Flexible Approach to Macros and Calories?

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

JlHorsley

Flexible Approach to Macros and Calories?

Post by JlHorsley » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:22 pm

I've faithfully used MFP to cut/bulk/maintain over the past couple of years. I don't mind it, have tended to do well at sticking to macros, and have had pretty reliable results getting to whatever my goal at the time has been.

Lately, though, I've become a little more lax about counting calories and macros. I'm maintaining right now, with calories set at 2,690. In a given day, I'll come in at around 100-200 calories of that goal in either direction. I get between 120-160 grams of protein (and only eat meat about once a week), 200-350 carbs, and 50-90 fat. Despite the fact that I'm not rigidly sticking to macros, training is going well. Strength is trending upward and I think that I've actually gained some amount of muscle in the last month-- shoulders and arms look a little better, the bodyweight has ticked slightly up, no waistline expansion.

Anyone else eat in a similar way and experience good results with training and/or body comp? Might it be that rigid macro tracking is a little overrated for the average, non-competitive schmuck? Would the results start to taper after a while without more deliberate tracking?
Last edited by JlHorsley on Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

413x

Re: Flexible Approach to Macros and Calories?

Post by 413x » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:53 pm

That's almost identical to my recent approach and experience.

mettkeks

Post by mettkeks » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:19 am

JlHorsley wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:22 pm Anyone else eat in a similar way and experience good results with training and/or body comp? Might it be that rigid macro tracking is a little overrated for the average, non-competitive schmuck? Would the results start to taper after a while without more deliberate tracking?
There is nothing magical about macros. Tracking protein and calories will net you 80% of what you need to look for. Keeping fat moderate by not deliberately trying to get in as much fat as you can will get you another 10-15% in terms of bodycomposition.

Obsessing about macros is unnecessary if you're not a bodybuilder in prep.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:42 am

If you’re at all aware of your protein and calorie requirements, maintenance is very intuitive (and it’s a really squishy target).

I think strength and body composition changes are just another hobby- like fishing or stamp collecting. Keeps me occupied, brain feels good when goals are met, etc. Super precise macro tracking is just another aspect of the hobby to nerd out over.

That said, I still think it’s a great tool for weight loss.

Regarding your thoughts on maintenance/recomp 4Life- plenty of people operate this way and do just fine. I think the trick is to get to your target body fat level and just live there, slowly getting more jacked over time.

BenM

Post by BenM » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:41 am

If you've tracked and used MFP for that long, you could very likely see equivalent or even better results without tracking. That's certainly the experience of people like Helms. It just takes a good established routine, a bit of intuition around your hunger / satiety signals, and practice.

I stopped tracking a little over 18 months ago. Notwithstanding the fact that I have some occasional issues with binging (which are far less frequent these days) it's been the best thing I ever did. I'm heavier now than I was then, but not much fatter and probably look better than I ever have at the moment, body comp wise. And when I want to lose weight I've been able to do that without needing to track, gaining without gaining too fast is probably the harder part - it's all a learning experience.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:41 am

I'm in a similar boat. Used MFP to lose weight a couple times, and am able to maintain pretty easily by eating mostly the same things throughout a week and adjust portions if body weight is moving too much.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:06 pm

JlHorsley wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:22 pmMight it be that rigid macro tracking is a little overrated for the average, non-competitive schmuck?
Yes.
Would the results start to taper after a while without more deliberate tracking?
Yes.

Where you're at when the results taper, you will have to decide if that's far enough for you.

JlHorsley

Post by JlHorsley » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:44 pm

Excellent. Thanks, y'all. Appreciate the insight!

ragebb

Post by ragebb » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:21 pm

I really hope some can assist me. I really need help in balancing my diet while building my self up. I am hitting the gym now a days hoping to gain some muscles. Heard of some meds befores and supplements from the social media. Can anyone what supp is good for me? for burning calories while gaining my muscles.