Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

zappey1

Re: steroids in sports

Post by zappey1 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:16 pm

mbasic wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:33 pm
zappey1 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:15 am
mbasic wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:50 am
I'd be "worried" about a B-list action-hero-actor like Starlord character from Parks&Recreation in the first Guardians movie. Not that he was impressive either, but maybe the wholesale physique change "all of the sudden"....when that wasn't their gig before. Or like the one dude in Sniper or whatever.
I'll take Who is Zac Efron for 500 :lol:
He's not incredibly jacked tho....but yeah, getting warmer
Come one who are you going to give the benefit of the doubt to next Mike O'hearn? Simeon Panda? :lol:

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:33 am

mbasic wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:29 am
(this is recent, below)

I'm not saying he doesn't prep with supersupplements for a movie, but there's nothing here that would indicate juicing in this video. Look at his side delts, if that guy's on the sterons, he never, ever, in his lifetime did a single deltraise/overhead press in his life.

:lol:

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:52 am

mettkeks wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:33 am
(this is recent, below)

I'm not saying he doesn't prep with supersupplements for a movie, but there's nothing here that would indicate juicing in this video. Look at his side delts, if that guy's on the sterons, he never, ever, in his lifetime did a single deltraise/overhead press in his life.

This is an old article but relevant to the topic:
https://moreplatesmoredates.com/chris-h ... -for-thor/
Seems he gained 20-25 lb of muscle in 6months or so. That seems sus to me

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:46 am

zappey1 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:52 am
mettkeks wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:33 am
(this is recent, below)

This is an old article but relevant to the topic:
https://moreplatesmoredates.com/chris-h ... -for-thor/
Seems he gained 20-25 lb of muscle in 6months or so. That seems sus to me
I'm not defending hemmies natty status, but, man, that article is bad. And makes a lot of assumptions. And he still doesn't look supernatural in those pictures. He does look like one of those guys who get rich and famous because they selected the right parents though.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:53 am

Even at his biggest, he isn't that big. Definitely obtainable without supplements. That said, it would be very plausible that he took them. There are real economic incentives for him to do so and no urine testing on the set.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:57 am

JohnHelton wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:53 am Even at his biggest, he isn't that big. Definitely obtainable without supplements. That said, it would be very plausible that he took them. There are real economic incentives for him to do so and no urine testing on the set.
It is but in that time frame? Your talking about scrawny to decently big in not that long of time with very little body fat. Seems like a quick turn around.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:10 am

zappey1 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:57 am
JohnHelton wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:53 am Even at his biggest, he isn't that big. Definitely obtainable without supplements. That said, it would be very plausible that he took them. There are real economic incentives for him to do so and no urine testing on the set.
It is but in that time frame? Your talking about scrawny to decently big in not that long of time with very little body fat. Seems like a quick turn around.
Agreed.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:16 am

yeah, the article is kinda weird ..... but the yo-yoing weight wise does seems suspect.
I'm not shocked if he regularly goes on and off the juice.
But even I can see, if he was totally untrained (serious training + diet) in his first movies there .... he's got good genetics.
It's not surprising that he could put on a lot (relatively) muscle in 9 months.

But I'll stand by what I said with regards to what started this whole this: the tire-flip shot, and he recent "packing on muscle" for Thor 4.....
....he' not really that huge or anything. Regular videos shot with cell phones (not 'fimlmaking') with him doing regular things, he looks like he's got some swolen biceps and a little bit of muscle.

-------------------

(an aside) This whole thing has come up time and time again, esp. over at egypt IIRC.

Seems like a lot of "lifters" will accuse a (relatively "weak") gym bro with a nice looking physique of doing teh roids when they "aren't obviously doing the work" (IOW: no heavy weights, no squats, NDTFP, no fahives, etc)

OR,

a guy would post: "Why do I have decent numbers (450/295/550) but still look like dad-bod".

I always wondered if your body can only metabolize or manufacture so much total muscle at a given time, no matter where its going.
And that being that most gym bros really don't do leg training (some, like, at all!) has something to do with it.
Like, all of the muscle protein synthesis is being thrown at the biceps, delts, pecs, and back ..... and that has quite a positive effect when no resources are being 'wasted' on the lower body, where there is (or, could be) considerable muscle mass.....
....but there's not because we are talking gym-bro.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:40 am

mbasic wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:16 am

I always wondered if your body can only metabolize or manufacture so much total muscle at a given time, no matter where its going.
And that being that most gym bros really don't do leg training (some, like, at all!) has something to do with it.
Like, all of the muscle protein synthesis is being thrown at the biceps, delts, pecs, and back ..... and that has quite a positive effect when no resources are being 'wasted' on the lower body, where there is (or, could be) considerable muscle mass.....
Here is some n=1 data from me. When I have injuries/ tweaks that prevent me from going hard on my Squats DL's (like now) my bench and press always go up. Same is true the other way. 2 summers ago I hurt my shoulder attempting to jump a creek on a trail and could barley bench or press for months and I hit some Pr's on my squats and DLs

Hemsworth is a stud with good genetics for sure but so is/was Arnold. I just see him having everything to gain from hoping on the juice train and very little to lose. With out adding some of that man meat he would have stayed a low tier star instead now he is pretty close at the top.

We can never know for sure unless we are talking about Mike O'hearn :lol:

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:30 am

mbasic wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:16 am yeah, the article is kinda weird ..... but the yo-yoing weight wise does seems suspect.
I'm not shocked if he regularly goes on and off the juice.
But even I can see, if he was totally untrained (serious training + diet) in his first movies there .... he's got good genetics.
It's not surprising that he could put on a lot (relatively) muscle in 9 months.

But I'll stand by what I said with regards to what started this whole this: the tire-flip shot, and he recent "packing on muscle" for Thor 4.....
....he' not really that huge or anything. Regular videos shot with cell phones (not 'fimlmaking') with him doing regular things, he looks like he's got some swolen biceps and a little bit of muscle.

-------------------

(an aside) This whole thing has come up time and time again, esp. over at egypt IIRC.

Seems like a lot of "lifters" will accuse a (relatively "weak") gym bro with a nice looking physique of doing teh roids when they "aren't obviously doing the work" (IOW: no heavy weights, no squats, NDTFP, no fahives, etc)

OR,

a guy would post: "Why do I have decent numbers (450/295/550) but still look like dad-bod".

Lean-ness gives the illusion of size, so do favourable muscle-insetions and musclebelly-shapes. If you have all three, you may look 20lb heavier than you are. Skinny legs will make your upper body look bigger too. Its an illusion.

Google a picture of jeff nippard. He looks insane.
Then google a picture of jeff nippard sitting next to john meadows who is way past his prime and only 1" taller than nippard. Nippard looks like a small child next to meadows.

And to your point of the strenth training dad-bods: Half the time you math out the bodycomposition numbers of guy's with really high bmi's, they've supposedly got more lean mass than what pro natural bbers in their off-season at the same height weigh at 15%.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:33 am

I was looking at a video on Mark Henry the other day drugs or not that dude was strong AF. Makes me wonder how great he could have been if he did more strongman instead of going with wrestling! I guess finically wrestling made the most sense.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:55 am

All this chit chat about TV dough boys becoming Hollywood hulkamaniacs and you're all completely overlooking Mac...

Dude was seriously on the juice...

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:41 am

oh shit, where to ..... I .... post this
POTUS thread?
steroids thread?
shitposting?
cheaters in Olympics?
etc.
Passed by the US Senate last month, President Donald Trump has today signed the contentious legislation into law.

Named after Russian whistleblower Grigory Rodchenkov, it gives prosecutors the ability to seek fines of up to $1 million (£745,000/€825,000) and prison sentences of up to 10 years for doping conspirators at events involving US athletes, broadcasters and sponsors.
https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles ... rodchenkov

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:03 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:41 am oh shit, where to ..... I .... post this
POTUS thread?
steroids thread?
shitposting?
cheaters in Olympics?
etc.
Passed by the US Senate last month, President Donald Trump has today signed the contentious legislation into law.

Named after Russian whistleblower Grigory Rodchenkov, it gives prosecutors the ability to seek fines of up to $1 million (£745,000/€825,000) and prison sentences of up to 10 years for doping conspirators at events involving US athletes, broadcasters and sponsors.
https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles ... rodchenkov
Some mixed feelings for sure. This feels like the 90's when we were spending tons of money tracking down MLB Steroids users. But this law won't include athletes in the US? Seems like a very specific group (international) that the bill is going after. Also 1 million doesn't seem like that much of a fine to me. Especially when they will most likely be using 10+ million to track down these plots.

Also you think everyone involved would have some bigger fish to fry (COVID relief plan).

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:39 pm

Weightlifting, The Sport, has been reduced to 10 total weight classes for both sexes in Paris.
5 and 5.
12 athletes per event (class).
This is beginning of the end.

...and that is if even WL is still an Olympic sport in 4 years.

But hey, theres Breakdancing, Skateboarding, Sport Climbing, and ...

https://www.olympic.org/news/gender-equ ... -programme

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:22 pm

mbasic wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:16 am(an aside) This whole thing has come up time and time again, esp. over at egypt IIRC. [...]
Because their diet is shit, and they won't even go for a walk for fear of losing 5lbs off their squat.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:50 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:39 pm Weightlifting, The Sport, has been reduced to 10 total weight classes for both sexes in Paris.
5 and 5.
12 athletes per event (class).
This is beginning of the end.

...and that is if even WL is still an Olympic sport in 4 years.

But hey, theres Breakdancing, Skateboarding, Sport Climbing, and ...

https://www.olympic.org/news/gender-equ ... -programme
Well I guess they are trying to appeal to a new audience they think will watch. I don't think people that care about gender quotas care much about the Olympics but what do I know? I guess we will see if Get Woke Go Broke is true for the Olympics as it has been for most other things.

Did they drop wrestling?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:36 am

zappey1 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:50 am Did they drop wrestling?
don't think so

its kinda gay, so going with what i posted earlier that figures /s

----------------

but seriously, i still don't think we have women's freestyle or roman greco .... so having all those men-events would be like max-misogyny

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:56 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:36 am
zappey1 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:50 am Did they drop wrestling?
don't think so

its kinda gay, so going with what i posted earlier that figures /s

----------------

but seriously, i still don't think we have women's freestyle or roman greco .... so having all those men-events would be like max-misogyny
I see more and more female wrestlers but I don't think it will reach 50/50 any time soon. I know they were talking about dropping it last Olympics and it barley got saved.

eyezm

Post by eyezm » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:33 pm

zappey1 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:01 pm
Wilhelm wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:59 pm
zappey1 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:52 pm I forget the name of it. But it talked about spy level shit the soviets would use to beat the drug tests for the Olympics.
Icarus?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6333060/
It's still on Netflix

There was a German TV doc on the same topic that preceeded it.
I think it's mentioned in Icarus.
I believe that is the one. That movie is eye opening :shock:
Call me cynical, but I'm under the impression that pretty much all professional athletes are sippin' on the Capri Sun, and just finding new ways to not get caught...