Home gym equipment suggestions

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

pcolumbus

Re: Home gym equipment suggestions

Post by pcolumbus » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:54 pm

FredM wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:49 pm
pcolumbus wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:45 pm
mgil wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:41 am @pcolumbus, I have the Legend flat utility bench, and it’s very well made. @AdamSkillin has the Legend adjustable bench and likes it.

My adjustable is a Rep Fitness because Legend wasn’t making a 12” wide bench at the time. They might make the wider pad now? If 10” wide is fine, the 3103 is a great piece of equipment and getting it at the same time as the rest might save a few bucks.
Pulled the trigger on the 3171 rack cut down by 3 inches, with 5 pegs for weight storage. Added landmine attachment, flip-down safeties ,monster hooks and a deadlift jack. That gives me 8 weeks to get the basement gym space in order.

Decided to skip the Legend 3103 bench for now. I'm going to try out the Rogue flat bench with Thompson fat pad and add an adjustable as needed in the future.
Not sure if you saw, but Rogue just released their adjustable 3.0 which fixes basically every complaint people had. I'd have already ordered one if I hadn't just given them way too much money for other stuff. Will definitely be selling my Rep FB 5000 and cheap adjustable around Black Friday this year...
Rogue adjustable 3.0 is still 11.25" wide - would have liked to see it go to 12", like the AB-2. Based on other's experience here and on BB.com equipment threads, Thompson fat pad seems like a good option to have with a flat bench. I can always add an adjustable bench for incline work later on.

FredM

Post by FredM » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:59 pm

pcolumbus wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:54 pm
mgil wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:41 am @pcolumbus, I have the Legend flat utility bench, and it’s very well made. @AdamSkillin has the Legend adjustable bench and likes it.

My adjustable is a Rep Fitness because Legend wasn’t making a 12” wide bench at the time. They might make the wider pad now? If 10” wide is fine, the 3103 is a great piece of equipment and getting it at the same time as the rest might save a few bucks.
Pulled the trigger on the 3171 rack cut down by 3 inches, with 5 pegs for weight storage. Added landmine attachment, flip-down safeties ,monster hooks and a deadlift jack. That gives me 8 weeks to get the basement gym space in order.

Decided to skip the Legend 3103 bench for now. I'm going to try out the Rogue flat bench with Thompson fat pad and add an adjustable as needed in the future.
Not sure if you saw, but Rogue just released their adjustable 3.0 which fixes basically every complaint people had. I'd have already ordered one if I hadn't just given them way too much money for other stuff. Will definitely be selling my Rep FB 5000 and cheap adjustable around Black Friday this year...
Rogue adjustable 3.0 is still 11.25" wide - would have liked to see it go to 12", like the AB-2. Based on other's experience here and on BB.com equipment threads, Thompson fat pad seems like a good option to have with a flat bench. I can always add an adjustable bench for incline work later on.
Have you tried a Fatpad though? I'd warn against paying for one if you haven't. I bought the Rep Wide Pad and am currently using it as part of my basement standing desk setup because I hated it for benching with. Not sure your stats, but I expect unless you're huudge and/or a very wide bencher, the fat pad will be too wide for you too. While I do think 12" is "ideal" for me, I don't expect I'll miss the .75" very much, and would prefer to have the space saving ability of a single bench that I can stand on it's side to get out of the way.

pcolumbus

Post by pcolumbus » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:05 pm

FredM wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:59 pm
pcolumbus wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:54 pm

Have you tried a Fatpad though? I'd warn against paying for one if you haven't. I bought the Rep Wide Pad and am currently using it as part of my basement standing desk setup because I hated it for benching with. Not sure your stats, but I expect unless you're huudge and/or a very wide bencher, the fat pad will be too wide for you too. While I do think 12" is "ideal" for me, I don't expect I'll miss the .75" very much, and would prefer to have the space saving ability of a single bench that I can stand on it's side to get out of the way.
Hmm, that is the one thing that gives me pause about the fat pad route. I'm not small, but not huge either - 5"10 & 220lb. The last gym I went to had Olympic benches with 10" pads and that was definitely narrow for me, never tried a Thompson fat pad. May be the AB-2 with 12" pad is the safer option.

FredM

Post by FredM » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:53 pm

pcolumbus wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:05 pm
Hmm, that is the one thing that gives me pause about the fat pad route. I'm not small, but not huge either - 5"10 & 220lb. The last gym I went to had Olympic benches with 10" pads and that was definitely narrow for me, never tried a Thompson fat pad. May be the AB-2 with 12" pad is the safer option.
I'm not that upset about the Rep wide pad because it was like $65 shipped. The thompson pad seems pretty pricey to not have tested first. Gyms are open again -- I might try and find one and pay the $20 for a day pass to see if you like it before buying.

For reference I'm 5' 11" and 170, but I was 200 lbs when I bought it and didn't like it. My grip is tips of thumbs at the edge of the knurl -- so pretty narrow -- but I did experiment with pinkies on rings and still didn't like the pad. I also don't have a huge arch which might make it more useable -- the main problem was triceps hitting the pad and making me lose tightness/not get the bar all the way to my chest.

pcolumbus

Post by pcolumbus » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:08 pm

@mgil Another 3171 related question. Do you have 6 weight pegs on your Legend rack? If yes, are you able to simultaneously have standard Olympic plates(17.75") on the two lower pegs?

The salesman I spoke to said I can't have the 6 peg-system if I wanted to store Olympic plates on the lower two pegs. Want to confirm that part before they build the rack.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:41 pm

@pcolumbus, yeah, I have 6 pegs on mine. Only the bottom two will hold ~18” diameter plates. The 3 upper pegs are spaced for change plates and the 4th peg down kinda for 25-ish sized iron plates.

I’ll add that I could probably do without the bottom-most peg if I only had comp bumpers.

hector

Post by hector » Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:34 pm

I'm not going to suggest you go down this road.
I'm going to suggest that, if you go down this road, you start the journey while you're still laying out your gym.

The journey is the arcane world of grip sport and arm wrestling.
Arm wrestling and Grip training are both awesome and have crazy equipment. A little peg board would store much of it.

pcolumbus

Post by pcolumbus » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:58 pm

mgil wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:41 pm @pcolumbus, yeah, I have 6 pegs on mine. Only the bottom two will hold ~18” diameter plates. The 3 upper pegs are spaced for change plates and the 4th peg down kinda for 25-ish sized iron plates.

I’ll add that I could probably do without the bottom-most peg if I only had comp bumpers.
Finally put the gym together. Everything took longer due to covid, but everything I had planned for a couple of years is in place - in my own basement!

Legend open top 3171 rack
Kabuki Duffalo Bar
American Barbell Elite Power Bar
Rogue Deadlift bar
Rogue rackable Curl bar
Rogue urethane 6-shooter plates
Rogue monster utility bench 2.0, with Thompson Fat Pad

Today was the first workout with weights after COVID, everything feels good.
Last edited by pcolumbus on Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:01 pm

@pcolumbus, that’s awesome to hear! Congratulations

pcolumbus

Post by pcolumbus » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:08 pm

mgil wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:01 pm @pcolumbus, that’s awesome to hear! Congratulations
Thanks! Couldn't figure out how to attach an image to my earlier post, kept saying file size too large. Here is what the gym looks like - regupol flooring in the room and added two 4x8 layers for the deadlift area making it almost 1" thick there.

https://ibb.co/KGKrG71

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:26 pm

You gotta choose one of those phpBB options and edit it. Kinda sucks. Your color scheme looks great! Anyhow, here’s the pic:

@Oldandfat, there’s the Legend 3171 with Rogue monolifts.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:06 pm

mgil wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:26 pm You gotta choose one of those phpBB options and edit it. Kinda sucks. Your color scheme looks great! Anyhow, here’s the pic:

Yours? That’s sick man! Love it. Problem is the new rogue monos fit in the keyholes.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:17 pm

pcolumbus wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:08 pm
mgil wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:01 pm @pcolumbus, that’s awesome to hear! Congratulations
Thanks! Couldn't figure out how to attach an image to my earlier post, kept saying file size too large. Here is what the gym looks like - regupol flooring in the room and added two 4x8 layers for the deadlift area making it almost 1" thick there.

https://ibb.co/KGKrG71
Thought this was mails rack. Some questions if ya do@pcolumbus

1. Does legend now put “plastic” on the spotters? On the website they are bare metal 2. The support angle brackets that brace the front uprights look bolted on? Website they look welded. 3 why legend over others? 4. More pics? Lol

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:30 am

Those front angle supports are bolted down and made of ridiculously thick steel.

The spotter arms in @pcolumbus’s photo are Rogue. The Legend ones are painted steel with no UMHW.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:32 am

mgil wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:30 am Those front angle supports are bolted down and made of ridiculously thick steel.

The spotter arms in @pcolumbus’s photo are Rogue. The Legend ones are painted steel with no UMHW.
Bolted, or screwed? Seems like a week point? How can the spotters be rogue? They don’t sell a 35” deep rack, and only flip downs for the 43” depth?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:43 am

Oldandfat wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:32 am
mgil wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:30 am Those front angle supports are bolted down and made of ridiculously thick steel.

The spotter arms in pcolumbus’s photo are Rogue. The Legend ones are painted steel with no UMHW.
Bolted, or screwed? Seems like a week point? How can the spotters be rogue? They don’t sell a 35” deep rack, and only flip downs for the 43” depth?
Bolted with Allen head bolts that are a fine thread.

The half rack spotter arms in that photo above are clearly Rogue. Depth doesn’t matter since it’s a single mounting point. I think Legend makes these arms as an option also.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:46 pm

mgil wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:43 am
Oldandfat wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:32 am

The spotter arms in pcolumbus’s photo are Rogue. The Legend ones are painted steel with no UMHW.
Bolted with Allen head bolts that are a fine thread.

The half rack spotter arms in that photo above are clearly Rogue. Depth doesn’t matter since it’s a single mounting point. I think Legend makes these arms as an option also.
Yes, the half spotters are rogue. I was referring to the beefy spotter arms on the floor, inside the rack. They have plastic or rubber? On them and I’m assuming they are legend. That’s why I asked if that’s an add on.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:30 pm

Oh okay, @Oldandfat. It might be just a roll of UHMW. Those can be pretty easy to find.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:09 am

mgil wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:26 pm You gotta choose one of those phpBB options and edit it. Kinda sucks. Your color scheme looks great! Anyhow, here’s the pic:

Oh damn, that color combo is fire

pcolumbus

Post by pcolumbus » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:10 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:46 pm
Yes, the half spotters are rogue. I was referring to the beefy spotter arms on the floor, inside the rack. They have plastic or rubber? On them and I’m assuming they are legend. That’s why I asked if that’s an add on.
The beefy spotter arms are from Legend. They come with UHMW on the top side - paid an upcharge of $62 to have that added. Here is a close-up picture of them

https://imgur.com/a/oRB5zLd

Allentown wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:09 am Oh damn, that color combo is fire
Thanks! Thought the white/red combo would pop more than Black/red and make the room brighter.