DOMS, why don't I get it?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

DCR

Re: DOMS, why don't I get it?

Post by DCR » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:30 am

GeoffBUK wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:59 am So, I don't often do Isolation tricep work, most of it pisses off my elbow on the iner side, banded pushdowns for high reps sometimes, don't know if they did much but didn't make me sore, Dito for dips, so lately I tried lying TRI extensions but holding the plate of the dumbbell for a sorta parallel grip, and let the weight go back behind my head for a slight pullover/extension type movement, stretching/loading my tri's at the bottom but not an aggressive/exaggerated stretch, 2 days later my triceps are as sore as f**k!, So novel movement+ loading at stretch position seems to = soreness, dunno if this indicates a better training stimulus/effect but tri's are seriously sore!
Try incline dumbbell curls, with a full stretch. (Do not go heavy on these.) Also, what @CaptainAwesome said.

CaptainAwesome

Post by CaptainAwesome » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:28 pm

GeoffBUK wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:59 am So, I don't often do Isolation tricep work, most of it pisses off my elbow on the iner side, banded pushdowns for high reps sometimes, don't know if they did much but didn't make me sore, Dito for dips, so lately I tried lying TRI extensions but holding the plate of the dumbbell for a sorta parallel grip, and let the weight go back behind my head for a slight pullover/extension type movement, stretching/loading my tri's at the bottom but not an aggressive/exaggerated stretch, 2 days later my triceps are as sore as f**k!, So novel movement+ loading at stretch position seems to = soreness, dunno if this indicates a better training stimulus/effect but tri's are seriously sore!
See? You can get DOMS after all.

GeoffBUK

Post by GeoffBUK » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:18 am

CaptainAwesome wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:28 pm
See? You can get DOMS after all.
Yeah, I don't envy anybody that gets sore like this in multiple areas and regularly, I hope there's some tricep growth from all this :D

dw

Post by dw » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:17 am

I think the loading at a stretched position really contributes. I've been doing cable hip abduction from a maximally stretched position, influenced by an SBS article, and the DOMS is ridiculous.

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:48 pm

DCR wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:30 am
Try incline dumbbell curls, with a full stretch. (Do not go heavy on these.) Also, what @CaptainAwesome said.
These are my favourite type of curl

DCR

Post by DCR » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:01 am

ChasingCurls69 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:48 pm
DCR wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:30 am
These are my favourite type of curl
You and Dorian, IIRC.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:30 am

I found this entertaining

DCR

Post by DCR » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:58 pm

Hardartery wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:30 am I found this entertaining
Hadn’t heard of him. Video titles at his youtube have the clickbaity-est titles ever, but that was really entertaining. I’ll probably end up watching half of them between sets tomorrow. :roll:

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:03 pm

DCR wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:58 pm
Hardartery wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:30 am I found this entertaining
Hadn’t heard of him. Video titles at his youtube have the clickbaity-est titles ever, but that was really entertaining. I’ll probably end up watching half of them between sets tomorrow. :roll:
I agree, I avoided watching any of his stuff for quite a while because of the titles title shots, but I have found him to be actually entertaining and conveying useful information. I don't always agree totally with him, but if we agreed on everything then only one of us would be necessary.