Home gym equipment suggestions

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

pcolumbus

Home gym equipment suggestions

Post by pcolumbus » Mon May 24, 2021 8:16 pm

Hello folks,

Moved over from SS forums when these forums started, and got a few breaks when we had two kids. And a longer break with the Corona situation and couldn't lift in a commercial gym for a while. We're about to close on a new house and I made sure it has a dedicated space for a home gym. 13x12 room in the climate controlled basement with 90" ceilings and 10" more between joists. Based on my lifting preferences since 2016, I've been doing research in terms of what to get in order to get compound exercises done effectively. Budget is around 10K, so cost isn't a huge factor. I just want to buy the right stuff first time if possible.

I'd like to ask you fine folks if you have any suggestions on the following:

1) Flat Bench(Rogue monster Utility 2.0 with Thompson Fat pad) vs Rogue AB2 vs Rep AB5200 ladder style
I mostly use a flat bench, with an occasional incline when prescribed in my last BBM cycle. Preference is to buy one FI bench if it is stable enough for the Fixed part. What would be your choice among above or any others I should consider? Should I really buy a flat and incline bench separately?

2) Weights for lifting - Rogue deep dish vs Rogue six shooter vs Rogue comp bumpers
Noise isn't a big factor. I used the Rogue bumpers before and they were fine. Wondering if Six shooters or deep dish are better to handle due to grip features on them.

3) Deadlift platform vs rolled rubber flooring
Due to the limited height, I'd prefer not to do a 2-3" platform in front of the rack for deadlifting - so that I can overhead press there without hitting the joists. If I had say 1" of rolled rubber flooring(Eg: Regupol), is that good enough to buffer the shock of deadlifts being lowered forcefully on occasion? Does this influence the choice of plates above?

Thank you for any information you can provide based on your experience!

damufunman

Re: Home gym equipment suggestions

Post by damufunman » Tue May 25, 2021 3:00 am

No preference on 1) or 2), but I had a similar setup in my last place in the basement. Went with a 3 layer platform and just centered it so that the plates went up between joists. Had to stay centered within 3-5", but did Olympic lifting and had no issues. There may be HVAC vents to worry about, but if that's not an issue then I'd definitely say see if you can manage the platform. My main concern would be concrete floor damage with heavy deadlifts without the platform, though have only heard about this happening, not sure how likely it is.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue May 25, 2021 3:17 am

Urethane coated grip plates?
The Rep Equalizers appear to be a lot less money than rubber coated Six Shooters
https://www.repfitness.com/rep-urethane ... equalizers.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue May 25, 2021 4:01 am

My opinion:

The Rep fitness bench is probably your best bet, although the AB-2 is nice. I’d probably buy the Rogue if I wasn’t being cheap.

I’d probably look at the six shooters first based on your situation. If spaces gets tight (13’ x 12’ isn’t *huge*), then grip-style plates become easier to maneuver about.

A decoupled floor for deadlifts is probably best? That being said, you can control the eccentric and deadlift heavy on those cheap thin foam pads and not crack a slab.

Other considerations (based on my own experience):

Get some of the cheaper bumpers for the first couple of plates on DL. Having those fat boys with a lot of comparative surface area and a bit of squish seem to soften the blow of DLs significantly.

Get some bar storage. The Rogue gun rack is a good deal.

Consider buying a good lat tower/low row machine with its own weight stack. Great for accessory work and working around injuries, if needed.

I’d also consider getting a set of dumbbells or kettlebells to do random GPP work also.

Finally, consider your selection of barbells. I’d have one “normal” barbell, one trap bar, one (rack-able) ez curl bar, and possibly an SSB. If not now, keep them in mind for future plans (and space - note gun rack above).

If you’re serious about owning a home gym, then there’s a decent probability that you’re going to run stale on the typical compound lifts after a while and you’ll want something to support further gains.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue May 25, 2021 6:05 am

regarding #3.

I'd at least do a 4' x 8' platform for deadlifting, and/or would do rubber plates for a setup inside the house.
I would either do the 2" to 3"thick varieties of platforms or plinths .... or just two layers of 3/4" quality plywood stacked, using rubber/bumper plates.

You don't know how the concrete was done. You might get really strong; even "controlled lowering" does puts a slight impact down.

You can press on the non raised areas of the floor; there are various ways to do set this up.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue May 25, 2021 8:23 am

A density rubber is fine in singe layer. Not the Costco/Walmart cheap stuff. The heavy stuff like the horse matting at TSC. You are really unlikely to bother the concrete, unless it is defective. I'm saying that as a retired Masonry Contractor and the son of a Masonry Contractor. If you are a nervous type, buy bumpers, but seriously it is a big concern for people and should absolutely not be. I personally would lay down a floor epoxy before moving anything in, it's just nicer for cleanup and overall environment. It will seal out some moisture from the slab as well.
To me, the single biggest concern in plate selection is space. Bumpers are going to be a very serious limit. Albeit, not a factor on over head work, but if you want more than 600 on the bar then you aren't using bumpers exclusively. Mixing plates in the long term can cost. It does absolutely blunt impact, but the regular plates can literally beat the center out of the black training bumpers over time. Ask me how I know. So, for me, Six-shooters out of the three options. Although I am right now plotting the purchase of calibrated plates at some point post Covid when they become available.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue May 25, 2021 9:49 am

@Hardartery Good to know regarding concrete, I won't tell people to worry about that anymore :) Any idea on dropping (rubber) weights from overhead if concrete can handled that over years?

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue May 25, 2021 1:00 pm

damufunman wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:49 am @Hardartery Good to know regarding concrete, I won't tell people to worry about that anymore :) Any idea on dropping (rubber) weights from overhead if concrete can handled that over years?
The rubber will suffer the damage. Worst case scenario there is a defect in the surface, the smooth part that you see. It is technically floated out of the rest of the slab and polished with a power finisher to look like that and th possibility exists that it might delaminate eventually. This would be shallow and easy to repair with a little hydraulic cement patch from the nearest home center, or simply fill in with some epoxy to match whatever you have. Strongman contests are frequently run in arenas on bare concrete with nothing rubberized or protective and we rarely manage to screw up the concrete.

pcolumbus

Post by pcolumbus » Tue May 25, 2021 2:01 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:17 am Urethane coated grip plates?
The Rep Equalizers appear to be a lot less money than rubber coated Six Shooters
https://www.repfitness.com/rep-urethane ... equalizers.
Will get the Rep Urethane equalizers, thanks for this suggestion.
Hardartery wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:23 am A density rubber is fine in singe layer. Not the Costco/Walmart cheap stuff. The heavy stuff like the horse matting at TSC. You are really unlikely to bother the concrete, unless it is defective. I'm saying that as a retired Masonry Contractor and the son of a Masonry Contractor.
Thanks for this - will look into putting the epoxy down before flooring to head off moisture. I'll be in overkill mode and put down three layers of 3/8" regupol Aktiv(commercial flooring) in the room. We'll be in the house for 25 years, so any minor surface damage due to DLs can be repaired.
mgil wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:01 am My opinion:

The Rep fitness bench is probably your best bet, although the AB-2 is nice. I’d probably buy the Rogue if I wasn’t being cheap.

Other considerations (based on my own experience):

Consider buying a good lat tower/low row machine with its own weight stack. Great for accessory work and working around injuries, if needed.

Thanks mgil for the detailed reply. Rep AB5200 with wide pad vs Rogue AB-2 is a tough choice. Rogue has consistently good reviews compared to occasional QC issues with Rep. So that might end up being the decisive factor in favor of AB-2.

Bar storage is on the list and I already have PowerBlock adjustable dumbbells. Getting an American Barbell Elite Power bar & Duffalo Bar(hopefully saves me from squat shouder/bicep pain) to start with, will add others later on.

I saw lat pulldown/row recommended by others like Cody here as well. Given space is at a premium, I'm eyeing the Prime Fitness Single Stack after the rack is set up. It has a 350lb stack with 1:1 ratio for lat pulls and 1:2 for other cable based exercises. See review here:

Are there any other accessory equipment pieces that are good to have?

I noticed you have the open top Legend(3171) - would you recommend that rack? Have to decide between the Legend and Rep PR-5000V2. They are both compact, have weight storage and allow multiple work areas. Ideally like not having to bolt rack into concrete since I won't have a wooden platform under it.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue May 25, 2021 2:32 pm

pcolumbus wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:16 pm

1) Should I really buy a flat and incline bench separately?

10000000000% yes. I have yet to use an adjustable bench that works as well as a dedicated bench. I like the mini cage (Westside bench) either the Rogue or Titan rip off version.

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-westside-bench-2-0

adjustable benches are wobbly no matter what. If you like benching I would say it is a must buy.

This is the adjustable bench I have:
https://edgefitnesssystems.com/products ... able-bench

It is better then most I have used. It weighs a ton so it is not supper wobbly but for flat bench it still is no good compared to the bench cage.

pcolumbus

Post by pcolumbus » Tue May 25, 2021 2:55 pm

Dup post
Last edited by pcolumbus on Tue May 25, 2021 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pcolumbus

Post by pcolumbus » Tue May 25, 2021 2:56 pm

zappey1 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:32 pm

1) Should I really buy a flat and incline

10000000000% yes. I have yet to use an adjustable bench that works as well as a dedicated bench. I like the mini cage (Westside bench) either the Rogue or Titan rip off version.

It is better then most I have used. It weighs a ton so it is not supper wobbly but for flat bench it still is no good compared to the bench cage.
The gyms I used always had bench stations, so didn’t have a chance to flat bench on an adjustable. Are you saying that a Rogue monster flat bench is wobbly compared to the dedicated west side bench station?

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue May 25, 2021 3:20 pm

pcolumbus wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:56 pm
zappey1 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:32 pm

1) Should I really buy a flat and incline

The gyms I used always had bench stations, so didn’t have a chance to flat bench on an adjustable. Are you saying that a Rogue monster flat bench is wobbly compared to the dedicated west side bench station?
yes all the adjustable benches/ utility benches I have ever used have been wobbly with higher weight. Even Rogue. Get the West side style. The comp benches are okay also but cost wayyyy more.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue May 25, 2021 3:25 pm

@pcolumbus, I love my rack. It’s been great for 5-6 years. It can be bolted down, but doesn’t need to when weight is on it. Buy the upgraded hooks, and get the landmine attachment when you’re putting the package together. You’ll save some money that way.

My own opinion on the heavy duty adjustable benches is that you can deal just fine with one. The Rep units are about 120lbs and sturdy. I imagine the Rogue AB-2 is as well.

Skander

Post by Skander » Tue May 25, 2021 3:49 pm

One concern I've seen in garage gym groups is that the good quality adjustable benches are often quite heavy, and smaller lifters report them being too unweildly to move in and out of position on the regular. So if your wife/future adolescent children are expected to use the gym, that's another reason to have a nice basic flat utility bench in addition to the adjustable.

I'm also team grip plates over deep dish. They're just smaller and more useful, but it sounds like you're already decided on that

If you do the six post, make sure the final posts are full height, like mgils. There are some where the final posts are shorter than the rest and it's super annoying cause you can't really use the space in front of them the same way.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue May 25, 2021 5:50 pm

Due to the limited height, I'd prefer not to do a 2-3" platform in front of the rack for deadlifting - so that I can overhead press there without hitting the joists. If I had say 1" of rolled rubber flooring(Eg: Regupol), is that good enough to buffer the shock of deadlifts being lowered forcefully on occasion? Does this influence the choice of plates above?

I would also highly recommend a DL platform. I used to DL on horse mats for years with no damage but my goodness that thicker pad on the actual DL platform is great. They also have hangers for bands and things. I would also get a DL jack. That thing is great and I can't even think about loading plates like a peasant ever again! :lol:

I don't know all the exact dimensions of this stuff but if it can fit I would get one.

pcolumbus

Post by pcolumbus » Tue May 25, 2021 6:36 pm

zappey1 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:50 pm

I would also highly recommend a DL platform. I used to DL on horse mats for years with no damage but my goodness that thicker pad on the actual DL platform is great. They also have hangers for bands and things. I would also get a DL jack. That thing is great and I can't even think about loading plates like a peasant ever again! :lol:

I don't know all the exact dimensions of this stuff but if it can fit I would get one.
Yep, full size deadlift jack is on the list. Using a 5lb plate technically works, but the jack makes it effortless.

Almost everyone seems to be recommending a DL platform. I could put it to the side of the rack and not take up as much space. My primary hesitation with that is loading plates on to the bar involves a longer trip to the other side of the rack - not a big deal, just not as easy and symmetric as having the bar in front of the rack. Once we move in, I'll measure more accurately and see if I can press on 3 layer platform with shoes, while still remaining under the bottom of the joists. I had a 4" buffer between the top of my fists and the joists last time I checked.

pcolumbus

Post by pcolumbus » Tue May 25, 2021 6:42 pm

mgil wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:25 pm @pcolumbus, I love my rack. It’s been great for 5-6 years. It can be bolted down, but doesn’t need to when weight is on it. Buy the upgraded hooks, and get the landmine attachment when you’re putting the package together. You’ll save some money that way.

My own opinion on the heavy duty adjustable benches is that you can deal just fine with one. The Rep units are about 120lbs and sturdy. I imagine the Rogue AB-2 is as well.
I really like Legend's monster hooks for the front of the rack, since they effectively offset from the front upright by about 5 inches. This allows me to squat inside with 30" depth, and warm up press/bench outside without the two sets of plates being at risk of collision if I take a big step back. Haven't used landmine attachment until now, but will throw that in.

I'll be benching off the front uprights. So planning on getting a 30" half-safety bar pair - likely the ones made by Rae Crowther Inc. Sorinex is crazy expensive at $400+.

pcolumbus

Post by pcolumbus » Tue May 25, 2021 6:45 pm

Skander wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:49 pm One concern I've seen in garage gym groups is that the good quality adjustable benches are often quite heavy, and smaller lifters report them being too unweildly to move in and out of position on the regular. So if your wife/future adolescent children are expected to use the gym, that's another reason to have a nice basic flat utility bench in addition to the adjustable.

I'm also team grip plates over deep dish. They're just smaller and more useful, but it sounds like you're already decided on that

If you do the six post, make sure the final posts are full height, like mgils. There are some where the final posts are shorter than the rest and it's super annoying cause you can't really use the space in front of them the same way.
Wife is into Peloton, she might play around with Dumbbells if she ever sets foot into my password protected pain cave. Both kids are girls in her mold; so I doubt they'll come either, lol. I don't mind a heavy adjustable myself, just want to be sure they're stable enough for flat benching.

Re: Six post, yes - will be getting a rack with full size front uprights. Not a 3/4th rack.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue May 25, 2021 7:36 pm

pcolumbus wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:42 pm
mgil wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:25 pm pcolumbus, I love my rack. It’s been great for 5-6 years. It can be bolted down, but doesn’t need to when weight is on it. Buy the upgraded hooks, and get the landmine attachment when you’re putting the package together. You’ll save some money that way.

I really like Legend's monster hooks for the front of the rack, since they effectively offset from the front upright by about 5 inches. This allows me to squat inside with 30" depth, and warm up press/bench outside without the two sets of plates being at risk of collision if I take a big step back. Haven't used landmine attachment until now, but will throw that in.

I'll be benching off the front uprights. So planning on getting a 30" half-safety bar pair - likely the ones made by Rae Crowther Inc. Sorinex is crazy expensive at $400+.
You can add some 28” safeties (#3244) to the 3171 in addition to the beefy spotter arms (#3236 - worth it).

If you contact Legend directly, they can quote you the package price and usually there’s a solid discount. You’ll also save on shipping since they can just load it all on the same pallet.