Hardartery - Recreational Outrage

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Hardartery

Re: Hardartery -Recreational Outrage

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:47 pm

MarkKO wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:30 pm You've probably thought of this but if it's just quad work what about sissy squats? They don't need a ton of load to hit your quads hard.
I have been thinking about those as well, I get exercise ADD sometimes and substitute stuff for a while. I was surprised to manage these without dinging myself in the plums and actually getting a quad pump. I may well do the Sissy Squats as well next time.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:28 pm

That's a ding that's never missed

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:43 am

I did Jefferson DLs for a minute last my back was fucked up. For whatever reasons I found them unsatisfying, just not an enjoyable movement. Plus the plums issue.

That’s not why I’m here, though.

Steinborn squats, man. Let’s fucking go.

(I mean… you go. I’m not doing them lol.)

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:39 am

MarkKO wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:30 pm You've probably thought of this but if it's just quad work what about sissy squats? They don't need a ton of load to hit your quads hard.
Seconded.

Thought it was my imagination at first, but my work pants are starting to fit all tight and vulgar again, despite an overall reduction in sessions. Might be because of the leg extensions too, but sissy squats give you a lot of bang for your buck, and you don't even need equipment.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:38 pm

Tuesday 8/9/22
Spent most of the day trying to plan and book my upcoming itinerary. I think we are finally going to see some of France at the beginning of October, I had the whole damn trip planned and booked right before Covid and it all got cancelled for me. This attempt will be a little more abbreviated than the original plan, so maybe it will actually happen. I hope.

Muscle Snatch
bar x 3
135 x 3

Muscle Snatch and Press Away
135 x 3
175 x 5 x 6 sets
Got a one hour interruption between the first work set and the second. Good thin this is really low % work right now, I was no longer warmed up by set 2.

Muscle Snatch + BTN Press Away
135 x 5

Cut it there, it's late. I'll do some of it tomorrow plus something else. If I can get the rest of this trip set, my sister is supposed to become a grandma in September so I need to squeeze in a long layover up there to visit and witness the glory that symbolizes our aquired age.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:42 pm

France is nice, or the parts I've been to at any rate. Italian food is better though.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:21 am

MarkKO wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:42 pm France is nice, or the parts I've been to at any rate. Italian food is better though.
Spent yesterday cancelling half of what I did and rebooking stuff cuz, wife. Anyway, we are landing in Paris now, unfortunately at de Gaulle and not Orly. Mpw I have to figure out lodging and how many days we actually stay in Paris. The plan is to spend at least part of the trip driving around seeing stuff, probably to the Southeast of Paris. Maybe head towards Lyon and see what happens. Flights are cheap enough, I think it was just over $500 USD each round trip which seems ridiculous. It almost became Milan instead, because we haven't seen Northern Italy and the flights weren't working out like I needed. I am looking forward to the food in France. A lot. The food from Firenze to Rome was hit and miss, honestly. I had a crap meal at a place in the Michelin guide, and some good food at nowhere special. The best bits were the cafes, eating baked goods and drinking espresso. I lived eating like a dick and losing weight.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:51 am

Hardartery wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:21 am
MarkKO wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:42 pm France is nice, or the parts I've been to at any rate. Italian food is better though.
Spent yesterday cancelling half of what I did and rebooking stuff cuz, wife. Anyway, we are landing in Paris now, unfortunately at de Gaulle and not Orly. Mpw I have to figure out lodging and how many days we actually stay in Paris. The plan is to spend at least part of the trip driving around seeing stuff, probably to the Southeast of Paris. Maybe head towards Lyon and see what happens. Flights are cheap enough, I think it was just over $500 USD each round trip which seems ridiculous. It almost became Milan instead, because we haven't seen Northern Italy and the flights weren't working out like I needed. I am looking forward to the food in France. A lot. The food from Firenze to Rome was hit and miss, honestly. I had a crap meal at a place in the Michelin guide, and some good food at nowhere special. The best bits were the cafes, eating baked goods and drinking espresso. I lived eating like a dick and losing weight.
Have fun!

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:55 am

Renascent wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:51 am
Have fun!
I hope to, this year is my 30th anniversary, so I'm kinda trying to cover a few bases with the trip. My French sucks, but maybe if I work on that a little it would help. The trick will be to learn Parisian French and not remember all of my Canadian French.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:12 pm

That's crazy cheap. We're going to Fiji over the Christmas break for five days and the flights cost as basically as much as the accommodation.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:26 pm

MarkKO wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:12 pm
That's crazy cheap. We're going to Fiji over the Christmas break for five days and the flights cost as basically as much as the accommodation.
We have not been to Fiji yet either. I'm waiting, I like to get surprised by a deal. We went to New Zealand on a deal, it wasn't on my bucket list or anything Qantas just offered a round trip for $200 USD each, so we went. It was awesome. Rented a car and drove around the North island for 10 days. Italy was just a diversion on the way back from visiting friends in Israel, they upgraded my rental to a brand new Alfa Romeo Giulietta with a 6 speed so we drove through Tuscany in that after a week in Florence. It was fantastic until I got to Rome, that place sucks. Italy was cheaty though, Spanish and Italian are really similar so I could understand them and they could understand me. France is going to be a little different, but I'm hoping it' s a lot of fun. Accomodations might be a little pricey, but I'm going to poke around a little and see what I can dig up.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:00 pm

Thursday 8/11/22
DL - Conventional - from 4" blocks
225 x 3 - DOH
315 x 3
405 x 3
495 x 3
585 x 4 - straps
605 x 4
495 x 4
I was seriously considering going for more, even though this was already a backoff set more than the plan. It felt so easy, at least 1 rep in the tank every set, they all felt like at least 2 RIR but I'm trying to stick with the program and the top set was already a 20 lb jump. It was a good call, I started to feel the fatigue right after I stripped the bar. It may have been adrenaline wearing off, but I suddenly felt it everywhere.

Seated DB Shoulder Press - on the floor so the legs are out of the lift like a Larsen Press
50 x 5 x 2 sets
Lack of posterior rotation in the left shoulder bites me on these, I can't really lean forward becasue I can't rotate the shoulder far enough to get the hand position back to where it should be so I am also using a lot of abs at the end of the set to keep from going backwards.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:50 pm

Saturday 8/13/22
DB Floor Press
50 x 15 x 3 sets

Flyes - on the floor
50 x 15 x 3 sets

Side Raises
50 x 14 x 3 sets

Front Raises
50 x 12 x 3 sets

Yee haw.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:29 pm

Monday 8/15/22
Sumo DL
225 x 5 - DOH
315 x 3
405 x 3
495 x 4 - straps

RDL - 6" deficit
315 x 7 x 3 sets
Jumped up the weight. A lot. I could have gutted out 10 reps, but frankly don't want to push myself that hard on these, the objective is not to burn my CNS to the ground so I stopped at 7 reps where the urge to puke was still mild.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:48 pm

Tuesday 8/16/22
JM Press - EZ Curl Bar
105 x 10 x 3 sets

Curls - EZ Curl Bar
105 x 10 x 3 sets

Pullovers -DB
50 x 12 x 3 sets

Cross Body Extensions - KB
35 x 10, 5, 2
Arm to arm back and forth, weak arm first, positive fail on left (Weak) arm and matching with the right.

I have the replacement pulling blocks almost ready to go get welded. I cannot get a plate the size that I need for the top, I had the choice of an entire sheet (Which I was told is 6m long) or a bunch of precut pieces that will have to be stitched together. I went with the pieces, but miscalculated and didn't buy enough. So, i go back and buy a few more tomorrow I guess. New blocks are going to be 3 1/4" high instead of 4", so a little lower than bar height for Static Monsters but that's okay.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:34 pm

8/49/22
Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison is the best song in history. Fight me.

Jefferson DL
225 x 5 x 2 sets
315 x 5 x 2 sets
405 x 5 x 2 sets

I feel less than well. Probably a sinus infection, I have 2 negative Covid tests, so probably not Covid somehow. I'm light headed and now my lungs are itchy after the workout. Great. As nothing of a workout as that was it fried me, I have a lazy eye and when I get really tired/wiped it unfocuses for me so i see double off and on and that's where things were at putting away the plates and even right now after I've had a shower and am sitting on my backside typing. Oh well.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:22 pm

Sunday 8/21/22
Floor Press - barbell
135 x 10
225 x 10
245 x 10, 9, 10 - thought about picking up the missed rep on set 3 but didn't want to fight for it

Y-Raises - DBs
50 x 12 x 3 sets

Rotating Triceps Extensions
50 x 8 x 2 sets - neutral at top to supinated at face
50 x 8 x 2 sets - pronated at top to neutral at face
So, in normal speak I turned the pinkies towards the center on the descent on both, but the first 2 were neutral start and the second two started palms towards face.

Cross Body Curls
50 x 12 x 3 sets

Cross Body Pullovers - one arm at a time - KB
35 x 10 x 2 sets
explanation - flat on my back, KB straight up on a straight arm, lower to area above opposite shoulder and back, crossing the body with my arm and getting sweaty biceps in the face. It was interesting.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:02 pm

Tuesday 8-23-22
Sumo DL
225 x 5 - DOH
315 x 3
405 x 3
495 x 3 - straps
505 x 2

Deficit RDL - 6"
315 x 5 - DOH
315 x 8 x 2 sets - straps
315 x 5

Grip gave at 5th rep on the first RDL set, I'd lost tension so I stopped the set and went for a 4th to pick up the 3 missing reps. Did an extra 2 just to make sure I got that "Gonna puke" feeling.
I am learning this whole Sumo thing I think. I am very upright on the lighter sets now, but less so on the heavier sets. Feels like a clear sign of a deficiency, probably quads, maybe hip flexors. They really feel like nothing and then suddenly the next weight feels like something with very little notice. I'm going to tell myself that it's all going to plan, until time prves me wrong. The 5's on the ends of the bar don't show up in the video of the top set but they are there.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:54 pm

That is very much my experience with sumo. It feels weightless and then without any intermediate phase won't fucking move.

I like the way Greg Panora put it to his coaching group when explaining why switching to sumo wasn't that simple, and his words were to the effect of, it's really easy until suddenly your spine comes out of your back.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:48 am

MarkKO wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:54 pm That is very much my experience with sumo. It feels weightless and then without any intermediate phase won't fucking move.

I like the way Greg Panora put it to his coaching group when explaining why switching to sumo wasn't that simple, and his words were to the effect of, it's really easy until suddenly your spine comes out of your back.
Sumo is just very technical in comparison to conventional. If you get it right, it can be more efficient. If not, then I think it is probably less efficient. I feel like I have been working on my sumo form for years now.