USAPL new (old) weight classes.

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

USAPL new (old) weight classes.

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:03 pm

USAPL returns to traditional powerlifting weight classes, DOTS points, welcomes all equipment manufactuers (Except METAL still, i'm sure)
Beginning Jan 1 2022.

I'm going to do one meet as a -90 to secure #5 ranking all years M3a USAPL
#4 may well be out of reach, certainly anytime soon.
Great lifter Matt Muccigrosso sits there now with 595kg total, and i expect he will continue to move that mark if he remains in USAPL.
After that i'll just carry on as a very light -100kg
It will be fun moving up those rankings.
Not having a realistic "next" in the -90s would take a lot of the fun out of it for me.
I like having those targets.
I really was looking forward to #10 for the M3a 93s in 2022.
Just 7.5kgs away.
So my final total as a USAPL 93 ends up being 527.5kg for #11 all years M3a.

That #5 feels like a letdown since it's merely because of the shuffle of weights.
But i'll be wanting to snag it anyway.

alek

Re: USAPL new (old) weight classes.

Post by alek » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:16 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:03 pm USAPL returns to traditional powerlifting weight classes, DOTS points, welcomes all equipment manufactuers (Except METAL still, i'm sure)
Beginning Jan 1 2022.

I'm going to do one meet as a -90 to secure #5 ranking all years M3a USAPL
#4 may well be out of reach, certainly anytime soon.
Great lifter Matt Muccigrosso sits there now with 595kg total, and i expect he will continue to move that mark if he remains in USAPL.
After that i'll just carry on as a very light -100kg
It will be fun moving up those rankings.
Not having a realistic "next" in the -90s would take a lot of the fun out of it for me.
I like having those targets.
I really was looking forward to #10 for the M3a 93s in 2022.
Just 7.5kgs away.
So my final total as a USAPL 93 ends up being 527.5kg for #11 all years M3a.

That #5 feels like a letdown since it's merely because of the shuffle of weights.
But i'll be wanting to snag it anyway.
Hey, do you have a link for this information? I'm considering doing my first meet next year, but I really don't want to have to buy a new belt and wrist wraps simply because they're not on an approved list.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:52 pm

@alek As long as the gear meets the specs in the rules, you're good.
Really, this is the case at local/state meets already before the split with IPF.
I used my PAL in both my last meets, and explicitly asked the meet directors at my July meet about it, and it was fine even back then.

As i mentioned, i assume METAL will still be banned as the owner is a demonstrably raciist fuck

Screengrab from USAPL Maine IG story

USAPL President
Timestamped
He waffles a little mentioning "especially at the local level."
But then goes on to say there will be no fees for companies.
I don't see how they would introduce equipment restrictions unless they somehow specifically exclude some company even once the fees are done away with.
Not that USAPL themselves were even the ones levying those fees, that was the IPF.

But again, it has long been the case that the IPF list was only enforced at the regional and national meets.
Maybe some local asshole meet director could have done that in the IPF days.

I'm sure they don't want to give lifters any reason to leave or not join the fed, just because they own a certain brand.
And they are courting sponsors.

I really don't like his communication style sometimes, but i expect it will become even more clear from the top level that the rule now at all levels is if it meets spec, it's fine.

alek

Post by alek » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:50 pm

Thanks, @Wilhelm!

I've got a Pioneer belt and wrist wraps, so that's good to know. I will pick up some knee sleeves, too.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:22 pm

alek wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:50 pm Thanks, @ Wilhelm!

I've got a Pioneer belt and wrist wraps, so that's good to know. I will pick up some knee sleeves, too.

alek

Post by alek » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:57 am

Wilhelm wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:22 pm
alek wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:50 pm Thanks, @ Wilhelm!

Nice!! Thanks!

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:14 am

60 year old powerlifter posted a 562.5kg total in the 83kg class.
But when the weight classes change Jan 1, this total will be in the -90kg class, because he was barely over the new 82.5kg class.
So an easy top 5 USAPL all years Masters 3a in the -90s is off the table for me for now.
Have to settle for top 6 after next meet.
I'm aiming for a 540 to 545kg total at some point late 2022

Very impressive lifter though
I don't know that i'll ever squat that much.
And he's so much lighter than me too.
Kudos to the man
https://www.instagram.com/wongstronggaragegym/?hl=en

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:07 am

@Wilhelm That guy is seriously strong!

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:29 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:07 am @ Wilhelm That guy is seriously strong!
He really is.

I didn't think to look at the 83s lol.
Last edited by Wilhelm on Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisMcCarthy1979

Post by ChrisMcCarthy1979 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:59 am

It will be interesting to see how this.pans out over the next few years...my default hope is that the Fed does well but I also think over time more lifters will drift back over to Powerlifting America, or whatever the hell it's called now...we'll just have to wait and see.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:49 am

ChrisMcCarthy1979 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:59 am It will be interesting to see how this.pans out over the next few years...my default hope is that the Fed does well but I also think over time more lifters will drift back over to Powerlifting America, or whatever the hell it's called now...we'll just have to wait and see.
I don't think that the vast majority of USAPL lifters care anything about the IPF. They care about a "clean" platform. If they aren't using supplements, then they don't want to compete against those that are. However, the elite lifters do care about international competition. Maybe they will continue to lift internationally for some US territory that has an IPF affiliate, or they will all switch to Powerlifting America. If they do make the switch to Powerlifting America, then that could influence the masses. One advantage that the USAPL has is that all the college teams lift under the USAPL. I don't see that changing.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:16 am

@Wilhelm This is pretty interesting.

USAPL's focus on DOTS for masters lifters is pretty interesting. Essentially, they are acknowledging that there aren't nearly as many of us, and thus they are ignoring weight classes for the Masters Pro Card. I think I may follow the same approach. I don't really like the confines of the weight classes. Just get the highest DOTS score that you can. Maybe that score is at a weight of 91 kg. They aren't taking the age coefficient into account, but that is an interesting number too.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:50 am

JohnHelton wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:16 am @Wilhelm This is pretty interesting.

USAPL's focus on DOTS for masters lifters is pretty interesting. Essentially, they are acknowledging that there aren't nearly as many of us, and thus they are ignoring weight classes for the Masters Pro Card. I think I may follow the same approach. I don't really like the confines of the weight classes. Just get the highest DOTS score that you can. Maybe that score is at a weight of 91 kg. They aren't taking the age coefficient into account, but that is an interesting number too.
Since i recently switched to carbs, i notice either i just hold more weight, or my numbers for the new foods are off.

In any case, i was already displeased with the strength loss after just 3 or 4 weeks of cutting.
My state records will all end up in the -100kg class after they adjust.
Minus one when i was 89.9 at weigh in.

I'm already in the top 20 all years for M3 in the -100s, so i'm just going to carry on as i have been, just being around 200lbs+.
And honestly, i have already added muscle/recomped over the last 5 years, so my maintenance weight has gone up a little anyway.

I have a meet i plan on doing March 26th, and no way am i going to cut down to 193 daytime weight to have the margin i'd want for the -90kg class.
As a super light -100, i am free.

I am also kind of excited to see how i add muscle on carbs.
This run to the March meet should be informative.

I don't want to travel to any of the places the pro series meets are being held, and really can't afford it as well as a possible trip to The Arnold for a final.
Lodging is the real killer budget wise.

Whatever my total was at the time of 2021 Raw Nats would have been silver though, for the M3s at -93kg
Maybe if i just keep getting better, my state chair will find a way to sponsor me lol.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:54 am

Wilhelm wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:50 am
JohnHelton wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:16 am @Wilhelm This is pretty interesting.

Since i recently switched to carbs, i notice either i just hold more weight, or my numbers for the new foods are off.

In any case, i was already displeased with the strength loss after just 3 or 4 weeks of cutting.
My state records will all end up in the -100kg class after they adjust.
Minus one when i was 89.9 at weigh in.

I'm already in the top 20 all years for M3 in the -100s, so i'm just going to carry on as i have been, just being around 200lbs+.
And honestly, i have already added muscle/recomped over the last 5 years, so my maintenance weight has gone up a little anyway.

I have a meet i plan on doing March 26th, and no way am i going to cut down to 193 daytime weight to have the margin i'd want for the -90kg class.
As a super light -100, i am free.

I am also kind of excited to see how i add muscle on carbs.
This run to the March meet should be informative.

I don't want to travel to any of the places the pro series meets are being held, and really can't afford it as well as a possible trip to The Arnold for a final.
Lodging is the real killer budget wise.

Whatever my total was at the time of 2021 Raw Nats would have been silver though, for the M3s at -93kg
Maybe if i just keep getting better, my state chair will find a way to sponsor me lol.
I think that you are going to be carrying a few pounds of water weight by default, it's attached to the glycogen that you weren't carrying in ketosis. Not much you can do to get around that, 2 water molecules for every glycogen molecule in your system.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:12 am

@Hardartery
Yeah, and all my most recent meets i've weighed in over 90kg while full on keto as it is.

No sense in fighting it, especially as i seem to be stronger where i am.
Looking forward to the March meet.
It will be interesting to see how training goes with the change.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:24 am

Wilhelm wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:12 am @Hardartery
Yeah, and all my most recent meets i've weighed in over 90kg while full on keto as it is.

No sense in fighting it, especially as i seem to be stronger where i am.
Looking forward to the mrrch meet.
It will be interesting to see how training goes with the change.
Maybe you'll get "Swole", lol. I think your lifting will take a jump up, partly from the slight weight gain but mostly because of the glycogen. I can feel a difference between keto power and glycogen, and the glycogen feels beeter for lifting. I think it gices a little more cushion in the joints with that water and the energy just feels better recovering from one set to the next. I don't seem to cut fat as well with carbs, thus I am back in keto for a few weeks.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:38 am

@Wilhelm I really wasn't talking as much about earning the Masters Pro Card (that is a really high bar and a bit of a pain in the rear), but more with regard to the mindset that weight classes matter less and DOTS matters more. It looks like you rank #11 among all M3s for 2021. That is damn impressive. I'm 78th for the M1s. Not as impressive.

https://openpowerlifting.org/rankings/r ... 60-69/2021

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:51 am

JohnHelton wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:38 am @Wilhelm I really wasn't talking as much about earning the Masters Pro Card (that is a really high bar and a bit of a pain in the rear), but more with regard to the mindset that weight classes matter less and DOTS matters more. It looks like you rank #11 among all M3s for 2021. That is damn impressive. I'm 78th for the M1s. Not as impressive.

Indeed, RE: DOTS
And there are more M1s, and they lift more, so there's that ; )

Awards at our state meets are based on DOTS now too.
They also are splitting best lifter into heavyweights (-90kg and up) and lightweights.
It's concievable i could compete head to head with the younger lifters for a bronze in heavyweight depending on who shows up.
Probably not at the State Championship in March, but it would be nice to get a medal like that at some point
Not like just 3rd of 3 either.
As my total and DOTS go up, my chances get better for that.
I'm hoping a lot of masters show up for the March meet.
If there are enough, they will have a Best Masters medal.
I'd like that.

There are a lot of killers at 82.5kg here it seems.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:43 am

Wilhelm wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:51 am
JohnHelton wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:38 am @Wilhelm I really wasn't talking as much about earning the Masters Pro Card (that is a really high bar and a bit of a pain in the rear), but more with regard to the mindset that weight classes matter less and DOTS matters more. It looks like you rank #11 among all M3s for 2021. That is damn impressive. I'm 78th for the M1s. Not as impressive.

Indeed, RE: DOTS
And there are more M1s, and they lift more, so there's that ; )

Awards at our state meets are based on DOTS now too.
They also are splitting best lifter into heavyweights (-90kg and up) and lightweights.
It's concievable i could compete head to head with the younger lifters for a bronze in heavyweight depending on who shows up.
Probably not at the State Championship in March, but it would be nice to get a medal like that at some point
Not like just 3rd of 3 either.
As my total and DOTS go up, my chances get better for that.
I'm hoping a lot of masters show up for the March meet.
If there are enough, they will have a Best Masters medal.
I'd like that.

There are a lot of killers at 82.5kg here it seems.
I don't think I will focus as much on records. I would like to crack the 90th percentile in DOTS among all-time M2 lifters...and go from there.