Shaw Classic is going now

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

Hardartery

Shaw Classic is going now

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:36 pm

I'm not paying for the stream, but the results are trickling in. Novikov is apparently killing it on Hummer Tire DL so far. Maxime and Luk Stoltman both missed the opening weight on it, Bobby Thompson has not going to win the event. Peña is apparently on fire as well as Novikov. Tom is not there, in case you missed that drama, his wife's ticket was screwed up and he wouldn't fly without her. I won't crap on him, it actually seems way more legit than it sounds and I feel bad for him.

Hardartery

Re: Shaw Classic is going now

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:51 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:36 pm I'm not paying for the stream, but the results are trickling in. Novikov is apparently killing it on Hummer Tire DL so far. Maxime and Luk Stoltman both missed the opening weight on it, Bobby Thompson has not going to win the event. Peña is apparently on fire as well as Novikov. Tom is not there, in case you missed that drama, his wife's ticket was screwed up and he wouldn't fly without her. I won't crap on him, it actually seems way more legit than it sounds and I feel bad for him.
Apparently Novikov has broken Caron's record with a 1210 lb (548.8 kg) pull. I thinkg that was also for the win, not sure if anyone else is left to go, Peña missed it.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:11 pm

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:04 pm

After 2 events:

Trey 28pts

Novikov 25.5pts

Shaw 22.5pts

Konstantine 21.5pts

Bobby 21.5pts

Peña 20pts

Hooper 18.5 pts

That is not all of the athletes, and the points are going to change slightly based on times. 4 way tie for 3rd based on number of bags over the bar without regard for time. They are going to break it down by time. Maxime got a little robbed by bad staff errors, and Thompson got a little jacked because some dingus in the audience has a whistle apparently.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:45 pm

The lone Stoltman has, surprise, withdrawn after event 2. Yes, that's sarcasm.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:13 pm

Looked like he had more in the tank, but no one to push him. For the non-SM guys, Shaw doesn't allow suits or figure-8 straps, so Novikiv did this wih regular straps and a belt only.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:44 pm

Tie for first after DB, it looks like. Mitchell and Novikov.

cole

Post by cole » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:45 pm

I was there today with 2 of my boys. Shaw is a class act. The Ukrainian is a beast. He also won the one hand db press. Stolman was drinking beer and talking to fans, he didn't even try. Im going again tomorrow to see the car leg press and atlas stone. My boys loved it. Dude I've never seen so many huge guys in the same place before. I felt like a child, even guys in the crowd were huge. Here's the video I took of oleksi

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:18 am

i was watching it and when Oleksii pulled the 1150 (i think .... next to last one) like it was a speed rep I literally yelled "what the fuck." Just wild shit.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:53 pm

Bobby Thomspon is out, seems he injured his hamstring on the Log. Trey first, Shaw second, 3-way tie for 3rd on the Log. Novikov is in second going into the Medley - which involves an arm over arm that Janashia has apparentlybroken in some way.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:57 pm

According to Strongman Archives it's not a 3-way tie on Log, even though they all lifted the same thing, they have broken down the points differently anf it bumped Novikov to 5th somehow on that event, which still seems to have left him 2nd overall. But he has a DNF on the Medley so that's gonna hurt him.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:08 pm

trey DNF's too, so Trey first, Shaw second, Novikov and Hooper tied at 68 points going into Leg Press.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:17 am

Didn't watch/follow along much but I heard the leg press was kind of a shit show/disappointment. Basically the spectacle of the equipment over shadowed the actual event. I see Brian won it by a large margin... huge surprise there hahaha.

Which brings me to my next controversial thought:

I think Brian needs to sit the next one out. He's doing a great thing for the sport by providing another 'big' show but he's winning or making the podium every time, it's probably just me and he can do what he wants, but it's kind of starting to feel weird.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:35 am

mouse wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:17 am Didn't watch/follow along much but I heard the leg press was kind of a shit show/disappointment. Basically the spectacle of the equipment over shadowed the actual event. I see Brian won it by a large margin... huge surprise there hahaha.

I think Brian needs to sit the next one out. He's doing a great thing for the sport by providing another 'big' show but he's winning or making the podium every time, it's probably just me and he can do what he wants, but it's kind of starting to feel weird.
I thought that the first day was great, great events, exciting all the way around. Day 2 not so much. The Leg Press sucked at WSM, no surprise it wasn't wonderful at this contest.

cole

Post by cole » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:05 pm

mouse wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:17 am Didn't watch/follow along much but I heard the leg press was kind of a shit show/disappointment. Basically the spectacle of the equipment over shadowed the actual event. I see Brian won it by a large margin... huge surprise there hahaha.

I disagree. I personally bought tickets to see HIM, had he sat that one out I wouldn't have bothered. But there needs to be an objective committee that decides the events, clearly.