Front Squats!

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

SnakePlissken

Front Squats!

Post by SnakePlissken » Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:25 pm

Been getting into Front Squats. On the stupid questions thread I got some tips for them, but I really feel like I just need people to criticize my videos and let me know what's wrong.

These are separate sets, but first video is the from the front, other from the side. I feel like my legs have the power and have been trying to cue raising my shoulders up (which is odd instead of hips), but I feel like I'm having a hard time just staying upright when I'm at the bottom and my upper back/shoulders don't feel comfortable supporting the bar.

damufunman

Re: Front Squats!

Post by damufunman » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:10 pm

These look pretty good to me. If you can get your knees forward a bit more that might get you more upright, looks like you have longish femurs. Possibly more narrow stance with knees outward more may help in that regard. Having said that, I don't think you need to be more upright.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:34 am

damufunman wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:10 pm These look pretty good to me. If you can get your knees forward a bit more that might get you more upright, looks like you have longish femurs. Possibly more narrow stance with knees outward more may help in that regard. Having said that, I don't think you need to be more upright.
I can probably make a more narrow stance if my knees fly out at like a 45deg angle, but the knees forward part is gonna need stretching. I run out of real estate in these vids in that respect. I might *gasp* try actually stretching daily while I'm out of town and try some in my Reload week first of January.

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:01 pm

@SnakePlissken, I don’t see at all that you need to be any more upright and think these look good. If you must, I can see a narrower stance with knees more forward helping too, but I think what’s impeding that is how far out/spread they are, as a natural consequence of your feet being turned way the fuck out. I mean, take me and my trash squat with a giant grain of salt, but maybe try bringing your foot angle in a bit and see what happens.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:40 pm

These are fine. As you progress them, you’ll get better as your quads pick up the slack. The sensation of not being upright enough or your upper back starting to round begins with the quads not doing their job.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:33 am

I forgot about this thread and now that I've been working my Front Squat as my primary Squat these have gotten so much better. Still feels a bit awkward but watching myself doing this a year ago Vs now is way different. Turns out I just needed to get some practice under my belt and a hair bit more flexibility achillies.