. I think its a floor issue more than a bench issue - a single thickness of cardboard to shim one corner fixes it, which is simple enough. Actually now that i think about it, its probably a credit to the bench if it rocks - concrete floors aren’t dead flat, so if the bench rocks it means the bench’s feet are on plane and the bench doesn’t deflect.
I did think about adding another set of holes, but that seemed scary. I have a regular cordless drill, but I've never drilled through metal before. But that might actually be the best idea. Hmmmmmmm. So if I got https://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quart ... 44460.htmlthis drill bit, I could drill through the rack?

The different hooks would not make a difference because the hooks are fine, the safeties are what need to go one notch lower. If I leave them as is, I hit them at the bottom of my bench ROM.

Edit: I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGbMQul6_Bc and decided to buy this drill bithttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038 ... ICIL&psc=1. It will arrive after the Rep bench is set to restock, so if I fail on the hole-drilling, I probably will have to wait a while to get another chance at the bench restock. Fingers crossed I can drill 8 holes. The $18.50 drill bit is definitely cheaper than a new bench.

gtl

Post by gtl » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:58 am

laikabear wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:50 am I'm curious what the shipping cost is from Rep, but I can't add the bench to my cart to find out since it's not in stock. The reason I didn't look at the 5000 series is that they are 1/2" shorter than the 3000. I think I need a bench a full 1" taller than the one I have to be in the range I need for the safeties on my rack.
IIRC, shipping was ~$30 from CO>IN.

PuddingFace

Post by PuddingFace » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:26 am

laikabear wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:34 pm
SquatsALot wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:01 pm Another option, assuming you don't already have them, is to get straps as your safeties. They can hang down quite a bit from the hole that they are slotted into. Might be easier to find straps right now than it is to find the bench you want.
That is true about the strap safeties. I have pin and pipe safeties and have never used anything else. For whatever reason, just looking at straps makes me feel un-confident. I am sure that they may even be stronger than pin and pipe, but they LOOK dangerous to me. I like looking and knowing exactly (rigidly) where the safeties will stop the bar, and the U-shape of straps seems ambiguous. I'm sure that is just my brain being biased.
PuddingFace wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:35 pm I would consider adding an extra set of holes if you have a drill. A small bit & step bit to enlarge the hole to 11/16” Are cheap and the process would be easier than you may think.

I did think about adding another set of holes, but that seemed scary. I have a regular cordless drill, but I've never drilled through metal before. But that might actually be the best idea. Hmmmmmmm. So if I got https://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quart ... 44460.htmlthis drill bit, I could drill through the rack?

The different hooks would not make a difference because the hooks are fine, the safeties are what need to go one notch lower. If I leave them as is, I hit them at the bottom of my bench ROM.

Edit: I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGbMQul6_Bc and decided to buy this drill bithttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038 ... ICIL&psc=1. It will arrive after the Rep bench is set to restock, so if I fail on the hole-drilling, I probably will have to wait a while to get another chance at the bench restock. Fingers crossed I can drill 8 holes. The $18.50 drill bit is definitely cheaper than a new bench.
I would also get one of these to mark your hole positions to startIng the drilling easier. It will leave a small dimple to help keep the drill bit on target.

https://www.harborfreight.com/spring-lo ... h-621.html

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:13 am

Second the centerpunch.

SquatsALot

Post by SquatsALot » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:25 am

laikabear wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:34 pm
Dude, they are TOUGH. Zero concern - there is no way they're gong to give (at least my Rogue ones). They're probably stronger than the pin and pipe.

That being said - do I love them? Not sure. They're not rough on my bars, so that's nice.

Barry

Post by Barry » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:09 pm

I'm planning on ordering the Rep Fitness FB-5000 when it comes in. Looks like a fantastic bench for the price. The wide front foot on my current bench is always in the way of my feet when I'm trying to setup and I can probably get $100 for my old bench. So $50 plus shipping isn't bad. I think they are scheduled to come in soon.

As far as strap safeties go, I'm with you. It's my first time using them and not sure I *love* them. After training with solid safeties for 5 or 6 years they take some getting used to. What I DO like about them, is if the bar barely nudges the strap, it doesn't really screw up your rep like a dead stop bump on hard safeties.

dw

Post by dw » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:12 pm

Are you able to adjust the tightness of strap safeties to get them to hang lower or higher from a given hole?

My rack is very sturdy but unfortunately has holes spaced out much too far apart. I can't remember the exact distance, maybe as much as 6 inches from center to center. I have to prop up my bench with plates and I will have to come up with some other fix if I ever pin squat.

This thread has me wondering if straps might be a universal solution.

SquatsALot

Post by SquatsALot » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:32 pm

No, but you can put one side in a higher notch than the other side, and it doesn't really matter much. The positions I have marked on my rack that 'work' for me aren't even the same height on each side, mostly b/c when I originally got them, I found a setting that worked, and never bothered to take the 5 mins to tinker with it. For squat, I have them within the top 2-3 notches in my westside spacing area, and on bench, I have the front side of the rack 6 notches down, and the other end about 10 notches into the westside spacing.

But man, 6 inches apart? Might not be a great option except for the one that you probably don't want to do (new rack)