Regrets and Ripoffs

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

James

Re: Regrets and Ripoffs

Post by James » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:16 am

Thought of a second regret.

My legacy lifters. I like them but I messed up my ankle and now I can't fully straighten my right leg in a heeled shoe.

hector

Post by hector » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:22 am

Regret buying rogue db-10 adjustable dumbbell handles. Not bad, but like someone else here already said, should have gone with ironmasters.
I bought during early covid though, so ironmasters weren't an option.

If I were a baller and had money to burn my next regret would be buying those pepin fast adjustable dumbbells.

I have a dedicated Titan bench rack. Most people would probably think it's stupid, not a good tradeoff in terms of $ or space, that is has limited functionality, but I love it.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:55 am

hector wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:22 am Regret buying rogue db-10 adjustable dumbbell handles. Not bad, but like someone else here already said, should have gone with ironmasters.
I bought during early covid though, so ironmasters weren't an option.

If I were a baller and had money to burn my next regret would be buying those pepin fast adjustable dumbbells.

I have a dedicated Titan bench rack. Most people would probably think it's stupid, not a good tradeoff in terms of $ or space, that is has limited functionality, but I love it.
Depending on budget, Spot Grips will eliminate the issue of getting adjustable DB handles into position. You can also reliably use spring clips, which make more room for 10lb plates. 25s probably shouldn't limit ROM either for benching.

And then you don't have to worry about dropping dumbbells on the floor, or on your kid or pet if they're not respecting your lifting space.

Bench rack has been a long time goal, but I don't have the space.

adamv

Post by adamv » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:21 pm

Anybody regret buying a 5/8" rack vs 1" or vice versa? I went with 5/8" to get the closer spacing through the bench area. Never been a big deal, but if I had to do it over I'd probably go 1".

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:33 pm

adamv wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:21 pm Anybody regret buying a 5/8" rack vs 1" or vice versa? I went with 5/8" to get the closer spacing through the bench area. Never been a big deal, but if I had to do it over I'd probably go 1".
No regrets on 5/8" for westside spacing.

Why do you regret it?

Most of the attachments I see, other than pulley systems, aren't great.

gtl

Post by gtl » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:40 am

I regret buying the add-on kit to extend my Iron Masters to 120lbs. I told myself when I hit 75x15, I would buy it. I bought it on Black Friday 2019, and literally have never used it. I literally just don't use DBs enough, and changing the weights kind of sucks.

Currently trying to sell my Iron Masters, though, now that I have individual DBs up to 65. Hoping to get 70s and 75s if there is a good deal Black Friday.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:26 am

gtl wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:40 am I regret buying the add-on kit to extend my Iron Masters to 120lbs. I told myself when I hit 75x15, I would buy it. I bought it on Black Friday 2019, and literally have never used it. I literally just don't use DBs enough, and changing the weights kind of sucks.

Currently trying to sell my Iron Masters, though, now that I have individual DBs up to 65. Hoping to get 70s and 75s if there is a good deal Black Friday.
I turned out to be the opposite. I regretted building a 5-100 set of fixed dumbbells after getting my Ironmasters. Now I have the heavy handle kit, 120 expansion, and micro plates, and got rid of all fixed dumbbells that aren't roundheads (35-65). I haven't touched the roundheads in months, and have only kept them because they're hard to find. I use the Ironmasters just about every workout.

gtl

Post by gtl » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:58 am

murphyreedus wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:26 am
gtl wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:40 am I regret buying the add-on kit to extend my Iron Masters to 120lbs. I told myself when I hit 75x15, I would buy it. I bought it on Black Friday 2019, and literally have never used it. I literally just don't use DBs enough, and changing the weights kind of sucks.

I turned out to be the opposite. I regretted building a 5-100 set of fixed dumbbells after getting my Ironmasters. Now I have the heavy handle kit, 120 expansion, and micro plates, and got rid of all fixed dumbbells that aren't roundheads (35-65). I haven't touched the roundheads in months, and have only kept them because they're hard to find. I use the Ironmasters just about every workout.
It some times takes me 2-3 minutes to change the weights on my IMs and aint nobody got time for dat.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:52 am

gtl wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:58 am
murphyreedus wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:26 am

It some times takes me 2-3 minutes to change the weights on my IMs and aint nobody got time for dat.
It was slow to change them at first, but now that I can do it mostly on auto-pilot it's usually about a minute for me. The exception would be when I need to change to the longer screws/22.5# weights. That might take 2 minutes. I use the same weight for all work sets, so no changing between those.

Have you thought about increasing your rest time to 15 minutes between sets?

gtl

Post by gtl » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:37 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:52 am Have you thought about increasing your rest time to 15 minutes between sets?
I would, but dumbbells aren't part of The Program™.

adamv

Post by adamv » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:22 pm

KOTJ wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:33 pm No regrets on 5/8" for westside spacing.

Why do you regret it?

Most of the attachments I see, other than pulley systems, aren't great.
I just don't adjust the jcups and safeties to that level of specificity, and at the time I bought the rack the Monster Lite series didn't come with options like numbered holes/colors. I get around the numbers with these: https://rocketpacksupply.com/products/arch which are fine.

I'm getting to be more of an equipment snob over the years. Not enough that I want to buy another rack, just would have done in differently in retrospect.

Skid

Post by Skid » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:20 am

Rogue MG-2 multi grip bar - bought it because I was having shoulder issues, but found it to be clunky and poorly made. Even the cheapest Chinese bars have actual 2 inch diameter ends for plates. Rogue uses cheap pipe that is undersize so the plates wobble and standard clips won't work. Plus the paint chips off very easily in large chips.

Bench Blokz - Got these for free when I ordered my calibrated plates/bar. Can't ever recall using them.

Large hexagon dumbbells - My 5-50 pound set are good because the weights are small and don't get in the way. To add on to my round steel 55-105 DB set I bought a pair of 120's as it was cheaper than buying the 10 pound plate style. They are bigger in diameter then the 10 pound plate style and affect benching weirdly as they hit the chest much sooner so you don't get full ROM.

gtl

Post by gtl » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:17 am

I regret buying the Rep SSB. I ordered it on 9/4 and at the time, their website said "Shipping week of 8/22". I thought that meant it was still in stock.

It took them 2 week to ship my adjustable bench, so I patiently waited 2 weeks. Then I reached out. They said that that they were out of stock and shipping was set for the week of 10/10.

I reached out this week, and they said, yeah, it should go out this week. Well, I hadn't heard anything by Thursday evening, so I reached out again and was told end of October.

To make matters worse, I thought it would be here this week so I sold my perfectly good Edge Fitness SSB. Now I am regretting that, too. I might have to buy a Titan SSB off FB and sell that once the Rep ships. Or cancel my Rep order. EliteFTS is out of stock, too.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:54 am

I can't think of too many things I regret buying, but the EliteFTS Normal knee wraps and a Rehband knee sleeve come to mind.

Neither were bad by any means at all. The wraps were just way too soft and stretchy for what I wanted. The knee sleeve was also fine, but I'm not smart and didn't read the description that said it was ONE sleeve and not a pair.

I also regret buying a new pair of Asics Matflexes to replace my old ones whose sole had worn almost smooth after some six or so years of gym use. The new ones have a stupidly narrow toe box which threw my balance off like you wouldn't believe. I miss my old Matflexes. They were hands down the best lifting shoes I've ever had.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:53 pm

gtl wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:17 am I regret buying the Rep SSB. I ordered it on 9/4 and at the time, their website said "Shipping week of 8/22". I thought that meant it was still in stock.

It took them 2 week to ship my adjustable bench, so I patiently waited 2 weeks. Then I reached out. They said that that they were out of stock and shipping was set for the week of 10/10.

I reached out this week, and they said, yeah, it should go out this week. Well, I hadn't heard anything by Thursday evening, so I reached out again and was told end of October.

To make matters worse, I thought it would be here this week so I sold my perfectly good Edge Fitness SSB. Now I am regretting that, too. I might have to buy a Titan SSB off FB and sell that once the Rep ships. Or cancel my Rep order. EliteFTS is out of stock, too.
Contact EliteFts via phone and get an eta, they should have a good idea. Also, if not already, follow them on Instagram as they offer flash style sales on the ssb all the time.

Duplicitous

Post by Duplicitous » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:53 am

TLDR version: Powertec sucks.

The first piece I bought for my home gym was a Powertec Workbench Functional Trainer Deluxe with the dual stacks. In theory it sounded great and Powertec has a pretty good rep, so I took the leap for over $2k. The assembly instructions were terrible, the guide rods cheap/hollow and there were too many steps involved in locking/unlocking the cable start position, but those were just minor gripes. The real problem is that the stacks would drag and at weights below ~40 lbs even get stuck in mid-air when you let go of the handle. I contacted the dealer and they ghosted me right off. I then contacted Powertec and they had me dance around for a few weeks, sending photos/videos and making adjustments that I knew would never change anything. I played along though and after a few weeks they sent someone here to repair the machine. The guy had no idea WTF he was doing, but he tinkered for a couple hours, shot a bunch of lube on everything and told me it was all fixed. Nope. Powertec jerked me around for a few more weeks and after the dealer failed to respond to their multitude of calls/emails, they offered to send me an entirely new machine. Great. The dealer must have gotten some sort of notification about this because they suddenly popped up and emailed me. Powertec rescinded their promise of replacement and told me they were closing the matter and that I would have to deal with the dealer moving forward.

The dealer then jerked me around for a few more weeks before making an appointment to come fix the machine. That day came and the dealer stood me up. Two days later the dealer contacts me again and wants to make another appointment for the following day. Ok, last chance. Then I realize that tomorrow is Day 61 on a card with a 60-day dispute window. Sneaky MF. I call the bank and fill them in on the situation, but ask if they can extend the dispute window so the dealer has one last chance to make it right. They agree and notate my account. The dealer comes, sprays the machine down with cooking spray (!!) and tells me not to use anything below 45 lbs. What? Yeah, not fixed. Dealer ghosts me again when I call to let them know it's still not working properly. Dispute filed and the machine sat across my power rack for a YEAR glaring at me while the dispute played out. The bank finally sends me a letter saying they found in my favor and the money will be refunded in X days. The day the charge was reversed the owner of the store calls me and asks if he can have his equipment back. I was tempted to tell him to go F himself, but I let him send someone to come collect it. Once that wall was empty I set to do what I should have done to begin with - buy a commercial FT. Life Fitness CMDAP sits in its place today.

dw

Post by dw » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:34 am

Almost three years back now I bought a commercial grade squat rack from a gym very close to my home that went out of business.

I was blinded by the windfall opportunity - commercial grade equipment going for way below market value. I can't remember the price I paid but it was good in those terms.

The problem was it was completely inferior for my purposes to a new lower grade model with closely spaced holes and spaces for attachments and a pull-up cross bar and whatnot.

This one is just thick steel with widely spaced holes and really deep j-hooks. Just all around not a good squat rack except for its extreme sturdiness.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:19 am

@dw Yeah, those types of racks are designed to withstand years of abuse from random idiots, but they kinda suck for actual use. I remember seeing a lot of older bodybuilder types in the home gym FB group that would scoff at people buying a Titan rack to save money when they could get a “great deal” on a used Hammer Strength rack if they were patient… 🙄

hector

Post by hector » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:53 pm

Duplicitous wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:53 am TLDR version: Powertec sucks.

The first piece I bought for my home gym was a Powertec Workbench Functional Trainer Deluxe with the dual stacks. In theory it sounded great and Powertec has a pretty good rep, so I took the leap for over $2k. The assembly instructions were terrible, the guide rods cheap/hollow and there were too many steps involved in locking/unlocking the cable start position, but those were just minor gripes. The real problem is that the stacks would drag and at weights below ~40 lbs even get stuck in mid-air when you let go of the handle. I contacted the dealer and they ghosted me right off. I then contacted Powertec and they had me dance around for a few weeks, sending photos/videos and making adjustments that I knew would never change anything. I played along though and after a few weeks they sent someone here to repair the machine. The guy had no idea WTF he was doing, but he tinkered for a couple hours, shot a bunch of lube on everything and told me it was all fixed. Nope. Powertec jerked me around for a few more weeks and after the dealer failed to respond to their multitude of calls/emails, they offered to send me an entirely new machine. Great. The dealer must have gotten some sort of notification about this because they suddenly popped up and emailed me. Powertec rescinded their promise of replacement and told me they were closing the matter and that I would have to deal with the dealer moving forward.

The dealer then jerked me around for a few more weeks before making an appointment to come fix the machine. That day came and the dealer stood me up. Two days later the dealer contacts me again and wants to make another appointment for the following day. Ok, last chance. Then I realize that tomorrow is Day 61 on a card with a 60-day dispute window. Sneaky MF. I call the bank and fill them in on the situation, but ask if they can extend the dispute window so the dealer has one last chance to make it right. They agree and notate my account. The dealer comes, sprays the machine down with cooking spray (!!) and tells me not to use anything below 45 lbs. What? Yeah, not fixed. Dealer ghosts me again when I call to let them know it's still not working properly. Dispute filed and the machine sat across my power rack for a YEAR glaring at me while the dispute played out. The bank finally sends me a letter saying they found in my favor and the money will be refunded in X days. The day the charge was reversed the owner of the store calls me and asks if he can have his equipment back. I was tempted to tell him to go F himself, but I let him send someone to come collect it. Once that wall was empty I set to do what I should have done to begin with - buy a commercial FT. Life Fitness CMDAP sits in its place today.
Damn!
Sorry for your struggle.
Thanks for sharing your story.
Now I know never to buy Powertec.

sera310

Post by sera310 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:01 pm

Setting aside stuff I've bought that I don't use or don't use enough (plenty of that), the 2 things I've bought that I thought were not worth the money were:

1. Rogue flat bench. It was too tall for me to get good leg drive without rigging up boards or plates or something, and it had t-bar feet at both ends, which got in my way. Traded it away and got a Rep bench, which is just right.

2. CAP fitness mega hex bar. it was literally too mega; my space is kind of tight, and it was too much trouble to maneuver a 68-lb+/- hex bar in there, and I found that while the hex bar does indeed feel better on my lower back, I much preferred doing deadlifts with a regular bar. Traded it away too.