Who uses belts and straps? (Deadlifts)

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Oldandfat

Who uses belts and straps? (Deadlifts)

Post by Oldandfat » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:06 am

I sometimes wear a belt. But Im Fat and I can’t breathe properly. So any harm in no belt? 3 plates+. Still bracing.

Straps? I’m using hook grip but I hate it. Starting to take away focus on the movement.

Never gonna compete. Any one using straps all the time?

I use the belt on everything g else

mbasic

Re: Who uses belts and straps? (Deadlifts)

Post by mbasic » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:43 am

I feel its much easier to the get into nice back extension beltless.

Hook is nice, but not a requirement for training.
If not competing, there is no point to mixed or hook really (IMO).
... about the only reason I can think of to keep "that" in your tool box, is if you get
caught off guard (say traveling at a foreign gym, etc) and don't have your straps that day.
Say you don't have chalk, or run into weird-O 32mm bar ... knowing mixed/hook would be nice.
I guess taking up mixed out-of-nowhere like this (not regularly practiced) might put your bicep at risk.
If you haven't been regularly hooking, I'd imagine hooking one day out-of-nowhere is going to be painful.

But if lifting at home, or you always have your gym bag, I really see no reason to mess around with mixed-grip,
or maintain the pain-de-sensitivity for hookgrip.....and just use straps.

When I was deadlifting heavier, I only hooked warm-ups, and the one single top set (either the "x1@8", or say the top set of fahive).
After that, all backoff sets and/or volume was done strapped.

Hookgrip sux for RDLs.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:46 am

I use straps pretty much all the time. I don’t care too much about grip strength I pull double overhand for some of my warmups, but above 365 I switch to straps. I’ll hook top singles for a couple of weeks if I’m thinking about maxing out powerlifting style. Also every once in a while I’ll pull a single double overhand to see where my grip strength is. Deadlifting is supposed to be fun. Hook grip isn’t fun.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:58 am

I wear my belt all sets squat and DL
From empty bar to top singles and worksets.
I like the reps to feel as much the same as possible all the time.

Hook when DOH gives out, but only up to top single, then straps for worksets.
Just did 3 months of SSPT style all singles twice a week, so those were all hook.

I do wear my belt 1/2" looser (PAL) for deadlifts than for squats.
I also push the belt down more on hips and in the front center for squats.

It's just a fraction of an inch difference though.
Last edited by Wilhelm on Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:01 pm

I've never used a belt before. No particular reason why, though I had a decidedly minimalistic mindset when I first started out, and wanted to keep the expenses of a "hobby" to a minimum.

I sweet-talked the guy in charge of my neighborhood YMCA into acquiring a belt for the weight room, knowing full well that I was usually the only person in the gym on a given evening. Eventually he presented me with this very flimsy velcro belt, which I pretended to use for one squat session, out of politeness. After that, I was like, "Fuck it. I'll keep going without the belt."

Took me a long time to come around to straps for a similar reason (I liked the "Come as you are" approach of going into the gym without any equipment besides a water bottle).

Since I lift at home now and have the room to accumulate more tools that don't require constant transport, I use straps pretty often now -- almost always for snatch-grip stuff, and occasionally for RDL assistance stuff. Hookgrip for RDL really is a test of patience.

I've decided to "preserve" my hookgrip for conventional deads, maybe because I went through the trouble of building up the required tolerance. I dunno. I don't mind hooking unless my thumbnails get all bloody and obnoxious.

I've no real reason not to use straps for conventionals. I just simply don't bother.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:28 pm

I’ve been DBLOH up until the workset, then hook. Always thought build as much grip as possible.

I’ve tried tape. I always use,chalk. And I have the rogue deadlift bar. It’s thinner. (I have,small stubby sausage fingers so even getting a proper hook is difficult.

Yes, hook grip sucks. I always have straps. Guys at work tease me about my work out bag. Full of collars, wedges, speed straps, figure 8 straps, timers, etc.

As for belts I’m doing slow squats so no belt. I wear a 4” for squats. 3” for deadlifts and I try and wear it higher, and looser. Still makes it difficult.

Is the belt THAT important or is it more to “remind” you to breathe and brace? I can use a belt for a heavy single. But a set of 5 and I’m breathing hard (I know we’re supposed to be) and sometimes have to take a quick breath at the top and bottom as well.

Also looking into,the iron Mind grip training stuff to possibly extend my DBLOH grip.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:58 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:28 pmI’ve been DBLOH up until the workset, then hook. Always thought build as much grip as possible.
I use DOH during warm-ups, up to 315. I usually move up to 365 for the next warm-up set, and at that point I start hooking. No idea at what weight my DOH actually starts to fail, though I've very slowly been able to increase reps at 315 with DOH. Not sure if that's a sign of measurable progress.
Oldandfat wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:28 pmIs the belt THAT important or is it more to “remind” you to breathe and brace?  I can use a belt for a heavy single. But a set of 5 and I’m breathing hard (I know we’re supposed to be) and sometimes have to take a quick breath at the top and bottom as well.
I'd like a "definitive" answer as well.

When I PR-ed my deadlift last year, I sent a video to a young guy I used to work out with when he was training for a powerlifting meet in high school. His response was something like, "You've come a long way. But I'mma need you to start wearing a belt."

I didn't ask him why he thought so, but my assumption was that he thought a belt offers some protection for the back at heavier loads. I've read opinions on both sides of the argument, but was always under the impression that, while a belt might help increase intra-abdominal pressure to create more force, it won't necessarily protect your spine any more than "unassisted" bracing. Smarter minds would know better, though.

After getting the aforementioned feedback on my PR pull, I did more reading and this thread (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1174) was helpful when I revisited the possibility of acquiring a belt.
Oldandfat wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:28 pmAlso looking into,the iron Mind grip training stuff to possibly extend my DBLOH grip.
Not a bad idea at all. Thinking back, I probably settled for hookgrip after losing patience with trying to strengthen my grip with dedicated training.

I wanna try that Rolling Thunder thing one day.

Skander

Post by Skander » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:00 pm

I only deadlift with straps. I only deadlift a few times a year at this point, but yeah, prefer not worrying about grip strength, and I don't want to mixed grip it. I'm pretty sure I've hooked into the 400s just not paying attention, but straps are more pleasant and I can focus on the main movers. I mostly do Olympic lifts and so my heavier clean work is always strapless, so I get some grip work there.

Another good reason for straps is that it's humid af here and sometimes no amount of chalk helps anymore.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:00 pm

I think more people deadlift without a belt than squat without one.

Reading several people on r/powerlifting expressing this preference.
They don't think they get that much out of the belt for DL, or than it even hinders them and they end up lifting less weight.

Mine fits me well and doesn't interefere with my set up.
4" 13mm Pioneer lever.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:10 pm

Skander wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:00 pmI mostly do Olympic lifts and so my heavier clean work is always strapless, so I get some grip work there.

Another good reason for straps is that it's humid af here and sometimes no amount of chalk helps anymore.
For cleans (and other Olympic lifts), are you using straps the way one would "normally" use them for deadlifts and other slow pulls? Sometimes I find that straps restrict my wrists more than I'd like for high pulls and such. They fuck with the rotation, though I've never done a full Oly lift (my shitty cleans don't count).

And yeah, the humidity... that's what drove me to straps. Got tired of dropping SGDLs.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:12 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:00 pm I think more people deadlift without a belt than squat without one.

Reading several people on r/powerlifting expressing this preference.
They don't think they get that much out of the belt for DL, or than it even hinders them and they end up lifting less weight.

Mine fits me well and doesn't interefere with my set up.
4" 13mm Pioneer lever.

I have a dominion 3”, and pioneer 13mm, 4”. Was thinking maybe a thinner pioneer? 6.5?

Or maybe lose my gut?

I had to redo everything after a pinched nerve. Weights are back to heavy again. So maybe I just need to adapt. I don’t recall being completly gassed after deadlifts. Winded, yes.

Skander

Post by Skander » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:18 pm

Renascent wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:10 pm
Skander wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:00 pmI mostly do Olympic lifts and so my heavier clean work is always strapless, so I get some grip work there.

For cleans (and other Olympic lifts), are you using straps the way one would "normally" use them for deadlifts and other slow pulls? Sometimes I find that straps restrict my wrists more than I'd like for high pulls and such. They fuck with the rotation, though I've never done a full Oly lift (my shitty cleans don't count).

And yeah, the humidity... that's what drove me to straps. Got tired of dropping SGDLs.
Yeah, I have simple circle or oval style straps (a piece of webbing with the ends sewn together), loop them around the bar, and hold on tight. I have never been bothered during high pulls for either style. I'm not sure how the height would change it for me.

Yeah I don't get how people do SGDLs with heavy weights with no straps. The angles become too tricky too quickly and grip would be too much of a limiting factor on that.

James

Post by James » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:24 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:28 pm Is the belt THAT important or is it more to “remind” you to breathe and brace?
I don't know about important but a belt gives your trunk muscles something to push against increasing pressure and torso rigidity. Which let's you lift more.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:55 pm

James wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:24 pm
Oldandfat wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:28 pm Is the belt THAT important or is it more to “remind” you to breathe and brace?
I don't know about important but a belt gives your trunk muscles something to push against increasing pressure and torso rigidity. Which let's you lift more.
That’s what I mean. Does the belt provide the pressure or does it provide the feedback? Maybe a little bit of both?

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:25 pm

For lifters with a waist circumference larger than the top of their pelvis or bottom of their ribcage (most recreational powerlifters) this is physically impossible and therefore false. In these individuals (which based on user name include the OP), the only muscle which can push against the belt is the diaphragm.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:03 pm

Use/wear whatever you are comfortable with, seeing as you are not planning on competing.
I have multiple sets of straps, I use them on heavier stuff or sets where I don't want to reset grip. I typically lift in high humidity and high heat and if I was to compete again it would be Strongman, so straps are allowed.
Belts. I don't use one. Pretty much ever. I have ALWAYS lifted less with it on. I may give it another go at some point wearing it high up at the top of the abs/bottom of the pecs. I have a bone spur there and the belt might provide me some useful bracing at that location. Maybe. Always wearing a belt is asking for a back injury, IMO. Belts are for lifting more. They provide something to push against and increase diaphragm pressure, no matter your waist circumference, and this is helpful for the vast majority of people wanting to lift more. A belt exists to help you lift more, it is literally the opposite of a safety device. Anyone that says different is delusional or lying to justify using a belt (As if justification is required).
So, I reccomend straps. They are handy even if you only use them when you are injured or overworked on grip.
Ironmind makes excellent products, the Rolling Thunder is great fun and they do the original Axle replica. Good stuff and the owner is a nice guy. Bending nails and closing grippers is fun too.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:18 pm

Hardartery wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:03 pmAlways wearing a belt is asking for a back injury, IMO. Belts are for lifting more. They provide something to push against and increase diaphragm pressure, no matter your waist circumference, and this is helpful for the vast majority of people wanting to lift more. A belt exists to help you lift more, it is literally the opposite of a safety device.
When you say a belt is the opposite of a safety device, are you referring to the increased risk of injury from lifting what might be otherwise considered "supramaximal" weight (if you were to lift the same weight beltless)? Or do you mean that heavy reliance on a belt would interfere with strengthening your midsection?

James

Post by James » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:34 pm

Philbert wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:25 pm
For lifters with a waist circumference larger than the top of their pelvis or bottom of their ribcage (most recreational powerlifters) this is physically impossible and therefore false. In these individuals (which based on user name include the OP), the only muscle which can push against the belt is the diaphragm.
You're saying since there's fat between the belt and the muscles the muscles can't create pressure against the belt.

That's an incredibly stupid statement.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:34 pm

I just watched a newer BBM you tube video. Austin, and Jordan don’t wear belts until mid 5’s/600.

Does,that mean it’s ok for most, or is it because they are very strong, and don’t need the belt until?

I also noticed Jordan takes,a bottom, AND top breath when things get heavy. Hes also using straps, although,he’s doing a slower controlled lowering.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:39 am

The belt can help you lift more, but it doesn’t keep you safe. It’s there to provide counter pressure against your braced core.
Hot take: it’s hard to breathe at the bottom of a deadlift rep if you are big bellied. Since I no longer look for approval from the Internet Lifting Ways and Means committee, I pull mostly touch and go, breathing at the top of the rep, where my lungs aren’t being crushed to death. I don’t bounce the bar (that I’m aware of) and since I’m in control of the negative I get more time under tension, less noise, and I’m less scared of destroying my concrete floor. I’m also nowhere near as strong as (anybody?) the BBM peeps.