Home gym equipment suggestions

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Skander

Re: Home gym equipment suggestions

Post by Skander » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:13 am

Uerethane six shooters are the best plates ever. So nice to handle. That's the one thing I really miss from my commerical gym -they had those nice intek grip plates.

pcolumbus

Post by pcolumbus » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:06 pm

Skander wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:13 am Uerethane six shooters are the best plates ever. So nice to handle. That's the one thing I really miss from my commerical gym -they had those nice intek grip plates.
Had the opportunity to try out different kind of plates, Back when I was using commercial gyms. Rogue comp bumpers, Rogue Calibrated steel plates, Hex plates with Urethane etc and I loved the grip plates the most(minus the hex part).

I was going to order Rep equalizers but Rogue’s customer service reputation made me switch over, even though they cost a bit more. Sure enough two 45s got damaged on the pallet and Rogue replaced them in two days no questions asked.

TravelGuy1

Post by TravelGuy1 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:06 am

The most important thing in the home gym is a barbell and many plates. That's all you need. You can also buy some rogue weight bench so that it is convenient for you to do bench press. You can also buy a good barbell rack, and that's all you need.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:35 am

The most important thing in the [exerciseforum5] is a [trainingequipmenttype5b].
That's all you need. You can also buy some [trainingequipment13] for you to do [exercisemovement13].
You can also buy a good [trainingequipement5] , and that's all you need.

But none of this will matter much unless you recovery is on point ... that's why I use Peptides by Mario©.
You see Peptides by Mario©, it is a scientifically created formula of the purest peptides imported from Eastern Europe, with added enhancers such a rhinoceros horn and myostatin gene expression inhibitors to maximize muscle growth. I have been taking Peptides by Mario© twice a day now for 6 to 8 weeks with 12 oz. of water in the morning and evening and my workouts have been great! My energy levels have been off the charts and I have added 13.7 kg of lean muscle mass verified by Dexxa scan. If you really want to get serious about your training, pack on lots of lean muscle mass, and get the chicks to notice your rock hard body, you really need to start using Peptides by Mario as soon as you can.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:42 am

Uhh, what exactly is the purpose of sending bots from Melmac to random lifting forums? Is it to help them learn our ways as humans?

Is the bot being tested?

Are we being tested?

Would it pass the Voight-Kampff test? Does the test even matter?

(And I legit lol'd at fucking Mario.)

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:28 am

Squat Wedges: anyone have them and/or like them?

Since my girlfriend has been lifting consistently for about a month now and doesn't have lifting shoes I've been considering getting a pair for her and myself maybe (for good atg squatting/calf work), but I really don't know much about them. Angles seem pretty steep on most of the commercial ones and a few people on youtube have said this as well leading me to think I may just make my own pair out of wood and horse stall mat at a shallower angle.

My ankle flexibility is mediocre at best, but my girlfriend's are partly fused so it makes getting to depth hard for her (she can just hit parallel with a wider stance when she has 10lb plates under her heels [which are just under an inch thick]). Makes me wonder if a 1.25-1.5" squat wedge would work well.

hector

Post by hector » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:50 am

SnakePlissken wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:28 am Squat Wedges: anyone have them and/or like them?

Since my girlfriend has been lifting consistently for about a month now and doesn't have lifting shoes I've been considering getting a pair for her and myself maybe (for good atg squatting/calf work), but I really don't know much about them. Angles seem pretty steep on most of the commercial ones and a few people on youtube have said this as well leading me to think I may just make my own pair out of wood and horse stall mat at a shallower angle.

My ankle flexibility is mediocre at best, but my girlfriend's are partly fused so it makes getting to depth hard for her (she can just hit parallel with a wider stance when she has 10lb plates under her heels [which are just under an inch thick]). Makes me wonder if a 1.25-1.5" squat wedge would work well.
If you make your own I'd love to hear your results.

I've never used Squat wedges. But when I switched from low bar squatting with a straight bar to squatting with a SSB I found myself hitting ATG without even thinking about it. Of you have a local gym with a SSB maybe you could try it and see if that would be another option.

Though, after thinking about it, the wedges would be much more space efficient.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:03 am

hector wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:50 am
SnakePlissken wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:28 am Squat Wedges: anyone have them and/or like them?

If you make your own I'd love to hear your results.

I've never used Squat wedges. But when I switched from low bar squatting with a straight bar to squatting with a SSB I found myself hitting ATG without even thinking about it. Of you have a local gym with a SSB maybe you could try it and see if that would be another option.

Though, after thinking about it, the wedges would be much more space efficient.
Well I think buying an SSB is in my future anyway since I keep hearing great things about them and I think my girlfriend would benefit from them well since she doesn't like straight bars for squatting (but is coming around). The depth issue is mainly for her since she has partly fused ankles so hitting depth is a challenge. For me, I got the idea of using wedges from watching a Bald Omni Man video of him doing ATG SSB squats with them. If I make them at home, I already have a lot of spare wood and horse stall mat so it would just be labor I'd put into it.

gtl

Post by gtl » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:16 am

I actually just ordered this to see if it would work as as squat wedge: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NNSGP7V?ps ... ct_details

My wife continues to complain about how tight her hips have been since our 2nd kid last Dec, so I thought I'd see if she liked using a squat wedge. If it doesn't work, I plan on returning it..

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:22 am

gtl wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:16 am

I actually just ordered this to see if it would work as as squat wedge: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NNSGP7V?ps ... ct_details

My wife continues to complain about how tight her hips have been since our 2nd kid last Dec, so I thought I'd see if she liked using a squat wedge. If it doesn't work, I plan on returning it..
Dude you're thinking in 3022. I didnt like that most of the squat wedges were just plastic instead of rubber. Let me know how it goes.

gtl

Post by gtl » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:54 am

SnakePlissken wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:22 am

Dude you're thinking in 3022. I didnt like that most of the squat wedges were just plastic instead of rubber. Let me know how it goes.
Just arrived. It's solid at ~27lbs. Seems like it would work fine. I took pics and made a vid but not sure best way to post it.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:12 am

gtl wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:54 am
SnakePlissken wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:22 am

Just arrived. It's solid at ~27lbs. Seems like it would work fine. I took pics and made a vid but not sure best way to post it.

Legit. This is probably something I'll end up getting anyway. Cheaper than the individual squat wedges too.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:50 pm

I've no useful suggestion(s), but this is something that's been on my meager 2022 wish list for months now.

I mostly just want it for sissy squats, calf raises, and any other accessories that might benefit from a slope, but if I take enough of a liking to a wedge, I might play around with Platz squats.

Originally, I was looking into the guy who makes the slant board(s) that Kneesovertoesguy was touting awhile back, because I have no carpentry skills to speak of, and I think the slant board angles were adjustable (can't remember for sure).

Now I'm leaning towards something cheaper and more space-efficient. I just need to settle on the actual angle I want; 10 to 15 degrees is likely sufficient for my needs, but I'd have to double-check whatever source I got those numbers from.

ETA: This is the slant board I was referring to. Apparently, it's not adjustable, but, from just looking at it, I suspect you could probably make the thing yourself and save $70.00.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:24 pm

Unfinished wood and unpainted pvc? This is starting strength bench levels of DGAF. To be fair, I would paint or finish a DIY one (probably), but I’m also not gonna sell them. Also felt back on a grass sled?

These look cool. Cheaper anyway, and adjustable. I’m not gonna do the math to see how these angles compare to the 24° of the tib factory ones

gtl

Post by gtl » Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:19 am

augeleven wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:24 pm Unfinished wood and unpainted pvc? This is starting strength bench levels of DGAF. To be fair, I would paint or finish a DIY one (probably), but I’m also not gonna sell them. Also felt back on a grass sled?

These look cool. Cheaper anyway, and adjustable. I’m not gonna do the math to see how these angles compare to the 24° of the tib factory ones
https://www.amazon.com/Harderwill-Adjus ... B08JLLC58P
I just don't like the individual ramps/slants/whatever you want to call it. Seems like it adds a challenge to setup with a load.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:36 pm

Just curious, but why does hitting depth matter?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:35 pm

Allentown wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:36 pm Just curious, but why does hitting depth matter?
I’d agree. These wedge deals are kinda moot since you obviously can’t use them for competition, wherein that’s the only place where depth matters. If something is preventing that range of motion, then it’s something that needs to be worked on directly or accepted as a limitation.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:35 am

Like, I'm all for consistency, and I love gym gear. And those would be cool for like, sissy squats and getting a sick quad pump, probably?
Bu I don't really think a special product is necessary to reach an arbitrary target.

FredM

Post by FredM » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:52 am

Allentown wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:35 am Like, I'm all for consistency, and I love gym gear. And those would be cool for like, sissy squats and getting a sick quad pump, probably?
Bu I don't really think a special product is necessary to reach an arbitrary target.
It’s just a useful assistance lol. Candito swears by it.

I also think it’s super functional. With kids I’m literally in a squat on my toes 20-100x a day. Best way to avoid injury is to train movements through the rom you put them through with progressive overload.

I’m hoping rogue puts their recently launched wedges on sale. I’m waiting for that and iron master bench attachments(hamstring curl) I really want the Marrs bar but I can’t justify the cost in this economy.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:32 am

Allentown wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:35 am Like, I'm all for consistency, and I love gym gear. And those would be cool for like, sissy squats and getting a sick quad pump, probably?
It's probably not necessary, but I guess this could all circle back to the age-old argument about the muscular benefits of hitting "proper" depth.

Sure, if you're not competing, then it's probably not all that big of a deal to worry about where your hip crease ends up in the bottom of your squat. But, depending on the goal, the longest possible range of motion might be more desirable -- maybe moreso if you're trying to mitigate arthritis? I dunno.

Also, I reread Snake's original post and realized he was talking about actual shoes, which some might consider a little less superfluous than a wedge of some other sort. I guess if the most economical choice is the way to go, and a wedge is cheaper than a pair of Romaleos, then, sure, why not go that route?
FredM wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:52 amI’m hoping rogue puts their recently launched wedges on sale.
Me too.

As it is, I'd feel like an plumb asshole right now if another Rogue box showed up on my doorstep, with a hundred-dollar pair of triangles in it.