Equipment for beach

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Hardartery

Re: Equipment for beach

Post by Hardartery » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:35 am

Renascent wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:29 am
Oldandfat wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:30 am All my bars are bare steel. It gets humid here in the summer.

I give my bars a quick brush with a nylon brush after every workout. No rust, no issues.
I might've been a little late with the brushing, and I don't use chalk, so it didn't appear to help me much, from what I could tell.

The 3-in-1 oil seemed more useful, though -- again -- I wasn't very proactive about oiling the bar until I noticed the rust on other things. And it also smells like furniture polish, which is nice, I guess. It's a chemical lemon-y smell; it's nice.

I'd probably need to use the wire wheel trick at this point for any meaningful restoration, though the oxidation doesn't look as bad as it could after a year and a half.

@puddingface, thanks for the detailed info. I've seen nickel composites mentioned in a small number of reviews, but nobody ever mentioned the pros and cons beyond whether or not they find it pretty and such (I think Kabuki offers some kind of nickel coating, though I couldn't glean the purpose behind it beyond supposed hardening properties?)...

Are site boxes designed specifically to keep moisture out?
Site boxes do not keep moisture out. They can sometimes trap it inside, depending on condensation, in my exerience with job sites and tools.
Nickel plating is chroming it minus the last step. Less shiny, but scratch resistant and somewhat rust resistant.
If you wire brush the oil into the rust you will find that a lot if it will wipe off with a rag.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:09 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:30 am All my bars are bare steel. It gets humid here in the summer.

I give my bars a quick brush with a nylon brush after every workout. No rust, no issues.
I might've been a little late with the brushing, and I don't use chalk, so it didn't appear to help me much, from what I could tell.

The 3-in-1 oil seemed more useful, though -- again -- I wasn't very proactive about oiling the bar until I noticed the rust on other things. And it also smells like furniture polish, which is nice, I guess. It's a chemical lemon-y smell; it's nice.

I'd probably need to use the wire wheel trick at this point for any meaningful restoration, though the oxidation doesn't look as bad as it could after a year and a half.

@puddingface, thanks for the detailed info. I've seen nickel composites mentioned in a small number of reviews, but nobody ever mentioned the pros and cons beyond whether or not they find it pretty and such (I think Kabuki offers some kind of nickel coating, though I couldn't glean the purpose behind it beyond supposed hardening properties?)...

Is,it actual rust or is it just that petunia that develops? Even if you don’t use chalk I’d still give the bar a quick brush with a dollar store nylon brush after ea@PuddingFace

The only time I e used 3 n 1 is for the bushings.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:36 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:09 pm

Is,it actual rust or is it just that petunia that develops? Even if you don’t use chalk I’d still give the bar a quick brush with a dollar store nylon brush after ea@PuddingFace

Nah, it's rust. Not a lot of it, but it seemed to spread after some lengthy rains a few weeks ago. Inside temperature dropped way down, outside temperatures went way up. Moisture got trapped, and anything made of metal got wept all over.

The bar does have a slight patina, but it has a black oxide finish, so that was going to happen eventually.

The brush and the oil were purchases I made from Rogue to get free shipping on a wrist roller and an ab strap.

The rust itself wasn't much of a concern to me before, but the shit started getting all over my hands and clothes after that last go-round. Got tired of washing my hands between sets.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:02 pm

Renascent wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:36 pm
The rust itself wasn't much of a concern to me before, but the shit started getting all over my hands and clothes after that last go-round. Got tired of washing my hands between sets.
That's the point at which trade-offs come into play. I hate transferring the rust to everything else accidentally with my hands. I'm going to throw out another option for you. If you get the bar all cleaned off and degreased, you can apply gun bluing to it. I'm not a gun guy, but I know it's out there, and it dries and stays on the bar while protecting it. It does rub off over time, but so does virtually everything else.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:06 pm

Hardartery wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:02 pm
That's the point at which trade-offs come into play. I hate transferring the rust to everything else accidentally with my hands. I'm going to throw out another option for you. If you get the bar all cleaned off and degreased, you can apply gun bluing to it. I'm not a gun guy, but I know it's out there, and it dries and stays on the bar while protecting it. It does rub off over time, but so does virtually everything else.
I came across that suggestion elsewhere a little earlier today. Somebody used it to create sort of a barrier coat for a bar with cerakote on the shaft and sleeves.

Currently looking into it.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:41 pm

Hardartery wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:35 am

Site boxes do not keep moisture out. They can sometimes trap it inside, depending on condensation, in my exerience with job sites and tools.
Nickel plating is chroming it minus the last step. Less shiny, but scratch resistant and somewhat rust resistant.
If you wire brush the oil into the rust you will find that a lot if it will wipe off with a rag.
In that case, no site box. Or maybe fit a rubber seal to the closure?

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:26 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:09 pm

Nah, it's rust. Not a lot of it, but it seemed to spread after some lengthy rains a few weeks ago. Inside temperature dropped way down, outside temperatures went way up. Moisture got trapped, and anything made of metal got wept all over.

The bar does have a slight patina, but it has a black oxide finish, so that was going to happen eventually.

The brush and the oil were purchases I made from Rogue to get free shipping on a wrist roller and an ab strap.

I haven’t needed to try this but maybe it’s w@PuddingFace[@PuddingFace

https://www.ironmind-store.com/Sentry-M ... uddingFace

They sell bare steel bars so maybe it’s worth a shot?

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:27 pm

Try again

https://www.ironmind-store.com/Sentry-M ... /1285%2DM/

Not sure what’s wrong with the forum

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:28 pm

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:05 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:26 pmThey sell bare steel bars so maybe it’s worth a shot?
Thanks. I'll keep this suggestion in my back pocket, as I seem to be pretty much set on a bare steel bar, in spite of my local climate.