Do I need a new rack? If yes, what?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Oldandfat

Do I need a new rack? If yes, what?

Post by Oldandfat » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:00 pm

First off can someone tell me how to post pictures? I’m on Imgur. I’ve played around with the different links and tried the picture thingie in the forums. I’m not just old and fat, I’m also internet dumb. Once I figure out, I’ll post a pic.

So, my rack is 27 years old. Parabody. Love it and I’d hate to replace it as it’s an heirloom piece and will outlive me. It’s done everything Ive needed it to do. It’s 22” depth, flat footed, 1”holes spaced 2/1/2” apart (it works).

It sits on top of 3/8” mat topped with 3/4” mat. Ive weighted it down to keep it in place.

Normally when I replace a product I don’t do so just to have a newer version. Replacement is either when needed (expired service life) or warranted by features I don’t have.

Personally my only gripe with the rack is that it looks “ghetto” being weighed down, and I suppose I could provide a “safety” arguement….. I kinda missed the pins on a press rerack. I was able to rerack and had I not been able to, I’d have dumped the bar. My rack is not tall enough for me to press INSIDE and thus utilizing the safeties.

** full disclosure I don’t need a new rack I’m trying to justify it. Please respond accordingly, lol**

Kidding aside I think it’s a reasonable arguement to be able to press inside the rack.

Further pushing me toward a new rack is the fact my wife is now starting to lift. Many people complain about a 22” depth rack. Ive never in 27 years had an issue hitting the rear posts on a squat walkout. ( I did miss the pins on a rerack a decade ago and actually slightly bent one of the 1” sabers). I think the 22” depth forces good technique on a walk out.

However my wife is hitting the rear pins on her walk out. So now I have a second justification for a new rack that will allow internal pressing AND a walkout for the wife.

To play devils advocate she can squat outside the rack and problem solved. I even squat outside the rack if I’ve left the cups on the outside from the last workout and I’m too lazy to move inside.

I could also buy an edge fitness mono attachment to eliminate walkouts.

Or I could simply wait. I’m confident the wife’s walkout will improve and it’s a non issue. But I still can’t press inside the rack.

I looked at the r3 (rogue). It checks all the boxes (assuming wife will improve her walkout) and is really all I need. Not sure if I can press inside an r3 (welded). I’m leaning towards welded because Allan thrall said so.

Also looking at monster series over monster lite for no reason other than more attachment choice. I’ve actually never needed attachments but wife may want them, and I’m a “leave as many doors open” kinda guy.

Plus I feel better with 1” pins. Current rack is 1” pins and 2 x 2 not even 11 gage. I know 5/8” is fine. But whatever floats my boat.

Also not sure if I should go with a 43” rack. Totally not needed (22” has been fine) but 43” gives me the option of flipdown safeties. THIS would be a nice feature. Do you like the sound of nails on a chalkboard? Have you heard saber safeties? Much worse. Again, first world problems. I think the 1” pin/pipe looks absolutely insane.

30” rack would be fantastic. Perfect size. No flip downs. Not sure if I’d like straps. Pin pipe looks the safest to me even over flip downs as they only go through one hole in the upright.

There’s even a flatfoot monster rack. 24” depth (a wee bit deeper than current) but I worry about having to weight it down. Current rack is light, and monster flatfoot probably weighs as much as my rack + sandbags.

So there it is. Do I bother? If so, r3? Monster? 30, or 43”? Flatfoot? If not bolt to concrete? Or put some plywood down under the mat? (Or just bolt through mat, and into concrete). I was unable to find any reviews of the monster flat foot. Don’t think they sell too many.

Not interested in monster lite (might not be able to press inside.

Only considering rogue at this time. Can’t beat 75 dollar shipping for racks.

One other consideration…. Rogue sells a wall Mount kit for the monster lite series. Eliminated the need to bolt down into floor. Says ml only but I don’t see why it won’t work on infinity series (you’d just have some metal sticking out 1/2” each side) or monster (just use 5/8” bolts instead of 1”).

What would you do?

If I’m being honest the only legit reason to upgrade would be the ability to press inside the rack. I think my wife will stop hitting the uprights on her walk out.

But also being honest, a bitchin monster rack would look great, and I think adding some monos, would be cool.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Do I need a new rack? If yes, what?

Post by mgil » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:13 am

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:52 am

I started skimming about 3/4 of the way through, but it sounds like you have your mind made up... sure, get a new rack for whatever fits your needs hahaha...

After 27 years I'd say your current rack has more than served it's value and if you have the disposable cash why not upgrade?

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:05 am

yeah, get a rack. Basically what mouse said ... no need to justify

In the meantime....
Do you mean the wife is hitting the rear uprights with the plates of the barbell, because she not center, OR she hits the actual barbell against the rear uprights (twisting or something)?

I have a solution for the former (plates touching),
you just put a (spare) plastic collar on the bar right up against the sleeve-collar, before any of the plates go on ....to space the plates outward an even amount. Then collar-up outside the plates like normal.

====================

My gym has some wanna-be-gucci 4" sq. tube fancy uprights, with "L" cut slots for the J-cups.
The out-to-out dimension must be a lot wider than every thing I've used.
That dimension also controls how wide the safety arms are ... my son has hit the safeties (with the bottom of the plates) on a couple occasions going down on a deep squat .... even when we set them at the maximum-low setting to simply get them out of the way. Wide racks are retarded.
I have also bumped uprights walking in and out. That's fucking irritating. (to further bitch: there are two 90 deg overhead legs, that protrude out 12"-18" over the from the front of the rack .... they have fancy anchor points on the outside for suspending elastic bands. Problem is you hit those anchor points when you press a with a 45 on the bar. So you have to walk back 2 or 3 steps instead of one. Heavy presses it sucks.)

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:48 am

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:56 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:05 am
My gym has some wanna-be-gucci 4" sq. tube fancy uprights, with "L" cut slots for the J-cups.
That dimension also controls how wide the safety arms are ... my son has hit the safeties (with the bottom of the plates) on a couple occasions going down on a deep squat .... even when we set them at the maximum-low setting to simply get them out of the way. Wide racks are retarded.
I have also bumped uprights walking in and out. That's fucking irritating. (to further bitch: there are two 90 deg overhead legs, that protrude out 12"-18" over the from the front of the rack .... they have fancy anchor points on the outside for suspending elastic bands. Problem is you hit those anchor points when you press a with a 45 on the bar. So you have to walk back 2 or 3 steps instead of one. Heavy presses it sucks.)
What kind of rack is it?

My Dynamic uprights are massive, but I've never had a problem with bumping the uprights. I did have to put mount the rack on some 2x6 feet to make it tall enough to press an axle bar inside.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:39 am

mgil wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:13 am Best rack for pressing inside of:

https://www.legendfitness.com/product/f ... r-station/
Legend makes some real nice stuff. I’ll get a,quote. Shipping may be expensive.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:42 am

mbasic wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:05 am yeah, get a rack. Basically what mouse said ... no need to justify

In the meantime....
Do you mean the wife is hitting the rear uprights with the plates of the barbell, because she not center, OR she hits the actual barbell against the rear uprights (twisting or something)?

I have a solution for the former (plates touching),
you just put a (spare) plastic collar on the bar right up against the sleeve-collar, before any of the plates go on ....to space the plates outward an even amount. Then collar-up outside the plates like normal.

====================

She,hits the rear uprights on the walk out. Lots of people complain about 24” or less racks because they hit as well. It’s a technique thing and as far as I’m concerned the walk out is lazy if you are hitting (I learned how to,squat in this space so maybe I’m judging too harshly).

We’ve never hit the uprights repacking a bench. Rack is 48-1/2” outside to outside (basically monster or monster lite width)

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:43 am

murphyreedus wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:48 am "All you need"

https://www.mydynamicfitness.com/ultra-pro-power-rack
I looked at these. They are just shy of my 8” ceiling height. If I need anything more than 3/4” stall mat this rack will be too,tall.

Damn nice rack though. Shipping would like;y be lots. Not sure how much the rack itself costs?

I could always buy another house,with 9’ basement, lol.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:05 am

Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:43 am Damn nice rack though. Shipping would like;y be lots. Not sure how much the rack itself costs?

I could always buy another house,with 9’ basement, lol.
Yeah, sitting on the 2x6s mine is at 95.75". You can use the lower top bolt holes for the side-to-side crossmembers and could easily chop 4" off the top of the uprights, but no one wants to buy a $3-4000 rack to cut it up.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:45 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:39 am
mgil wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:13 am Best rack for pressing inside of:

https://www.legendfitness.com/product/f ... r-station/
Legend makes some real nice stuff. I’ll get a,quote. Shipping may be expensive.

Was,thinking I,couldn’t get this into,the basement, but we managed to get a queen mattress and box spring downstairs. Pretty much the same size.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:55 pm

Ah yes the old "well honey I wanted to upgrade the rack for you so long story short we're moving."

oldguy

Post by oldguy » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:04 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:48 am "All you need"

https://www.mydynamicfitness.com/ultra-pro-power-rack
man, I think I am in love with that rack....

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:25 pm

brkriete wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:55 pm Ah yes the old "well honey I wanted to upgrade the rack for you so long story short we're moving."
Lol. Win/win. She gets a new house, I get a new rack.

I’m really diggin the legend racks. Seem to,be well thought out, and priced nice.

Only draw back is no side holes. Can’t use some of the rogue attachments (new mono). But for 27,years I,haven’t really used any. Basic barbell movements for the most part.

And I,just found out my nephew got accepted into fire college!! Very proud right now. I’m thinking I,can hand my,current rack down to him.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:14 pm

@Oldandfat, make sure you check out the Legend accessories available. If you’re thinking of buying any, you can get a better discount buying them all at once with the rack.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:31 pm

Legend even has a “configuration” that you can see what different colors look like.

I’m diggin the “stormtrooper” look! I don’t care for their sandwich cups, but you need to order them to get custom colored accessories.

So I’d prob go with the 3133, or 3177. Add beefy spotters, bar holders and maybe pro front crossmember.?
Also have to get their deadlift Jack. Mines too wide to fit in the rack.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:53 pm

They have a nice adjustable bench also. I’d also add a landmine attachment, an extra set of J hooks, and possibly the band pegs.

ETA:

If you’ve got a sizable amount of cash burning a hole in your pocket, Legend has the Pro Series:

https://www.legendfitness.com/product/p ... r-station/

Those have built in bar and peg storage, as well as an optional bench docking system that’s really nice. Those are basically bomb proof.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:59 pm

mgil wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:53 pm They have a nice adjustable bench also. I’d also add a landmine attachment, an extra set of J hooks, and possibly the band pegs.

ETA:

If you’ve got a sizable amount of cash burning a hole in your pocket, Legend has the Pro Series:

https://www.legendfitness.com/product/p ... r-station/

Those have built in bar and peg storage, as well as an optional bench docking system that’s really nice. Those are basically bomb proof.
Would love to buy the pro series. Only one problem… 8’ ceilings.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:02 pm

Gotcha.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:55 pm

mgil wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:02 pmGotcha.
What do you have? The pro,series,legend?