Beef and sweet potato

Dinner: 1 slice supreme pizza.

Training:
80 minutes of bike riding.

DCR

Re: Munei Muso: Turtle Bear's Log

Post by DCR » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:17 am

TurtleBear wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:55 amProtein oatmeal
This stuff might be the perfect healthy food.

TurtleBear

Post by TurtleBear » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:46 am

10/12/2023

Weight: 216

Meals: Protein oatmeal

Lunch: 2 slices of supreme pizza

Dinner: 2 Brats with a side of oven baked potatoes. Banana before class

Training:
60 minute karate class. Class was lighter than I expected, so I was worried I had over eaten with the 2nd slice of pizza at lunch. But! I woke up lighter this morning (215.4) so it is all moving in the right direction! Class was great, despite being slower paced. I've done this stuff a long time, and I left feeling like a beginner which is a wonderful feeling.

TurtleBear

Post by TurtleBear » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:47 am

DCR wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:17 am
TurtleBear wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:55 amProtein oatmeal
This stuff might be the perfect healthy food.
Man it really is. I never did it in the past because the oatmeal would just wreck my stomach.
But my wife gave me the secret, which is to let the oats soak overnight before eating them. No gas, no cramps no issues at all.

TurtleBear

Post by TurtleBear » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:13 am

@mouse

Hey man, I was wondering if I could get your advice on training sandbag stuff. I've played around with them and know the movements okay, but mostly as a "fun" kind of thing. I'm currently running a cut and am using the sandbags for a primary source of leg volume. Not doing any squatting or deadlifting, just some martial arts and bodyweight conditioning. Any guidelines or pitfalls you can think of as far as frequency or duration?
I picked up Alsruhe's 60 Sandbag sessions and was just gonna kinda do random sessions from those. But Im trying to avoid digging myself into a hole.

Thanks man

mouse

Post by mouse » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:37 pm

TurtleBear wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:13 am mouse

Hey man, I was wondering if I could get your advice on training sandbag stuff. I've played around with them and know the movements okay, but mostly as a "fun" kind of thing. I'm currently running a cut and am using the sandbags for a primary source of leg volume. Not doing any squatting or deadlifting, just some martial arts and bodyweight conditioning. Any guidelines or pitfalls you can think of as far as frequency or duration?
I picked up Alsruhe's 60 Sandbag sessions and was just gonna kinda do random sessions from those. But Im trying to avoid digging myself into a hole.

Thanks man
I wish I had something worthwhile to offer you in terms of 'programming' for them but I honest to God mostly a) have a specific goal in mind if I have a contest (and even then I mostly wing it) or b) just kinda do what I feel like if I feel like using it, I can't remember the last time I legit 'programmed' sandbag. 90% of the time when I use them it's a carry/load, once in a blew moon I will use it as a 'dynamic' variant and pick/shoulder on a clock sometimes.

Now if you asked how to cheat at them I have some a nugget or two hahaha...

For real though Alsruhe has some interesting ideas that are worth trying out, I've never followed his stuff to the letter (mostly because he's very athletic with a monster work capacity and I am incredibly lazy) but I have stolen some stuff once or twice.

Sorry I'm not a better resource lol

TurtleBear

Post by TurtleBear » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:05 am

10/13/2023:

Weight: 215.4

Breakfast: 2 brats
potatoes

Lunch: 2 brats
potatoes (twice gurl)

Dinner: 2 rotisserie chicken wraps with bbq sauce and cheese.

No training of any kind today. My dad took all of our kids for the night, so I scrapped training so that my wife and I could enjoy the fullness of a quiet night at home. It was absolutely wonderful.

TurtleBear

Post by TurtleBear » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:14 am

mouse wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:37 pm
TurtleBear wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:13 am mouse

Thanks man
I wish I had something worthwhile to offer you in terms of 'programming' for them but I honest to God mostly a) have a specific goal in mind if I have a contest (and even then I mostly wing it) or b) just kinda do what I feel like if I feel like using it, I can't remember the last time I legit 'programmed' sandbag. 90% of the time when I use them it's a carry/load, once in a blew moon I will use it as a 'dynamic' variant and pick/shoulder on a clock sometimes.

Now if you asked how to cheat at them I have some a nugget or two hahaha...

For real though Alsruhe has some interesting ideas that are worth trying out, I've never followed his stuff to the letter (mostly because he's very athletic with a monster work capacity and I am incredibly lazy) but I have stolen some stuff once or twice.

Sorry I'm not a better resource lol
Thanks for the reply!

I've kind of always done the same with the little Ive used them. This will be a good experiment then as I will hopefully have something to report back. On the one hand, without squats or deads I feel like one could tolerate quite a bit of volume with them. I've worked construction jobs moving bags of concrete for hours or even days at a time. On the other hand bags of concrete aren't typically 155lbs, and I wasnt throwing them over my shoulder or squatting them for 8 reps. So I think' I'll just auto-regulate and go from there.

Alsruhe's work capacity is absolutely ridiculous. The fact that he is able to do the stuff he still is while cutting down trees all day n stuff now is just insane.

Thanks again man

mouse

Post by mouse » Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:30 am

TurtleBear wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:14 am Thanks for the reply!

I've kind of always done the same with the little Ive used them. This will be a good experiment then as I will hopefully have something to report back. On the one hand, without squats or deads I feel like one could tolerate quite a bit of volume with them. I've worked construction jobs moving bags of concrete for hours or even days at a time. On the other hand bags of concrete aren't typically 155lbs, and I wasnt throwing them over my shoulder or squatting them for 8 reps. So I think' I'll just auto-regulate and go from there.

Alsruhe's work capacity is absolutely ridiculous. The fact that he is able to do the stuff he still is while cutting down trees all day n stuff now is just insane.

Thanks again man
No worries man, I've obviously never used them how you're planning but I don't think I've ever found them to sap too much from regular training. If anything after having not done them for a while I'll notice the fatigue in my rhomboids and traps but that goes away pretty quick.

TurtleBear

Post by TurtleBear » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:09 am

10/14/2023

Weight: 216

Breakfast: 1 Brat and potatoes

Lunch: 2 egg burritos with those low carb tortilla things. Added cheese. 6 eggs alltogether

Dinner: Bowl of white bean chicken chili

Training: Yesterday I did basement demolition for a few hours. I had planned on training afterwards but I was pretty smoked by the end of doing that.

TurtleBear

Post by TurtleBear » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:42 am

10/15/2023

Weight 213.4 :shock:

Breakfast: Protein shake

Lunch: Lamb, potatoes, salad (So good)

Dinner: Rotisserie chicken nachos (Also so good)

So, one of my rules I am following is no liquid calories. That includes protein shakes. But on Sundays, I fast before taking communion. Which means I am not doing my first meal until like noon. On a normal day I have eaten breakfast and lunch by that point, so I am just trying to get some calories in to compensate for my first meal.

Training: None. Twas a sweats and reading kind of day

TurtleBear

Post by TurtleBear » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:33 am

10/16/2023

Breakfast: Protein oatmeal

Lunch: Rotisserie chicken nachos

Dinner: Beef enchilada

Training: 40 minutes of biking
1 hour karate class.

This morning's weight: 212.4

TurtleBear

Post by TurtleBear » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:16 am

10/17/2023

Breakfast: Protein oatmeal

Lunch: BBQ breakfast burrito

Dinner: Sausage veggie oven bake.

Training: Oh look, some actual gym training so you guys don't have to just sit and read my riveting food log.

"If you can't handle 10 minutes of hard conditioning before you start your actual work in the gym. You're soft" -Brian alsruhe.

10 minutes of bodyweight conditioning
EMOM
3 burpees
3 squats
3 push ups
12 mountain climbers
12 jumping jacks

Bag work:
32 minutes
40 seconds on 20 seconds off,
switch techniques every minute

Sandbag session: "Bullet train"
This session was supposed to be
3 rounds EMOM
Minute 1: 50ft carry
Minute 2: 100ft carry
Minute 3: 150ft carry

I couldn't get the 150ft carry with my chosen sandbag, so I just alternated between a 50ft and 100ft carry EMOM for 9 minutes. Sandbag was 110lbs

This morning's weight: 212.4.
Quick note on this as well. The BBQ breakfast burrito was from a local bbq place here in town. Me and some of the guys went there for lunch. I stuck to the rule of just getting 1 thing for going out, but this burrito (calorically) was probably way more than I would typically eat at lunch. Which is probably why my weight was the same this morning haha. Burrito was good though, and my weight didnt go back up!
Last edited by TurtleBear on Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

TurtleBear

Post by TurtleBear » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:53 am

10/18/2023

Breakfast: Sausage veggies mix thing

Lunch: Rotisserie chicken nachos

Dinner: White bean chicken chili

Training: Structure as yesterday:
10 minutes body weight conditioning:
2 Rounds
1 Inverted Row
2 push ups
3 squats

2 Inverted rows
4 push ups
6 squats

3 inverted rows
6 push ups
9 Squats

4 inverted rows
8 push ups
12 squats

5 inverted rows
10 push ups
15 squats.

Bag work: 32 minutes of heavy bag work
40 seconds on, 20 seconds off

10 minute sandbag session: "Boulder Shoulders"
2 Sandbag over shoulders EMOM w 155lb sandbag.
I gotta say, I felt like I was limping in when I started the bodyweight conditioning. It was late and I had had a full day. But by the time I got around to the sandbag session, I felt great. Sandbag felt light and my hips felt really explosive.

I swear guys, I feel like I am already starting to move better and more explosively. I am only down 7lbs so far, so it might just be in my head. But my kicks are starting to come along, and that sandbag was really flying over my shoulder. Good stuff :D

Weight this morning: 213.4. I totally overdid it on the nachos yesterday, I knew what I was doing when I did it and I did it anyway. "oh it's not that many more calories I'll be fine". Today I shall do better

TurtleBear

Post by TurtleBear » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:49 am

10/19/2023

Breakfast: Rotisserie Chicken Sandwhich

Lunch: Rotisserie Chicken veggie mix thing

Dinner: 2 chicken drumsticks with potatoes

Training:
80 minutes of bike riding
Karate class--> This class was so light I considered not even listing it. But its a log, and its worth noting I went.

Today's weight: 212.6

TurtleBear

Post by TurtleBear » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:24 am

10/20/2023
Breakfast: Protein oatbar bake thing.

Lunch: Cookout at work. Had a double cheese burger

Dinner: Gyro and a Caesar salad

So quick note here. This is where having rules in place was really good.
The standard plate for the lunch cookout yesterday was: A hamburger, a hot dog, a bag of chips and a cookie. With seconds encouraged.
At dinner last night, the Gyro came with a huge plate of fries and another additional side.

That's easily an additional 1,000 calories. I wouldn't have woken up lighter this morning, probably would have woken up quite a bit heavier.
I really like the guidelines Im following because it allows for flexibility in life, but also gives me guidelines to keep from overeating.

Training:
10 minutes of body weight conditioning
Minute 1: 1 Inverted Row/2 Burpees/ 3 push ups/ 4 Squats
Minute 2: 2 Inverted rows/ 3 burpees/ 4 push ups/ 5 squats
Minute 3: 3 inverted rows/ 4 burpees/ 5 push ups/ 6 squats
Minute 4: 4 inverted rows/ 5 burpees/ 6 push ups/ 7 squats
Minute 5: 5 inverted rows/ 6 burpees/ 7 push ups/ 8 squats
Minute 6: 6 inverted rows/ 7 burpees/ 8 push ups/ 9 squats
The remaining 4 minutes I started to climb back down the ladder.

Bagwork and Makiwara: 43 minutes
Did a completely different lay out for this session. 100 kicks each side for each variation of kick.
Cardio demands weren't too high, but man my hips and legs were smoked

Today's weight: 211.4

TurtleBear

Post by TurtleBear » Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:42 am

10/22/2023

10/21/2023

Breakfast: 6 eggs on 2 "keto" tortillas

Lunch: Peanut butter and jelly on homemade bread

Dinner: Beef/venison mix taco.

Training: 90 minute karate class

Today's weight: 211.4

Nothing exciting to report. Just adding another tick mark

TurtleBear

Post by TurtleBear » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:01 pm

10/24/2023

Hey guys, just wanted to shoot a quick update. I'm on a hunting trip and will be back to regularly scheduled life tomorrow.
Haven't been too worried about my diet while out in the woods. Just mostly trying not to overdo it :)

DCR

Post by DCR » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:11 pm

That’s cool, @TurtleBear. I’m driving a few states over to spend this weekend at a cabin in the mountains in Georgia, and plan to eat like I’m about to hibernate.

TurtleBear

Post by TurtleBear » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:38 am

DCR wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:11 pm That’s cool, @TurtleBear. I’m driving a few states over to spend this weekend at a cabin in the mountains in Georgia, and plan to eat like I’m about to hibernate.
Dude Georgia is beautiful. My wife and I went there last year to get away for a few days and it was incredible.
I hope the food is good man, enjoy your trip.