Hamstrings. Commonly believed to be back of the leg muscles

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

dw

Re: Hamstrings. Commonly believed to be back of the leg muscles

Post by dw » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:51 pm

dw wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:33 pm
augeleven wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:24 pm
Renascent wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:27 pm Anyone had any success using back extensions for hamstring hypertrophy?
Last week did weighted back extensions ( with a wider deadlift style like below)
3 sets of 6 at RPE 7-8ish, then an amrap set of 30 bodyweight back extensions and had immediate DOMS hamster pain that lasted for days.

It’s now gonna be a regular deadlift day finisher

I wonder how much weight would be appropriate in this style of back extension? I think I'm going to try it but the weight he was using seemed low (on my phone but I guess it was 45+10+10).

Tried this today at the commercial gym but from a horizontal setup as I would have to take a barbell upstairs to use the 45 degree machines.

It was actually very hamstringy, possibly because the weight was light and I was getting a full hip extension which I don't get with heavy back extensions.

I'm actually looking for a spinal erector movement so they didn't seem great to me. The best has been either back extension machine with heavy dumbbells but I started to get some elbow tendinopathy from those which is still with me.

GrainsAndGains

Post by GrainsAndGains » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:22 pm

augeleven wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:24 pm
Renascent wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:27 pm Anyone had any success using back extensions for hamstring hypertrophy?
Last week did weighted back extensions ( with a wider deadlift style like below)
3 sets of 6 at RPE 7-8ish, then an amrap set of 30 bodyweight back extensions and had immediate DOMS hamster pain that lasted for days.

It’s now gonna be a regular deadlift day finisher

Tried these out at the gym the other day - 3 x 10 @ 95 lbs (including) the bar and didn't feel like in my hamstrings but it really fired up my glutes at the top of the movement. How much weight have you been using?

GrainsAndGains

Post by GrainsAndGains » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:30 pm

I've been doing purple-banded speed RDLs, similar setup with the below video. Weight mostly in the low 100s (haven't gone above 135 yet), three sets of 20.

For me, this is the exercise I've always wanted RDLs to be but have never managed to make them in practice. Really intense hamstring and glute activation at the top of the movement, but the weight is light enough to where you don't accrue any lumbar fatigue.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:45 pm

@GrainsAndGains inwentnpretty light I think 70x6 for some sets with a DL e1rm of 450 ish?
I assume the DOMS came with the amrap bodyweight set I did after that.

FredM

Post by FredM » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:03 pm

Turns out I've never known how to use my hamstrings and learning how to was the final piece of the back pain puzzle.

Can't recommend leg curls with bands before deadlift and squat variations highly enough. I just super set them with my bench sets.

Toes elevated RDLs are also helping a lot. I can literally feel my lower back muscles pulling with flat feet if I don't get really focused on external rotation to engage my hamstrings. There's no such issue with toes elevated and they torch my hamstrings -- I've never really had hamstring DOMS and I've had them for a week at a time now when I do a few sets of those.

Even though I had eliminated my back pain while lifting for the most part, touching my toes still felt like crap. It felt like there was a baseball on my spine that my muscles had to figure out how to move around just to bend over. That's almost completely gone after a few weeks of focused hamstring programming.