Mounting a fold out rack on cinder block

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

iamsmu

Mounting a fold out rack on cinder block

Post by iamsmu » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:28 pm

I have a fold out rack that's been sitting in my garage. I'll probably get the floor ready this weekend. So it's time to think about mounting it.

The wall is old cinder block. I don't know if it is hollow of filled. I'd guess hollow.

I figured that I'd install upper and lower 2x10 stringers, probably 5 feet long. My plan was to mount the stringers with tapcons, 2 every 10" or so, or maybe in an X pattern

Then I was planning to mount the brackets for the rack with 1 1/2 lag screws into the stringers.

Does this sound OK?

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Re: Mounting a fold out rack on cinder block

Post by simonrest » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:42 pm

I had to google tapcon..

the above will probably work fine. If I were doing it I'd mount the stringers using Dynabolts (not sure if you have a similar product in the US - looks like this:

iamsmu

Post by iamsmu » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:31 pm

simonrest wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:42 pm I had to google tapcon..

the above will probably work fine. If I were doing it I'd mount the stringers using Dynabolts (not sure if you have a similar product in the US - looks like this:
Hmmm. There are similar kinds of concrete anchors here. I wasn't sure that they've work on hollow block. Tapcons grips pretty damn well in the block. I removed a bunch when I started renovating the garage. I had one freeze in place. I had to grind it off. . . .

simonrest
Objectifies Monotremes

Post by simonrest » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:30 pm

They'll probably work fine, I just have a word love of masonry anchors. (BTW, they work well in hollow block)