Hardartery - Recreational Outrage

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Renascent
Desperado

Re: Hardartery - Fat Man and Little Boy

Post by Renascent » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:31 pm

Hardartery wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:34 pmSeated DB MP (Sitting on the floor)
50 x 5 x 3 sets
What is "MP?"

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:30 am

Military Press
Maybe no one uses that term anymore? Dunno, I'm old.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:03 pm

7/28/22
DL, from 4" blocks
225 x 3 - DOH
315 + red bands x 3
405 + red bands x 3
495 x 2 - straps
585 x 3
585 x 4

Pullovers - DB
50 x 12 x 2 sets

I felt like I had at least 5 reps on both of the top sets. I stopped at 3 on the first one because I wanted a second set and I did not get one last time and I was worried about overdoing it and causing a scratch on the second set. I could feel my glutes activating, and for the first time ever I felt lats on the DL, not on the heavy sets but on the ramp up sets I could actually feel them fire mid-back height right around where I feel the pullovers. It felt better and better as the session went on, but I restrained myself and my natural inclination to just burn myself into the ground with excessive sets.
I got two sets to compare form. I am pretty happy with how the work set looked.

Hardartery

Re: Hardartery -Recreational Outrage

Post by Hardartery » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:54 pm

Friday 7/29/22
Muscle Snatch
warmup stuff
135 x 3

Muscle Snatch + Strict MP
135 x 5
165 x 5 x 7 sets

Muscle Snatch + BTN Strict Press
135 x 3 x 3 sets

This workout looks like nothing, but I am trashed. Literally every rep involves some level of pain from the bone spurs in the left shoulder but the pain is less than it used to be and the shoulder mobility is slowly improving.
I think I told @Renascent that the blocks I use for Block Pulls and Floor Press are concrete. I have discovered that they are not, they are in fact a quarried stone somewhere in the sandstone family. And one of them is now split in two, I noticed it today. So, as long as I don't try to move it it will maybe hang in there for a while. I hope. I will probably have to come up with something else though, it's the second one to break and I have a feeling it will be a constant replacement issue.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:08 pm

Hardartery wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:54 pm Friday 7/29/22
Muscle Snatch
warmup stuff
135 x 3

135 x 5
165 x 5 x 7 sets

135 x 3 x 3 sets

This workout looks like nothing, but I am trashed. Literally every rep involves some level of pain from the bone spurs in the left shoulder but the pain is less than it used to be and the shoulder mobility is slowly improving.
I think I told @Renascent that the blocks I use for Block Pulls and Floor Press are concrete. I have discovered that they are not, they are in fact a quarried stone somewhere in the sandstone family. And one of them is now split in two, I noticed it today. So, as long as I don't try to move it it will maybe hang in there for a while. I hope. I will probably have to come up with something else though, it's the second one to break and I have a feeling it will be a constant replacement issue.
Any chance of using some kind of adhesive to fill the crack or join the pieces?

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:53 am

I'm liking the current log title....

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:43 am

MarkKO wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:08 pm
Muscle Snatch
warmup stuff
135 x 3

135 x 5
165 x 5 x 7 sets

135 x 3 x 3 sets

I feel that would be a continuous fight. The blocks are dirt cheap, in fact I think dirt costs more, but super brittle. So it makes a lot of sense to use in a seismic zone as a standard construction material....super brittle and solid so you cannot run rebar in it. Sure. Good plan there. But it's cheap, and in a really horrible developing world economy price tends to trump thinking ahead. I need top just break down and pay someone to weld me up a couple of boxes, it costs next to nothing for fabrication here it's just about how much the materials are going to run and if I can actually buy what I want or wait for it to become available in the country. Supply chain issues takes on a new level of intensity in these places.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:33 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:43 am
Muscle Snatch
warmup stuff
135 x 3

135 x 5
165 x 5 x 7 sets

135 x 3 x 3 sets

I feel that would be a continuous fight. The blocks are dirt cheap, in fact I think dirt costs more, but super brittle. So it makes a lot of sense to use in a seismic zone as a standard construction material....super brittle and solid so you cannot run rebar in it. Sure. Good plan there. But it's cheap, and in a really horrible developing world economy price tends to trump thinking ahead. I need top just break down and pay someone to weld me up a couple of boxes, it costs next to nothing for fabrication here it's just about how much the materials are going to run and if I can actually buy what I want or wait for it to become available in the country. Supply chain issues takes on a new level of intensity in these places.
Those are all familiar problems from where I grew up.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:57 pm

MarkKO wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:33 pm
Muscle Snatch
warmup stuff
135 x 3

135 x 5
165 x 5 x 7 sets

135 x 3 x 3 sets

Where did you grow up? I'm guessing not Australia, but I don't know how some of the way out parts of Aus are...

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:50 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:57 pm
MarkKO wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:33 pm
Muscle Snatch
warmup stuff
135 x 3

135 x 5
165 x 5 x 7 sets

135 x 3 x 3 sets

Where did you grow up? I'm guessing not Australia, but I don't know how some of the way out parts of Aus are...
Northern Middle East. Very similar to parts of Australia in climate, interestingly enough.

Fabrication of almost anything here in Australia is expensive. So are materials. Our manufacturing sector isn't really so great these days, which I suspect is mirrored in the US and most of Western Europe simply because it is just so much cheaper to get things made in Asia; and while maybe 20 or even 10 years ago that was with a significant sacrifice in quality, that doesn't seem to be the case now.

Most Australian gym equipment companies, and I'm talking about ones catering to powerlifting and strongman specifically, have their barbells, plates and racks made in China and they are for the most part really rather good. They're pretty up front about it too in a lot of cases. There are a couple of companies that I think manufacturer in Australia but not many.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:40 am

MarkKO wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:50 pm
Northern Middle East. Very similar to parts of Australia in climate, interestingly enough.

Fabrication of almost anything here in Australia is expensive. So are materials. Our manufacturing sector isn't really so great these days, which I suspect is mirrored in the US and most of Western Europe simply because it is just so much cheaper to get things made in Asia; and while maybe 20 or even 10 years ago that was with a significant sacrifice in quality, that doesn't seem to be the case now.

Most Australian gym equipment companies, and I'm talking about ones catering to powerlifting and strongman specifically, have their barbells, plates and racks made in China and they are for the most part really rather good. They're pretty up front about it too in a lot of cases. There are a couple of companies that I think manufacturer in Australia but not many.
The migration of manufacturing in North America was driven by US companies, especially in things like steel production. US Steel bought out Stelco in Canada, which was one of the largest steel producers in the world, and immediately shut everything down in Canada and laid everyone off. They did not move that production to the US, and in fact shut down a brand new steel plant in Ontario that was the most advanced in the world, probably still is just no operating. The failure of more than half a dozen steel producers in China recently is going to have an impact that will will be hard to mitigate I think.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:21 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:40 am

The migration of manufacturing in North America was driven by US companies, especially in things like steel production. US Steel bought out Stelco in Canada, which was one of the largest steel producers in the world, and immediately shut everything down in Canada and laid everyone off. They did not move that production to the US, and in fact shut down a brand new steel plant in Ontario that was the most advanced in the world, probably still is just no operating. The failure of more than half a dozen steel producers in China recently is going to have an impact that will will be hard to mitigate I think.
It absolutely will. I hadn't heard about that.

Why would you buy a plant and immediately shut it down? All I can think of to remove competition.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:20 am

MarkKO wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:21 pm

Why would you buy a plant and immediately shut it down? All I can think of to remove competition.
It was just to remove competition. Stelco was the unionized company, the bigger company was Dofasc which was non-union. Dofasco is now owned by a Japanese company and was always the better one to work for of the two. There are always a few other smaller players around, but those two were the big dogs. Dofasco still operates and still pays well. The US companies just tear down capacity to eliminate competition and then outsource it. The stock market rewards short term thinking way too frequently.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:14 pm

Hardartery wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:20 am
MarkKO wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:21 pm

It was just to remove competition. Stelco was the unionized company, the bigger company was Dofasc which was non-union. Dofasco is now owned by a Japanese company and was always the better one to work for of the two. There are always a few other smaller players around, but those two were the big dogs. Dofasco still operates and still pays well. The US companies just tear down capacity to eliminate competition and then outsource it. The stock market rewards short term thinking way too frequently.
That's definitely a big problem. Short term thinking costs a lot of money in the long term.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:03 pm

Tuesday 8/2/22
Sumo DL - because accessory day and it might do me some good
225 x 3 - DOH
315 x 3
405 x 3
495 x 3 x 2 sets - straps
Yep, Sumo is cheaty. No way shoulf I be hitting that number out of the box that easy.

RDL - deficit - 6" block
235 x 10 x 3 sets

JM Press -DB
50 x 10 x 3 sets
KB Cross Body Tricep Extensions - arm to arm back and forth until positive fail on the weak side
35 x 7, 4, 2 reps

Here are videos for criique. I have no idea what I'm doing on Sumo, but I notice my shins were not vertical at any point and I have heard it said that that is some kind of desirable thing. The grip is completely on the smooth and no chalk, FWIW.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:30 pm

I have no idea what I'm doing with sumo either.

I think the whole vertical shins idea comes from getting more behind the bar but again, I have no idea what I'm doing with sumo.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:05 pm

What happened to the decimeter? Why doesn't anyone use it (It's a metric unit equalling 10 centimetres for my American friends)?

Anyway....
Thursday 8/4/22
Floor Press
135 x 10
225 x 10
245 x 10
245 x 9
245 x 10 x 2 sets

EZ Bar JM Press
105 x 7
105 x 10 x 3 sets

EZ Bar Curls
105 x 6 x 3 sets

DB Rear Flyes
50 x 12 x 3 sets

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:34 pm

Hardartery wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:05 pm What happened to the decimeter? Why doesn't anyone use it (It's a metric unit equalling 10 centimetres for my American friends)?

Anyway....
Thursday 8/4/22
Floor Press
135 x 10
225 x 10
245 x 10
245 x 9
245 x 10 x 2 sets

EZ Bar JM Press
105 x 7
105 x 10 x 3 sets

EZ Bar Curls
105 x 6 x 3 sets

DB Rear Flyes
50 x 12 x 3 sets
It's kind of unwieldy in size, I guess.

I know here in construction we use millimetres, not centimetres. For larger dimensions we use metres (over maybe seven or eight metres I think).

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:05 pm

Saturday 8/6/22
Jefferson Lift
225 x 10 x 6 sets
Alternated grip for symmetry, so 6 sets. I have a mild quad pump now, weird.

Pullovers - DB - one each hand
50 x 12 x 3 sets

Side Raises - DB
50 x 13 x 3 sets

Felt the need to try something for legs to replace the Squats I'm not doing. The Jefferson lifts don't realy replace them, but they were quad work at least which I need.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:30 pm

You've probably thought of this but if it's just quad work what about sissy squats? They don't need a ton of load to hit your quads hard.