Gravitus and A2S 2.0

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

brkriete

Gravitus and A2S 2.0

Post by brkriete » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:20 am

Has anyone tried this?

I see a few comments on Gravitus and A2S but nowhere here, Facebook, or Reddit have I seen much about running this specific program on Gravitus. I am curious if anyone has tried it and what your experience was. Can you customize exercises? Does it autocalculate progression etc?

James

Re: Gravitus and A2S 2.0

Post by James » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:53 am

Gravitus doesn't have an android version so I've never used it but A2S2 is fine. Not like it's novel or anything it's just three six week waves each with with two three week waves of percentages. Starting at 70/60% and 5/7 reps to 95/80% for singles and triples. Percentages have a corresponding rep number and RIR associated with them as normal. You stick in your maxes and it auto populates.

There's two versions of the strength program a lower frequency and a full body. They have three ways to autoregulate either a fatigue stop, amrap or RIR on last set. If you beat the expected normal sets/reps/RIR the training max goes up if you come short it goes down.

I don't know about the app but the spreadsheet let's you stick in whatever exercises you want with extra slots to put in accessories. The spreadsheet bundle comes with a program maker to mix and match how you want.

I like it but 21 weeks is a long time and I get distracted easy.

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:01 pm

Yeah I bought the bundle a while ago but a spreadsheet based approach doesn’t work great for me, if the app version is decent it’s worth the $20 to me. Just hoping to get some impressions.

DPriest442

Post by DPriest442 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:09 pm

Ran A2S several times with good results. AMRAPs suck but I felt like it was the only version I could be honest with

brkriete

Post by brkriete » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:56 pm

An update:

I started the program via the app about a month ago and am in week 4.

It's way lighter and with slower progression than I am used to be but I'm sticking with the program. I sandbagged my weights a little for week 1 and still struggled with volume but adapted to that pretty quickly and was hitting max number of sets (10) for every exercise in week 3. Definitely a lot of figuring out how both the program and app work.

Minor gripes:

It's not clear from the app what needs to be met to drive a change in weights assigned.

The app doesn't seem to be able to assign a minimum increment to weight changes (so it'll cheerfully tell me to OHP 117 lbs when it's gotta be 115 or 120 or else I'm taping quarters to the bar).

The app doesn't carry weights forward from set to set so I have to type "225" 10 times when I do squats (when it assigned me 226 or whatever).

1) I'm very bad at RIR and 2) the app doesn't adjust quickly enough. I was doing CGBP which I haven't done much of before for 95 lbs for sets of 5 and rating it RIR 4, felt like it got a tiny bit harder for set 9 so I called it RIR 3, then for set 10 I did a 25 rep AMRAP. Next week it had me do 95 lbs for sets of 6 and then I did an AMRAP of 25 reps. So up 10 reps (+1 rep * 10 sets) for the week but at the same weight. For now I'm just letting it do it's thing and I suppose at some point the weights and my rate of adaption will intersect and I'll be doing <10 sets. For the big lifts (deadlift, squat, bench) I think the 1RMs are much more on target and I'm managing the full ten sets but my AMRAP at the end is much more in line with my RIR scores and what makes sense (e.g., if I'm squatting 9 sets of 4 at RIR 4 my last set will be 8 reps at RIR 1).