I need to just do something....right?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

DIR
Titillating Toupee

I need to just do something....right?

Post by DIR » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:51 pm

Not lifted on the regular for a long ass time ....2018ish......life has been absolutely bat shit.... trying to reign it in here.... substance abuse.... divorce....much other crazy....just do something right...?

Got a membership at a gym the day after I left a detox in Feb of 22....have not gone yet but it's really on my mind lately....iron was always good for my mind.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: I need to just do something....right?

Post by mgil » Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:16 pm

@DIR, make the gym part of your schedule 3x a week and just jump into it. No need to start a program right away, simply get used to the environment and feeling out what you want to accomplish. Then start crafting a plan.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:48 am

DIR wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:51 pm Not lifted on the regular for a long ass time ....2018ish......life has been absolutely bat shit.... trying to reign it in here.... substance abuse.... divorce....much other crazy....just do something right...?

Got a membership at a gym the day after I left a detox in Feb of 22....have not gone yet but it's really on my mind lately....iron was always good for my mind.
I second @mgil , just go and do something. It doesn't have to be a lot, and you can just go by whatever feels right when you walk in. Don't put pressure on yourself just get in some kind of work and enjoy yourself.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:29 am

Yup yup yup.

I think getting into a routine counts as a big win.

In the spirit of building a routine, you might want to consider making the gym a daily thing. Or at least an "after or before work" daily thing (assuming you have a typical work schedule). Shorter sessions feel great and you won't dread them.

And like the others have said; you definitely don't need a planned progressive program right now. Just do a few easy sets of whatever you feel like doing. The activity and routine will tickle some of the feel good parts of your brain and motivate you to choose a focused direction.

DIR
Titillating Toupee

Post by DIR » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:54 pm

Yeah u guys are all right about it....I know it too. Breaking back into good habits can be as hard as getting out of bad ones.....it's that first dive in that has the most resistance after that there can be momentum on your side.

Lol on a side note....Thotts on deadlifting after a full distal bicep rupture? This was back in 2020... Thonking no mixed grip and use the fucking straps or hook grip

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:59 pm

Straps are fine. You’re working your posterior chain, not your grip.

DIR
Titillating Toupee

Post by DIR » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:02 pm

Yeah @mgil I get that....I'm super paranoid about popping a tendon again but I love deadlifts....u had a similar injury ya?...I know Tim did

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:25 am

Most of my deadlifts are with the trap bar nowadays. The neutral grip is way safer for that.

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:25 am

TimK's bicep thread turned me off of mix grip deads about a year ago. I felt like it was more "pure" but honestly who gives a shit if your grip can hold the bar. May have saved my bicep in the future.

ccoyle

Post by ccoyle » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:32 am

When you feel your grip slipping, you forget your other cues and your form deteriorates.