Commercial Leg Press Hack Squat combo

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

KOTJ
Superstar

Commercial Leg Press Hack Squat combo

Post by KOTJ » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:17 pm

On the "smaller" side of what these are

Who has one? Recommendations needed.

murphyreedus

Re: Commercial Leg Press Hack Squat combo

Post by murphyreedus » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:57 pm

KOTJ wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:17 pm On the "smaller" side of what these are

Who has one? Recommendations needed.
Budget?

Something like this Legend unit small enough?

https://www.legendfitness.com/product/l ... -squat-pl/

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:44 pm

Budget is 3k or less.

Biggest issue is space. Trying to keep room for a car to fit, without having to put the leg extension/curl on casters to temporarily park outside.

I'll have a better idea of size when I figure out where to place the new power rack.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:17 pm

There are a few copy-cat imported commercial combo units that have come over fairly recently that would fit your budget, but I have no idea how they are, and independent reviews are lacking. Stuff like this:

https://boltfitnesssupply.com/product/7 ... bo#img_id1

https://www.fettlefitness.com/product/f ... ack-squat/

I've been looking for a nice compact one myself, but have a hard time dropping the coin without being able to try it first.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:49 am

@murphyreedus I talked to Fettle before I bought a leg curl/extension (didn't get theirs). Guy told me he'd call me back in regards to questions I had. Never got a call.

Bolt was looked at for leg press, but too big.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Body Craft F660

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:41 pm

I have heard mostly good things about the Body Craft. I think the only knock I heard was people complaining about ROM on the hack squat, but that was from quite a few years ago.

I keep eyeing up the Powertec leg press because of the size, but that does not convert to a hack.

I have a belt squat rack attachment that I made, and I tell myself that it's good enough for volume stuff and I don't need a leg press, but I keep wanting one anyway.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:07 pm

I found old reviews (10yr) on the Body Craft F660 and the G760 PRO (bb forums), and contacted someone that has used/owned a new one for about a year on a social media site, that complained about "crunchy bearing noises".

There were also complaints that hack squat needed modification for full ROM for people under 5'10". A BB forum user, 10 yrs ago, said he was communicating with BodyCraft to potentially fix the design issue on newer releases. I did not find an update confirmation.

I emailed Body Craft a week ago asking for the differences between the F660 and F760 PRO, as well as the hack squat depth/ROM issue. No reply.

The foot plate is also on the smaller side.

For these reasons, I would not buy a Body Craft.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:10 pm

Currently leanings towards the Promaxima plate loaded leg press and hack squat combo.

It has a smaller foot print than Legend, and is also made in the US (Texas), and commerical quality with an established reputation for good quality. It is also about $2K cheaper. There is also a foot plate size difference, but in either case, I will likely have someone fabricate a removable, larger foot plate.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:03 am

Bought a Promaxima unit from eBay. Seller wrongly listed linear bearings for older and narrower model. Just had them pick it up for return.

Was about to order the new version: Promaxima PL 156 from a company that rebrands them. Asked to confirm dimensions: listed 42" wide, but they had to correct it. It's 60" wide.

Also found out Wilder Fitness equipment makes a combo unit.
Need to get pricing, but appears between Promaxima and Legend. Also made in US.

Wilder PL 014 is 98 long x78 wide x 68 height.

Promaxima weight pegs are also 10.5"... so that caps my 1.5" 45s at 6 per side. I don't want 7, with the plates at edge, or slightly over. I could buy 2 pairs of Weight It Out 45s (3/4" wide), but that's at least another $360.

Time to send emails.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:09 am

KOTJ wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:03 am Bought a Promaxima unit from eBay. Seller wrongly listed linear bearings for older and narrower model. Just had them pick it up for return.

Was about to order the new version: Promaxima PL 156 from a company that rebrands them. Asked to confirm dimensions: listed 42" wide, but they had to correct it. It's 60" wide.

Also found out Wilder Fitness equipment makes a combo unit.
Need to get pricing, but appears between Promaxima and Legend. Also made in US.

Wilder PL 014 is 98 long x78 wide x 68 height.

Promaxima weight pegs are also 10.5"... so that caps my 1.5" 45s at 6 per side. I don't want 7, with the plates at edge, or slightly over. I could buy 2 pairs of Weight It Out 45s (3/4" wide), but that's at least another $360.

Time to send emails.
re: weight pegs.

Sometimes they put a really thick rubber cushion on those weight pegs.
That dimension may or may not include those.
If you can take them off, a plate may on their more securely....or perhaps a whole 'nother plate.
The converse, if they are fucking up that advertised dimension, you might be a plate short.

I guess these are for:
- "clank!" reduction
- so the metal plates don't chip up paint on the the frame parts of the machine.
- so fingers don't get pinched in certain circumstances.
....most of that doesn't apply in a home setting.

My old gym had these on the plate storage horns of the racks, we took them off for safety reasons.
You still had the bolt head that would protrude the plate out a bit, but could save at least 1-1/2" ....
....this was a fat-bumper situation.
The last plate would slowly vibrate off and actually fall off the horns when people would drop deadlifts, oly lifts, etc.
** story below

My new gym ..... they are on every possible place a plate can go.
All of the storage horns, and the actual load horns of every leg press / hack sled .... all the hammer strength style fulcrum machines, etc.

*comical storyShow
So we got 5 brand new squat racks/stations with rubberized platforms.
Each one had plate storage on the sides.

Each one got the following bumper plate 'load out':
- (3) fat 45's
- (3) fat 35's
- (3) fat 25's
- (3) 33 vinyl album 10's

Only the very lowest storage horn/peg was just long enough to safely store the (3) 45's.
The uppermost 3 horns, were all the same length, the the 35's would come up an inch short.....a 3" wide plate, hanging on 2" of horn.
The plates would either ghost-fall-off .... or, when someone was not aware and grab a 35, it was boobie trapped to drop suddenly.

Some other lifters and myself noticed this right away, and we told management someone was going to break a toe.
We told them to simply email the supplier, and ask for another set of the longer horns .... tell them its a safety hazard.
(just spent a serious amount of $$$!!! )
Nothing was done.

So what "we" did at first is took the rubber cushion rings off the 35 horn, and threw them under the stations.
The cleaning staff / gym staff found them and put them all back.

So then we popped them off, and put them on the 10's horn, as that horn was way too fucking long ....doubled up where it wouldn't matter
The gym staff then would correct.

We then took it upon ourselves to throw them away.

There was no way to crush a finger, as you'd have to slam the plate onto the storage horn with hands at 12 and 6 o'clock to have a boo boo.
They were completely rubber plates (no metal center hub) .... the paint wouldn't chip really.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:45 am

I'm planning on a leg press / hack squat machine in the future.

Anyone have thoughts on these two?

https://www.forceusa.com/products/ultim ... quat-combo
https://www.titan.fitness/strength/spec ... ekEALw_wcB

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:44 pm

@mbasic it doesn't concern me too much, because I could just order 1-3 pairs of Weight It Out 45s (3/4" width).

The footplate sizes do seem bigger, which is what has my interest. Also, the Promaxima PL 156 has a fixed angle head pad.

@JohnHelton where do you live?

Promaxima PL 156 is $2000, per Promaxima. Shipping not included. I think net cost, regardless of vendor, ends up around 2800-3300.

Wilder Fitness sales rep told me $1995, but has to find the lift gate charge.

I also contacted BSN Sports for a quote of cost + shipping.

I would recommend getting a linear bearing model, instead of rollers. That Titan unit says linear bearing, but reviews say rollers.

I'd check Craigslist, eBay, and other vendors for a commercial unit...assuming it's a buy it for life deal.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:07 pm

KOTJ wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:44 pm @mbasic it doesn't concern me too much, because I could just order 1-3 pairs of Weight It Out 45s (3/4" width).

The footplate sizes do seem bigger, which is what has my interest. Also, the Promaxima PL 156 has a fixed angle head pad.

@JohnHelton where do you live?

Promaxima PL 156 is $2000, per Promaxima. Shipping not included. I think net cost, regardless of vendor, ends up around 2800-3300.

Wilder Fitness sales rep told me $1995, but has to find the lift gate charge.

I also contacted BSN Sports for a quote of cost + shipping.

I would recommend getting a linear bearing model, instead of rollers. That Titan unit says linear bearing, but reviews say rollers.

I'd check Craigslist, eBay, and other vendors for a commercial unit...assuming it's a buy it for life deal.
I'm in Dallas now, but this would be for the gym at the house we will be building in Montana. Going with a commercial unit makes sense. Buy once.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:01 pm

@JohnHelton Promaxima is made in Texas.

Wilder in Mississippi. Legend in Tennessee.

Since I'm in California, your shipping should be much cheaper.

gtl

Post by gtl » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:41 am

FWIW, I have 2 ProMaxima machines and they are solid.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:49 pm

Ok

Promaxima is 3k -3500 shipped, depending on vendor

Wilder is 3k shipped (shipping from manufacturer. Vendor is 2k more)

And Legend...well, Legend is about 6900 shipped

Just trying to accept choosing the wider footprint of the Wilder unjt

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:24 pm

It's astounding how difficult it can be to give money for a product, when dealing with the manufacturer and a vendor.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:43 pm

Too much work to post pictures.

Wilder Fitness Leg Press/hack squat is awesome.

Pros: great quality. Good paint and welds. Can use 1290 lbs total.

Cons: foot plate size for leg press. It works, but bigger will be better. Also, proper form aka maximum ROM (barring injuries, etc) isn't possible for hack squat unless you add platform height.

The design for bottoming out does serve to prevent being completely crushed on a failed lift, so it's not all terrible.

There is only one safety catch height, but again, not an issue for me at all.

Pro tip: the shoulder pads are mounted upside down from the factory, and you need to flip them to install the sled/carriage weight pegs/horns.

Easy fix: add height. I spent $50 on firm, folding gymnastics mats that total 9". Super light.