Regrets and Ripoffs

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

KOTJ
Superstar

Regrets and Ripoffs

Post by KOTJ » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:06 am

A thread for shitty products and experiences, or things you never use

Regret: slingshot (blue). Barely used it, and it's been in a box for years

Regret: Rogue mini bands: never used

Regret: dumbbells on sale from Tru Grit Fitness. Extensive delays for 90% of my order, horrible service, and I could have bought the same shit for about the same price (after shipping), locally...and then I'd have a month of use. Their excuses for the missing and delayed items: everyone in the warehouse is new and training, plus they all had COVID, and they have a new system that's messing up orders. Took 2 weeks before I could get ahold of someone. Had to find their CEOs online and contact them.

One dude was very cunty. Extremely passive aggressive. Complained I didn't edit my complaints for reviews. Still took 2-3 weeks after guaranteeing my order would arrive in a week, after 2-3 weeks of delays.

By far the worst customer service from a strength company.

Then they deleted all negative reviews from several platforms. They had a lot of complaints.

Rip-off: Practical Programming book, and months of BCAAs based off recommendation from my nutrition coach

OverheadDeadlifts

Re: Regrets and Ripoffs

Post by OverheadDeadlifts » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:34 am

@KOTJ why don’t you use the slingshot? Wanted to buy one for a long time but have the feeling it’ll end up barely used.

Only thing I regret and don’t see myself ever using again is my mini farmers walk handles. When I was looking at buying them I thought ‘what stops the centre of mass making them swing inwards into my legs when there’s a few plates on them?’. Well that’s exactly what happens when they get heavy enough.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:57 am

REGRETS:
Rogue TB-1 trap bar.
Thing is kinda big and goofy, and LH only.
I have never used it seriously (thats on me).

RIPOFF (many same as OP):
- PPST - many of the concepts (many erroneous) were already gleaned for the interwebbs.
- especially the Olympic WL contained in it ^
- also, BBM Olympic1 and Olympic2 programs. rudimentary garbage, even for a novice.
- And .... also as OP: dumped a lot of $$$ on BCAAs many years ago.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:00 am

@OverheadDeadlifts it wasn't necessary or extra helpful for my bench. I cant remember why I initially bought it. I think it was when I had some pec fuckery, which only occurred in the bottom ROM. I ended up using slow eccentrics (3-5 seconds) because that also didnt cause any issue, didn't change my technique, and probably improved my technique a little bit.

There were some slingshots at the gym I was at, but like any communal property, they were extremely unsanitary. Never washed/cleaned.

Like most things, you can definitely use it to get stronger, but it's your call.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:02 am

@mbasic I hope you at least had the magic ratio for BCAAs!

Now the only regular supplements I take are protein drinks and metamucil. Maybe I'll use creatine again one day, but I never noticed a difference for anything, on or off.

James

Post by James » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:27 am

I think my only regret equipment wise is buying 2x2 j-cups from titan a week or two before they came out with new reenforced versions.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:15 pm

It wasn't a ripoff, but i do regret buying my METAL singlet and not just going for the Titan Triumph in Blue Inferno that i wanted.
The Titan was $98 and the METAL was $55

METAL is now banned by most major feds, and i have my Triumph.
It's an awesome garment.

dw

Post by dw » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:19 pm

I regret nothing because I am too cheap to buy anything there's any chance I will regret.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:15 pm

I regret nothing because I'm too poor to buy anything.

I regret not waiting to get the Rep Fitness adjustable FLAT bench though, it would be nice to incline press at home.

Also, the EZ curl bar they sell that isn't rackable is kinda shit. I don't really get how you're supposed to use it because you have to pull it off the floor everytime you go to use it, which is REALLY fucking annoying. It's too short to really rest it on anything. I guess maybe it's nice for space constraints but I find it kind of redundant product.

Also the REP iron plates are kinda wack, I will always go with rubberized from now on. I don't know why buy iron if you can afford the rubber plates, and I'm glad I splurged on a set of of them

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:22 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:15 pm

Also the REP iron plates are kinda wack, I will always go with rubberized from now on. I don't know why buy iron if you can afford the rubber plates, and I'm glad I splurged on a set of of them
I just bought a pair of iron 45s from rep.
The ones that are the same on both faces.
$129 on sale for the pair, and they both weigh the same, pretty much right on 45lbs.
They were on sale for $109 later after i bought mine, but i wasn't even mad.
Free shipping even at that price.
The tolerance on the center holes is tigther than any of the 3 pairs i bought from Rogue.
Super nice for standard iron plates.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:28 pm

Wilhelm wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:15 pm It wasn't a ripoff, but i do regret buying my METAL singlet and not just going for the Titan Triumph in Blue Inferno that i wanted.
The Titan was $98 and the METAL was $55

METAL is now banned by most major feds, and i have my Triumph.
It's an awesome garment.

@Wilhelm, are you still leading the legion of doom?
(ETA: that is a serious bada$$ pic though)

I regret getting the rep fitness adjustable bench. It’s not nearly as stable as my homemade one.

EggMcMuffin

Post by EggMcMuffin » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:34 pm

I personally just don't like iron plates lol, too noisy and easy to drop while loading. The Rep plates are nice.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:09 pm

Not sure if I’ve ever been ripped off with a fitness purchase.

I do regret buying a treadmill once upon a time, because most treadmills for the consumer market are trash. Luckily, I picked that up on a discount on a Black Friday in 2002 or so…

I own a Bella bar without any real reason. I’ve used it a few times with the kids.

I once owned a vertical leg press and a bench machine. I used them but they both sucked. Served a purpose nonetheless. I also had a Weider rack I was squatting 405 out of. That 14ga rack was a terrible piece, but I think I paid $100 for it or something a long time ago. It also served a purpose.

Owned a Bowflex. Not cheap, but I used that thing a ton over 15 years. Not as stupid as it looks if used properly.

I guess I could have some regrets not buying a proper rack, bench, and barbell some 20+ years ago, but I’ve gotten good wear out of whatever I’ve owned and it’s kept me going.

I wish I used my rower more and I wish I owned an echo bike.

Somewhere around 2010 I started to get my shit together regarding buying stuff in general.

James

Post by James » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:36 pm

EggMcMuffin wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:15 pm I regret not waiting to get the Rep Fitness adjustable FLAT bench though, it would be nice to incline press at home.
You can incline with a flat bench. Put a heavy wall pipe across a second set of j hooks and put your flat bench on it. The crook of the leg will rest on the pipe and keep it from moving a decent bench's support will be broad enough not to wobble. You could probably put the pipe on the safeties but then no safeties. If you got an angle finder you can play with the hook height to get the angles you want.

I guess your could use a bar if you had to.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:43 pm

I don't think that I regreet anything I bought. I never use my belt, probably never will, but I don't regret it because I discovered that I lift less with a belt and I don't need one. So, I paid to find that out. I may regret the Metal DL suit, I don't know yet, I need to get more time in it and discover if I can get anything out of it or not. So far it's just been an uncomfortable way to DL.
I have bought almost nothing new or at MSRP, and I frequently come out even or ahead on stuff that I buy. The Echo bike I had was the worst piece of cardio equipment I have ever used, but I sold it for a subsatantial portion of theprice I paid for the package lot that it was part of - and I still have the bars and bumpers and DB's from that package.
My main regret so far is not buying DB's over the years and thus not having a bigger collection of fixed DB's at this point.

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:43 pm

Regret buying a Pioneer Cut belt (just kidding, its the best!)

Got a Titan Adjustable bench that is hot garbage. It was 50 bucks as part of a T3 rack package.

Bought 3 different slingshot elbow cuffs and 3 different neoprene elbow sleeves but they never get used because my elbow pain was cured by using wrist wraps and thumb under for squats (i/o dumbass SS style).

FredM

Post by FredM » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:37 pm

Really thought I'd regret some Titan purchases but actually love all of them (Deadlift jack, Roller Cups, Sandwich cups, handle attachments, plate loaded kettlebell). The Deadlift jack had the six pounds of shavings I'd expect from Titan but everything in the last two years has been pretty high quality and literally the only game in town for my R3 Rack (fu** you, Rogue). I finally got fed up with the red shavings all over my bar from using the j cup protectors (since Rogue can't add rubber to the front of jcups) and bought the sandwich cups last week. 3 days benching with them and I'm possibly even happier with those than the roller cups which have been a dream for squatting with my 20kg OPB (if it's not lined up perfectly on walk out I'll bang it).

So my only real regret is actually Rogue. I wish I hadn't bought the DB-15s and had just waited until I outgrew my Bowflex 552s and saved for Ironmasters or a fixed set. I also bought proloc collars just for them that I regret (they suck and move).

I would also regret buying my Vulcan lb rubber change plates because, unlike the Rogue's, the tolerances aren't tight enough making the whole concept kinda pointless (they slip off as easily as normal plates). However, because the 5 lbers are slightly taller than normal 10 lb plates, they actually work great with the DB-15s for now -- it allows me to start with 25 lbs and quickly add 2.5-10 lb plates without having to move the bar.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:53 am

REGRETS

Rogue SML-2, not that it hasn't been fine or served its purpose extremely well... I just wish I would have gone with an R-3 or something...

That USSF membership I paid for once years ago...

RIP OFFS
KOTJ wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:06 am Rip-off: Practical Programming book

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:20 am

I don’t find the gray book nor the blue book to be rip-offs or regrets. Both of them are lacking, but they are good work in terms of figuring things out in terms of what works and what doesn’t while helping one disprove some bad logic along the way.

While I’m guessing there may be better books in terms of understanding loaded movement, muscular hypertrophy, and possibly programming for strength gains, they probably aren’t as cheap as either of those books nor as accessible in terms of prior knowledge.

This doesn’t mean I haven’t drawn childish cartoons in the blue book because some of the stuff is so ludicrous.

mouse

Post by mouse » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:42 am

I also regret getting some bands from Cerberus... to be faiirrr at the time they were 'new' and maybe they got their supplier/production kinks worked out but when I bought mine I got two that should have been a pair and were wildly different dimensions. Off by like six inches or so if I recall. They made it right and sent me another one that was "closer" but it was still sort of off. They still get used but I do regret going through the hassle of not just getting them from a more established source at the time.