Inversion table

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

oldguy

Inversion table

Post by oldguy » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:58 am

Anyone have one ? Real or a waste of $ in your experience?

Thanks

mbasic

Re: Inversion table

Post by mbasic » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:53 am

I had one about 15-17 years ago .... I don't think it helped. Got rid of it.
I haven't had back problems in quite a while. Once in about every 3-4 years I'll get a minor back tweak that I'm quickly over with in a week or so.

Seems like from a spinal traction point of view, dead hangs (with straps?) would be better.

Some people claim circulatory/vascular reasons for using one....but IDK about that.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:08 am

mbasic wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:53 am I had one about 15-17 years ago .... I don't think it helped. Got rid of it.
I haven't had back problems in quite a while. Once in about every 3-4 years I'll get a minor back tweak that I'm quickly over with in a week or so.

Seems like from a spinal traction point of view, dead hangs (with straps?) would be better.

Some people claim circulatory/vascular reasons for using one....but IDK about that.
Basically exactly the same experience for me.

FredM

Post by FredM » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:16 am

I think dead hangs accomplish the same thing (and more -- shoulder mobility) for free.

And if you wanted to get really crazy, this would actually be better than an inversion table even in theory (imo)

https://www.spud-inc-straps.com/product ... illa-band/

For $300 less.

oldguy

Post by oldguy » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:26 am

Thanks guys. Thought it might be. Just a little desperate with lower back issues constantly flaring up.

FredM

Post by FredM » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:39 am

oldguy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:26 am Thanks guys. Thought it might be. Just a little desperate with lower back issues constantly flaring up.
I was there last year. I spent $400 on Rogue's reverse hyper. It messed my lower back up even worse.

IMO, unless you're moving seriously big weights, spinal compression is almost definitely not the cause of your pain. If you're sitting most of the day, it's far more likely to be tight/weak hip flexors and inactive/weak glutes. Stretching your hip flexors and doing some bridges at night until you can really feel your glutes contract hard, then adding in some focused glute work into your training (like hip thrusts) helps a ton with that (that's basically how I got rid of most of my lower back pain).

If you don't sit a lot and/or suffered a major injury in the past, it's probably another hip mobility issue where your body has compensated for the injury and you've never reprogrammed your muscles for healthy hips.

Whatever it is, your training can make it worse if you're not managing load well. Coming back from a layoff and trying to squat/pull a significant portion of your previous PRs is a good way to tweak your back. You have to progressively overload your spine just like the rest of your muscles.

hector

Post by hector » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:35 pm

I had an inversion table. Loved it. Gave it away to a friend bc I couldn't justify the space it took up, and after my back got better I didn't need it.
One word of warning, the inversion table keeps you in place by locking around your ankles. If you're heavier, go at a high decline, and hang long enough, it may irritate your ankles. It did mine.
Like others here, I've gotten a lot of benefit from just gripping a Bar and hanging on. I finish my workouts with several sets of scapular chins and hanging knee raises. It leaves my back feeling as good as the inversion table did.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:28 am

oldguy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:26 am Thanks guys. Thought it might be. Just a little desperate with lower back issues constantly flaring up.
You might try a back hyperextension bench.

I've had sciatica for 30-40 years. Providing I stay fit and stretch regularly I can keep it at bay. A couple months back, after I got back into working out, my lower back was nearly constantly uncomfortable. Not pain, per se, just uncomfortable. Picked up a Body-Solid back hyperextension bench locally, used. With just three test reps at the sellers and another half dozen after I got it home and cleaned up: Lower back discomfort was gone--just like that. Hasn't been back, since.

Plus, if you get the right one, the Body-Solid being one that is, you can do oblique dip/crunches with it.

bigx5murf

Post by bigx5murf » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:23 pm

I use inversion boots instead, since they take up basically no space. Definitely more of a learning curve, and higher odds of things going wrong. Dismounting often causes some disorienting light headedness.

I find it really helpful in alleviating the lower back pump after a heavy lower body day. Also great for hitting abs, and nothing hits hip flexors like reverse squats for me.