Press question

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

MarkKO

Press question

Post by MarkKO » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:40 pm

Really open ended, based on the video what can I improve on apart from weight on the bar?

I've reintroduced pressing about three months ago because it does seem to really benefit my bench; plus also is a pressing variation that is very easy on my shoulders so it just lets me increase pressing volume with very little risk.

AdamSkillin

Re: Press question

Post by AdamSkillin » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:59 pm

There will undoubtedly be some varying opinions and perspectives on this, but my top 3 adjustments would be:

Get the bar lower in your palms and decrease wrist extension/create more efficient force transfer between elbow and barbell
Don't bring the bar down quite so low between reps. Bounce the bar off a location in space about 2"/5cm above your upper pecs/clavicles
Stay off your heels (toes actually came up on the last rep). I much prefer pressing in lifters and recommend trying it if you have them, and that may help.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:42 pm

AdamSkillin wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:59 pm There will undoubtedly be some varying opinions and perspectives on this, but my top 3 adjustments would be:

Get the bar lower in your palms and decrease wrist extension/create more efficient force transfer between elbow and barbell
Don't bring the bar down quite so low between reps. Bounce the bar off a location in space about 2"/5cm above your upper pecs/clavicles
Stay off your heels (toes actually came up on the last rep). I much prefer pressing in lifters and recommend trying it if you have them, and that may help.
Those are great, thanks heaps. Will factor all those in. The heels one is especially good, because I automatically try to sit on my heels for pretty much any lift I do standing apart from squats. Chances are if I focus on more even distribution on my feet I won't even need heeled shoes.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:50 pm

Pretty nice presses. I’d probably also add to just try to remove some of the leg movement as well, if you can. The last rep had a little tiny bit of knee extension for sure.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:14 pm

mgil wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:50 pm Pretty nice presses. I’d probably also add to just try to remove some of the leg movement as well, if you can. The last rep had a little tiny bit of knee extension for sure.
Definitely noticed that. It creeps in as I get fatigued. I'll work on that as well.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:41 pm

I wouldn't change anything. No reason to decrease ROM, ever, IMO. That just reduces flexibility in the long term and fatigues your wrists faster (Among other things). I don't care what Rip says, he's wrong. If it's comfortable to push from the heels, go for it, this is accessory work after all and it doesn't actually suit your goal as a PLer to change that technique to the toes. Adding weight to quickly is probably also counter productive. This is giving you some volume that aids revocery for Benching, treat it like that. If your goal was to OHP more, I would say different things, but that is not your goal. Don't be afraid to go BTN for variety. Contrary to popular Bro Science, it doesn't cause injury or do anything awful to you. It will isolate different muscles than other pressiong though which has a very positive effect on triceps and medial (Side, whatever the hell people are calling them) delts.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:33 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:41 pm I wouldn't change anything. No reason to decrease ROM, ever, IMO. That just reduces flexibility in the long term and fatigues your wrists faster (Among other things). I don't care what Rip says, he's wrong. If it's comfortable to push from the heels, go for it, this is accessory work after all and it doesn't actually suit your goal as a PLer to change that technique to the toes. Adding weight to quickly is probably also counter productive. This is giving you some volume that aids revocery for Benching, treat it like that. If your goal was to OHP more, I would say different things, but that is not your goal. Don't be afraid to go BTN for variety. Contrary to popular Bro Science, it doesn't cause injury or do anything awful to you. It will isolate different muscles than other pressiong though which has a very positive effect on triceps and medial (Side, whatever the hell people are calling them) delts.
Also good points.

The heels vs toes things caught my interest because there are times when I'm pressing that my balance goes a bit off - so arguably it may be worth experimenting to see if where I put my weight on my feet can improve that.

While I do like pressing though, it's only something I do for my bench. Adding weight is at a snail's pace very deliberately.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:05 pm

Exactly. Being on the toes is a much more advantageous positioin for actual pressing, as pointed out, but if you are srtict pressing for Bench assistance it probably doesn't matter. Unless you bench off of your toes or need the calf work.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:13 am

Well, I do need the calf work 🤣🤣🤣

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:04 am

Regarding the heels/toe lifting thing... try standing a little wider...

You walk it out and then bring your feet in to a more narrow stance, could probably just leave them where they landed... having a little wider base might help your balance/stability some...

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:29 pm

That's another great idea. I've been telling myself to stand wider, but apparently I'm not doing it. Something to work on for sure.