The Dumbest Boxing Match Ever

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

mouse

The Dumbest Boxing Match Ever

Post by mouse » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:41 am

Hafthor V Eddie is tomorrow...

Anybody actually gonna watch?

The dumb pre match hype/arguing is reaching peak stupidity and I can't seem to avoid it.

Hafthor threw a delicious Reign at me and it got my kid wet so here's a picture of me consoling him, he is gonna pay!

Hardartery

Re: The Dumbest Boxing Match Ever

Post by Hardartery » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:36 am

mouse wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:41 am Hafthor V Eddie is tomorrow...

The dumb pre match hype/arguing is reaching peak stupidity and I can't seem to avoid it.

Hafthor threw a delicious Reign at me and it got my kid wet so here's a picture of me consoling him, he is gonna pay!
Nope. Don't care. Eddie is going to lose, and no one will care except a few fan boys in the UK. I don't get the love affair some peole seem to have with him, he pretty much seems like a dick all of the time. You'd think he'd be a little less insecure at some point and act like an adult.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:21 am

I bet my friends $40 on Thor. They were convinced Eddie would easily win. Okay put your $$ where your mouth is.

Not sure I'm going to watch it as it is on at like 1:30 pm here. I have to many kids for all that. Maybe watch a relplay later.

If Eddie losses bad there goes his tough guy persona

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:10 pm

Yeah I'm kinda thinking I'll just YouTube it after myself...

Kinda don't feel like not supporting this farce even though they made it free...

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:30 pm

Hardartery wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:36 am

Nope. Don't care. Eddie is going to lose, and no one will care except a few fan boys in the UK. I don't get the love affair some peole seem to have with him, he pretty much seems like a dick all of the time. You'd think he'd be a little less insecure at some point and act like an adult.
I want Thor to win simply because Eddie pisses me off.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:41 pm

Currently watching daredevil season 1 for the third time - Thought to myself why not check out the fight, maybe marginally more entertaining?
Apparently Segi.tv has “crashed”. Or… Thor and Eddie are sitting on a couch laughing as they count their money, while Stanley Kubrick finishes the post-production on their “fight”.

Wake up, sheeple!!

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:16 pm

I got bored and checked the link

After some research on FB it seems that it's been crashing and even through they advertised a 4:30 start, it's now 5:15 and they're just playing some band and a bunch of sponsor ads...

Thrilling

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:05 pm

Forgot about this, remembered at like 5:40, decided to try the link fully expecting it to be over already. Turns out it was only round 3 and Eddie looked like he was about to drop dead from exhaustion and couldn't keep his hands up. Seemed like Thor could have ended it at any time, I was starting to think they must have told him to make sure it goes 6 rounds. But then it ended without a KO. Haven't announced the winner yet but it has to be Thor based on what I saw. Boring as fuck, glad I only wasted 30 minutes on it.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:26 am

I actually thought it was entertaining in that it was a person who spent about a year learning to box against a guy that looked like a drunk ogre. Eddie has probably been in fights as a kid and just relied on that, but throwing overhands constantly is so easy to block and counter with a hook I just wanted Thor to pull it off. Eddie made himself into more of a laughing stock from that event and if I was him I'd be embarrassed by that shit.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:28 am

I honestly thought it was better than expected. It was also closer than I expected. Thor clearly won but I thought it was going to be all him. Eddie had a few moments.

I did get the impression They were both drawing it out. Maybe they got a bonus if it went the distance? It was still billed as an exhibition match. So who knows the conditions agreed upon.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:23 am

I know absolutely fuck all about boxing but I watched the highlights and Eddie looked like he knew absolutely fuck all about boxing...

The Eddie Hall Marge Lean wins my pick for meme of the week...

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:44 am

mouse wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:23 am I know absolutely fuck all about boxing but I watched the highlights and Eddie looked like he knew absolutely fuck all about boxing...

The Eddie Hall Marge Lean wins my pick for meme of the week...
At first I only watched the highlights and felt the same. But my friend said to watch the whole thing. I watched it on YT and was surprised at how close it was.

Clearly Thor gave him a decent thrashing but it was not as 1 sided as the highlights had led me to believe. Eddie caught Thor with several solid counters through out the fight.

I thought Thor was going to just use him as a punching bag. Eddie I would say won the 1st round and maybe the 2nd. He had a few moments later where he had solid connections but could not capitalize on them. He seemed to have no combos AT ALL. Not that Thor was doing great he mostly threw (1,2s) or is it (2,1s) is you are south paw?

I'm not sure what Eddie thought would happen but if he would have taken training more serious he would have stood a better chance.

I joke with some of my buddies that in most fights if you have a solid 1,2 (Jab/power) you are going to win most fights against untrained fighters. This fight highlighted that fact. Eddie had a good right hook power punch(That he telegraphed like crazy) it landed early until Thor figured it out and just started stepping aside. Thor only really threw 1,2 combos that Eddie had no idea how to block except for with his face. 1,2 is like the first combo you learn in boxing.

I was surprised Eddie had no answer for it and no real set up combos of his own.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:17 am

Eddie seems have the form of a barroom 'ard guy that's used to taken one hard punch and then dropping someone with a hook.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:10 am

5hout wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:17 am Eddie seems have the form of a barroom 'ard guy that's used to taken one hard punch and then dropping someone with a hook.
100% but he had supposedly been training for a year +. What did he do with all that time?

I watched some of his training videos and it always seemed like he was messing around. Like lets see how hard I can hit type training. Not the time to grind sessions I saw Thor doing.

Plus no exhibitions? Thor's were not great but at least he had some to see what it would be like. Eddie supposedly had some behind closed doors but did not want to show them for a plethora of reasons. That is when I started to think he was in trouble. That dude shares tons of stuff and now all the sudden you are shy about sharing training footage?

I thought either they did not make him look good or they were made up.

Skander

Post by Skander » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:34 pm

I thought Thor was kind of adorable - like he'd been studying really hard for his boxing 101 class final. And got partnered with that guy who tried to cram the night before. You could almost hear Thor repeating all the cues in his head: "hands up, one-two, stick and move." It's a pity he didn't have more time to train, if he had mastered some longer combos he could have utterly destroyed Eddie. As it was, he kind of just stuck in his "jab cross" comfort zone, but it worked pretty well given how utterly unprepared his opponent was.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:48 pm

I only watched a few highlights.

I think it was an easier 'learn' for Thor to learn how to jab, and throw straight long punches, use his reach and height to keep Eddie at bay, and not gas out doing that ....

I think its going to be a much harder 'learn' for Eddie (a non-boxer) to move around, throw EFFECTIVE looping combos, and have the right stepping and footwork to get inside Thor's reach advantage doing that ....

I don't know how in earnest either of them trained, but if the either of the above got half-assed in any way, the latter it would show up as "really bad".

Just IMO.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:20 pm

mbasic wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:48 pm I only watched a few highlights.

I think it was an easier 'learn' for Thor to learn how to jab, and throw straight long punches, use his reach and height to keep Eddie at bay, and not gas out doing that ....

I think its going to be a much harder 'learn' for Eddie (a non-boxer) to move around, throw EFFECTIVE looping combos, and have the right stepping and footwork to get inside Thor's reach advantage doing that ....

I don't know how in earnest either of them trained, but if the either of the above got half-assed in any way, the latter it would show up as "really bad".

Just IMO.
If Eddie would have thrown even some body shots I think it would have helped him emensly

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:24 pm

Skander wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:34 pm I thought Thor was kind of adorable - like he'd been studying really hard for his boxing 101 class final. And got partnered with that guy who tried to cram the night before. You could almost hear Thor repeating all the cues in his head: "hands up, one-two, stick and move." It's a pity he didn't have more time to train, if he had mastered some longer combos he could have utterly destroyed Eddie. As it was, he kind of just stuck in his "jab cross" comfort zone, but it worked pretty well given how utterly unprepared his opponent was.
I was surprised Thor did not have more combos also. But maybe he did and just found he did not need them? If the 1,2 is getting it done why do anything else?

Eddie looked like he had just been fucking around for the past year.

Skander

Post by Skander » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:52 am

zappey1 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:24 pm
Skander wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:34 pm I thought Thor was kind of adorable - like he'd been studying really hard for his boxing 101 class final. And got partnered with that guy who tried to cram the night before. You could almost hear Thor repeating all the cues in his head: "hands up, one-two, stick and move." It's a pity he didn't have more time to train, if he had mastered some longer combos he could have utterly destroyed Eddie. As it was, he kind of just stuck in his "jab cross" comfort zone, but it worked pretty well given how utterly unprepared his opponent was.
I was surprised Thor did not have more combos also. But maybe he did and just found he did not need them? If the 1,2 is getting it done why do anything else?

I think it's just the noob+in the moment effect- when the adrenaline really hits, you just fall back on the thing you've drilled the hardest and most, and the fancy stuff you don't have as ingrained disappears. When you're a noob, that means you just have the most basic stuff left. But I also think his corner probably told him "that's working, just keep doing the same thing" so he didn't have any reason to do much else.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:12 am

Skander wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:52 am
zappey1 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:24 pm

I think it's just the noob+in the moment effect- when the adrenaline really hits, you just fall back on the thing you've drilled the hardest and most, and the fancy stuff you don't have as ingrained disappears. When you're a noob, that means you just have the most basic stuff left. But I also think his corner probably told him "that's working, just keep doing the same thing" so he didn't have any reason to do much else.
Yup, Thor probably did some more complex stuff in training and Eddie might've experimented with what combos were, or jabs and when push came to shove he just fell back on wild overhands which is probably what 90% of street fights start with.