Power Clean

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

Hardartery

Re: Power Clean

Post by Hardartery » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:37 am

Cellist wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:00 am If done well, muscle snatches are cleans are really good for improving the upper body mechanics in the turnover and keeping the bar in close. Lasha does them every workout and warmup, either from the hang or floor. When you get the bar up around the shoulder, you're leaning back by bending at the knee. Ideally, weightlifters maintain an extended knee in the muscle snatch and maybe overextend some at the hip. The same thing is going on in the clean: instead of the elbows turning around the bar, the bar makes an arc and you lean back at the knee. I know you said your grip width is dictated by the log implement, but with your size, I think you would have to put your hands further apart to get a decent rack position. I suppose it's just the same way lifting stones isn't going to let you get in perfect DL position.
I have been doing the Muscle Snatches at the beginning of any overhead work, but 100% as a shoulder warmup. I use the bar to stretch everything by letting it drift backwards while locked out. It's about the only way I can achieve a rack position, and I certainly cannot do that with a narrow grip without a lot of stretching and warmup. I cannot really achieve bar position lower than Bradford Press height BTN, maybe with more weight but then maybe I tear something. I should clarify, I have been using the grip width that mimics log width, but I am not saying that I need to necessarily. I see your point with grip and transfer, I experimented a little with grip yesterday. I am thinking that my upper back is lacking, and I need to adjust to work it better, hopefully that will help with the shoulders by balancing them a little more.