Rugged Fitness Y100 Power Rack

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

KOTJ
Superstar

Rugged Fitness Y100 Power Rack

Post by KOTJ » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:05 pm

Ordered it with 10% on July 4th. Shipping is free. Arrived about 7/26.

Why I Chose This

I wanted a free standing power rack because I know I'll move it around as I get more equipment. I already moved it a foot and repositioned a lat pulldown. I will use the free space behind it (due to platform/base extending about 1' back) to store some plates on the rack.

Westside spacing was non-negotiable. 30" depth non-negotioable. All those 24" Rogue R3 racks are horrible, and only enjoyed by horrible people.

I hate 49" width racks. It requires me to change my walk out and be meticulous, or the barbell collars and/or plates will hit the uprights. Fuck that shit, "into a living death" (-Ken Shamrock).

This rack has a 48" external width. It is 2x3. I have zero desire for a 3x3 rack. Unless your power rack is used for various attachments, I have zero idea why you'd want a 3x3.

I have separate equipement/machines (lat pulldown, leg extension/curl, leg press/hack soon), and will workout with 1-2 other people occasionally...so zero need for 3x3 and it's horrible rack width.

This is basically a free standing Rogue R3, for about $500 less after shipping.

From them:

"For True Warriors Only - The Rugged Fitness Power Rack is an intense, robust power rack, expertly-crafted to withstand high-demands. The Rugged Power Rack features heavy-duty 2×3, 11-gauge steel, an impressive 1,000 lb. weight capacity and a durable scratch resistant black powder coat finish that is functional and aesthetically pleasing. Built like a tank, the Rugged Fitness Power Rack is adaptable, durable and powerful. Includes a set of j-cups and a set of Rugged’s premium pin and pipe safeties.

Heavy Duty Construction; 2”x3”, 11-Gauge Steel Frame
Capacity: 1,000 lbs.
Finish: Electro statically applied black powdercoat finish
Features: Westside Style hole spacing
Includes: 2 j-cups and pin and pipe safeties
Dimensions: 66” L x 45” W x 89” H
Weight: 268 lbs.
In-Home Lifetime Warranty: on frames & welds, cables, pulleys, bushings, bearings, hardware, plates, guide rods, upholstery and grips.
Commercial Lifetime Warranty: on frames and welds, 5-year warranty on cables, pulleys, bushings, bearings, hardware, plates and guide rods. 1-year warranty on upholstery and grips."

Packaging

No damage to the boxes. Each item (other than packaged nuts and bolts) was individually wrapped. No scratches, dents, dings, etc.

Assembly

Highly recommended to have a helper. Total time about 2 hours. Very straightforward with good instructions. Could probably assemble faster if not in a hot garage, and hungry and thirsty.

If you dont have 24mm sockets, get them.

Initial Review

I am very impressed. Granted, I haven't lifted in it yet. The paint/coating seems high quality.

I was an early Titan T3 (or whatever) user. I've lifted out of the Rogue R3 for years, and then used a Rogue squat rack/stand for years. I'd say this appears equal or better than Rogue (it is made in China).

The j cups UMHW is not as nice as the Rogue cups, but I planned on replacing them with roller j cups. The pin pipe safeties seems good, but I also plan on replacing them with suspension spotter straps (might keep the safeties for bench only).

The numbers (multiples of 4) on the sides are helpful and clean.

Unsurprisingly, if you apply lateral force to a bolt together rack, it will move. Rogue does the same. So if you're an idiot reading this, and you like to shake power racks from the side, please drop a car battery on your stupid face from 30 meters or higher.

murphyreedus

Re: Rugged Fitness Y100 Power Rack

Post by murphyreedus » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:00 pm

Nice review. I don't know much about Rugged, but it looks like a good rack. When should we expect pictures in the garage gym thread?
KOTJ wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:05 pm Unsurprisingly, if you apply lateral force to a bolt together rack, it will move. Rogue does the same. So if you're an idiot reading this, and you like to shake power racks from the side, please drop a car battery on your stupid face from 30 meters or higher.
I think the "shake it laterally" thing is the power rack equivalent of "checking the spin" on bar that's only used for power lifts. I have an 800# Dynamic Ultra Pro rack, bolt-together, all 7ga steel, with 3 horizontal crossmembers. It's overbuilt as hell and ridiculous for a home gym. I can easily rattle the plates on the rear plate storage by shaking the front upright. I guarantee that the rack is not going anywhere unless a tornado directly hits my house.

Side note: I am an idiot and I do like to shake power racks from the side.

KOTJ
Superstar

Re: Rugged Fitness Y100 Power Rack

Post by KOTJ » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:59 pm

@murphyreedus pictures up eventually. I need to determine plate storage pegs. Also, I think this might be a house brand fo Body Solid.