Controlling Athlete's Weight (class)

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

mbasic

Controlling Athlete's Weight (class)

Post by mbasic » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:43 am

I would like to hear your thoughts on this? Not Strength-Sports perse, but "Sports".

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2021/1 ... ntage.html

I mean, they ARE college athletes (grown adults). I kinda wanna say, this is alright ... and you wanted to go to an elite T&F XC program? so well ...this is how it is. I give a slight pass if they were blind sided by this, and didn't know that this was a thing (elite colligate trainers controlling athlete body weights / BF% ).

-------------------------

If this were high school, yeah fuck, its crazy.
Wrestling comes to mind...more of a boy problem I suppose, so no one really cares.

Offensive lineman? supposed to be "hoggs"? and weigh a lot no matter what.
...same thing , boys, who cares if this sends the already heavy kid down the road of a lifetime of sever obesity ....when his prospects at college-ball don't pan out .... and he's left at 6'2"/300# w/ only 405#x5RM squat or something.

5hout

Re: Controlling Athlete's Weight (class)

Post by 5hout » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:19 pm

"Coaches must be careful never to suggest or require changes in weight or body composition" Pardon? This seems like a great rule for everyone to have, and then no one to follow. Come back from an off-season with a spare tire? Recruit a person with the understanding they are expected to fill into a role? Athlete at bottom of weight class instead of at top? If I wasn't so convinced this wasn't going to be routinely ignored I'd think they were off their rocker.

"“I had athletes express to me a feeling like they needed to be compliant with coaches’ wishes in order to maintain their scholarships and be able to compete in the important races,” the former employee said" Pardon? It's not like the coaches are suddenly going to let people slack off, they're just going to use less clear decision models and the end result will be athletes feeling like they don't know what the wishes are exactly.

"“He never was responsive to my attempts to clarify the nature of body composition and how it relates to athletic performance.”" Maybe because, in context, he thought your questions were an idiotic waste of time and an attempt to bait him into saying shit that you were going to repeat to the media?

5hout

Re: Controlling Athlete's Weight (class)

Post by 5hout » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:13 am

https://stillmed.olympics.com/media/Doc ... n-2021.pdf

They money section is here:

As an imgur because, in a classic bad faith move, you can't copy-paste from the pdf and it doesn't OCR through cheap OCR software.