Draft book feed back (not lifting related)

Drafts that may or may not end up as full articles.

Moderator: Chebass88

zappey1

Re: Draft book feed back (not lifting related)

Post by zappey1 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:31 pm

The book is almost done! Finished the last edits and hired an artist. A few more pics and it will be ready.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:52 pm

Do you guys think I should rearrange the book with a more exciting story appearing first?

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:45 am

How do you guys like the art so far?

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:15 am

I just saw this thread. I haven't read your draft yet, but being a history teacher, I'm definitely interested and I didn't want to leave your comments all alone out here in the wild.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:32 am

lehman906 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:15 am I just saw this thread. I haven't read your draft yet, but being a history teacher, I'm definitely interested and I didn't want to leave your comments all alone out here in the wild.
Thanks. Give it a read let me know what you think. I can see people have been reading it but not leaving any feedback.

It is in its final form now. I have rewritten several sections several times. I'm working on the final art with an artist and myself then it is time for amazon publishing.

The only feedback I have gotten recently was from a local friend that suggested I change up the order with one of the more interesting stories first. I thought about this also. But even though it is a collection of short stories I wanted it to follow a traditional story arc. As in Believable stories first to a climax then falling action to a conclusion.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:51 am

Well guys the art is getting done. I would like some feedback on what pics you think work and which ones should get redone. I have had 3 artists working on this project now and am curious what ones you think are looking good and which ones are not.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lQ4 ... sp=sharing

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:29 pm

The cover is done. I'm working on final edits and uploading better quality images. I have a meeting with a publisher tomorrow(that I have to pay for).

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:18 am

The book is ALL done!!!!! Writing is just the first step. Editing and publishing are a whole different nightmare. If you have followed along on this whole process order a copy (available in e-book and paperback) for yourself. I'll keep you guys posted on how sales do. If I make any money I might write a volume 2.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:55 am

I also shut off the google link. If you want to see the final product you will have to buy a copy. Sorry guys

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:09 pm

So Far 39 paperbacks and 2 kindles sales about 200 pages read in Kindle unlimited (I won't know how much I make off that for a few weeks). I ordered 40 author copies. When they get in I'm having a book signing/ reading at a local shop. I also can get a spot at a local farmers market if I have leftover copies.

I'm still in the red but I hope to be in the green by the end of January.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:48 pm

If you guys bought my book please leave an honest Amazon review. It really helps with the algorithms!

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:49 am

I see lots of people still checking this thread. As of today 1/13/22. I have sold 67 copies on amazon. So far about 500 pages have been read in Kindle unlimited. I still have to wait to see how much that will transfer $ into. I hope it is worth while but I guess we will see.

To date I still have not received my wholesale author copies. I order them around Dec 21. They are supposed of been delivered 2 weeks ago but keep getting delayed. I have my first book signing next weekend but if the copies don't arrive I'll have to push that back. I have a 2nd signing set up but I wanted to see how many I sold at the first event before ordering more copies. So far I ordered 40 in 2 shipments but only 1 copy has been delivered! They split up 1 of the shipments with 19 and 1 for some reason.

I have gotten 3 reviews so far that have bumped me towards the top of the search results. In another month I can submit it to Barnes & Nobel for distribution. To get a favorable Amazon algorithm you have to be exclusive to amazon for 60 days. After that you can renew the exclusive deal or try somewhere else.

After the book signings I was going to approach local shop owners and see if they would stock my book. So far that has been hard to do with the delay in my whole sale copies.

Overall I think it has gone better than what I was worried it would do but not as good as I was hoping. After the book signings I should be in the green as far as money invested vs return. But still far behind in the amount of time it took me to finish. Ill see how it is doing towards summer and decide if I want to start a volume 2.

Ill update in a week or so after the book signing event.

Inverstone

Post by Inverstone » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:28 pm

Congrats on your success thus far! It's interesting learning how the Amazon "thang" works in some detail. If you have to cancel the signing I think people will overall be understanding with the current supply shortages/delays, etc.

You could always still hold a reading and take a mailing list (of value later anyway) to mail out hard copies to them, signed later. Of course this ends up costing you more, but it could pay off in the long run via the mailing list or word of mouth. You could include a discount coupon or code for future Xmas gift copies, etc.

These were things we did when releases our CDs at concerts or release parties when the orders were late coming from the manufacturers... keep us informed on how it all goes.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:59 pm

Inverstone wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:28 pm Congrats on your success thus far! It's interesting learning how the Amazon "thang" works in some detail. If you have to cancel the signing I think people will overall be understanding with the current supply shortages/delays, etc.

You could always still hold a reading and take a mailing list (of value later anyway) to mail out hard copies to them, signed later. Of course this ends up costing you more, but it could pay off in the long run via the mailing list or word of mouth. You could include a discount coupon or code for future Xmas gift copies, etc.

These were things we did when releases our CDs at concerts or release parties when the orders were late coming from the manufacturers... keep us informed on how it all goes.
Thanks for the encouragement. The signing is next Saturday so fingers crossed they will come in time. My wife thinks it will be a 2 hour event with a signing then reading then signing more at the end.

I think this is optimistic and 1 hour would probably be enough time

Inverstone

Post by Inverstone » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:34 pm

Zappey, you may be surprised. Once people ask questions, chat with you, share their entire life stories with you, tell you about the book they're gonna write "someday".... it can go longer than you think. Sometimes in a really enjoyable way sometimes...not.

It'll largely be crowd numbers dependent. Real small...an hour. A dozen or more... as long as it's fun.

If people enjoyed the book they'll want to "buy in" on you (the author) so cultivate your fans while you can ;-) and pre-sell your ideas for the next one.

Hope you can get around to a PNW Strongman/lifter, bodybuilder tome (or chapters) in the next one.
(Portland, OR had a few famous bodybuilders and gym owners in the '50s, 60's and beyond. Seattle had a couple of 'em too.

"Break a Leg" at your reading!

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:43 am

I found out how much I made from singing my book up for the kindle unlimited. 305 pages were read this way in December (so about 3 books worth of content). My share of the 40 million they made from that service that month was ...........$1.49 usd :shock:

What the actual Fuck. That is literally robber and I have to stay enrolled for another month. I'm going to draft a firmly worderd email to someone this weekend.

3 paperbacks would have been =$24/ 3 ebooks= $18

So ya that is a pretty crappy pay out!

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:51 am

Oh my bad I actual have to stay in for 90 days of robbery

Inverstone

Post by Inverstone » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:45 pm

Welcome to the world of "artists/authors" :evil:
Our CDs got a fair amount of airplay in Europe and on College/Public radio stations in the U.S. and we only once received a royalty check. Thirty Nine.....Cents! We celebrated by taking ourselves out to dinner.
In the movie "Shakespeare in Love" (a good one by the way), the musicians (band) show up to the castle to play a banquet. The band member passing a table full of food and deserts reaches longingly for something and the guard barks: 'MUSICIANS DON'T EAT!'.

I turned to my wife and said, "Well, nothing's changed in since then!" :cry:
The usual pay at bars/coffee houses in the '70s was $40 for 4 hrs. In the 90's when we got back into performing regularly, the pay had increased to...$40 for 4 hrs. Kept the day jobs.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:23 pm

Inverstone wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:45 pm Welcome to the world of "artists/authors" :evil:
Our CDs got a fair amount of airplay in Europe and on College/Public radio stations in the U.S. and we only once received a royalty check. Thirty Nine.....Cents! We celebrated by taking ourselves out to dinner.
In the movie "Shakespeare in Love" (a good one by the way), the musicians (band) show up to the castle to play a banquet. The band member passing a table full of food and deserts reaches longingly for something and the guard barks: 'MUSICIANS DON'T EAT!'.

I turned to my wife and said, "Well, nothing's changed in since then!" :cry:
The usual pay at bars/coffee houses in the '70s was $40 for 4 hrs. In the 90's when we got back into performing regularly, the pay had increased to...$40 for 4 hrs. Kept the day jobs.
I imagine there is lots of scamming on the Kindle Unlimited going on. They had several disclaimers saying they try to prevent scamming but I imagine it could be very lucrative for overseas. You have some one write a crappy long book sign up 100 burner phones (or 1000s) for kindle select then have people flip through the pages all day. More pages "read"=more money.

I did not think the royalties on the paperbacks and ebooks was to bad. I also think they let me buy wholesale copies at a decent price.

I have a buddy that is writing his second book. The publisher/editor/formator is charging him $5,000 for those services and 300 copies. They also don't promise any distribution.

Talk about highway robbery. He is not expecting to make any money but he is already pretty well off so is not worried.

It is sad that Tiktok stars are out making millions for doing stupid dances while musicians, artist, and writers make pennies. :shock:

Sometimes I still wish I would have gone to art college until I remember that most artist get paid crap!

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:01 pm

Finished the book signing! I sold 15 copies!

Still not in the green but I'm getting very close! I already have another one set up for next month. I should make net money on that one. I also sent an email to an independent local book store. So I'm curious to hear their response.