Slingshot (and other variants)

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Manveer
M3N4C3

Slingshot (and other variants)

Post by Manveer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:24 am

Perhaps a dumb question, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Have any of you changed from using a Slingshot which offers a lower level of assistance to the stronger ones as you got stronger? Did it make the Slingshot work more effective?

The advice I've received is to use 10-15% of one's 1RM as an overload. I get about 30 lbs out of the red Slingshot, I think. Would it help to move up to the yellow version? Most I've benched is 375. Also, not at all trying to rationalize buying more equipment...I would never do that. /s

OCG

Re: Slingshot (and other variants)

Post by OCG » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:33 am

Nah. Also, 115% is waaaay too much. Even 105% should be hard as balls if you're doing it right. As a rule of thumb, based on nothing at all, you should be able to do your 1RM for a hard triple. The way I use it is as overload work. I like triples and doubles, done heaver than normal so around 90-95% for reps and maybe even up to 100% or a little over coming up to a comp. I like to utilise long pauses, to get used to staying real tight under a heavy weight. I like to have the thing adjusted to give me just enough assistance to make heavy 1RMish weights doable. I see some people have it pulled up to their armpits to get max assistance and I'm not sure I see the point.

I like the slingshot a lot, it's very useful in the same vein as something like rack pulls. Real good at getting you used to heavy weights without wrecking you too too much.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:35 am

I've only ever used the red, 400 bench. If you send me the yellow, I'll test it and let you know the results!

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:41 am

OCG wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:33 am Nah. Also, 115% is waaaay too much. Even 105% should be hard as balls if you're doing it right. As a rule of thumb, based on nothing at all, you should be able to do your 1RM for a hard triple.
Based on nothing at all? OK.

I've used chain weight to get a 10-15% overload. Worked well, I think.

The 375 I did was paused, might've had 5-8 lbs in the tank. A few weeks later I did 375x4 TnG with the red slingshot.

Idlehands
Sunshine + Unicorns

Post by Idlehands » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:28 am

Manveer wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:24 am Perhaps a dumb question, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Have any of you changed from using a Slingshot which offers a lower level of assistance to the stronger ones as you got stronger? Did it make the Slingshot work more effective?

The advice I've received is to use 10-15% of one's 1RM as an overload. I get about 30 lbs out of the red Slingshot, I think. Would it help to move up to the yellow version? Most I've benched is 375. Also, not at all trying to rationalize buying more equipment...I would never do that. /s
I've got the yellow. I've never actually used it, however i thought the other thing with the yellow was it had different angles so it actually fit better than the original red?

Buddy used my yellow a few times and then bought his own. His max is 315 or so fwiw.

KDW
HODGE

Post by KDW » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:53 pm

Here's all I can add Manveer...
I tried the slingshot once a couple years ago. I didn't like how it squeezed my arms or pulled my elbows in excessively. The slingshot made it really difficult to keep my elbows under the bar. So I just did reverse band that day.
Now, I'm 100 percent straight weight, 100 percent comp lift. My variation comes from intensity and volume only.

Hamburgerfan
Possibly Vegan

Post by Hamburgerfan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:11 pm

I've always used 10% or less as a rule of thumb for overload variations. If you're getting less than that then I'd just spend more time slingshot benching and maybe getting better at it. I think that would help your bench and lockout more than getting a stronger one. But I don't bench a lot so do whatever, man.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:02 pm

It’s been a while since I used mine in earnest, but I got at least 10-15% out of the red. At a point in time where I couldn’t single at 315, I hit 335 or so for 3 or more. But my shoulders are beat to hell and I have very little power at the bottom of the ROM.

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:13 pm

KDW wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:53 pm Here's all I can add Manveer...
I tried the slingshot once a couple years ago. I didn't like how it squeezed my arms or pulled my elbows in excessively. The slingshot made it really difficult to keep my elbows under the bar. So I just did reverse band that day.
Now, I'm 100 percent straight weight, 100 percent comp lift. My variation comes from intensity and volume only.
At one time I didn't mind the bold statement, but now I found that benching with more flare (max legal grip) and touching higher on my chest is a lot better for my shoulders. Tucking too much always seems to give me a shoulder injury. And I agree that the slingshot kind of makes you tuck automatically, which is why I am staying away from it right now. I've just been doing straight bench and floor pressing, and knock on wood, my shoulders are feeling great.