Fuck The World Log

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

EggMcMuffin

Re: Fuck The World Log

Post by EggMcMuffin » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:09 pm

BP 12 11 8

5 mile run, ankle is all fucked up from running down a mountain. Doesn't feel good at all, probably going to have to take it easy running wise for a little while. At least not anything super fast or long...

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:11 am

Welcome to the fucked up ankle club.

To paraphrase Groucho Marx, it's not a club I am proud to be a member of.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:43 pm

BP 135 12 12 8

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:47 pm

Definitely be kind to that ankle. Compensating for it can cause weird stuff upstream, go east and listen your body

And belated congrats on your half marathon.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:41 pm

anyway I started training for a faster 5k, ran some intervals today. I have no anaerobic capacity whatsoever lol. I tested my mile the other day and ran 7:19 cold, so I'm trying to hit pace for 7:00 during my 400m intervals but it's hard to tell what I'm actually doing so I just go full out. It was raining heavily earlier and it's night so it was a struggle to avoid slipping and or tripping, thus ending my brief and sad life

should be a quick training cycle, last night's 5k was like 23:40 mins~ so I think might be able to crank out a 21 minute 5k in 8 weeks hopefully

Allah Willing my training pace will be in the high to mid 7's afterwards for longer distances

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:15 pm

BP135 12 12 9

5K today

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:36 pm

I think you're one of the few people to run and bench. I know of plenty who run and DL, or even squat. Bench, not so much.

I like it.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:18 pm

BP 135 12 12 10 yesterday

5 mile run today, skipped a 5K yesterday because I was fixing my laptop. It FAILED and now no longer functions, except that it no longer functioned anyway so nothing has changed.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:14 am

BP 135 12 12 11

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:58 am

It sucks going through life with no self confidence. I lost my car/house keys today after trying and failing to install my new hard drive into my new laptop for like 3 hours (for whatever reason, cloning drives does not play nice with NVME M.2 drives) and I about just broke down crying while asking the student librarian if anyone had seen my keys. The only time I feel remotely capable is when I'm running or doing something fitness related and it always strikes me that I'm not even good at that either, but I just keep fucking doing it.

Anyway 5k today, wasn't going to since I got home really late but I don't give a shit about running late at night anymore. 3rd mile had me doing 7:25/mi. I need new shoes but I'm broke as shit compared to the average runner.

DCR

Post by DCR » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:11 am

EggMcMuffin wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:58 am It sucks going through life with no self confidence. I lost my car/house keys today after trying and failing to install my new hard drive into my new laptop for like 3 hours (for whatever reason, cloning drives does not play nice with NVME M.2 drives) and I about just broke down crying while asking the student librarian if anyone had seen my keys. The only time I feel remotely capable is when I'm running or doing something fitness related and it always strikes me that I'm not even good at that either, but I just keep fucking doing it.

Anyway 5k today, wasn't going to since I got home really late but I don't give a shit about running late at night anymore. 3rd mile had me doing 7:25/mi. I need new shoes but I'm broke as shit compared to the average runner.
Did you locate the keys? Regardless, it’s not helpful to beat yourself up over standard fuck ups that everyone makes. We have a very small house, a significant portion of which I don’t even enter, and yet I lose shit constantly. It’s amazing.

I know shit about running, but my understanding from following your log is that you’re quite good at it. Perhaps not extraordinarily good, but the vast majority of people aren’t extraordinarily good at anything (hence that level of ability being… extraordinary).

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:07 am

DCR wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:11 am I know shit about running, but my understanding from following your log is that you’re quite good at it. Perhaps not extraordinarily good, but the vast majority of people aren’t extraordinarily good at anything (hence that level of ability being… extraordinary).
Agreed! Running is really competitive, in that a substantial portion of the population runs and does races. Finishing in the top half at your half marathon really means something. And you don't just have the ability; you trained for it. You were willing to put in consistent effort to get better, and not everyone can say that.

I'm not sure if this will resonate with you the way it did with me, but I've benefited a lot from the Stoic writings and I read this passage from Epictetus over and over again when I'm feeling lost.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:42 am

DCR wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:11 am I know shit about running, but my understanding from following your log is that you’re quite good at it. Perhaps not extraordinarily good, but the vast majority of people aren’t extraordinarily good at anything (hence that level of ability being… extraordinary).
Yeah, this. I trained running for a while, and got my best all-out mile down to around 7:15. I did manage to hit my goal of a sub-2:00 half marathon (got 1:59 and change, something like a 9:03 pace) and I think it would take a *lot* of work to improve either of those. Your times are impressive

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:21 am

I remembered how nice lifting is for taking out a lot of pent up aggression. Everytime I don't deadlift for a while I'm like "aahhhhhh" and then I remember why I liked it so much in the first place. I don't really get that as much from running unless it's a really long distance, and I'm only doing speedwork for 5k's right now.

Kinda sucks being a person with a brain that doesn't really work all that great but I'm glad I atleast found an outlet that makes it somewhat bearable. Been slacking a lot lately on stuff outside of fitness and have to wonder if there's an element of escapism to this where it's not really as healthy for me as it used to be. Running is honestly easy, there's no complicated questions or shit like that and you pretty much just put one foot in front of the other and keep going. It's simple, and life is not.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:40 am

pic share

Yes. I don't know what's up with some of the people running 5K's around here but I would have won 2nd to 5th place with my time looking at the races that I participated in for longer distances. Where are all the former D1 and HS varsity cross country people? Do they just take their enormous cock and 16 minute 5k and fuck off or something or what? Do they all quit? Most of the records are local races hew to what are standard times for collegiate athletes but you'd think there are people that are more competitive out there, especially given where I live.

Are they really just gonna let some weirdo nerd in his maladjusted late 20's beat them!?

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:18 am

In a word? Yes.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:45 pm

22 minutes is a pretty respectable 5k time. The winning times around here are 15-18 minutes, but for a New Year's hangover run or a small charity run with a small field, you could possibly place with a 22 minute 5k.

I like saucony cohesions for running shoes. My current pair has more than 350 miles on them and cost $40. I still use them (in rotation with a couple other pairs) and will consider retiring them around 400 miles

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:19 pm

Apparently Strava says I ran a fucking 5:33 mile during my 3 mile run today. It was clocking my average pace during my intervals yesterday at like 6:40 or something., so I can move my legs kinda fast now. GPS might not be perfectly accurate but it also goes off time and since I know exactly where and when each mile starts and ends on the route that I do for 3 milers out in the park I'm thinking it might actually be close to true. I'm a weakling + slow + go to a diploma mill so I don't want to believe it's true but there's just no fucking way I randomly busted that out. I'm tripping out about it now and want to go test it again tomorrow. When I last tested my 5k I did 7:30 average pace.

I literally just started running and by the end of the mile I was basically just going all fucking out to the point where some strangers kinda looked at me funny. When I looked down and saw my pace was like 4:45 (wtf) and then I hit the spot that I know to be exactly 1 mile (measured off Google Maps) my overall time was about 5:30.

If this was legit I feel a little sad now because I was a complete loser in school but I always loved running in P.E, and it was the only thing I enjoyed. I hated and still hate all the team sports and only was ever interested in lifting weights and running but everyone always discouraged me from the former and it just never occured to me that I could do the latter outside of class, and being a small, skinny bastard I kinda didn't like going outside much anyway. I remember when I was very briefly in track in middle school I was becoming one of the fasted kids in the class. I sometimes wonder what I would have done if I had signed up for cross country like I had always wanted to. If I legit ran 5:30 as a nearly 30 year old man I have to wonder if I have some predisposition for the sport.

It doesn't really matter now though. This is the present. The only thing I can do now is run more.

houzi

Post by houzi » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:48 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:19 pm Apparently Strava says I ran a fucking 5:33 mile during my 3 mile run today. It was clocking my average pace during my intervals yesterday at like 6:40 or something., so I can move my legs kinda fast now. GPS might not be perfectly accurate but it also goes off time and since I know exactly where and when each mile starts and ends on the route that I do for 3 milers out in the park I'm thinking it might actually be close to true. I'm a weakling + slow + go to a diploma mill so I don't want to believe it's true but there's just no fucking way I randomly busted that out. I'm tripping out about it now and want to go test it again tomorrow. When I last tested my 5k I did 7:30 average pace.

I literally just started running and by the end of the mile I was basically just going all fucking out to the point where some strangers kinda looked at me funny. When I looked down and saw my pace was like 4:45 (wtf) and then I hit the spot that I know to be exactly 1 mile (measured off Google Maps) my overall time was about 5:30.

If this was legit I feel a little sad now because I was a complete loser in school but I always loved running in P.E, and it was the only thing I enjoyed. I hated and still hate all the team sports and only was ever interested in lifting weights and running but everyone always discouraged me from the former and it just never occured to me that I could do the latter outside of class, and being a small, skinny bastard I kinda didn't like going outside much anyway. I remember when I was very briefly in track in middle school I was becoming one of the fasted kids in the class. I sometimes wonder what I would have done if I had signed up for cross country like I had always wanted to. If I legit ran 5:30 as a nearly 30 year old man I have to wonder if I have some predisposition for the sport.

It doesn't really matter now though. This is the present. The only thing I can do now is run more.
That is a rapid 1 mile time! Id be curious to see what you can do 1.5miles in. I remember during army PFT we had to do 1.5 miles in under 10:30. My best time ever was 9.01, which haunts me to this day: a sub-9 minute 1.5mile was considered very good, and I was juuuuust 2 seconds away from it.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:17 am

That's pretty fucking good. Holy shit. Keep running. Who cares when you started, you're obviously good at it.