First meet advice

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

augeleven

First meet advice

Post by augeleven » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:35 pm

I’m less than three weeks out from my first powerlifting meet. I’m an agoraphobe by nature, although I’m generally immune to stage fright. I’ll be going alone, as I have no friends, and my family has other engagements. Although to be honest, I don’t blame anybody not wanting to hang out at a powerlifting meet all day.

I’m looking for first-time advice, tips, tricks, horror stories etc.

My plan is to try to talk to other humans and ask someone to video record my attempts. I will ignore that I will probably be in last place and that anybody recording will be laughing at my sub 3playt squat opener.

My goals, in order of importance:

1) weigh in at 198. This is primarily a weight loss goal. And I don’t want to lift on a different date.

2) Go 8-9 for 9. Or at least not bomb out.

3) total 1000. I’m lifting in the RPS federation, and I’m pretty sure they lift in pounds, but I’ll have a kg conversion cheat sheet at the ready just in case. I’m feeling confident-ish that I can go 335/245/420. We’ll see.

alek

Re: First meet advice

Post by alek » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:25 am

Dear @augeleven,

I had my first ever powerlifting meet this past May, and in general it was a very good experience. Given my rather extensive experience as a competitive powerlifter, if I had to give a noob some advice, then I'd say

1) If you can pre-check your equipment the night before the meet, then it's probably a good idea to do so. Bring all of your stuff--singlet, socks, shoes, belt, sleeves, wrist wraps, t-shirt, chalk, etc. in one bag. That makes it easier for the people to check your stuff, and then leave it all in that bag until you're ready to go back to the meet the next day. That way you won't lose/forget shit. Plus you don't have to be there as early on meet day.

2) Print or take a photo of the meet day schedule so that you know when check-in is, when weigh-in is, when you'll start lifting, etc. It can be pretty hectic the morning of the meet--lots of cat herding.

3) Bring food and drink. Once you weigh-in, you can eat whatever you want. I brought a bunch of protein bars, water, and a gatorade. Just make it simple and easy to store, eat, and dispose of. The organizers may have food for sale.

4) If there's a drug testing policy, then make sure you know the rules and protocols. Will they do the testing after the meet is over? If so, then you probably don't want to leave early unless you get called. A no-show can result in automatic penalties.

5) Bring headphones to listen to music, podcasts, whatever. There can a lot of "hurry up and wait" time. I did a real-time post in my log during the meet that helped pass the time.

6) Everyone is genuinely super supportive at the meet. Most of the lifters will be in their own heads and really not paying attention to anyone else, but no one will be judgmental or an asshat about how much you lift.

7) You'll have to warmup with others, and most people will be super hesitant to talk to one another--it'll be like a middle school dance in the cafeteria. Put on your teacher hat and take charge of the rack/space you want to use if need be.

8) If there are coaches/handlers for other lifters willing to load the warmups, then let them do it and be sure to thank them.

9) There will probably be chalk, ammonia, and baby powder floating around, so you may not have to bring your own.

10) Do not get the baby powder on your hands. If there's a coach/handler willing to put it on you, then let them do it and be sure to thank them.

11) When squatting, after you unrack and get into your start position, make eye contact with the head judge. That'll let them know that you're ready to squat. I did not make eye contact on my first attempt, and they didn't give me the squat command. I started to think that I was not in proper position, so I kinda started fidgeting. I then looked up at him to see if he had something to say, and he gave me the squat command. After the attempt, he said that since I didn't look at him, he thought I was still doing my "ritual".

12) You can refuse a hand-off on bench if you want.

13) Have fun. If you get anxious, just remember that one day you will die. What's that bit of anxiety compared to death?

Love, your friendly neighborhood forum idiot,

@alek

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:24 am

Good advice, @alek

Couple more things:
1) Bring a folding chair. You can leave it in the car if they have enough seating for all the athletes and spectators. I've been to meets where they don't.
2) Study the federation rules. You need to get use to the commands. The biggest rookie mistake is messing up the commands. I missed a bench and a squat during my first meet by missing commands. Also, feel good about your depth on squat. I've seen numerous athletes that were surprised when missing squats based on depth.
3) Open light. I generally recommend an opener that is 90% of your target 3rd attempt. It should be a lift you can hit any day of the week.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:37 am

augeleven wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:35 pm I’m less than three weeks out from my first powerlifting meet. I’m an agoraphobe by nature, although I’m generally immune to stage fright. I’ll be going alone, as I have no friends, and my family has other engagements. Although to be honest, I don’t blame anybody not wanting to hang out at a powerlifting meet all day.

I’m looking for first-time advice, tips, tricks, horror stories etc.

My plan is to try to talk to other humans and ask someone to video record my attempts. I will ignore that I will probably be in last place and that anybody recording will be laughing at my sub 3playt squat opener.

My goals, in order of importance:

1) weigh in at 198. This is primarily a weight loss goal. And I don’t want to lift on a different date.

2) Go 8-9 for 9. Or at least not bomb out.

3) total 1000. I’m lifting in the RPS federation, and I’m pretty sure they lift in pounds, but I’ll have a kg conversion cheat sheet at the ready just in case. I’m feeling confident-ish that I can go 335/245/420. We’ll see.
1. If possible, weigh in and submit your attempts the day before. This makes the day itself a ton less stressful and also means you can eat and drink normally or even a little more the day leading in to the meet once you've weighed in
2. Make sure you're familiar with rules for the lifts and also for equipment (sleeves, wraps, belts, etc)
3. Bring food and drinks you're accustomed to, and make sure to have plenty to drink available for the day in particular.
4. Know your attempts in advance, especially first and seconds. Go in with a plan, and that plan should include a backup. A decent way to pick attempts is to make your first 88% of your goal, your second 94% of your goal and the third your goal. Be prepared to drop second and thirds on the fly depending on how your first attempt moves. In practice that can look like attempts one, 88%; attempt two, 94% +/- 5-10 pounds; attempt three 100% +/- 5-10 pounds
5. Do not touch a weight for at least three days before the meet, preferably five to seven. This is assuming you have done some kind of peak, and even if you haven't stay off the weights for three days prior at least
6. A good rule of thumb is to take your last heavy deadlift 10-14 days out, your last heavy squat 7-10 days out and your last heavy bench at most five days out, but you can line it up with your squat too.
7. If seven to 10 days out you start to feel like crap and like you've gotten weaker don't worry. It just means you're overreaching and if you recover fully will be very strong on meet day as a result of supercompensation.
8. Nobody is going to laugh at your attempts. Everyone had a first meet.
9. Be prepared to warm up either faster or slower than you're accustomed to. Some meets run fast and some slow. Keep an eye on how the flights move. Try to find a couple of people warming up close to your weights and work in with them, it'll make life easier
10. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you're unsure about something

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:25 pm

Updating here:
There is an optional day before weigh-in from 3-6pm. I have that Friday off (This is the weekend people in NJ hate teachers…) so I’ll probably fast until I weigh in, then properly start celebrating my birthday weekend after.

Also I already won the meet, as I’m the only 198 masters 1 raw classic lifter. Looking at past records, the next lowest 198 squat is maybe 100 pounds heavier than mine. Cool x4

I’m stressing over two things:
1) family has the flu. I might have to bag out if I catch the flu. That would suck. I almost hope I catch it right now so I can get it over with and recover.
2) I’m still hung up over going alone. It’s not the end of the world if I don’t get vids of my lift.
I can ask for help.
It’s going to be fine. I’m going to be fine. Everything will be fine.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:54 pm

augeleven wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:25 pm Updating here:
There is an optional day before weigh-in from 3-6pm. I have that Friday off (This is the weekend people in NJ hate teachers…) so I’ll probably fast until I weigh in, then properly start celebrating my birthday weekend after.

Also I already won the meet, as I’m the only 198 masters 1 raw classic lifter. Looking at past records, the next lowest 198 squat is maybe 100 pounds heavier than mine. Cool x4

1) family has the flu. I might have to bag out if I catch the flu. That would suck. I almost hope I catch it right now so I can get it over with and recover.
2) I’m still hung up over going alone. It’s not the end of the world if I don’t get vids of my lift.
I can ask for help.
It will be fine. You're right.

There will be no issue getting someone to film your lifts. Don't worry.

alek

Post by alek » Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:02 am

I can ask for help.
You’ll be fine. You’ll do well.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:10 am

I can ask for help.
Other people have a "Crew" usually, there is always a bunch of people not actually lifting around and they are generally going to be friendly and helpful. I know at Strongman stuff my wife was always with me and often took pictures for other people and stuff like that. Don't worry about it, you are going to a generally friendly environment.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:10 am

I have filmed a number of times for the guy lifting just ahead of me.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:07 am

Sucks about the flu. Not much you can do about it, so not worth worrying about. Although if it were me, I'd probably wear a mask at home. Not to get into a whole thing, but I think the best function of a preventative mask is something to stop you from touching your own mouth and nose.

My wife has gone to all my meets, and while she technically provided "support", she didn't actually do anything helpful beside film my lifts.

You'll make single serving friends pretty quickly, and people are more than willing to help film for you.

None of this is new news, but just to reiterate:

Open with something you know you can crush. It's easy to follow commands when you're not worried about that lift, it gets a score on the board, and lets the judges know you can hit depth, hold a pause, control your deadlift etc.

My second attempts were always something I knew I wouldn't fail. Again- build that total.

Third attempts were still numbers I was very confident with. I'm here to build MY highest total, not recklessly swing for the fences. Other personality types might approach their 3rd attempts differently, and that's cool too. But I've only PR'd 1 lift in the 3 meets I've done, and it was because of kilos vs pounds (not including paused bench because I didn't often practice paused benching [it was always really close to my touch and go numbers]).

Oh, here's something more novel: I get "nervous tummy" where I almost can't force myself to eat when I'm anxious. If you get that, maybe plan for liquid meals, especially for breakfast after the weigh in. There was no way I was ever going to eat a big salty sandwich for breakfast.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:18 am

broseph wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:07 am Sucks about the flu. Not much you can do about it, so not worth worrying about. Although if it were me, I'd probably wear a mask at home. Not to get into a whole thing, but I think the best function of a preventative mask is something to stop you from touching your own mouth and nose.

My wife has gone to all my meets, and while she technically provided "support", she didn't actually do anything helpful beside film my lifts.

You'll make single serving friends pretty quickly, and people are more than willing to help film for you.

Open with something you know you can crush. It's easy to follow commands when you're not worried about that lift, it gets a score on the board, and lets the judges know you can hit depth, hold a pause, control your deadlift etc.

My second attempts were always something I knew I wouldn't fail. Again- build that total.

Third attempts were still numbers I was very confident with. I'm here to build MY highest total, not recklessly swing for the fences. Other personality types might approach their 3rd attempts differently, and that's cool too. But I've only PR'd 1 lift in the 3 meets I've done, and it was because of kilos vs pounds (not including paused bench because I didn't often practice paused benching [it was always really close to my touch and go numbers]).

Oh, here's something more novel: I get "nervous tummy" where I almost can't force myself to eat when I'm anxious. If you get that, maybe plan for liquid meals, especially for breakfast after the weigh in. There was no way I was ever going to eat a big salty sandwich for breakfast.
That's an often overlooked aspect, and important. If you give the judges no reason to put you under extra scrutiny on your second and third attempts it will only help you.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:33 am

broseph wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:07 am Sucks about the flu. Not much you can do about it, so not worth worrying about. Although if it were me, I'd probably wear a mask at home. Not to get into a whole thing, but I think the best function of a preventative mask is something to stop you from touching your own mouth and nose.

If you cut watr to make weight, the easiest thing is pedialyte. The couple of U105kg contests that I did I drank a bottle right after I stepped off the scale and then drank another one more slowly between weigh-in and food. At the contest bars and protein shakes were my friend. Real food is often asking for a problem during competition. Easy to digest calories that don't require thought or effort are best. You don't want a sudden need to drop a deuce or generate gas. I did not have "Nervous Tummy", but what I ate could have a dramatic effect on how things went.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:29 am

This came out early this year.
Pairs nicely with the older one from JTS