Intra vs. post nutrition to reduce DOMs?

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

Inverstone

Intra vs. post nutrition to reduce DOMs?

Post by Inverstone » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:11 pm

John Meadows and a few other coaches/ sites have said that they'd experienced a reduction in DOMs when introducing EAAs and even just a protein shake intra workout as opposed to only pre-post. Anyone here experienced this (anecdotally) to any kind of reliable degree? Any documentation you can recommend? Thanks.

FredM

Re: Intra vs. post nutrition to reduce DOMs?

Post by FredM » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:19 pm

Inverstone wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:11 pm John Meadows and a few other coaches/ sites have said that they'd experienced a reduction in DOMs when introducing EAAs and even just a protein shake intra workout as opposed to only pre-post. Anyone here experienced this (anecdotally) to any kind of reliable degree? Any documentation you can recommend? Thanks.
I don’t really train hard enough to get DOMS outside of reintroducing a squat variation I haven’t done for weeks. Granites intra workout seems to mildly help with that but I’d hesitate to call it more than placebo.

I still recommend it for a different reason. It’s made a noticeable improvement in hypertrophy to the point my wife has made comments — including on my biceps I don’t train. It’s the only new variable really in my training so I think it’s pretty legit. I also really prefer the idea that I can drink that (the carb and eaa blend) and not worry about my next meal timing as much. Helps my schedule and weight loss too.

Inverstone

Post by Inverstone » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:42 pm

Thanks for your feedback Fred. Sorry I hadn't responded earlier. Have you kept this in your workouts since? I may experiment, not necessarily with Granite's version, in particular. Cheers.

FredM

Post by FredM » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:20 pm

Yeah, it's one of two supplements I plan on staying with -- having experimented with a bunch never re-upping when I didn't see much of a response.

I didn't reorder last week and have done 3 workouts without it and I feel pretty flat. Objectively, my kettlebell swings don't move as high. Other lifts (deadlift, turkish getups) feel heavier. I'm not sure I'd stick with it if I weren't working out in the morning, but I vastly prefer shotting some cold brew then drinking this throughout a workout than trying to squeeze in a small carb/protein meal. Also, as I mentioned, it's more effective than the preworkout, possibly only because I'm starting my warmups about 15 min after the "meal."

But like I said, I did notice some physique gainzzz even when I was taking this in the afternoon with normal pre/post workout nutrition. It's worth the money to me for the morning workouts though because I just generally feel better working out in the morning and I feel better with morning workouts with the intra blend.

I researched alternatives, including creating my own version with cheaper EAAs and cluster dextrin -- With Amazon subscribe/save it's about $53/20 servings. You can probably recreate most of it (cluster dextrin plus EAAs) for $40. The convenience and trust in John/the brand is worth the premium to me. At least for now. Also, even if you're buying a gatorade type drink and mixing it with the cheapest EAAs, if you factor in the cost of the sugary drink (which isn't going to give you the same benefit of cluster dextrin) and still not THAT big of a premium. At least that's what I tell myself.

Inverstone

Post by Inverstone » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:02 pm

Thanks again for the very detailed response. I was originally a morning workout guy, but for a long time now, afternoons about 90 min. after a pre-workout meal. Usually cottage cheese, oats, fruit and 25 grams of protein powder (50 grams total in bowl). I use cold coffee intra workout which has been fine ( I usually go a couple of hours/home gym shed). My recovery is fine but wouldn't mind seeing if I can decrease DOMS a bit more-but...I am in a calorie deficit/cut so who knows how much it might help.
might give it a try sometime in the near future if I can find more positive feedback from "real people". Cheers.

FredM

Post by FredM » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:22 pm

Inverstone wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:02 pm Thanks again for the very detailed response. I was originally a morning workout guy, but for a long time now, afternoons about 90 min. after a pre-workout meal. Usually cottage cheese, oats, fruit and 25 grams of protein powder (50 grams total in bowl). I use cold coffee intra workout which has been fine ( I usually go a couple of hours/home gym shed). My recovery is fine but wouldn't mind seeing if I can decrease DOMS a bit more-but...I am in a calorie deficit/cut so who knows how much it might help.
might give it a try sometime in the near future if I can find more positive feedback from "real people". Cheers.
Nice. Yeah my pre workout when I workout in the afternoon is pretty similar. Overnight oats with whey/cottage cheese/fruit/honey. I started with the intra for the same reason as you -- with two baby boys I've experiemented with just about every workout time/format/schedule to try and maximize my actual volume/time/pleasure for lifting. I was doing 2x/wk with 90+ min workouts for a while and wanted the intra just for the long workout times and figured the expense pretty down in the noise if I'm only doing 2x/wk.

Now I do 5x/wk in the mornings for 35-50 min and will probably experiment with half servings of the intra with this new batch. One thing I noticed with morning workouts though is it doesn't sit super well in an empty stomach. So when I get up I eat about 4 ritz crackers (bonus salt), drink a coldbrew, then start my warmup. I'm not a morning person at all -- and when I started strength training I noticed huge differences in strength between morning and evening workouts -- but strangely, with the intra in the morning there isn't nearly as big as a difference (though still noticeable).

So conclusion -- I think it's worth the money for early morning workouts or 90+ minute workouts. Or just generally having around as a backup for when family or work gets in the way of "optimal" nutrition (i.e. your workout got pushed back 2 hours so now your "preworkout" is 3 hours ago -- just use intra that day). Otherwise it's probably not worth the cash unless lifting/physique is so important to you you don't want to leave anything on the table regardless of cost.

Inverstone

Post by Inverstone » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:35 pm

Thanks again. I was a morning workout/training guy for a long time, but after reading a fair amount of research that afternoon workouts were "optimal" for most trainees (and me being the O.G. poster boy for Not a Morning Person) I switched about 3 years ago and it's worked better for me for focus if nothing else. Being retired helps too, I can get most days' errands/chores out of the way and as I got stronger and the training harder, the "extra"/extended rest 'til afternoon seems to help get quality reps in.

I'm cutting very successfully for another 1-3 months so won't add anything until that's accomplished but we'll see. The DOMs "quality" remains the same for me whether cutting, maintaining or bulking. I have a low pain threshold which is genetic (the kind of person who stubs a toe or whack his hand against something and is paralyzed for a couple of minutes). Yep it's a real thing. My wife is a genealogist of high regard and has shown me the research/data. I think it's likely part of the reason I "hang on" to DOMS a bit longer than I'd like or than buddies who have trained with me...

I guess you and I are the only ones experimenting with Intra workout nutrition here, at the moment? I like using coffee, it works fine so not looking to add any substitute or added stimulants.

Cheers.