Hardartery - Recreational Outrage

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Hardartery

Hardartery - Recreational Outrage

Post by Hardartery » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:49 pm

Been on T-Nation a couple of years, but they have developed a HIT infection and are concerned about protecting the infected from reality, so I'm looking for a new home.
6'-0
285lbs
48 years old. Former Strongman competitor and some Highland Games. Currently in Nicaragua, occasionally in SC and NC. Originally from Canada.
Saturday 11/21
Floor Press
225 x 8
275 x 5 x 3 sets

Front Raises - Plates
45 x 5
45 x 7 x 2 sets
Rear Flyes - Plates
45 x 7 x 3 sets
Side Raises - Plates
45 x 7 x 3 sets

Limited equipment atm, so there will be limited exercise variation in here.
Last edited by Hardartery on Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Re: Hardartery - As Big As Your Mom

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:08 pm

Welcome, @Hardartery

I very much appreciate your log title. \o/

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:19 pm

Hoping to fit in. I got worried when I couldn't figure out bar**bell** to finish the registration. Senior moment i guess.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:32 am

@Hardartery, are you doing floor presses due to lack of a bench?

Asking because I’ve been in same situation since the pandemic and have considered floor presses. I don’t exactly have a barrel chest, though, so it’d be like me doing the top half of a bench press, if even. Do you think that still has value?

(I’ve been “covering” the bench issue with pushups thus far. Valuable for a bunch of reasons, but not the same thing and fuck do I miss benching.)

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:04 am

The floor Presses are totally because of lack of bench. I am working out in what is essentially a carport, and I found 2 six inch blocks to set the plates on to get enough height to pick the weight. I am essentially doing the rough equivalent of a one board press. I have monkey arms, but a thick chest (Not wide particularly, but thick). I am actually feeling it in my pecs the next day, which is unexpected and weird. I'm not basing effectiveness on soreness, but it is surprising me with some.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:05 pm

Tuesday 11/24
Jacked up day. The neighbour's apartment had a leak, so the water was off for our little compound all afternoon while he fixed it. So, late workout.
Clean and Press - 1 clean, 1 press in front, 1 press BTN, then back to the floor = 1 rep
135 x 1 x 2 sets
185 x 1
185 x 2 x 4 sets
185 x 1 x 2 sets
Yes, this is just light work. I am mostly shooting for increased shoulder flexibility right now, and the slow controlled reps provide a good stretch that I'm hoping carries over. I am doing some remedial stretching work as well to free up the pec and biceps tightness. As I get older, I am less flexible, and it becomes an issue. If this vaccine gets around I can hopefully return to a gym one of these days and start back squatting again, which is an issue when you can't get your hands back far enough to provide bar position. It was taking me all the way to my second workset sometimes to finally get things to let go - then covid hit. Buying weights has been a challenge, and I don't have room for equipment when we're in Nicaragua. So, I will make do until I can get back to a gym.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:28 pm

Wednesday 11/25
"Belt" Squats
90 x 8
135 x 8
180 x 8
225 x 8
270 x 8
315 x 8
On the last set I found out why they use that Landmine attachment thing bolted to the floor. The bar moved, shed itself of the 45 holding down the other end in the corner and proceeded to unload itself and run away from me. So, I decided to stop seeing as the bar was done and tried to put itself away. I'm not sure if I need to find more stuff to pile on top of it, or maybe I'll acknowledge the physics of it and put the slip ring on the end after the plates, instead of first thing. Either way, it wasn't really as much work as I wanted on the work sets end. It was only my second time trying this, so I'll waste less time feeling out the lower weights first.
Just to provide a visual, I'm standing on 6" blocks wearing a dip belt with the chain carabinered to a sleeve with an eye welded to it. It's just a little more ghetto than the Ironmind one, but I have very little invested and it's only meant to tide me over until I get squat rack access again post pandemic.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:10 pm

Friday 11/27
Floor Press
225 x 5
315 x 3 x 3 sets

Side Raises - Plates
45 x 7 x 3 sets
Front Raises - Plates
45 x 7 x 3 sets

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:15 pm

Saturday 11/28
Deadlift - Conventional
315 x 5 -double overhand
405 x 3
495 x 3 - straps
575 x 3 x 2 sets
575 x 2
Just couldn't manup and finish the last pull. Belched afterwards though, dunno if that played a factor. I probably shouldn't do heavyish lifting right after I eat.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:04 pm

Sunday 11/29
Rows - straight bar
225 x 6 x 4 sets
Pronated grip, Clean width

Plate Curls
45 x 10 x 4 sets

I should note, I also do the stationary bike roughly every other day as well, I just don't bother to log it.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:36 pm

Tuesday 12/1
Clean and Press
The usual for now, 1 clean, one press in front, one BTN
135 x 1 x 3 sets
175 x 1 x 10 (at least) sets
Lots of stretching of the upper body. My shoulder flexibility sucks right now. Thanks aging process!

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:53 pm

Thursday 12/3
Belt Squat thingie
4 plates x 6
5 plates x 6
6 plates x 6
7 plates x 6
8 plates x 6
9 plates x 3
9 plates x 6 x 2 sets
Got an "Engineered" setup that kinda works for the moment for this landmine thing. No more space on the bar though, plates to the end at 9 with the attachment on there. Gues I work reps for a while.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:31 pm

Friday 12/4
Floor Press
225 x 6
275 x 4 x 3 sets

Sunday 12/6
Side Raises - plate
45 x 10 x 3 sets
Front Raises - plate
45 x 10 x 3 sets

I apparently now have gout, blessed man that I am. It's only in one foot, and actually looks a lot better after lifting today and then the bike. I figured if I don't pass out maybe the blood flow will be good for it. So far so good. If it's gonna hurt like mad anyway I might as well fight back.

jake241983

Post by jake241983 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:13 am

Hardartery wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:53 pm Thursday 12/3
Belt Squat thingie
4 plates x 6
5 plates x 6
6 plates x 6
7 plates x 6
8 plates x 6
9 plates x 3
9 plates x 6 x 2 sets
Got an "Engineered" setup that kinda works for the moment for this landmine thing. No more space on the bar though, plates to the end at 9 with the attachment on there. Gues I work reps for a while.
I went through a few DIY belt squat setups like you described. Had the landmine style first with one end of the barbell stuck into the corner of the leg press with a guy making sure it stays down. Then using the plate loaded calf raise machine standing in front on a bunch of plates. That actually works pretty well.

Then I got a Spud Inc belt squat machine on Black Friday last year. I got the shorter loading pin which will hold seven plates if you put one up over the chain. They make a longer loading pin which sounds like you'd need. Doing that standing on platforms works really well. Even better holding a small kettlebell like in a goblet squat position just as a que to stay upright. With the free weights it feels like a more natural plane on motion. On the knees especially. Those lever type setups put my knees in a weird position. My gym has a Titan Fitness belt squat machine and I don't like it for that reason.

But anyway, if you already have a good belt find you a good loading pin and I think you'd like it better. The Spud Inc one is just a piece of strap like you'd strap a load down with except with a ring on the end to keep the plates on. If you have something like that lying around try it out. You don't need as much weight with it being free weight as you do with it like a landmine.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:07 am

jake241983 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:13 am
I went through a few DIY belt squat setups like you described. Had the landmine style first with one end of the barbell stuck into the corner of the leg press with a guy making sure it stays down. Then using the plate loaded calf raise machine standing in front on a bunch of plates. That actually works pretty well.

Then I got a Spud Inc belt squat machine on Black Friday last year. I got the shorter loading pin which will hold seven plates if you put one up over the chain. They make a longer loading pin which sounds like you'd need. Doing that standing on platforms works really well. Even better holding a small kettlebell like in a goblet squat position just as a que to stay upright. With the free weights it feels like a more natural plane on motion. On the knees especially. Those lever type setups put my knees in a weird position. My gym has a Titan Fitness belt squat machine and I don't like it for that reason.

But anyway, if you already have a good belt find you a good loading pin and I think you'd like it better. The Spud Inc one is just a piece of strap like you'd strap a load down with except with a ring on the end to keep the plates on. If you have something like that lying around try it out. You don't need as much weight with it being free weight as you do with it like a landmine.
If I was in the US I would either order a Landmine base and bolt it to the floor, or get the one that Clint Darden sampled. Or, more likely, I would buy or build a half rack and squat. As it is, I am usually in Nicaragua - as I am at present - where I do volunteer work. I am restricted to remote work atm due to the pandemic, so I am not using the public gym that I would otherwise use. I'm making do, and no one ships to Nicaragua. My setup is a dip belt attached by chain and carabiner to a bit of metal tube that fits over the bar and has an eye welded to it. I stand on 6 inch blocks to try and achieve some depth. The whole thing is pretty ghetto, but it is what it is.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:19 pm

Wednesday 12/9
Bent Rows
135 x 10
225 x 7 x 4 sets

Plate Curls
45 x 5 x 2 sets
45 x 10

**note, I've been using a weird second hand plate for these, it's looks like a Walmart Special or something. It's essentiall three pokes and the rim is round at the open parts (The holes between spokes). This make it essentially like using a really weird kettlebell. I have just painted these two plates, so they weren't available. Thus I used a standard 45 plate this time. It was really weird for the first two sets and then I got used to it and it went easy.
I've also been doing a stretch every other day or so for flexibility. I am giving it credit for my renewed ability to rack a bar in front again. I saw a few Youtube videos on stretching for this problem and adapted this from one of them. In the video the guy used a stick, like one you would use for dislocations. It involves having your upper arm parallel with the floor and you standing, the elbow bent at 90 degrees hand towards the sky. Gripping the stick in the hand with the stick running down the outside of the forearm down past the elbow, you take the other hand and pull on the stick, leveraging it against the elbow to pull the hand and forearm in a back an down rotation. It hurts. I grip a 25lb plate while resting my elbow on a neighbouring bar (The rack on the bed of a pickup in my case) in an arm wrestling position essentially, and I let the plate gradually pull my hand back and perform the stretch. Initially I would have to push my left hand with my right to get it started because it wouldn't even sit at vertical on it's own.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:23 pm

Friday 12/11
Deadlifts - the greatest of all of the lifts
315 x 3 double overhand
405 x 3 - mixed grip on reps 2 and 3
495 x 1, then 2 more with straps
585 x 2 x 2 sets
495 x 3
My toe is screaming at me after that, but there's almost no swelling left and it's mostly okay now. Once I hit 5 for three sets I start adding top sets until 5 x 5. Then I'll think about adding weight again.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:15 am

Monday 12/15
Front Raises - Plate
45 x 10 x 4 sets

Side Raises - Plate
45 x 10 x 3 sets

Grip was fried, gout is finally going away.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:03 pm

Wednesday 12/16
Belt Squats
6 plates x 6
7 plates x 6
8 plates x 6
9 plates x 7 x 4 sets

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:39 am