Bodybuilding Templates

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Brackish

Bodybuilding Templates

Post by Brackish » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:57 pm

Anyone have any good suggestions for getting #swole? I've been running my own programming for about a year now, and I'm struggling when it comes to actually lifting heavy shit. My back is constantly hurt. My knee hurts. My right bicep is pissed off, etc. I realized that I don't really care about being able to lift "really heavy" stuff anymore. I'm never going to compete, so I'll settle for looking like I can lift "really heavy". Anyone have any suggestions for that sort of thing?

Current programming is an upper/lower split 5 days a week with a main lift (bench, squat, press, deadlift) with 1 heavy (4-6 reps) set and 4 backs offs (8-12 reps) followed by approximately 4 accessories. For example, Monday is bench with ez-bar curls, tricep push downs, seated row, and dumbbell bench. I feel like I've made decent progress this past year with that type of stuff, but I want to make sure I'm not leaving anything on the table.

Any and all help would be appreciated!

KOTJ
Superstar

Re: Bodybuilding Templates

Post by KOTJ » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:50 pm

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:24 pm

Baker BB has a template I have been using with slight modification. I subbed rack pulls for deadlift (lower back issue) and HB squat (tendonitis in elbow). I think of it as a general strength program. I forget the template name but below is a link to my log.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =956607367

OrderInChaos

Post by OrderInChaos » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:43 am

Brackish wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:57 pm Anyone have any good suggestions for getting #swole? I've been running my own programming for about a year now, and I'm struggling when it comes to actually lifting heavy shit. My back is constantly hurt. My knee hurts. My right bicep is pissed off, etc. I realized that I don't really care about being able to lift "really heavy" stuff anymore. I'm never going to compete, so I'll settle for looking like I can lift "really heavy". Anyone have any suggestions for that sort of thing?

Current programming is an upper/lower split 5 days a week with a main lift (bench, squat, press, deadlift) with 1 heavy (4-6 reps) set and 4 backs offs (8-12 reps) followed by approximately 4 accessories. For example, Monday is bench with ez-bar curls, tricep push downs, seated row, and dumbbell bench. I feel like I've made decent progress this past year with that type of stuff, but I want to make sure I'm not leaving anything on the table.

Any and all help would be appreciated!
Baker’s setup here is very good - still a little “strength first” in approach. https://www.andybaker.com/a-plan-for-an ... -december/

How much of a pivot away from pure strength are you looking to implement? For middle path Alex Bromley has some great ideas and programs in his very reasonably priced ebooks. If you’re looking for straight up hypertrophy focus the options are rather different.

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:26 am

I’m not particularly interested in hypertrophy, but “bodybuilding” templates (even bro splits) are generally fun (whereas strength ones are boring and dull).

It must be the crazy variety, I guess.

OrderInChaos

Post by OrderInChaos » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:58 am

AlanMackey wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:26 am I’m not particularly interested in hypertrophy, but “bodybuilding” templates (even bro splits) are generally fun (whereas strength ones are boring and dull).

It must be the crazy variety, I guess.
My ADHD brain, lacking executive function, agrees. I’m not in a block where I want to spend 2hrs in the gym each sesh, but it’s fun as hell to hit a variety of chest and back stuff one day, feel toasted, then continue along the body part split doing the same. I’ve had a few cycles of strength focused stuff (HVLF and a Bromley run) where the ADHD superhuman focus kicked in so boredom wasn’t a problem. That’s been rare though.

Cardio is the opposite - structured programs with lots of LSS volume scratch the itch, even if the progressions are boring and not varied.

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:27 pm

KOTJ wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:50 pm I'd pick something from here

https://rpstrength.com/rp-store?selecte ... menu_store
I’d do this as well. I think its best that you go full bore into pure hypertrophy training and try not to have any strength bias or big 3 centrism in your programming for a while, since it sounds like you’re pretty beat up.

I’m in the same boat but I probably won't heed my own advice unfortunately (partially because I’m indoctrinated into muh strength lifts, partially because it’s hard to do hypertrophy training in a home gym with almost no machines).

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:27 pm

janoycresva wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:27 pm

I’d do this as well. I think its best that you go full bore into pure hypertrophy training and try not to have any strength bias or big 3 centrism in your programming for a while, since it sounds like you’re pretty beat up.

I’m in the same boat but I probably won't heed my own advice unfortunately (partially because I’m indoctrinated into muh strength lifts, partially because it’s hard to do hypertrophy training in a home gym with almost no machines).
Do you have a lat pulldown low row? Or pulley system?

quikky

Post by quikky » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:31 pm

4 day routine with rest-pause (RP) work:
(RP = 1 set to failure, 30 seconds rest, 1 set to failure, 30 seconds rest, 1 last set to failure)

Day 1
Bench 2 sets of 5-8 reps @ 8-9 (I do one heavier, one lighter)
Seated Rows RP
Seated Dumbbell Press 2 sets of 6-10 @9-10
Lat Work RP (I like one arm pulls at around 45 degrees)
Tricep Pushdowns RP
EZ Cable Curls RP

Day 2
Squat 2 sets of 5-8 @ 8-9
RDL 2 sets of 8-10 @8-9
Dumbbell Split Squat Quad Emphasis (one foot on bench, and let working leg knee travel forward and focus on quad engagement) 2 sets of 6-8 @ 9
Seated Calves RP

Day 3
Cardio/Off

Day 4
Press 2 sets of 5-10 @ 9-10
Pull-ups or lat pulldowns RP
Incline Dumbbell Press 2 sets of 5-10 @9-10
Lateral Raises RP
Tricep Pushdown Variation RP

Day 5
Deadlift 2 sets of 4 @ 8-9
SSB Squat 2 sets of 5-10 @9
Leg Curls RP
Standing Calf Raises RP (Note: I do them with a slower eccentric and pause at the bottom to take the stretch reflex out of the Achilles, doing that can make your calves SORE, so adjust this down to either just 1 set to failure, or 1 set + 1 rest pause until you're sure you can tolerate more)
Dumbbell Curls RP

----

I have been enjoying this training as of late pretty much at every level. If you're not interested in doing the compound barbell lifts at all, you can easily sub squats with hacks, leg presses, belt squats, etc (can do the RP style that way too), DLs with SLDL, etc.

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:32 am

KOTJ wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:27 pm
janoycresva wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:27 pm

Do you have a lat pulldown low row? Or pulley system?
I have a plate loaded pulldown and low row, yeah.

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:06 am

@janoycresva You can do a ton of hypertrophy work.

Leg curls (standing, kneeling, or laying), leg extensions, hip adductor and abductor, curls, triceps, shoulders, glutes (cable pull through), et al.

Get ankle attachments, tricep rope ladder thingy, and good handle attachments.

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:05 am

KOTJ wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:06 am @janoycresva You can do a ton of hypertrophy work.

Leg curls (standing, kneeling, or laying), leg extensions, hip adductor and abductor, curls, triceps, shoulders, glutes (cable pull through), et al.

Didn’t consider ankle attachments for leg extensions and leg curls, might try that out

KOTJ
Superstar

Post by KOTJ » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:49 am

janoycresva wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:05 am
KOTJ wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:06 am @janoycresva You can do a ton of hypertrophy work.

Didn’t consider ankle attachments for leg extensions and leg curls, might try that out
This also works for setting up both legs for extension and curls, or just DIY something...and also, works for its intended use.

*link wont work: VikingStrength tricep rope on Amazon*

If you have an adjustable bench, you can use the low row for preacher curls.

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:01 am

Thanks for all the replies! I'll take some time and look through them. Going to be a week or two before I'm able to do any serious lifting anyways. Managed to put a nail completely through my foot this weekend, so I'll be relegated to machines for a bit until I can walk somewhat normally again.